Half Life 2 - City 13 FAQ

Is the server going to be more strict about being a rebel or is it going to be a situation of six people running into the sewers and creating the resistance?

Is the server going to be more strict about being a rebel or is it going to be a situation of six people running into the sewers and creating the resistance?

I'm not sure if people really want us policing interactions to that degree but quality is a two way street in admins providing the lore and the in hours work on server of moderating and players actually roleplaying for the sake of roleplaying.

The team doesn't want to be overbearing but they will be vigilant especially with how things form up at the beginning, in saying that we recognize that at the end of the day just being able to hop on with friends and do stuff is what ultimately draws people to any server. This server will be tackling things in a somewhat new way that's different compared to previous iterations when it comes to approaching how players interact with the black market and also with treating vortigaunts differently on server, with them being almost a separate under class of oppressed citizens themselves and not just shackled janitors. This wil llead to more vortigaunts probably being more common but again, it's a different take than on how they were being played previously.

Should have some threads up soon to expand on this anyway.

I have a question about the overall dynamics between rebels and CCA: In HLNA I mostly saw the rebels as these cowboy outlaws blasting music out of their trucks and shooting at anything with blue lights and vocoders, in this iteration will the dynamic be closer to what was just mentioned, or more akin to constant rejection and resistance of combine ideals with occasional spikes and dips in an activity like you might see in a discontented populace? Admins will have some stake in how this turns out to be because they're ultimately the ones who will decide how weapons and certain important events are injected into either faction.

For CCA gamers, I do like the fact that there is a squad identity dynamic that people have going on. However, I have three questions tied to squads and units individually.

Firstly: One facet of CCA RP I liked later in HLNA's life cycle is having unit specializations. For example, you had a select few units be designated marksmen, others that were designated medical personnel, others still that were mechanics that worked on APCs and whatnot... Would there be any introduction to unit specializations early on in the server, or would that be delegated to later on in the iteration, if at all?

Second: I unfortunately missed out on the four squads dynamic early on in the server life cycle of HLNA, but how would squads play out? How many squads are planned on being rolled out in the beginning? Will each squad have its own ethos that drives total cohesion? If unit specializations are a thing, will one squad see more particular specs as opposed to a mostly even distribution amongst all squads?

Third and final: How will rogue units be handled, including the application process, the overarching roleplay leading up to, during and after going rogue, admin intervention, rebel interactions and the works? Can applications be made after an organic interaction when a rebellious flame is sparked in a unit and they try to go rogue? What will the policies be for rogue units? What sort of roleplay can be expected out of other CCA players when faced with a rogue unit, or worse, a group of rogue units besides the overall player-driven experience and influences they will have between themselves?

I forgot to ask this question initially, but now I'm getting to it. How big is the admin team going to be for this server, and how will applications be handled for open slots on the admin roster, if there are applications that will be made?

also, bri'ish Fractal bri'ish Fractal

any word on the structure of city administration, loyalists, and citizen clinics?

To add onto wheatos question with the citizen clinics, are the CCA going to be medically independent of those structures, or will they be reliant on the same stuff as the citizens?

To add onto wheatos question with the citizen clinics, are the CCA going to be medically independent of those structures, or will they be reliant on the same stuff as the citizens?
making the CCA depend on the CMS never really works. It kills an avenue for rp by removing CCA medics and whatnot plus the CMS isn't really equipped to deal with the injuries units will suffer in the field

Last edited:
As far as resistance goes, I know I've had some lengthy discussions with a few people.

We want things to flow as naturally as possible, and if you're looking for resistance rp, there's definitely players and staff that are willing to facilitate resistance roleplay beyond collecting guns (i.e radio ops, courier work, intelligence gathering etc.).
Our approach will be a lot less in your face to generate more realistic resistance roleplay along with the fact this will mostly be a city server. There will be a lot more operating in jumpsuits.
I have a question about the overall dynamics between rebels and CCA: In HLNA I mostly saw the rebels as these cowboy outlaws blasting music out of their trucks and shooting at anything with blue lights and vocoders, in this iteration will the dynamic be closer to what was just mentioned, or more akin to constant rejection and resistance of combine ideals with occasional spikes and dips in an activity like you might see in a discontented populace? Admins will have some stake in how this turns out to be because they're ultimately the ones who will decide how weapons and certain important events are injected into either faction.

To address what you're asking, as far as dynamics go you always want this to be player driven as possible. Roleplay is best left as a sandbox with as many tools in it to create whatever anyone wants to do. If people want to shoot cops every day, they're more than welcome to, however they better be lucky or good at getting out of it because PKs will be enforced for doing risky or negligent things obviously.

