Half Life 2 - City 13 FAQ

Will I be able to sling "Overwatch" out of my C block loft apartment to finance my local sports pub startup (Is the drugbook back or are we still doin' custom items.)

Will I be able to sling "Overwatch" out of my C block loft apartment to finance my local sports pub startup (Is the drugbook back or are we still doin' custom items.)
Crime is encouraged. Especially by the CIvil Protection units who you can bribe to look the other way. Or by the local Resistance or local ethnic mafia that you might also be involved with. In fact, a huge tangled web of criminal enterprises with overlapping, competing, or neutral goals and loyalties and inclinations, would make the server unbelievably fucking based.

There are still custom items. Custom item flags will be restricted. But such things can be authed for, i.e. drug custom items, and so you'd be able to get your hands on some to sell to people.

I personally feel like it'd be awesome to see a bit more corruption especially in Civil Protection, it's something that personally I haven't experienced too much of and I think that it would add some interesting roleplay into the mix. (Maybe I haven't experienced it though because my characters never really got involved in the dirtier underbelly of the city... who knows)

Last edited:
speaking as the dipshit who ran conduct and standards, i promise you the opportunities to be an evil little man in the CCA have been many and extremely varied (enough to justify the job) for like the past four iterations

be the awful crimesman you want to see in the world

I would genuinely love to see rebels actually have to approach local drug dealers and business owners in this iteration in order to build fronts or revenue streams. Adds grey morality. Yeah the guy slinging overwatch or antlion rage out of his sleezy backalley laundromat is providing you with jobs that pay, acquiring him more raw chemicals and goods, shaking off violent criminals harassing his customers. And that revenue is funding the fight. But is it worth it to the "cause" to support this in the early days? Could be cool. Very excited to make those roleplay opportunities n try at it. Could help make resistance suppliers feel less asspully.

Also, are we all going to be new migrants to the city or can some of us be established citizens? I didn't see while reading through. Wanna apply for basic items. Be able to give out stupid little courier jobs and such to new guys for gloves, or hats.

Edit: Would also love to see corruption in civil protection. I never once had a CP try to take a bribe. Only shakedowns.

Last edited:
Edit: Would also love to see corruption in civil protection. I never once had a CP try to take a bribe. Only shakedowns.
since i've made the mistake of breaking my oath to never post on the actual forums, i guess i'll field this one, too

generally when it comes to corruption i think the reason you see people not take bribes openly after the early days of an iteration is probably some combination of it being super hard to get away with (CCA players are extremely adept snitches, which i mean as a compliment) and the fact most people who offer bribes are sus to the point that most CCA players probably clock them as "these guys are going to kill my friends later"

CCA players love breaking the rules and dicking each other over but from a character perspective i think it does come down a little bit to the "woah hey only we're allowed to fuck with each other" phenomenon, which is why that second part up there of being clocked as suspicious stops bribes from really flying

The issue with corrupt cops is that usually the squeaky clean nice guy cops will peer pressure the bad ones into being nice guys after all.

In general I think the CCA has generally failed their duty to the server atmosphere because too many people are afraid or unable to play the faction convincingly well, with too many cops being either nice guys or emotionless robots. At the end of the day getting the vibe of the CCA right is very important. People need to feel oppressed.

Also, are we all going to be new migrants to the city or can some of us be established citizens? I didn't see while reading through. Wanna apply for basic items. Be able to give out stupid little courier jobs and such to new guys for gloves, or hats.
It doesn't need to be explained. You could be a local or a refugee or someone who isn't exactly a local but transferred here a week or two before the server started, etc.

speaking as the dipshit who ran conduct and standards, i promise you the opportunities to be an evil little man in the CCA have been many and extremely varied (enough to justify the job) for like the past four iterations

be the awful crimesman you want to see in the world

Oh I'm sure, I've had more than a couple of interactions with Conduct and Standards... heh... but I just feel like at least in HLNA I didn't see very much for a criminal side to Civil Protection. I'm not saying there aren't possibilities, I just feel like most people decide to shun that roleplay for whatever reason.

