Opening up

TankNut

Legend
Oct 23, 2014
If you haven't heard the other bit of news, check here first.

TnB's always been something of an oddity in terms of the scripts used, whereas a lot of other communities try to leverage some premium or open source script like nexus/openaura/clockwork or one of the many nutscript derived gamemodes we've done most of our stuff using our own in-house developed code.

While this has certainly helped us it's also made developing for it somewhat difficult, back in 2016 I ended up writing the 23rd most popular vehicle addon on the workshop to serve as a resume for me to get in. As great of a decision that turned out to be it's also a bit of a high bar if you'd ask me.

So before taking off I figured I'd try and do something about this and make sure that even if nobody steps up to fill the shoes of a permanent developer the community will end up being able to take it upon themselves to keep the script updated.

... by open sourcing a good chunk of it.

Combinecontrol: https://github.com/TacoNBanana/combinecontrol-public
Eternity: https://github.com/TacoNBanana/eternity-public

Most of the info you'll need is in the wiki included with each repository but I'll answer some of the most common questions people are going to have below.

Where is legacy hl2/hlna?

Legacy is being left out since the majority of development work on there was done by other people and we'd rather keep that one to ourselves. HLNA on the other hand is such a mess that I'm just not going to bother, plus there's a decent chunk of code in there written by Drewerth and I'm not dealing with the potential drama of releasing his code without his knowledge or permission there.

Does this mean other servers can take the code and use it?

The code is licensed as MIT so yes they can do whatever they want with it, that being said the script has exactly 0 documentation and none of the content is included so unless they're really dedicated it's very unlikely to be worth the time and effort.

Can players contribute to the script now?

Yes? Maybe? I can't really say since I'm not going to be involved with those decisions going forward. I certainly hope that it ends up being the case though.

What about SRP?

The stalker script for the upcoming server is open source as well and can be found here: https://github.com/TacoNBanana/zonecontrol

Last edited by a moderator:
The stalker script is also open source & the code is publicly viewable on github but I don’t have the link handy as I’m on my phone. If anyone does have it feel free to post it.

I'm gonna miss you here mate. I just wish more of the frustrations over TRP3 weren't directed at ya, and more the early handling of the server that left you and the administration high and dry.

God speed you magnificent bastard

My pea brain don't work numbers good so this won't mean anything to me, but I know open source is generally a great thing for advancements so thanks big man.

Good luck.

So I won't be going and making a goddamn essay when I can just cut it short to well.....Thank you TankNut for sticking around and dealing with all kinds of bullshit and drama ( Some equal to Twitter drama level ) and other kinds of shit that this community had created and thrown at you.

You working on the scripts ( And everything else ) gave many people here a chance to create their own stories, to put themselfs in the shoes of whatever scenario was created and given to us to play around with.

And I think everyone here can agree that you will be missed, but your own health and mind is way more important than developing for a community that is tiring you out.

I wish you Good Luck on whatever path you will find yourself and again thank you for sticking around with us.

Users who are viewing this thread