Cops are always a great target for rebels in terms of counter-propaganda. Often times pure citizens are rare (because it can get decently boring to not have a multi-faceted character). So the CCA acts as a good pool of players that can be susceptible to the message, and I know I will be gearing a lot of attention on convincing one way or another to get them to change their minds.

Not sure if I answered your question fully, but tl;dr - dynamics should be as fluid as possible, I have a personal preference for what I want to do, but everyone should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want.

I have two questions:

1) How will Servitors (Enslaved Vorts) be handled? Will they work roughly the same as they did on NA or will there be anything changed for them?

2) Are there any ideas for how to incentivize more 'neutral' citizens? I know that one is the big bugbear of HL2RP so I appreciate that it may be hard to answer.

To expand on the vortigaunt question some, will they be given freedom enough to be intertwined with various branches of whatever the CCA, CA, or other factions have going on, or inversely given enough of a leash that they can find themselves in more places doing more interesting things independently. This goes for both the shackled and the unshackled variety.

A single server focus looks like a good angle, but one problem has always been an oversight on the vortigaunts, being persecuted and hunted down the instant they are glimpsed if free, and unable to participate in the vast majority of the goings on of the server and the local factions if shackled to the combine without significant work to make any sort of headway.

The question is still how will vorts work, but with more specific info on issues I remember running into in every single iteration I have played in.

Oh dont get me wrong, I'm not saying muggings shouldn't be a thing. Quite the opposite as it can create some great interactions. My biggest concern as I mentioned before is the over-saturation of muggings occurring. Quite rightly, this will depend on the circumstances, and im sure cracking down on people pulling stupid shit in the plaza over thought out and engaging rp with an ambush in D2 will prevail.
For sure. Definitely will just have to try and keep a balance going on the muggings and try and show equal consequences that can happen to both sides so people understand what can happen from putting themselves at risk.

Firstly, congrats on taking on the mantle of running the CCA.
I'm glad we're continuing the multiple squad formula. I know in the past folks have said they'd prefer a singular massive squad and it just doesn't sit right with me.
It sounds like you've got a decent idea on how the squads will be managed so I look forward to seeing how folks progress within the faction :)
Same for how we manage the map and allow CPS to navigate around the area. No point fixing what aint broke right?

Thanks! I prefer having more than one squad as well unless it truly just makes proper sense to only have one. Feels easier to me to try and include more people into FC with at least two squads. And yeah, in that regard for patrol jurisdiction i feel just using the way we usually do it works out.

I'm quite happy with you mentioning how you'll be looping more people into FC. I feel that this is probably one of the biggest reasons why stagnation occurs so giving more players an opportunity to be in this role should help keep things flowing. I like the idea of FC members being more in the line of fire when it comes to TKs/PKs. And not just cause they were caught out by rebels. I love the idea of higher ups like Dvls, cracking down on incompetance/failure of doing their duty correctly.
Exactly. Even my role as lead I feel should be subject to the same rules I'm prescribing to field command. If I were to make a daunting mistake of deciding to enter the sewers in an unsecure manner I should be punished for putting myself out there if someone decides to take advantage of that. Having more positions and leaving pk's open ended feels like we can avoid complete stagnation.

I think to make the best of this you need a genuine effort from day one by whoever ends up in FC to all have the same angle for their particular squads.

The JUDGE drama of D47 was a fantastic example because from day one they made an effort to stand out and be corrupt in ways that the other squads just weren't. There were clashes there that lasted for months off of the back of that. In fact I'd say it was the best out of almost all of the examples I can think of.

WARD being the more 'police-esque' squad and BEAR being the violent criminals was another cool clash but that sorta hit its peak and fizzled eventually.

Really I think the 'fizzling' becomes the main issue to overcome and that squads slowly lose their identities over time. Not sure how to counter it, but food for thought.

Of course. Going to have to have my squad leads do their best to try and flesh out the vibe from their squad and let it grow from there. Best to let some of it form organically as well.

Firstly: One facet of CCA RP I liked later in HLNA's life cycle is having unit specializations. For example, you had a select few units be designated marksmen, others that were designated medical personnel, others still that were mechanics that worked on APCs and whatnot... Would there be any introduction to unit specializations early on in the server, or would that be delegated to later on in the iteration, if at all?
Specializations will make a return for sure. Working out the kinks on what we want with it still but expect a thread.

Second: I unfortunately missed out on the four squads dynamic early on in the server life cycle of HLNA, but how would squads play out? How many squads are planned on being rolled out in the beginning? Will each squad have its own ethos that drives total cohesion? If unit specializations are a thing, will one squad see more particular specs as opposed to a mostly even distribution amongst all squads?
We'll be throwing in two squads at the start. I feel that's a good starting point to promote having active units in each squad at launch. As mentioned above, it'll be up to the leadership of each squad to see what kind of vibe they want to have going through their ranks. For all we know, some units can reject that and try and push their own vibe. Kind of the organic growth of things, y'know? Applications will roll out pre-launch and we'll take what we got and draft as evenly as we can to each squad. Likely there will not be a bias to specializations per squad where one has more of one thing than the other.

Third and final: How will rogue units be handled, including the application process, the overarching roleplay leading up to, during and after going rogue, admin intervention, rebel interactions and the works? Can applications be made after an organic interaction when a rebellious flame is sparked in a unit and they try to go rogue? What will the policies be for rogue units? What sort of roleplay can be expected out of other CCA players when faced with a rogue unit, or worse, a group of rogue units besides the overall player-driven experience and influences they will have between themselves?
Rogue units will be handled the same as last iteration. Whether it be a mole/rogue role you plan on playing in the CCA, you will have to obtain authorization from leadership to be allowed to do so. I will be rolling out a thread detailing some examples of what would define a rogue unit to give players a general idea if they need to seek auths. If you're roleplaying a rogue unit, you're constantly going to have to make decisions that affects either of your two lives. Say you're entirely rogue and your best friend in the world is about to get executed by leadership as they have been compromised and no other route is presented besides execution (just going to worst case scenario here obv), would you stand idly by to stay true to whatever cause you follow even at the loss of someone who is dear to you? Do you still care for your coworkers in the CCA that you see day in and day out and wish to not bring harm to them but more so the organization as a whole? Complex roleplay can happen like that as a rogue, and that's likely why so many people end up interested in it. In the end, your choices will be yours. Just ensure you always ask a member of leadership (adj+) if you're truly unsure if something you're doing could be considered rogue, we can always clear it up for someone. Willingly being a fully rogue or mole unit without authorization will have you blacklisted from the faction and potentially banned from the server. As for what other CCA players can face when dealing with a rogue unit; If you are a rogue unit and get caught - you should know being rogue within the faction you openly have essentially pk auths on you from the start if you're caught. Part of undertaking such a big risk to infiltrate a police force run by alien oppressors.

What about prosthetics? Are we gonna have like joe machine man with 1 entire missing arm replaced by a peice of scrap metal shaped like a buff arm with a leg made of a filed down 2 inch tube with a zip gun built in or are we gonna have some sort of high tech combine stuff?

What about prosthetics? Are we gonna have like joe machine man with 1 entire missing arm replaced by a peice of scrap metal shaped like a buff arm with a leg made of a filed down 2 inch tube with a zip gun built in or are we gonna have some sort of high tech combine stuff?
Take from this what you will but after playing Cyberpunk 2077 I have some ideas for what the combine should be capable of doing even if I'm not an admin just saying

adam smasher WALLHAMMER when

The prosthetics are largely synthetic, and honestly probably not something most characters will want. While they (mostly) function fine, synthetic replacements are spindly, pale, and just generally uncanny despite being shaped like a regular human arm. Even moreso than other augments, rejection and its consequences are a serious concern.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen anyone ask yet and I don’t expect there to be a canned or easy response. I can expand as needed but I’ll ask the general question first:

What would be the processes, or authorization needed to play a scientist oriented character?

It’s implied in the half life series that the only reason most of the events happen is scientists working behind the scenes to crack equations and tear down the walls of reality with math. This is something that has noticeably been absent from just about every HL2 iteration to a surprising degree, and what little advancements are made by humanity are often chalked up to off-screen characters as much as on-screen ones. I understand these types of characters are likely to be snatched up by more negative uses by the Combine, but they represent something I don’t believe we’ve had the chance to deeply explore before.

I haven’t seen anyone ask yet and I don’t expect there to be a canned or easy response. I can expand as needed but I’ll ask the general question first:

What would be the processes, or authorization needed to play a scientist oriented character?

It’s implied in the half life series that the only reason most of the events happen is scientists working behind the scenes to crack equations and tear down the walls of reality with math. This is something that has noticeably been absent from just about every HL2 iteration to a surprising degree, and what little advancements are made by humanity are often chalked up to off-screen characters as much as on-screen ones. I understand these types of characters are likely to be snatched up by more negative uses by the Combine, but they represent something I don’t believe we’ve had the chance to deeply explore before.
I second this. It would be nice to have the rebels actually working towards RnD of their own weapons, technology, ect.

I think everyone is thrilled with this being portrayed on server, and it's not unheard of, just a little niche. I would just say make an auth so you and staff know the extent of what you plan to do and what you want from the get-go. I'd be personally willing to set up events after launch to acquire materials to make a functional lab/machines/devices.

And that statement extends to anything really, if you want to do something make an auth request, I think we've seen requests turn into railroaded structured events from the very beginning. I'd like to start having people propose jobs/ideas/events that we can leave up in the air that the team can set up for players to do around the map, i.e break into this building, go to this particular place to do recon, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread