Terminator Roleplay - Announcement & Information

skylion

your newest internet obsession
Sep 17, 2015

With HLNA complete, I'm finally at full liberty to talk about our next major project, which most people know is Terminator RP. Much about the original plan we had for the server has changed pretty drastically over the last six months and now it's time to go over what those changes are, what this server will be featuring script-wise, and when you'll finally be able to kick back and shoot some robots again.

Like I've previously said, there will be other servers that are propped up and run during TRP's lifespan, but none of those will cause the server to shut down for good so don't worry about that fear that I know has become pretty common as of late. Now, let's get on to the stuff you're here for:

Script changes:
  • This server will be on our TRP version of CombineControl rather than Eternity. It was decided pretty quickly after the departure of our previous developer that using the barebones Terminator branch of it would be just far too much work to implement everything we needed, and probably a bit too messy.​
  • Updated economy system with actually decent looting possible. You won't have to rely on an admin spamming their loot bind and spreading it with a Gbomb to progress in terms of items; it'll all rely on you. Traders will also be a thing using the 'alloy' currency rather than USD, alloys being melted from Terminator chassis. Don't get any smart ideas.​
  • Drone swapping; rather than having to make sixteen different characters to play on your authed SkyNET drones, you'll be able to swap between them on the fly.​
  • Weapon balance will be much more fair to drones and humans alike. No more weapons that auto-nuke drones because somebody paid $60 for something. Plasma for humans will be restricted to 50-watt and no higher than that, and it definitely won't be that high at the launch of the server.​
  • Updated clothing and head models. This, this, and this summarizes it perfectly.​
  • Weapon and armor condition will be featured much more prominently. Weapons and armor both will now be damaged over time through use and at death if equipped by a specific amount, meaning proper maintenance will be required to prevent your favorite gear from exploding in your hands and becoming unusable.​
There's a few more changes outside of the script itself that have much more to do with our actual planning for the direction of the server so I'll go over those briefly.
  • We won't be continuing with the formula of a fully PBG-focused server. We'd rather Terminator be a server that's easy to get into, and that's made easy when having a main faction that anybody can get into and play with the main group of people in - so that means the same militarized Tech-Com will be the main featured faction and there won't be a size cap on it like originally planned. That being said, we'll be taking great care to avoid the headaches of Tech-Com leadership last iteration and also still continuing to give opportunities for PBGs to flourish, they just won't be the main focus anymore and I think this is the best outcome for the server's longevity and ease of access for new and returning players. Giving this setting a STALKER-esque twist sounds nice in theory, but it'd create needless headache and also make the server function a lot less well when there are not as many players on.
  • The SkyNET structure previously announced is going to be reworked a fair bit, alongside most of the SkyNET threads in general that were posted. Different leaders, different styles of doing it. It'll be easier to follow than it was previously. Many of the drone's actual attributes will be changed slightly to meet our needs with this server, too. More on that soon.
  • We'll still be in the same time period and the same location; New York, 2024.
  • The baseball cap will once again be the most rare item at launch.
Release date: Still TBA.

But, it won't be too far off. A couple weeks after the end of the Dead Space RR and we should be robot gaming. I'm not giving a solid date yet because there's still work to be done on the script and I don't think, no matter how much we might want to start shooting robots, anybody wants to rush TankNut.

Big ups to TankNut TankNut for making all of this happen, Deadeye Deadeye for making these God-tier models, and alfa alfa for making textures for the new Tech-Com uniforms (you can find them in one of the hyperlinks above).

having a STALKER twist would be very interesting, i guess i can see a bit of that in making an economy here?

Words cannot describe how spectacularly articulated my pistons are at the concept of killing fleshy humans again.

WOOOO

bummed that I will be away from my PC for the next 6~ months and will miss the opening chapters of this iteration. HOWEVER I know that y'all will be having fun and I look forward to getting in on that once I'm able to

Warning all TC Pvts: ya better act right or 1SG Odom will fuck you up once he back in the AO 😈

skylion skylion will you still be sticking to the idea of a more RP based theme like the Siberia RR, rather than the nigh bi-daily SkyNET camp attacks?

skylion skylion will you still be sticking to the idea of a more RP based theme like the Siberia RR, rather than the nigh bi-daily SkyNET camp attacks?

RP will not be allowed this iteration. All IC communication will be done through shooting guns.

Nah on the real, were going for the best of both worlds this time. Definitely going for a more grounded and serious approach this time around but that doesn't mean we can't do those awesome large scale cinematic fights that last iteration excelled at either, which I think will be even more intense this iteration due to our design philosophy around balancing skynet for actual s2k this iteration

RP will not be allowed this iteration. All IC communication will be done through shooting guns.

Nah on the real, were going for the best of both worlds this time. Definitely going for a more grounded and serious approach this time around but that doesn't mean we can't do those awesome large scale cinematic fights that last iteration excelled at either, which I think will be even more intense this iteration due to our design philosophy around balancing skynet for actual s2k this iteration

Oh for sure! I don't wanna make it sound like cool firefights shouldn't have a place - but the point where the drones became more like targets than threats was when I felt things kinda took a turn.

Much like HL2 I think the big cool firefights should be the payoff/tension relief to the daily day-to-day of dodging and dealing with drones, especially when we're not packing plasma.

Less "honey its 4pm time for your daily base wipe" and more "okay so all the cool stuff you did over the past few days has let us hit this outpost/depot".

tell me combine control is much more updated and refined this time around. and having a tc focused server? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

weapon drops off =
  • no minge with an inventory of a truck running with their mouth and hoovering scripts up like candy
    no "/r dropped my gun, who got /a dropped my donator gun which means im cool give back or ill scream"

weapon drops on =
  • free loot
  • cry babies
take your pick

tell me combine control is much more updated and refined this time around. and having a tc focused server? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Some of the systems are being updated (most notably the clothing, economy and skynet features) but it's still going to be CC, all of it's shortcomings included.

Eternity just isn't an option to use here, the script got fucked in so many different ways and fixing it (not to mention implementing the entirety of TRP) isn't viable with the amount of downtime it would generate. Sure it's a step backwards but everything's already there, all I have to do is go in and do some (much needed) spring cleaning.

Don't worry though, once TRP is up and running stable I'm planning to start working on what will hopefully be the next step forward.

I really don't agree with the item decaying bit

With the addition (or rather proper configuration) of the loot system we essentially have a limitless pool of items flowing into the server, if we don't want to completely destroy the economy there also has to be a way for items (and currency) to flow out without them getting straight up deleted.

This was the best option we could think of.

When skynet apps?

When I write them.

Users who are viewing this thread