Half Life 2 - City 13 FAQ

bennet

Roleplay Department Administrator
May 22, 2011
This is a list of soon-to-be frequently asked questions about our next upcoming HL2 iteration, City 13. It goes over things already covered on the announcement thread in a simpler format.

Q: What script will the server be on?
A: Eternity with bug-fixes and new weapons.We’re utilizing what we have.

Q: When is the server opening?
A: There are still some things we’d like to prepare before the full launch, so this is to be decided and announced later on.

Q: What is the setting of the server this time around?
A: City 13 is built upon the remnants of Prague, Czech Republic. It's one of the most densely populated cities in the world with every other block having its residential space replaced by a factory complex.

Q: When is the server taking place?
A: The server will be starting two years after the events of Half Life: New America.

Q: What is the status of North America?
A: North America is in the process of being abandoned as a population hub for what remains of the human population of Earth. Several cities remain on the fringe of the eastern seaboard though they now serve as hollowed out bastions with a limited civilian population.

Q: What happened to my character from HL:NA?
A: That, my friend, is for you to decide. There will be resources provided to help people figure out how their character might've ended up in Prague two years after the events of the previous iteration, but all characters that survived will be allowed to return as citizens with a clean record.

Q: Can my character rejoin the faction they were previously apart of?
A: You'll have to re-apply or rejoin in-character, depending on how the faction works. Your character was given a new ID upon entering Prague, meaning that there is no history of their previous experiences in America.

Q: What's the status of the Resistance?
A: The Resistance, as far as your character knows, doesn't exist right now. The oppressive atmosphere of City 13 is good at snuffing that out.

Q: Will I keep my GM permissions from HL:NA?
A: You’ll have to re-apply, though not all of the same permissions are available due to a more focused setting. (No vehicle permissions etc.)

Q: Will there be a Canals & Outlands server?
A: Short answer is no. Our main focus here is to create a city people want to roleplay in. A Canals or Outlands server shortens the life span of that with freedom of travel out of the city and shifts the focus on the kind of roleplay the server is about. The main goal of this project is to roleplay in an oppressive city based in the HL2 universe.

While that may be open to change it’s not something that will be visited for a while.

Q: Is there a server plot?
A: Our goal is to avoid the railroaded plot lines of the past. That’s simple to say and another thing entirely to implement. One thing we intend on doing is very minimal large events which are cordoned off and played largely by the resistance as a whole, whoever they may be. Instead we want to drop smaller events and feed down information through the normal process of roleplay. It is up to the groups that come upon this information to act on it and progress whatever storylines are in play.

Feel free to post whatever questions may be on your mind. We realize we can't cover them all from the start.

With less focus on resistance will there be more loyalist/worker groups to join and collaborate with? Basically a citizen worker focus in the plot?

Something that can eventually cause conflict within the combine and force some “political” power grabs.

Q: Is there a server plot?
A: Our goal is to avoid the railroaded plot lines of the past. That’s simple to say and another thing entirely to implement. One thing we intend on doing is very minimal large events which are cordoned off and played largely by the resistance as a whole, whoever they may be. Instead we want to drop smaller events and feed down information through the normal process of roleplay. It is up to the groups that come upon this information to act on it and progress whatever storylines are in play.

Based, thank you.

question:
Is there plans for a city worker/municipal like faction such as HL:NA with unique flags that designated as being apart of the CWU/CIC/whatever you call it?

Will you bring back the psykers from c45? They were a cool idea

So I know some discussion on this was leaked....

To clear it up, we did discuss bringing back 'psychics' or some iteration on them and we talked about how it would work but we decided that what they could bring to the table ultimately wasn't worth it. Psychics or 'gifted' (i.e human characters with some kind of vortessence energy) would need to be constantly guided and interactions mediated by admins, no matter how much we clarified or codified into rules.

For us this was energy better spent elsewhere, like pursing more worth while interactions with rebel orientated characters and characters affiliated with the Combine that have doubts or sympathies for the resistance.

question:
Is there plans for a city worker/municipal like faction such as HL:NA with unique flags that designated as being apart of the CWU/CIC/whatever you call it?

CWU/CEC will be making a return.

CIC will see some alterations but ultimately they'll still be on server just with more CCA involvement.

So I know some discussion on this was leaked....

To clear it up, we did discuss bringing back 'psychics' or some iteration on them and we talked about how it would work but we ultimately decided that what they could bring to the table ultimately wasn't worth it. Psychics or 'gifted' (i.e human characters with some kind of vortessence energy) would need to be constantly guided and interactions mediated by admins, no matter how much we clarified or codified into rules.

For us this was energy better spent elsewhere, like pursing more worth while interactions with rebel orientated characters and characters affiliated with the Combine that have doubts or sympathies for the resistance.
I didn’t even know there was a leak lol I just rember that stupid copy pasta about a ca getting his pants shat in

Given the increased-totalitarian tone planned for this setting, I was wondering if player-owned businesses will also be impacted by this?

Obviously I ask with a degree of self-interest given my IC businesses in the past (arcades, tattoo parlors, et-cetera), but I am curious on where the lines will be drawn for creative business ideas (i.e. what the IC administration would or would-not shut down).

Increased-Totalitarian-Apathy is a better description.

Business won't be effected in the sense of being hindered by legislature and units themselves will be encouraged to keep whatever business you have running as they'll be seeking their own avenues of release. Units will be feeling their own sense of oppression just as the citizens will be.

So you guys dropped the powers and augmentation ideas right.....right?

Users who are viewing this thread