Information Terminator Roleplay - Announcement

Once more, TnB will be returning to the future war. A different future, perhaps, but the same war nonetheless.

I'd like to take a moment to make a quick statement on the previous announcement thread that spoke on the topic of HLNA's future, and I can assure that we still intend to move forward with that. That said, we felt that immediately touching back upon that setting was not the right play, but rather to innovate on something we feel TnB has successfully tackled before and to refine it using the perspective that a prior iteration offers.

While much of TRP 3's details are still closed doors, here is a little of what I can reveal:
  • The server will be utilizing the Eternity script created by TankNut and further developed by Drewerth.​
  • Great portions of the TRP branch of Eternity's development are entirely focused upon improving the gameplay elements of TRP, including it's S2K experience and weapons.​
  • The server's setting takes place in the remains of the eastern seaboard of the former United States, taking place around New York and New England in the year 2024.​
  • Plasma is being reworked to complement the use of ballistic weaponry rather than supplant it entirely.​
  • SkyNET will be adjusted to be able to fully commit to combat rather than committing to playing to lose; their armor being largely reduced to allow a more equal playing field that doesn't require one side to S2M unless under specific circumstances.​
  • The Resistance will be independent from the previous rigid military structure Tech-Com provided last iteration. This means you'll all be able to make whatever groups you want, when you want, and run them how you want, without the annoying restriction of the server revolving around a single military entity.​
Things like how Tech-Com & the main player group will be handled, how reprogrammed drones will be handled, what SkyNET drones will be seen at the start of the server, the script, and the lore of the setting are all things that will be revealed further down the road, as snapshots of TRP 3's development and server documents will follow this announcement in due time. Expect some threads in the next couple of weeks explaining the setting more thoroughly and how your characters will be able to interact with it in comparison to the last Terminator server.

Release date: TBA.

We're not going to give a straight release date right this second because we want to make sure every bit of the server will be functional at launch. While this might make some of you think the server's still pretty far off, don't worry: we'll be shooting some robots in the summer, that much is certain.

Ask questions below to your heart's content.

I know that you guys are gonna do well simply because you guys are running it, not dave this time around. If it ends up imploding in on itself atl least you have the freedom to create whatever you want to create.

Best of luck lads. If I get time I'll try and play sometime.

eternity is already calibre based just tell me what hurts more cause im not a gun nut and dont know
If you stick vaguely to foot pounds of force applied to target you can ignore a majority of complaints I'd think(Though you may want to be careful with the high caliber stuff in that case). I don't really know if there's even a method to attempt to model penetration in Gmod but I'm happy to sob in the corner with my precious 5.7mm babies. Also because I have a problem I ended up just trying to make up some crap conversion on the fly for damage, though I'm not sure it'd 'fix' people wanting to walk around with Browning M2's still.

I'm still posting this because I don't have the heart to delete me fussing around with numbers like this for a good twenty minutes. I can plug this stuff into an excel spreadsheet and figure out most of the common ammo types we'll be using damage numbers under this system if there's interest, but it's a little messy. I know I used foot pounds mixed with a meters per second measurement, but I was trying to take the smallest number I could in both cases, so we have a mixed measurement system. Sorry. I'm sure there's a way to improve this, or a better way of doing it anyways. Laugh at my folly, for it is great.

(I think I may have also done a big dumb by using both foot pounds of force and velocity in the same equation like this, as they are closely related, but if what I am remembering right now is correct, velocity can have a big impact on penetration and performance against flesh and other targets.)

ft-lbf*velocity(m/s)/20000= damage?
M80 FMJ 7.62 NATO147.48 Damage
M855A1 5.56 NATO63.67
SS190 5.7x28mm13.12 Damage
124 gr Fed FMJ 9mm Para6.37 Damage
Maybe this just shows the futility of trying to represent rounds like this comparatively or even attempting to have them be competitive with eachother. Maybe doing this for all expected ammo types then attempting to somehow flatten the highs and lows to bring them all a little more in line with eachother could work? (Someone out here must be a math major who knows what I'm talking about)

I'm trying to stick to math here rather than 'X is known to penetrate Y or tumble in flesh' or however many frying pans a bullet can go through. This setup would mean two 5.56 bullets can kill a man(100hp), which seems reasonable(if not particularly enjoyable to be on the receiving end of game wise), but that it takes 8 5.7 rounds, or 16 9mm rounds, neither of which seem nearly as reasonable. Some sort of floor of damage of 10-20 being added in to bring pistol calibers up off the floor and then somehow scaling back the other rounds by changing the equation into:
[[ft-lbf*velocity(m/s)]/30000]+10=Damage
M80 FMJ 7.62 NATO82.51
M855A1 5.56 NATO53.91
SS190 5.7x28mm19.40
124 gr Fed FMJ 9mm Para14.25
By playing around with the number we divide our initial ft-lbf*velocity by, we can increase and decrease the damage on the top end without terribly nerfing the bottom as well by bringing it up, or increase the disparity by making it lower. We can always also increase the floor of 10 damage here to make pistols hit harder, while not giving them an unfair advantage to catch up with rifle caliber rounds.
[[ft-lbf*velocity(m/s)]/40000]+10=Damage
M80 FMJ 7.62 NATO64.37
M855A1 5.56 NATO42.93
SS190 5.7x28mm17.05
124 gr Fed FMJ 9mm Para13.85
This is by no means a perfect solution, as there is a notable difference in performance vs armor in the bottom two, yet only 4 damage difference, but it at least makes each of them seem reasonable compared to eachother. .50 BMG would still deal 318 damage in this system, but frankly, I'm not sure there's a mathematical method to keep rounds like that reasonable compared to other ones. This also doesn't account for things such as barrel length, or even the variable ammo types you could have, but I don't know how much Imp wants to program any of that, if there even is a system for that.

I don't know, maybe this is an okay start to a system, any thoughts for those of you who stuck through reading this whole thing?

• Are we finally going to bring back NPCs for SkyNet, specifically with the lower tier drones early on (600s, 700s, T-1s, etc) because lets be honest, 600s are dumb as fuck and don't need a player behind them. Doesn't need to be anything crazy like having NPC spawns permanently set, but yo use them.

I might be in the minority here, but uh, I do enjoy playing these really low power drones, especially early on when you can do the whole serial killer stomping around juuuust outside someone's hiding place. Though depending on the power rebalances this might not continue to be reasonable, I think it can provide some fun moments. Though we definitely should move away from making people play those sorts of drones all the time, even if they can provide some interesting things. The 600 in Salvation seemed to have more intelligence than we normally treat our 600's with anyways, so perhaps just allowing people to not be a complete oaf on them would be a good solution as well.

Last edited:
The 600 in Salvation seemed to have more intelligence than we normally treat our 600's with anyways, so perhaps just allowing people to not be a complete oaf on them would be a good solution as well.

I mean tbh I often found that drones would get played mostly the same save for minor tweaks in self preservation protocols and usage of thermal optics.
Older series would still have a place in 2024. Plus, more model diversity gives more combat encounter variety.

Pls god get some controllable NPC scripts working, at least for S2RP.

the only thing i care about regarding our evil robots is a 600 and above can easily tank a single magazine of your standard, run of the mill rifle (i.e 5.56 and 7.62). anything like an M2 browning or explosives is guaranteed to turn them into butter however.

also not having them be bullet sponges in s2k is a godsend because that was honestly unnecessary

the only thing i care about regarding our evil robots is a 600 and above can easily tank a single magazine of your standard, run of the mill rifle (i.e 5.56 and 7.62). anything like an M2 browning or explosives is guaranteed to turn them into butter however.
THATS NOT HOW BULLETS WORK ; _ ;

I might be in the minority here, but uh, I do enjoy playing these really low power drones, especially early on when you can do the whole serial killer stomping around juuuust outside someone's hiding place. Though depending on the power rebalances this might not continue to be reasonable, I think it can provide some fun moments. Though we definitely should move away from making people play those sorts of drones all the time, even if they can provide some interesting things. The 600 in Salvation seemed to have more intelligence than we normally treat our 600's with anyways, so perhaps just allowing people to not be a complete oaf on them would be a good solution as well.

I was just saying it wasn't needed, not that people couldn't play them. For sure people should be able to play them, one of the funniest reprogs I got to deal with was a 600 and interacting with them in S2RP/conflict was great because even though they were "obsolete" they were outfitted with some real powerhouse loads (flamers are terrifying) and was able to strike a chord that 800s just couldn't really do. There's something to be said for a drone wading straight into a wall of fire to get the chance at taking out at least one resistance member while every other 800 sat back trying to be tactical. The point I was trying to make was that we could definetly suplement "command"/"smarter" drones with "dumb" drones, like the 600, utilizing the squad AI from HL2. I do not know the code backend for that or if it's even possible but it would be cool to see one 800 rolling deep with a bunch of other drones like we used to have to do with players. We have to acknowledge the lower player counts nowadays as a thing, which is why NPCs would be a good call. It's why I brought it up and bounced it off of Slug already. Sorry for the long winded response but TRP is something I've always been passionate about at TnB, and I'm hoping this time we can do some cooler stuff that we haven't seen in a while.

I was just saying it wasn't needed, not that people couldn't play them. For sure people should be able to play them, one of the funniest reprogs I got to deal with was a 600 and interacting with them in S2RP/conflict was great because even though they were "obsolete" they were outfitted with some real powerhouse loads (flamers are terrifying) and was able to strike a chord that 800s just couldn't really do. There's something to be said for a drone wading straight into a wall of fire to get the chance at taking out at least one resistance member while every other 800 sat back trying to be tactical. The point I was trying to make was that we could definetly suplement "command"/"smarter" drones with "dumb" drones, like the 600, utilizing the squad AI from HL2. I do not know the code backend for that or if it's even possible but it would be cool to see one 800 rolling deep with a bunch of other drones like we used to have to do with players. We have to acknowledge the lower player counts nowadays as a thing, which is why NPCs would be a good call. It's why I brought it up and bounced it off of Slug already. Sorry for the long winded response but TRP is something I've always been passionate about at TnB, and I'm hoping this time we can do some cooler stuff that we haven't seen in a while.

i can assure you drones are being handled properly because someone smarter than me is handling them

New donation, will use to kill T-800's barehanded

Sponsored by Electronic Arts

in his absence, derkman takes polioman’s torch to ask the first polio question of the iteration

Users who are viewing this thread