rp_pripyat_hl2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this about 6 months ago originally as a canals server idea, but then realised I could make something more of it.

Picked up on it a few days ago and did a load of work to restructure this original StalkerRP map into something thats actually useful for us.

So, the plan is........

• To combine server 1/2/3 dynamics by having all aspects in one map. To maximise the amount of players on a single server rather than spreading across 3 or 4.
  • The center of the map is what we consider "City roleplay".
  • A perimeter wall runs around the district 360 degrees.
  • On the other side of the perimeter wall, is considered canals / outlands territory.
  • The entire map is one huge dilapidated urban zone but surrounded by mixed scrubland, warehouses, farmhouses, old buildings etc.
  • Those who want to do Citizen roleplay can do so.
  • Those who want to do resistance roleplay can leave the city realistically by actually escaping through one of many methods.
  • By using transition points, anyone who has been to server 2 will then respawn back into the map already in the outland areas so they dont have to keep spawning inside the perimeter wall.
  • Also has canals, sewers, underground labs, bunkers.
  • Outland area is extensive with at least 5 key safehouses at each corner of the map rather than most where the rebels always hide in one spot. CCA / COTA patrols outside of the perimeter walls will have a long task to check all of the spots routinely.
  • Totally open plan layout.

I'll be hopefully running a stress test tomorrow night after I do a final compile and get it all uploaded to workshop.

In terms of optimisation, I have a decent PC so its hard to say how well it will fare on low end machines but thus far I havnt had any problems.
My only worry that it uses max brushes / entities / etc so it could become unstable at high populations but we'll see.

I may try and fit in a few more useful buildings before finishing just to make it better for loyalist groups etc.

2015-08-27_00005.jpg

2015-08-27_00001.jpg

2015-08-27_00006.jpg

2015-08-27_00004.jpg

2015-08-27_00003.jpg

2015-08-27_00002.jpg

pripyatplan.jpg

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507561128

I'd rather the resources from the lab go to something more citizen oriented, like a bar, or a saloon kinda thing, with a stage or a lot of open space for tables

I had one of those shower-ideas about city entrance/exits, if thats still on the agenda

1. Exit through the Ration Distrib. center, I think it offers the right kind of planning and commitment that should be needed to leave the city. "Continue to get beaten for your rations? Or sacrifice that life for the unknown?"
Of course, that would be difficult to enter the city through. (Edit: We don't really have ration distrib centers anymore, but A for effort right?... Hey, where'd everyone go?)

2. Entrance / Exit through locked CA offices, more of a way to sweet talk or stealth your way in / out. Also, the higher up in the loyalist ladder you are, the easier it will be to escape, giving those die-hard-loyalist-characters-that-everyone-has a second thought on who they wanna be.

3. Entrance / Exit through big cumbean doors that need brute force and planning to get through, probably mugging a CP and using the keycard, at any rate, your CID and face will probably get recognized by doing this.
Alternatively, the big webuls could start a riot and open these floodgates, letting the odd citien out into the wilds through a big shootout.

4. Meeting Area - (I'm immensely fond of this idea) - A largely fenced off area with maybe a small slot to pass items and information through, but not people! An outsider might be able to smuggle a weapon or some other contraband through the gap for the right price!
(I know the map already has a couple of those gaps, but I'm talking about a more functional, indoor building that have a quick escape route, so eagle-eyed CPs or COTA can't start running to arrest / shoot you from the other side of the map, respectively.)
Getting those Boy-In-The-Striped-Pajamas vibes.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Maybe replace the skybox buildings with canals, they'll at least be something interesting in that corner of the map instead of low-res squares, and they'll offer a place to travel through without being spotted too quickly.

what about another meeting area type thing like Victory Square in Airstrip One (1984)? that'd be badass.

also, subway. that'd be cool.

yea now that u mention it the map kinda lacks any sort of "the plaza" area

not sure if thats a bad thing or not

Gangleider said:
yea now that u mention it the map kinda lacks any sort of "the plaza" area

not sure if thats a bad thing or not
in most maps the plaza (redundantly) is the "central" area most people build their sense for navigation around and it's also the de facto place for large-scale RP events to start, as it provides an easy to find area literally made for people to congregate and communicate in, but it's not necessarily a bad thing to try new concepts out, either

Well there is a plaza right outside of spawn but as I said before, since the map is so open-plan its harder to get people to congregate in one place.

As requested I will invest the lab resources into a bar, also I will signpost everything to make it a little easier to navigate.......maybe cut down on some entities to save the server load and prevent crashing.....

Might also do a spawn room too that allows people en route from the canals to choose their entry point...........as I know a lot of people are spawning outside the walls when really they want to be inside.

CMS have spaces for them in the right-wing of the hospital (Nexus is built into the left side of the hospital) but could also be used for CA's so up to them really

Okay after looking at the other half of the hospital I think it'd work fairly well for CMS. I'm not a fan of the plant life and shit in the doorways but hey I'm not in CMS so that's their problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have the two warehouses I need to do my CMU/work event shit so I'm pretty content with this map once a few other kinks are worked out. Now to just initiate the RP necessary to acquire a couple of trucks or vans for CMU stuff.

I'm probably eventually going to start a CMU project/work event to patch up the holes in the walls of the nexus and stuff. RP out laying down drywall or some shit, I dunno. Just put some static props with materials over the holes, maybe RP out laying brick?

I'd cut back on the prop_physics cars because chances are an apc or something is going to roll through and they'll be physed out of the way/remover tool'd to oblivion

also; propkill dream

Clean up the buildings just outside the wall, as suggested, to free up a "no-man's land" to clearly segregate the city from the wrecked outskirts.

Fill the newly cleared area with foliage and mines.

Also, why is everyone obsessed with thumpers? Antlions burrow in sand, not dirt and bedrock. It makes no sense for them to be anywhere near the city.

I think they vines and stuff hanging in doorways in the CMS hospital building needs to be removed. It's a small thing, but it really bothers me when I feel like the crocodile hunter crawling through the jungle looking for a dangerous snake to touch.

I think you should consider making the buildings inside the city proper a little less derelict... It's strange seeing vines growing from the ceiling in a building that's used by Civil Protection or the administration, for instance, or discarded windowframes just laying on the floor.

Things that would realisticaly be easy fixes would be fixed if the buildings were intended to be used regularly.

I mean there's a difference between the T6-ish "badtown" feeling and just straight up lacking basic maintenance, so yeah I agree with Sym here.

Tazmily said:
I mean there's a difference between the T6-ish "badtown" feeling and just straight up lacking basic maintenance, so yeah I agree with Sym here.
Probably because T6 was made from the ground up for HL2RP where as pripyat is a SRP map hastily cobbled together to be a "HL2RP" map without much thought.

Tazmily said:
Is it really Dave's fault though? I mean first we never have anyone behind the counter at the CMU and now we're letting vines grow and holes be in our walls. I think the CA's are to blame here.

Symmetry said:
I think you should consider making the buildings inside the city proper a little less derelict... It's strange seeing vines growing from the ceiling in a building that's used by Civil Protection or the administration, for instance, or discarded windowframes just laying on the floor.

Things that would realisticaly be easy fixes would be fixed if the buildings were intended to be used regularly.
Probably just an oversight, I'm sure it'll be fixed in the full release now that it's been mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread