rp_pripyat_hl2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this about 6 months ago originally as a canals server idea, but then realised I could make something more of it.

Picked up on it a few days ago and did a load of work to restructure this original StalkerRP map into something thats actually useful for us.

So, the plan is........

• To combine server 1/2/3 dynamics by having all aspects in one map. To maximise the amount of players on a single server rather than spreading across 3 or 4.
  • The center of the map is what we consider "City roleplay".
  • A perimeter wall runs around the district 360 degrees.
  • On the other side of the perimeter wall, is considered canals / outlands territory.
  • The entire map is one huge dilapidated urban zone but surrounded by mixed scrubland, warehouses, farmhouses, old buildings etc.
  • Those who want to do Citizen roleplay can do so.
  • Those who want to do resistance roleplay can leave the city realistically by actually escaping through one of many methods.
  • By using transition points, anyone who has been to server 2 will then respawn back into the map already in the outland areas so they dont have to keep spawning inside the perimeter wall.
  • Also has canals, sewers, underground labs, bunkers.
  • Outland area is extensive with at least 5 key safehouses at each corner of the map rather than most where the rebels always hide in one spot. CCA / COTA patrols outside of the perimeter walls will have a long task to check all of the spots routinely.
  • Totally open plan layout.

I'll be hopefully running a stress test tomorrow night after I do a final compile and get it all uploaded to workshop.

In terms of optimisation, I have a decent PC so its hard to say how well it will fare on low end machines but thus far I havnt had any problems.
My only worry that it uses max brushes / entities / etc so it could become unstable at high populations but we'll see.

I may try and fit in a few more useful buildings before finishing just to make it better for loyalist groups etc.

2015-08-27_00005.jpg

2015-08-27_00001.jpg

2015-08-27_00006.jpg

2015-08-27_00004.jpg

2015-08-27_00003.jpg

2015-08-27_00002.jpg

pripyatplan.jpg

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507561128

5:25 AM - Addiction: i think that if he does it right (and renames the damn thing)
5:25 AM - Addiction: it'll look like a serious 1984 type deal
5:26 AM - Tazmily: i never thought of it that way
5:26 AM - Tazmily: like the 1984 movie
5:26 AM - Addiction: destroyed as fuck
5:26 AM - Addiction: not to this extent, but
5:26 AM - Addiction: still destroyed as fuck
5:26 AM - Tazmily: damn now i'm actually willing to give it a shot with that sort of mindset

Davebrown said:
Honestly I dont think there is any need. Any windows that are above the 1st floor are inaccessible anyway unless someone uses a mingey prop ladder and stacks things up. And you'd think someone might notice that.

I think its become just tradition in HL2RP that all of our map nexuses are these huge forts whereas in the reality of HL2, theyre actually just standard human buildings retro fitted with Combine tech as little outposts. The only true Combine structure is the Citadel itself.
It has just become a staple ideal for us that they are supposed to be impenetrable whereas in reality I dont think it would be so rigid.
This is true, the holes in the walls I were talking about anyway lead to combine doors which require flags or other means to get inside.

I honestly cannot wait for this map to be finished now after testing it on s3 today, it has a-lot of potential for wide scale events.

I need people to send me screenshots of stuff thats pink / error.

Stuff I already know that might be broken and have already fixed -

• CCH staircase
  • Apartment balconies
  • Little fuse boxes
  • Laser fences
I also will try and do a full compile over the weekend which should optimise it a lot more but right now its lookin like a 48 hour compile time

I'm really looking forward to this! Though, I feel people my lag and not be able to run the map as well.

kiruclanz said:
Dave made this map with the idea in mind that the central area is a city and the outside is restricted. So that's not the best idea. It'd be like making t6 restricted.
I can see it being a cool like FOB. Maybe at one point it was a small nexus when the city was still thriving. Now as cities are pushed further and further inwards the place just stays as a harsh reminder of what happened and what is to come.

Fixed all those things hopefully, working on a compile now

Also if you have errors I need to SEE THEM so I can fix them.

post screenshots here ASAP please guys so I dont miss anything this time

With regards to the patchy Nexus / dilapidated feel - Remember as Breen said not all remaining urban centers are particularly pleasant, hence C17 being one of the 'finest' in its average state.

I think this map could be roleplayed as a sort of semi-evacuated industrial sector where perhaps a couple thousand citizens are kept for labour work purposes and this represents the smaller and less grand nexus and associated protection force. It's more of a tactical outpost than a city.

actually nvm littleb provided me with all the pics i need to fix

littleb said:
With regards to the patchy Nexus / dilapidated feel - Remember as Breen said not all remaining urban centers are particularly pleasant, hence C17 being one of the 'finest' in its average state.
well yeah but leaving holes that require minimal effort and resources to patch up in your most important facility is another story

When we do see combine buildings in HL2 too, though, they tend to have combine walls patching in holes in walls when needed. Like for example, yes the Nexus in HL2 has a hole in the roof, but there are none in the walls, really.

oh yeah remove the soundscape please, nobody will want to stay on the map for long if it remains on.

I thought I already had.......let me check

shit no i hadnt....ok removed them :p

Relocate us out of City 17. It's never felt like C17 anyway, without Breen. Why don't we just transfer all of the citizens from the Industrial precinct to a "better" work camp in City (whatever Pripyat is)?

+ No more "restrictions" of not breaking C17 lore.
+ Existing backstories and experiences are still entirely valid.
+ Incredibly depressing map becomes new staple of community (and provides intense nostalgic value for aching SRP community).

I'm really feeling the Children of Men influence as I'm checking this out. Once you're done with this, Dave, it'll definitely be among your best work (Although I think District_9 takes the cake, that maps seriously awesome).

Most of my gripes have already been said, but I just wanted to comment on the ease of escaping the City-area.

Please make it relatively difficult. Or at the very least, appear to be very difficul... maybe by bumping up the height on some of the containment walls, or something.

I don't know if you ever remember it, dave, but that first time you think you've "discovered the resistance" on a hl2rp server is fucking magical. To have such a cool experience come too easy takes some of the magic out of it, IMO.

Map looks great so far though. A lot of potential.

Gangleider said:
well yeah but leaving holes that require minimal effort and resources to patch up in your most important facility is another story
Yeah if anything, have the nexus be the best looking building, because the Combine would take care of their nexus. The slummy looking stuff would be the citizen housing and stuff.

Just thought of something else. If this is going to be our S1 map, having all spawn-points (no matter what) inside the City-wall would be sick.

In really reinforces the fact that most people in the hl2 setting need to interact with combine areas in some capacity, whether it be for basic sustenance, luxuries, supplies, espionage or even reporting 10-8. 95% of characters in the hl2 setting have pressing reason to be in CCA-controlled areas at the very least on seldom occasion.

I just think that having everyone spawn inside the wall would make a really cool dynamic. Perhaps could even help ebb the flow of complete edge-lords, and help us return to a City centric brand of HL2RP but also with a new twist- as each journey outside of the "containment walls" brings on it's own set of dangers and risks.

Allot of pointless things and broken building around the edges.. why not just the them from the map, i liked the idea of some random shack in a secluded spot.. Then i find out theirs no door... Its just 4 walls...
So if the map is cut a bit that would free more resources, Some of the buildings with stairs on the edge of the map you can just walk through.
So whats the point of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread