Community Update 3 - HL2 Plot and Server Direction

Hey everyone.

I know a few of us have been getting antsy in regards to HL2's direction. People want to know where we're going and what we plan to do, so I'm going to try and lay it out without spoiling too much and keeping it pretty brief for the sake of not having to read through one of my multi-paragraph threads yet again.

First things first: the server is going to follow a structured plot line which we've recently laid out and agreed to move forward with. Don't expect HL2 to immediately dive into the PHL2 direction of an event every weekend, but do expect the frequency of story progression to pick up greatly through the next couple weeks and after. This also shouldn't signal the end of the server approaching rapidly or anything of the sort; we intend on keeping HL2 running for as long as people are willing to keep playing. Nobody wants to keep playing just to experience the same old city experience that we've been locked down on for years now, so it's our intention to change that up greatly and add a lot for people to play with into the mix. Events in regards to the story, unlike before, are going to be announced on the forums so everyone gets a chance to make sure they can attend.

We wanted to start pushing plot right off the bat, and we tried, but having 50-60 players a day with so much player-driven conflict made it hard for us to fit our own plot material in there without stomping over what people were doing in-character of their own accord. Now that things have relaxed a bit and people have gotten their energy out, it'll be much smoother for us to move forward and get the server's story progressing.

Also, since I've actually been asked this a few times recently, we're not going to move forward with the concept of making the server outlands-only. If anything like that happens, it'll be a good deal down the line and a sensible part of the plot we've followed up to that point.

Last thing I wanted to mention is that we now have multiple developers working on our script, and we have some big plans for HL2 and Eternity in general. More info on that later on.

That's all, really. If you have questions feel free to leave them below.

It might be nice to have a few Outland/Canal events every now and again, but as it is I'm pretty happy with how things are going. I'm also very happy that we have multiple developers now, as in the past I was afraid that Drew/Imp was our only man on the job.

My biggest gripe with the way things are is that this feels like every iteration we've done so far. It doesn't feel like America, it doesn't reflect the launch trailer, and everything that can provide something different or interesting to the server is either locked behind a time-delay or red tape. There, I said it. I have trust in the team, but man, I have multiple characters across all factions and it just seems like it is getting pretty stagnant and stale.

I feel like we are falling into the same loop of cop versus robbers, with the annoyed screams of either side getting louder and louder before everyone begins to wonder just what the heck is going on.

But honestly, an announcement of the trademark 'wait and see' doesn't inspire much confidence. I'd like to do more, but even my ideas are scrambling to find things to do.

And so we find the server on the same map, with the same issues, and the same period of silence that comes with an announcement that basically announces that there will be an announcement. Please, give a few more nuggets of info- I think the players deserve that much at least.

I have no idea whats going on
Seems ur not the only one.
My biggest gripe with the way things are is that this feels like every iteration we've done so far. It doesn't feel like America, it doesn't reflect the launch trailer, and everything that can provide something different or interesting to the server is either locked behind a time-delay or red tape. There, I said it. I have trust in the team, but man, I have multiple characters across all factions and it just seems like it is getting pretty stagnant and stale.

I feel like we are falling into the same loop of cop versus robbers, with the annoyed screams of either side getting louder and louder before everyone begins to wonder just what the heck is going on.

But honestly, an announcement of the trademark 'wait and see' doesn't inspire much confidence. I'd like to do more, but even my ideas are scrambling to find things to do.

And so we find the server on the same map, with the same issues, and the same period of silence that comes with an announcement that basically announces that there will be an announcement. Please, give a few more nuggets of info- I think the players deserve that much at least.
I’m not going to lie, I’m going to say this from a bit of a cunt’s prospective. But Bozo isn‘t wrong, the definition of the story has been slandered and lathered into oblivion many times, with it just becoming a circle and repeat. The same issues that have been constantly told will be resolved continue to not, and return. Showing /some information/ does not spoil a story, it helps guide and show the equal direction you want, the story here is currently nothing but a “I’m important and admin we go this way.” Direction, factional changes are in disarray, faction leaders complain because they get no info rightfully so, And the actual story changes haven’t felt like any. As stupid as it’s going to sound, in half life two, the god damn anti citizen one and stuff /didn’t just get forgot/ the entire city constantly was on alert for them, and that’s even reflected on Alyx, so I don’t want to sound like a cunt. But the story has felt after talking to a few people, faction Commands included, very mis directional and problematic. You need to help direct the story, as well as fix the internal problems within the system that are prohibiting you from, otherwise what’s the true story, how are we all enjoying it, if we don’t even know what is and isn’t the story...
sorry I had to get off my chest after hearing more then 10+ people say the same issues, over and over. That I keep asking to be resolved.

Also I’m sorry for the double post, but you need to be more active those of you in The administrator team That aren’t, Ive seen a few of you /never/ say anything publicly or on the server, that’s not to discredit you doing something, but it seems the community feels only a few admins are actually..apart of it and listening. And they shouldn’t be the only ones seen as that when your all equally involved.

Users who are viewing this thread