rp_pripyat_hl2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this about 6 months ago originally as a canals server idea, but then realised I could make something more of it.

Picked up on it a few days ago and did a load of work to restructure this original StalkerRP map into something thats actually useful for us.

So, the plan is........

• To combine server 1/2/3 dynamics by having all aspects in one map. To maximise the amount of players on a single server rather than spreading across 3 or 4.
  • The center of the map is what we consider "City roleplay".
  • A perimeter wall runs around the district 360 degrees.
  • On the other side of the perimeter wall, is considered canals / outlands territory.
  • The entire map is one huge dilapidated urban zone but surrounded by mixed scrubland, warehouses, farmhouses, old buildings etc.
  • Those who want to do Citizen roleplay can do so.
  • Those who want to do resistance roleplay can leave the city realistically by actually escaping through one of many methods.
  • By using transition points, anyone who has been to server 2 will then respawn back into the map already in the outland areas so they dont have to keep spawning inside the perimeter wall.
  • Also has canals, sewers, underground labs, bunkers.
  • Outland area is extensive with at least 5 key safehouses at each corner of the map rather than most where the rebels always hide in one spot. CCA / COTA patrols outside of the perimeter walls will have a long task to check all of the spots routinely.
  • Totally open plan layout.

I'll be hopefully running a stress test tomorrow night after I do a final compile and get it all uploaded to workshop.

In terms of optimisation, I have a decent PC so its hard to say how well it will fare on low end machines but thus far I havnt had any problems.
My only worry that it uses max brushes / entities / etc so it could become unstable at high populations but we'll see.

I may try and fit in a few more useful buildings before finishing just to make it better for loyalist groups etc.

2015-08-27_00005.jpg

2015-08-27_00001.jpg

2015-08-27_00006.jpg

2015-08-27_00004.jpg

2015-08-27_00003.jpg

2015-08-27_00002.jpg

pripyatplan.jpg

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507561128

Soren said:
just use propper on a large section of the map and you'll free up like a ton of brushes
Adds to Source 1's unnecessarily low entity limit, though, doesn't it? Which would mean more instability at higher population.

Tazmily said:
I wouldn't really mind a return to City 8 at all, but rp_pripyat_hl2 is looking pretty fun.
Hence why it's just a "what-if" scenario. Doesn't even need to be City 8. If it's not city 17, there's more flexibility. I heard City 8 had K-Pop stars (despite being in fucking japan lol). That would never happen in this iteration unless it were an underground thing, solely because of what the setting is.

But yeah, rp_pripyat_hl2 does look awesome.

kiruclanz said:
Adds to Source 1's unnecessarily low entity limit, though, doesn't it? Which would mean more instability at higher population.
it shouldn't if it's staticed, and if you propper large chunk of the maps, it'd technically lower it.

So will it be Pripyat IC or are we going for Dead City/Limansk? PK on death?

Soren said:
it shouldn't if it's staticed, and if you propper large chunk of the maps, it'd technically lower it.
So do brushes only mean walls and shapes, not models? It's been a long, long time since I've even touched Hammer let alone SourceSDK, so forgive me if I've forgotten a lot of terms and shit.

edit: FUCK OFF CLAV I WAS ASKING A QUESTION

Static meshes render faster than brushes and use up far less resources.

First upload test done, missed out a lot of textures as I expected I would, so much custom content so I have to painstakingly find each one

also uncovered a few issues that i will need to fix up with a new compile tomorrow

I really like it though I think ross is right about how the level of brown present. How many housing blocks are there? It'd be good to have at least 2 or 3 commieblock buildings to allow for some sort of segregation or division as needed.

after trying it out (its on s2 atm) i really don't think this is going to be a suitable map for use on s1. it could work for canals/outlands maybe, but it's literally just a destroyed city with a stalker theme.

Please no holes in the Nexus walls.

This is a rebel raid waiting to happen.

Played on it for a bit, I feel this map has huge potential but a few things are bugging me.

1) It seems way to easy to escape the city. There's multiple combine doors with barriers that only have a fence door and button blocking them, There's one fence door that just leads straight outside, you can just jump into the vast open sewage system, or you can climb down a ladder that's right in front of the main entrance of one of the buildings.

2) Still feels too stalkery. Easiest just to blame the textures and soundscape. Also the underground lab feels too much like stalker aswell, I think it would be best just to get rid of it and use the free'd up brushes to expand the city.

AlbinoGlowStick said:
Played on it for a bit, I feel this map has huge potential but a few things are bugging me.

1) It seems way to easy to escape the city. There's multiple combine doors with barriers that only have a fence door and button blocking them, There's one fence door that just leads straight outside, you can just jump into the vast open sewage system, or you can climb down a ladder that's right in front of the main entrance of one of the buildings.

2) Still feels too stalkery. Easiest just to blame the textures and soundscape. Also the underground lab feels too much like stalker aswell, I think it would be best just to get rid of it and use the free'd up brushes to expand the city.
add more blues and grays and less of the watered down cardboard

I think this might work fine for S2, sort of a successor to T6 in the way that it works as an "outer city" area but just running around it in SP it feels too little controlled and too much like STALKER. Probably how brown and destroyed everything is, though.

edit: why does the Nexus have holes in the walls

after a while i began to lose track of what was city and what was outlands
it's all just grey, almost-identical and pixely-looking apartment blocks
the farms around the edge started to get to me a while, because they're like skybox props, but in the actual map
being a three-floored building with sandbags and a big lambda on the front, i easily figured out where the rebel safehouse was
when i play this i'm not really feeling hl2, i'm feeling stalker with big combine gates and laser fences i keep accidentally noclipping into :(

It's settled, then. Dave is bringing back SRP instead of trying to please the HL2 community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread