Bennet (staff complaint)

• Attention
    • Do not post useless +support.
    • Do not post personal vouches.
    • Do not shitpost or derail.
    Failure to adhere to this will get you infracted and/or banned.

A permanent ban is often a method to get the accused to post an appeal. It is not at all times the verdict.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FagsBeHoppin

Nov 22, 2014
  • Players Name: Bennet
  • Steam ID: I'm not sure. He's on the staff team, so I don't think it'll be too hard to find.
  • Reason for ban: He kicked my friend for "punchwhoring." The guy flipped my friend off VIA /me, and then threw a punch at my friend, prompting my friend to beat the shit out of him. Then, my friend get's kicked. So my friend joins back, and he says "/a Could I have an admin to me?" Bennet bans him for 10 minutes. The reason was "You know that's a stupid thing to do." When I asked why my friend got banned, I got NO response whatsoever. This was ridiculous, uncalled for, and unprofessional of him.
  • Proof:
  • http://gyazo.com/d0a06df2dbe076d9d78b7a241b9a1a12
  • http://gyazo.com/ca06423c24544b578d8cb9ab20988c70
    http://gyazo.com/3ec3b980829dcb6c0ce1099503b74846
  • What would you like to see improved: I would like this player to either explain his/her actions, get kicked off of the staff team, and/or get banned.

• EXTRA NOTES: I didn't know where the staff complaint section was, so I posted it here. Please move this thread if possible to the correct section. My friend's name is "Johnathon Johnson"

Is this your friend?

[YELL] Johnathan Johnson: you wanna step over here real quick?
Johnathan Johnson spits in mans face caling him pussy
Johnathan Johnson spits in officers face and walks away
Yeah, right outside the nexus. It's late at night and I don't have patience for that, I doubt the people online actually wanting to roleplay do as well.

Also, I did answer you, I answered you in global chat.

[OOC] Brian Snow: Doing dumb shit like "/me walks up and spits in the officers face then walks off" right outside the nexus is just fucking dumb, sorry. I'm not gonna put the CCA online through that or have them deal with that

Listen, man. It's a seriousRP server. You've got to respect everyone's unique character that they play in it. Some are brave, some are cowards. Some are drug lords, some are rebelers. It's the character you play. It's the role you're assigned. Whether you're a hitman, or a shop owner. There will always be two sides to this story. What you call minging, I call unique characterization. It's what builds this server and makes it fun, unlike most servers on Garry's Mod. So what if he spits on your face? You bash his head in with your stunstick. It's unnecessary to kick him just because he was trying to play his part. And yes, I do think that it's highly unlikely that a civilian would do that in the Half Life 2 universe, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. And him "minging" in the plaza, hitting that person, he flipped my friend off, and when we told him to come over there, he raised his fists and took a swing at us. That's why we beat the mess out of him. He had done nothing wrong there. The point I'm trying to get across here is that what you think is impossible and shouldn't happen, COULD IN FACT HAPPEN. Why would you not just warn him in out-of-character chat that what he was doing was wrong? Why was it necessary to go as far as kick him, and then ban him just because he had said something to you. What if he was a new player? What would he have thought then? I'll tell you what he would have thought. He would have thought "Man, this guy kicked me just because I was trying to role play. It's a role play server for a reason. Wow, I'm never playing this again." It's VITAL, for you as a staff member, to correct players so that they can correct themselves next time for doing something wrong. I suppose you'll be permanentally banning the next guy for saying "Hi" to a Civil Protection.

FagsBeHoppin said:
I suppose you'll be permanentally banning the next guy for saying "Hi" to a Civil Protection.
This is funny.

Oh right. Content.

The vast majority of your post sounds like it's written from the perspective of someone who's spent a ton of time in DARK RP servers, which doesn't exactly have the same standards that we've come to expect. Which sounds elitist and shitty and we try to be very inclusive to people willing to take the time to develop their skills as most of us have here or in the communities before this. The solution to your problem isn't a CCC post. The proper way to solve a problem like this would be a PM to Bennet or another member of the staff as outlined in the admin roster for HL2 and discuss your issue.

You realize that you actually can't just come onto the server and roleplay whatever you want, right? You may roleplay whatever you want within reason, so long as it would reasonably exist in the Half-Life 2 universe. That means that you begin your adventure on our server as a citizen, of whom you may roleplay as a coward, a brute, a drunk, a fighter - whatever, so long as your character is built around the story. If your character is walking up to a unit of the Civil Protection and spitting in his face, you are either roleplaying as a citizen that is mentally challenged (and you will be killed) or you are legitimately an idiot (and you will be killed). Bennet most likely handled the issue accordingly because you clearly do not understand the environment you have freely chosen to roleplay in. This is not DarkRP, this is not Trouble in Terrorist Town, this is Half-Life 2 Serious RP. If you don't prove to the server that you can handle that responsibility, you will be dealt with by our administrators.

Bennet could have pulled the both of you aside and explained to your what you were doing wrong, and he should have tried to teach you in case you were not aware, but at this hour you run the risk of encountering administrators with little patience for ignorance or mingery.

FagsBeHoppin said:
Listen, man. It's a seriousRP server. You've got to respect everyone's unique character that they play in it. Some are brave, some are cowards. Some are drug lords, some are rebelers. It's the character you play. It's the role you're assigned. Whether you're a hitman, or a shop owner. There will always be two sides to this story. What you call minging, I call unique characterization. It's what builds this server and makes it fun, unlike most servers on Garry's Mod. So what if he spits on your face? You bash his head in with your stunstick. It's unnecessary to kick him just because he was trying to play his part. And yes, I do think that it's highly unlikely that a civilian would do that in the Half Life 2 universe, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. And him "minging" in the plaza, hitting that person, he flipped my friend off, and when we told him to come over there, he raised his fists and took a swing at us. That's why we beat the mess out of him. He had done nothing wrong there. The point I'm trying to get across here is that what you think is impossible and shouldn't happen, COULD IN FACT HAPPEN. Why would you not just warn him in out-of-character chat that what he was doing was wrong? Why was it necessary to go as far as kick him, and then ban him just because he had said something to you. What if he was a new player? What would he have thought then? I'll tell you what he would have thought. He would have thought "Man, this guy kicked me just because I was trying to role play. It's a role play server for a reason. Wow, I'm never playing this again." It's VITAL, for you as a staff member, to correct players so that they can correct themselves next time for doing something wrong. I suppose you'll be permanentally banning the next guy for saying "Hi" to a Civil Protection.
Making a big post to try and brush off the fact you live in a dictatorship where anyone can be killed at the drop of a hat by the Civil Protection for any little reason is laughable. Sure, you could play that character but the chances of that person acting like that when they should be aware of that fact in the first place is inexcusable, period.

You're living in a city where your every movement is analyzed and scrutinized by your new overlords, you're in constant fear for your own life due to the fact you as a citizen have damn near no say as to what can and will happen to you. It might not be very conducive to roleplay but that's the setting we're in, there's no shaking that fact off with any half-assed explanations.

And so you aren't allowed to role-play as a retarded person, or perhaps a legitimate idiot? I highly doubt there are no crazy/idiotic/retarded people in the world of Half Life 2. There will always be people like that. It simply does not matter what world you're playing in. And I apologize if I missed it in the rules where it says "You may roleplay within reason. Roleplaying as a mentally ill person is NOT withing reason." You realize that roleplaying as an idiot is perfectly within reason, right?

FagsBeHoppin said:
And so you aren't allowed to role-play as a retarded person, or perhaps a legitimate idiot? I highly doubt there are no crazy/idiotic/retarded people in the world of Half Life 2. There will always be people like that. It simply does not matter what world you're playing in. And I apologize if I missed it in the rules where it says "You may roleplay within reason. Roleplaying as a mentally ill person is NOT withing reason." You realize that roleplaying as an idiot is perfectly within reason, right?
You clearly don't give a shit about the place and you're trying to yank peoples chains with trying to come up with another stupid argument. Playing a mentally ill character will result in near immediate death in the Combine sphere of influence. You'd be treated as a detriment to society and snuffed out, simple as.

There are, and as I mentioned, they are killed almost immediately.

You can get in a few lines of hilarious dialogue, and you could even spit in an officer's face like your friend did, but your character will be killed regardless. To be quite honest, though, all most citizens deemed "mentally or physically unfit for labor and other services" were purged by the Combine during relocation. At this point, you're grasping for straws that all happen to be irrelevant to our community. If you don't like our server, or the seriousness of our roleplay, show yourself the door.

And who might be telling you that I don't like the server? I do love the server. I love it to death, and if it shut down, I would be depressed for days. And what if one of those mentally disabled people survived? And might I ask why that officer didn't shoot my friend, but instead banned him? Why not Role Play the situation?

I understand unique characterization, this wasn't unique in any sense of the word. You're absolutely right, this is a serious roleplay server and the people that come here regularly expect other players to create sensible, interesting characters so that they can interact with them and make a story with them. No one is going to glean anything interesting from Johnathon Johnson.

I had a conversation with him and explained why he was kicked, obviously he didn't understand me and his attitude was rather poor as well.

[PM to Johnathan Johnson]: What do you want to talk about?
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: about an admin kicking me becuase i was rping with something and we were rp fighting then baning me for 10 mintues because i asked for an admin to come to me
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: it was bennett. is there a way i can post an admin complaint
[PM to Johnathan Johnson]: You were minging in the plaza from what I seen, and I'm him. Typing in lowercase, doing dumb stuff like "/me spits on the officer and walks away" right outside the nexus. If you want to post a complaint you can use the general discussion board.
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: me and someone were rp fighting. then i saw you face us so i stopped. then you kicked me for rping basically. then you banned me for calling an admin. LOL
[PM to Johnathan Johnson]: If that's what you believe you can post that in the thread.
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: thats what happen. and you are just to scared to say the truth becuase you are wrong.
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: you are the only admin that has said anything to me just to let you know. you probably think you are better than everyone
[PM to Johnathan Johnson]: I got rid of you because what you were doing in the plaza was plain stupid. Your name is Johnathan Johnson so almost immediately I don't think you're here to do serious roleplay, I think you'd be taken more seriously if you presented yourself better.
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: you dont judge someone by their name? how would you like it if i make fun of your name becuase you have letters and numbers in yours.
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: and how is it dumb? i was roleplaying
[PM to Johnathan Johnson]: A name gives an impression, like it or not. Do you know what the CCA is, and how characters in the CCA are identified?
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: you dont kick someone because of your impression of them. you kick them for their actions. all i was doing was roleplay. i was just getting into a roleplay fight because most of the time when i get into a roleplay fight a officer would chase me or something. but noooo you had to kick/ban me
[PM to Johnathan Johnson]: I kicked you for your actions. What you consider roleplay, I considered minging. Typing in lowercase, punching in the plaza, typing something like "/me spits in your face calling you a pussy" isn't roleplay. Honestly, I suggest you go to the forums and read some of our guides.
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: you kicked me? he started it all when we were by you. then he ran by you and you kicked me. me flipped me off
[PM from Johnathan Johnson]: and so what if i spit in your face. its roleplay some people are brave some arent. maybe if you look at my bio youd understand why
[PM to Johnathan Johnson]: I kicked/banned the group that was there. I've told you what you did was wrong, if you can't see why then that's unfortunate. Take it to the forums if you believe you have a legitimate complaint to make.

His attitude was poor because he was angry. He thought he had gotten kicked and banned for no reason. Do you know how frustrating it is to experience the presence of an abusive admin? They can do anything they want with you, they are in complete control with you. Had you banned him with a proper message instead of saying "That's stupid", maybe he would've understood to an extent instead of assuming that you were beating his ass for no reason. It's obvious that this conversation is going nowhere, and I suppose he is unbanned, so I'll leave it at that.

Yes, in hindsight I should have presented him with a more formal message, and I would have had I banned him for anything longer than ten minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread