rp_pripyat_hl2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this about 6 months ago originally as a canals server idea, but then realised I could make something more of it.

Picked up on it a few days ago and did a load of work to restructure this original StalkerRP map into something thats actually useful for us.

So, the plan is........

• To combine server 1/2/3 dynamics by having all aspects in one map. To maximise the amount of players on a single server rather than spreading across 3 or 4.
  • The center of the map is what we consider "City roleplay".
  • A perimeter wall runs around the district 360 degrees.
  • On the other side of the perimeter wall, is considered canals / outlands territory.
  • The entire map is one huge dilapidated urban zone but surrounded by mixed scrubland, warehouses, farmhouses, old buildings etc.
  • Those who want to do Citizen roleplay can do so.
  • Those who want to do resistance roleplay can leave the city realistically by actually escaping through one of many methods.
  • By using transition points, anyone who has been to server 2 will then respawn back into the map already in the outland areas so they dont have to keep spawning inside the perimeter wall.
  • Also has canals, sewers, underground labs, bunkers.
  • Outland area is extensive with at least 5 key safehouses at each corner of the map rather than most where the rebels always hide in one spot. CCA / COTA patrols outside of the perimeter walls will have a long task to check all of the spots routinely.
  • Totally open plan layout.

I'll be hopefully running a stress test tomorrow night after I do a final compile and get it all uploaded to workshop.

In terms of optimisation, I have a decent PC so its hard to say how well it will fare on low end machines but thus far I havnt had any problems.
My only worry that it uses max brushes / entities / etc so it could become unstable at high populations but we'll see.

I may try and fit in a few more useful buildings before finishing just to make it better for loyalist groups etc.

2015-08-27_00005.jpg

2015-08-27_00001.jpg

2015-08-27_00006.jpg

2015-08-27_00004.jpg

2015-08-27_00003.jpg

2015-08-27_00002.jpg

pripyatplan.jpg

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507561128

TankNut said:
Just have someone fix up the holes ICly, spawn a few PHX plates with combine metal and static it. Problem solved.
We did just this yesterday. I think it's all static'd now.

I like the gameplay of the map even if the "feel" isn't there, but even then it reminds me quite a bit of the 1984 film so I'm not complaining too much.

I just think that the actual city itself should be more constructed and maintained rather than rugged and worn. Perhaps as Dave maps, union groups can rp doing construction on certain boots.

Legit Muffin said:
I just think that the actual city itself should be more constructed and maintained rather than rugged and worn. Perhaps as Dave maps, union groups can rp doing construction on certain boots.
We're RPing it as being in total disrepair due to having been abandoned for several years, and the Union is now occupying it on account of it at one point having been used by Malignant forces. We're also RPing fixing it up, one imperfection at a time.

oh well, as an experiment......it was good.

total waste of time in the end though

Davebrown said:

just make it S2

it works great as a canal map and the current canal maps fucking suck ass

it just needs some edits and it /might/ be salvageable

fixing the holes the walls of the nexus and making the inner parts of the walls to look more cleaner and managed

they're just a few of the suggestions that could make the map a bit better

I don't think the city being the center of the map was ever that necessary, I'm sure moving things around and deleting things that aren't necessary could free up a good amount of space. In fact, the map itself could probably be made smaller, as a bunch of un-enterable buildings occupying a large corner of the map aren't really big landmarks, especially when you can just as easily cut across them.

kiruclanz said:
making it a transition map is stupid considering the outside areas essentially have the same style of roleplay as canals. it's better to just make this map a t6/canals crossover. t6 being the inside, canals being outside. it's fucking terrible as a city map, but as an s2 map we can treat the city like we treated t6. run down, neglected, shit like that. it's dumb to have it as the city map, because you have people treating it like such, which doesn't fit the environment at all.
I thought that's what I said...

Davebrown said:

It's not bad, I think it could be a perma s2 map instead of canals, but that's just me.

I think that if it went like this, it would be a great map for s1, especially due to the outer-zone.

- Keep the outer zone as is, possibly provide more cover from the snipers.

- Clean the inner zone so that it looks like work was put into it to be cleaner. It doesn't need to be extremely polished, just have the roads cleared, the apartments rebuilt /for the most part/. And things so that it looks like a well-repaired city. And seperate some areas by walls with numbers written on them like in i17, so that districts can be easily identified.

Not at all, infact its provided a few interesting thoughts.

Rather than the whole map trying to be city and outlands, it'd be better for the whole map to be city, with the centre being maintained and the further you go from the centre the more un-maintained it gets until you're out of the city.

Using it as a server 2 map is just completely pointless.

I dont know why people are asking for "more space".......the problem is obviously that there is "too much space" especially inside the city wall as people feel like theyre not compressed into roleplay with each other. Its not that it dosnt feel like HL2.......the problem is that it dosnt feel like an archetypal HL2 map that in the past have always been limited to the typical constraints of the source engine. Small city areas that are not actually anything like real world streets / urban areas because the engine cant handle those kinds of open areas. Have you ever been to a city that actually looks anything like the areas we see in HL2 RP maps? The layouts are completely unrealistic. This was simply my attempt to make a map that had proper buildings in the correct spacing in relevence to roads and urban layout.

And surprise surprise, people just cant get their hands around it.

Not that I blame them for the lag issue that built up was kinda shitty....sadly it comes at a cost of performance.

Davebrown said:
This was simply my attempt to make a map that had proper buildings in the correct spacing in relevence to roads and urban layout.

And surprise surprise, people just cant get their hands around it.
Solid proof that TnBers don't go outside.

Yeah basically a huge chunk of older central/eastern European cities actually do look a lot like HL2. In turn the wide avenues on this map are more in line with a planned city like the Soviets were building in the 60s and 70s (Pripyat itself being a poster child of this layout). If you wanted to do Edinburgh or London you'd have a different feeling again.

Cities aren't all exactly the same, more changes than just architecture.

Im not talking about the architecture, but the layout.

and more specifically not HL2 the game itself but the maps we use are all made by amateurs.

think about the plaza from c18 for example
its a massive wide open space inbetween some sky-scraper sized random chunks of concrete.
in IRL terms none of it makes any sense lol.

unfortunately though it doesn't work when you're constrained so heavily by the source engine.

Using it as a server 2 map is just completely pointless.

How so?

If you mean because there is a city, I disagree. It could be used for the same purpose, but simply S2. Rather than a main city/canals, it should be a neglected, but not abandoned, precinct (like t6) and canals.

When used as S1, there are issues. The population, especially of CCA and CMU, makes the 'neglected' theme not make any sense. By making S1 a main city and S2 Pripyat, people who want main city RP can go to S1, and those who want either t6 or canals rp go to S2.

You said yourself, Dave. One reason for this map is that S2 is always empty. When you revealed this map for the first time on-server via OOC, you said you wanted to combine city and canals into one map and use outlands as S2. But by using the map as S2, you're combining T6 RP and Canals, two maps that people are always arguing between for S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread