Baron Bombast (Duke Gordy)

• Attention
    • Do not post useless +support.
    • Do not post personal vouches.
    • Do not shitpost or derail.
    Failure to adhere to this will get you infracted and/or banned.

A permanent ban is often a method to get the accused to post an appeal. It is not at all times the verdict.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Bag of Minges said:
This is an extremely slanderous thing to say. I'll repeat myself:

This isn't about malicious RDM because I disliked something;

this is about how minging in response to other minges is not a bannable offense
its funny how people claim that it is unacceptable and 100% against the rules and always bannable when i do it but then they do something much worse themselves and try to use the same arguments i use to wiggle out of trouble

that said there is a huge difference between "minging in response to minges" and literally using the dynamite tool to kill a bunch of people for no or an extremely vague reason

Xari said:
Sounds to me like these are shenanigans typical for the dying off-peak hours of the server, I mean I've done much worse when it's obvious people are about to get off and arent really rping anymore tbh

also we're not taking a fucking plushie store thing IC and if you defend it you're pretty dumb...

I was fully expecting some Civil Protection to come by and take it down, but no one ever did. if you ever actually /looked/ at what Crystal was doing, it wasn't as mingey as you're all claiming it to be. It was just a new player trying their best to start some Roleplay without having access to script items. The Red Dragon does the exact same thing, flying kites and doing all sorts of other obviously cultural symbolism and Civil Protection /authorizes/ it.

Yeah, the idea of turtle RP is pretty dumb. But as a new player going out of their way to create Roleplay without the assistance of scripts? A nice try at a first attempt.

Does nobody else find it hilarious that someone called "A Bag of Minges" was mad at people for minging, so he decided to outminge them by creating an imitation of their mingery which explodes like a Looney Toons cartoon when they try to pick it up?

Nobody??

A Bag of Minges said:
this is about how minging in response to other minges is not a bannable offense

That's your defense? Seriously? So if I claim all RP on TnB is mingey and go around killing people with explosives, it's okay? You're smarter than that, BoM. I agree it probably shouldn't be punished severely (if at all) but come on, you know you were in the wrong. Using TT to kill people is one of the things you don't do on purpose without some kind of consent. Ever.

Symmetry said:
Does nobody else find it hilarious that someone called "A Bag of Minges" was mad at people for minging, so he decided to outminge them by creating an imitation of their mingery which explodes like a Looney Toons cartoon when they try to pick it up?

Nobody??
i was dying laughing when it happened

i think i lost an ulcer instead of gaining one

a real feat for TnB

SealGunman said:
I was fully expecting some Civil Protection to come by and take it down, but no one ever did. if you ever actually /looked/ at what Crystal was doing, it wasn't as mingey as you're all claiming it to be. It was just a new player trying their best to start some Roleplay without having access to script items. The Red Dragon does the exact same thing, flying kites and doing all sorts of other obviously cultural symbolism and Civil Protection /authorizes/ it.

Yeah, the idea of turtle RP is pretty dumb. But as a new player going out of their way to create Roleplay without the assistance of scripts? A nice try at a first attempt.
Agreed. If people are so mad about it, they should've done something IC. The CP are the law enforcement arm of the Universal Union, and if the Universal Union doesn't want a free-market for misc. goods to pop up, it's up to the CPs to crack down on it.

...IC is IC... I hate saying it, but it's true.

Kiako said:
That's the same kind of thinking that resulted in telepathic, augmented cits, hourly ration bombings, and CPs with katanas. Just because something is considered IC by the person doing it, it doesn't mean the rest of the server is obliged to deal with it as though it is - because then you're only confirming that it's okay and that will end up in more people doing it.

IC and OOC are not two magically distinct entities, they affect each other in a multitude of ways and acting as though they do not is a really terrible idea that goes nowhere good.

There's also the fact that people will cry blue murder if Civil Protection do anything that doesn't fit their particular watered-down, DarkRP-influenced view of how HL2RP should be. I remember back when one of my characters was trying to infiltrate the C18 CCA I used to get whined at incessantly for telling groups of three or more to disperse if they were in the plaza or loitering by a building's entrance, and busting up stalls. Expecting the CCA to be the arbiters of quality RP is absurd, because it assumes a) they are all excellent roleplayers with a good sense of what should be enforced (not all of them are), b) there are enough of them on to enforce it, and c) they aren't already busy playing ersatz admin, especially during offpeak times. Fully half my time flagged up was spent trying to shove punchwhores and statwhores up in the cells long enough for another unit to tell them to cut it out, just to stop them fucking with everyone else. I have reason to believe it hasn't changed.

CPs shouldn't be the ones to have to deal with outlandish bullshit - if it's something that out of whack, either an admin should, or the person should be lectured as to why it's not on. If they don't listen, I don't see why it should be treated as IC.

I can also state pretty confidently that a number of the more experienced roleplayers on the server straight up ignore a good chunk of what happens because it is just too much effort to try loophole it into canon. The more extreme form of this is just hanging out with a small group and ignoring everyone else, which is basically what I learned to do after about three different failed attempts to find decent RP with the majority of players on the coast.

Kiako said:
Agreed. If people are so mad about it, they should've done something IC. The CP are the law enforcement arm of the Universal Union, and if the Universal Union doesn't want a free-market for misc. goods to pop up, it's up to the CPs to crack down on it.

No, "IC is IC" has always been a stupid argument; there will always be a shitton of situations and actions that are highly implausible for the setting and must be dealt with administratively. It's already extremely difficult in this community to keep up a semblance of the fact we're supposed to be set in a totalitarian world governed by a brutal military police with the shit that happens on S1 and the constant influx of minges and the dumb emphasis on "economy" by the script, we can do without stuff like this having to be taken seriously in any way, shape or form. Let me explain you the difference between productive to the setting and not productive:

Believable: A citizen gathers materials over the course of a few weeks, tearing pieces of textile from standard-issued clothing items and stuffing from his mattress, eventually fixing herself a makeshift plushie to offer some comfort and help her cling to her increasingly fading past.

Not believable: A store full of presumably mass-produced plushies behind sold across the fucking Nexus distributing them to everyone whereupon they go publicly strolling with their newly attained fluffy toy.

BoM's way of dealing with it may not have been ideal at all, but the way I picture it the server was full of people running around holding plushie props and tossing them around, creating an intensely mingy atmosphere and depriving the server of any chance of being taken remotely serious anyway.

Xari said:
That, I agree with. I'm not saying that the idea of a plushy store makes much sense, merely that if the person is roleplaying it and not causing too much harm, then it should be dealt with ICly. People can already buy and sell clothes to one another, so getting textiles either by finding crap cloth from the factories that make citizen clothing (either people selling it on a black market or just picking it out of the trash) or just tearing up old clothing, so the idea of someone putting some sort of stuffing into home-made plushies (and then selling them, but not as a mass-producted factory product) isn't as outlandish as people make it out to be.

...despite the nature of the setting we are in, of course.

Xari said:
Believable: A citizen gathers materials over the course of a few weeks, tearing pieces of textile from standard-issued clothing items and stuffing from his mattress, eventually fixing herself a makeshift plushie to offer some comfort and help her cling to her increasingly fading past.
I would actually really love to see more things like this because it's not only ~actual roleplay~ rather than ass-spawning/scriptwhoring, but it's also actually got some poignancy to it.

Kiako said:
That, I agree with. I'm not saying that the idea of a plushy store makes much sense, merely that if the person is roleplaying it and not causing too much harm, then it should be dealt with ICly. People can already buy and sell clothes to one another, so getting textiles either by finding crap cloth from the factories that make citizen clothing (either people selling it on a black market or just picking it out of the trash) or just tearing up old clothing, so the idea of someone putting some sort of stuffing into home-made plushies (and then selling them, but not as a mass-producted factory product) isn't as outlandish as people make it out to be.

...despite the nature of the setting we are in, of course.
It is outlandish when there are enough of them to set up a stall selling them. People selling things for credits rather than bartering is already pretty silly given the setting (there is literally not a single reason a market economy makes sense under the Combine; any 'currency' would more closely resemble food stamps, like the ruble used to, except there's even less to 'spend' your tokens on since the Combine supply essentials regularly for no charge and don't produce or sell any consumer goods).

From the sounds of things, it's not a case of it not causing too much harm, either, because people were allegedly running around throwing them about like shitlords. I can well believe that since I've seen it happen before when someone decided to set up a stall selling something or other - I want to say it was plushies but my brain is all kinds of fucked and has a bad affinity with deja-vu. At best, it was ass-spawning props with no really sensible way of getting them ICly and then selling them - I would already consider that to be too much for "IC is IC" - but if it was causing people to run about minging in the plaza then welp. The plaza should not be a fucking circus, despite what the majority of S1 dwellers might want to think.

E: People really need to start actually engaging their brains before they spawn shit. Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should, or that it makes sense from an IC perspective.

Symmetry said:

Nobody??
There's a kind of cosmic justice to it.

Turtles or no turtles. Serious RP or mingery. We're all missing the point of this thread. You don't spawn explosive to kill other players without their consent. That's is a rule of this community, and I hope the rest of the administration can see that.

To be honest, I like BoM a lot. I think he's an awesome guy, and Minge-hour is totally a think I know exists, and I let it happen under one rule. If you piss other players off during Minge Hour, you need to stop.

Alright well I'm not entirely condoning what BoM did, it's just that the most I would've done at the time is kick him or ban him for 2 minutes to get the message across that he made his point but shouldn't repeat something like that again. I don't see any need for a long term punishment here.

IMO if nothing was lost and no RP was majorly disrupted all it deserves is a slap on the wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread