TnB 2023 Update

bennet

Roleplay Department Administrator
May 22, 2011
Hello TnB - Apologies for how late this comes. Had to spend the day at the in laws.

It's been a while since I've done a thread like this, I'd say I haven't really felt the need but I suppose for a while I just didn't see the point. I say that without wanting to go too much into past community drama really and not because it's something I want to avoid but because really for the first time I feel we've genuinely moved beyond it. At the same time I need to be aware of how we got here and of all of the people TnB (I mean I) let down on the way. I say that because I know there's a lot of great people involved that we've let down and felt like they could never return here, not counting those that have otherwise escaped from the horrible round about machine that is gmod roleplay.

I feel comfortable posting this thread not just for the community to celebrate Christmas or the holidays together but to acknowledge how far we've come, to make this a safe and secure community for people of all types. I feel happy knowing that people can genuinely be themselves here and that the likelihood of facing ridicule or mockery is so miniscule and that if they do at all the person behind it will be dealt with swiftly. With that in mind I want to put myself forward and apologize for when I didn't do the same beforehand, for whatever reason. All that I can promise is that nobody on TnB will ever be attacked for who they are, be it their gender, sexuality or race ever, ever again. To those that I personally had a hand in letting down - I'm sorry.

Personally this has been a weird year. I moved countries and was settling down roots for a good few months. I was barely able to pay much attention to the community at the beginning of the year and of course it suffered but I'm thankful for the admins and the community members that draw people in and keep everything going. I know the same thing is happening now even as Skyrim has stepped back and I defer to the team as HL2 progresses forward. I only mention this because I want to shine a spot light on what a beautiful team we've got in those that manage and push HL2 forward. I know there's been disagreements for this and that and that sometimes events became a slog, or that sometimes people felt that the team wasn't entirely listening to them - I just really want to nail down how difficult this stuff can be. How difficult it can still be, after years of doing it you've got to realize that the people that are still putting themselves in the position to manage it all, for them it's a passion. They want you to have fun, they are not there to spite you. I know it's not always easy but work with them, they genuinely have the enjoyment of the setting in mind when it comes to presenting it to you, the players.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not I hope you have a great day. I want to reassure you all that be no matter what we get involved in, be it HL2, TRP, SRP, ZRP, anything else. The community itself will always be here. HL2 has remained up as promised even during the extensive down times and it will continue to be kept up regardless of what comes. You all make this community what it is (for better or worse :) ) and we are committed to presenting something that keeps you wanting to return. With that in mind I'd like to confirm two things, the first RR of 2024 will be Aliens, likely sometime in February with details penned just after the new year. The second RR is The Thing, to happen a short time after. I usually do The Thing around Halloween but there wasn't a good time to work it in this year. Details about that and what makes it different than the last to follow.

Last edited:
I just want to make a new roleplay gamemode on S&Box. I hate the old engine. I hate reading Lua errors.

Need Garry to finish that shit.

Actual message from Gangleider to me in 2015: No point in devving, Source 2 will be out soon

Thank you to all of our developers, past and present.

merry christmas to all. I hope everyone got a little something they really wanted, had something happen that they were waiting forever for, or go somewhere they’ve always wanted. If you are hurting this holiday for any reason I’m sorry and hope bennets hype RR news brought some smiles, cause it did for me.

didn’t want to overshadow bennet so this is spoiler but you made me cry a bit going back and thinking about history here as you talk about moving forward. sorry if it’s too much even in spoiler mode you can delete it if that’s the case

can’t even begin to say how thrilled I am to be able to still be here, and have this community that was a long part of my life and will always be concrete memories. I don’t discount people who I’ve never met before/new here as at one time we were all that guy, the nobody. however the opportunity for expression both ingame and within the community is immense and while we’ve always done some ribbing and had some ugly moments (we were kids/teens/shithead uni students) I think we always can appreciate the effort someone puts into something even if it’s not what we’re drinking that night.

the effort to keep any community alive for this long is insane. If I had to count on my fingers how many different communities (not even RP or game related and of various sizes) were still going, it would be one, which would be my middle finger to anyone who can’t put aside embarrassment, beef, or disdain for this place. I was in that boat for years thinking I couldn’t rebuild the bridge back to a community where I had people with very like minded interests and people who appreciated me but I was too narcissistic and thought I’d grown past this. Years later I regret leaving this by the wayside knowing a lot of time wasted on other attempts to fill that RP void were just half-baked or not fun in comparison to even the low points we have here.

this has always been a labor of passion and love from the community. there’s a lot less instant gratification from serious RP, there’s nothing you can brag about to anyone outside of people who have done some serious RP. thankfully the popularity from the years of content packs spread far and wide and has cemented this place as a household name even if you’ve never been here. thats actually how I got my start here, moving from half assed openaura servers after finding dave b’s old models for HL2 and TRP wondering what the source was exactly.

bennet, hope you read this far because I want you to know that you are such a champ. there’s names no longer here that i thought would be in your shoes, im sure the truth of the matter would make me even more elated knowing you are still where you were when I left and that tnb wouldn’t be turning a new positive page if you weren’t. I probably had some shit attitude with you despite running in the same social circle at the time and regret that, or at least regret not trying to be more friendly with you. don’t feel like you’ve failed anyone man, it’s great to own up to faults but don’t let it hang on you. let it be a reminder now for how much not only TnB has grown but you have grown, and I think you’ve grown into a good person when after not being here for years and through probably some of most turbulent social and political times of our generation (which always trickles down into gaming), to come back and see how much of a positive leader and the amazing team of gigachad admins/devs that you’ve brought together. Failure this time is looking pretty slim in my book brother.

and to people who are new here, I hope y’all can stick around long, can’t live without new blood. honestly a ton of names that were “new” when I was about more are still here and pillars of this community now.

anyway, to wrap up I just want to say thanks. not just to bennet or the team now (you guys are kings don’t let me fool you) but thanks to TnB as a whole. To the fun, the laughs, the discussion, the debate, the drama even. I’ve learned a lot from here, and can probably correlate personality traits and interests I have now to the time spent here, and I say that positively.

big shoutout to Dave o’ B, gang as well, and all past and present devs(drewerth cough) you guys make the script the most unique and fun to play on vs any clockwork type detractor, as well as all the old homies like stevefish (c17 union chad) and pirate(man always had a sick pair of wheels to RP fixing n riding in any iteration, like a lighthouse for me).

love to all,
kordinn

It's very wholesome to see TnB creeping away from the shadow of toxicity that utterly poisoned the well for some people. I haven't kept up with affairs, so I guess that explains why Sky disappeared on discord. I'm glad things are still OK, and I recently went through a house move myself so between that, work and family commitments I've been tied up myself. Maybe I'll be able to jump in on the RR, who knows.

Hope you're doing well.

Hello TnB - Apologies for how late this comes. Had to spend the day at the in laws.

It's been a while since I've done a thread like this, I'd say I haven't really felt the need but I suppose for a while I just didn't see the point. I say that without wanting to go too much into past community drama really and not because it's something I want to avoid but because really for the first time I feel we've genuinely moved beyond it. At the same time I need to be aware of how we got here and of all of the people TnB (I mean I) let down on the way. I say that because I know there's a lot of great people involved that we've let down and felt like they could never return here, not counting those that have otherwise escaped from the horrible round about machine that is gmod roleplay.

I feel comfortable posting this thread not just for the community to celebrate Christmas or the holidays together but to acknowledge how far we've come, to make this a safe and secure community for people of all types. I feel happy knowing that people can genuinely be themselves here and that the likelihood of facing ridicule or mockery is so miniscule and that if they do at all the person behind it will be dealt with swiftly. With that in mind I want to put myself forward and apologize for when I didn't do the same beforehand, for whatever reason. All that I can promise is that nobody on TnB will ever be attacked for who they are, be it their gender, sexuality or race ever, ever again. To those that I personally had a hand in letting down - I'm sorry.

Personally this has been a weird year. I moved countries and was settling down roots for a good few months. I was barely able to pay much attention to the community at the beginning of the year and of course it suffered but I'm thankful for the admins and the community members that draw people in and keep everything going. I know the same thing is happening now even as Skyrim has stepped back and I defer to the team as HL2 progresses forward. I only mention this because I want to shine a spot light on what a beautiful team we've got in those that manage and push HL2 forward. I know there's been disagreements for this and that and that sometimes events became a slog, or that sometimes people felt that the team wasn't entirely listening to them - I just really want to nail down how difficult this stuff can be. How difficult it can still be, after years of doing it you've got to realize that the people that are still putting themselves in the position to manage it all, for them it's a passion. They want you to have fun, they are not there to spite you. I know it's not always easy but work with them, they genuinely have the enjoyment of the setting in mind when it comes to presenting it to you, the players.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not I hope you have a great day. I want to reassure you all that be no matter what we get involved in, be it HL2, TRP, SRP, ZRP, anything else. The community itself will always be here. HL2 has remained up as promised even during the extensive down times and it will continue to be kept up regardless of what comes. You all make this community what it is (for better or worse :) ) and we are committed to presenting something that keeps you wanting to return. With that in mind I'd like to confirm two things, the first RR of 2024 will be Aliens, likely sometime in February with details penned just after the new year. The second RR is The Thing, to happen a short time after. I usually do The Thing around Halloween but there wasn't a good time to work it in this year. Details about that and what makes it different than the last to follow.
Time to make an appearance after all these years, haven’t been on for so long but reading this has put a smile on my face, hope you, the staff team and all the players have a wonderful and happy holiday, I may make an appearance in the new year, we shall see, much love to you all, mwah.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Thank you Bennet for sticking with this community as long as you have despite everything, and thank you to everyone whose dedication and hard work has kept this community alive for so long, and made it one of the best RP communities I know of.

Thank you everyone, past and present, for keeping this place alive and trying to better not only themselves but the community as a whole. Let’s see what the next year brings. Merry Christmas to all of you glorious bastards.

Happy Holidays, everyone! Hope everyone gets to spend time with their loved ones today.

Forever grateful for the people here. 🙏

My involvement with TnB has largely been whittled down to philosophical rants in feedback threads & the occasional cynical shoutbox shitpost but I would like to comment on the progress TnB has made in terms of shedding the toxicity that made it so bitter and awful in years past.

While unfortunately some of the truly insane and horrible people were also some of the most prolific creators, plenty of others were shunned out over petty roleplay arguments and pointless clique drama. Although an unlikely gift, I have to say... all I want for Christmas is to see the gang back together. It actually brings tears to think of the old days - so much creativity, so much passion poured into so many projects that were teeming with life breathed into them by dozens (or at one time, hundreds) of people from many walks each bringing their own flavor and unique skills to the scene. I regret that for so long I rejected and pushed away people I didn't consider up to an arbitrary roleplay 'skill' level and the part I no doubt played in tempering the passions and eventually involvement of others.

I know the majority of people now missing from this place won't come back for anything but I dearly miss being part of such a large and varied community and I'd give just about anything just to get everyone to give it a shot again.

For the benefit of any of those people who might be reading this, I'd also like to comment directly on Bennet, who went from someone I deeply reviled to a friend and co-creator. I mention this to highlight the personal growth that Bennet has undergone in the many years that we've been doing this and to say that if you've been around long enough to have bad memories of him you're old enough to have grown too in that time. If you still roleplay but the past is holding you up from trying to make something with this place, it's time to try to let it go. The proof is that only through that growth were Bennet and I able to work together and at least partially realize my dream STALKER server, although sadly some others were unable to grow similarly and through that poisoned the well.

As for myself- I haven't really quit. I'd still play. I just feel like the server is kind of... mired in doldrums. Any freeform narrative roleplay requires more than the 20-30 active players it's seeing to really maintain the atmosphere that draws me in. I got tired of seeing the same few characters stuck in what felt like the same circular plots and wasn't having fun. I'd love to see some old faces come back to play - we could really do something with some more people.

Merry Christmas, TnB - for me, it's my 15th (16th?) Christmas here.

Merry Christmas everyone. This place has been a big part of my online presence since I first joined and I’ve been hooked since. I know I don’t know any of you in real life, and I may make myself out to seem like a real ass- but I truly wish the best for you all in life and in the New Year. Thanks for being awesome.

My involvement with TnB has largely been whittled down to philosophical rants in feedback threads & the occasional cynical shoutbox shitpost but I would like to comment on the progress TnB has made in terms of shedding the toxicity that made it so bitter and awful in years past.

While unfortunately some of the truly insane and horrible people were also some of the most prolific creators, plenty of others were shunned out over petty roleplay arguments and pointless clique drama. Although an unlikely gift, I have to say... all I want for Christmas is to see the gang back together. It actually brings tears to think of the old days - so much creativity, so much passion poured into so many projects that were teeming with life breathed into them by dozens (or at one time, hundreds) of people from many walks each bringing their own flavor and unique skills to the scene. I regret that for so long I rejected and pushed away people I didn't consider up to an arbitrary roleplay 'skill' level and the part I no doubt played in tempering the passions and eventually involvement of others.

I know the majority of people now missing from this place won't come back for anything but I dearly miss being part of such a large and varied community and I'd give just about anything just to get everyone to give it a shot again.

For the benefit of any of those people who might be reading this, I'd also like to comment directly on Bennet, who went from someone I deeply reviled to a friend and co-creator. I mention this to highlight the personal growth that Bennet has undergone in the many years that we've been doing this and to say that if you've been around long enough to have bad memories of him you're old enough to have grown too in that time. If you still roleplay but the past is holding you up from trying to make something with this place, it's time to try to let it go. The proof is that only through that growth were Bennet and I able to work together and at least partially realize my dream STALKER server, although sadly some others were unable to grow similarly and through that poisoned the well.

As for myself- I haven't really quit. I'd still play. I just feel like the server is kind of... mired in doldrums. Any freeform narrative roleplay requires more than the 20-30 active players it's seeing to really maintain the atmosphere that draws me in. I got tired of seeing the same few characters stuck in what felt like the same circular plots and wasn't having fun. I'd love to see some old faces come back to play - we could really do something with some more people.

Merry Christmas, TnB - for me, it's my 15th (16th?) Christmas here.
Miss your involvement Pirate. One of the best roleplayers I've gotten to encounter, and I hope to see you on server again some day. Merry Christmas to you my dude :)

Users who are viewing this thread