I do remember once upon a time (may have been a different server) a couple of CPs made these two who were fighting, fight to the death and then whoever won walked free while the other was thrown in the incinerator.

The issue with corrupt cops is that usually the squeaky clean nice guy cops will peer pressure the bad ones into being nice guys after all.

I'm not sure peer pressure is the issue there. As long as higher ranking units/intel aren't getting on their ass, giving into peer pressure is on them. I think as long as FC can set a tone of not caring about petty corruption and laughing snitch cops coming to report a small bribery out of their office, things will be fine for bad cops. In fact, I think there being a rift between good cops and bad cops is good. There was some of that drama in the C45 iteration and it was pretty fun. The main thing is just not to be too heavy-handed with the crackdowns and blackmarks for petty shit.

It would be nice to have more of a "wall of silence" mentality, where even if you're a goody two-shoes, you're not going to report your partner even if he is a complete scumbag because you're both metrocops.

But this, like anything, would need to be activley fostered on-server.

It would be nice to have more of a "wall of silence" mentality, where even if you're a goody two-shoes, you're not going to report your partner even if he is a complete scumbag because you're both metrocops.

But this, like anything, would need to be activley fostered on-server.

I wholeheartedly agree, but I don't think we should shun the metrocops who do decide to be good. I think that's what going to make for a more interesting roleplay, for there to be cops on both sides of the fence, and while most will probably just brush it off and be quiet, there should be a handful that maybe take action, but that is my personal opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree, but I don't think we should shun the metrocops who do decide to be good. I think that's what going to make for a more interesting roleplay, for there to be cops on both sides of the fence, and while most will probably just brush it off and be quiet, there should be a handful that maybe take action, but that is my personal opinion.
Whatever happens, nobody's OOC going to be telling people how to act one way or the other (with the exceptions of obvious shit like nonconsensual sadistic torture etc). That's the way of groups; they grow, often without explicitly doing so, into institutions, with leadership taking a prime role in the group's development.

Whatever happens, nobody's OOC going to be telling people how to act one way or the other (with the exceptions of obvious shit like nonconsensual sadistic torture etc). That's the way of groups; they grow, often without explicitly doing so, into institutions, with leadership taking a prime role in the group's development.

For sure.

I can say that it would be extremely interesting to see a more morally darker Civil Protection or a faction that doesn't simply 'follow the rules' consistently.

slanging drugs but no buyer bc no real purpose to buying drug aside from le epic self destruction
Simple. Force admin to give you money in order to drive a realistic roleplay environment. Become the job giver. Be the plug. Have people slang shit (Off screen)

Speaking personally from when I ran CASTLE after Cossack Cossack left (good to see you back btw), we didn't even have to do much - literally the two Rogues caught themselves by being legitimately obvious and we utterly ignored BEAR doing corrupt stuff - before people got nervous and just stopped doing anything that wasn't by-the-book.

People convinced themselves that they were gonna get caught and killed for even minor corruption even when we (and FC) didn't touch that at all.

Last edited:
When my character was working for CASTLE, I think I may have reported one or two things that were remotely suspect, and most of my other reports were on already known events.

Also now that I think about it I think the other reason people play more "clean" cops is frankly because it not only keeps them alive longer but potentially gives them more options for character development in the long term given there's the chance to go rogue and such.

There's arguably more incentive to keep your head down than putting yourself out there as a brutal oppressor, which is sort of a shame?

I honestly think Civil Protection could do with more anonymity to bolster people's OOC confidence in doing stuff without fear of being targetted. I'm not entirely sure if they exist still, but removing the armband that gives out everything up to and including your social security number would be a start because it was one of the main reasons I remember hearing units didn't do more back in NA.

Biosignals exist, so if you need to check who a unit is on camera surely you can bullshit some locational data in tandem with camera footage or something? Not like the CCA itself can't tell who's who.

Users who are viewing this thread