Workbench Additions / Changes

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by Malum Umbra, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Do you prefer to get your weapons through RP, or would you like a system through the bench.

1. I like my items through role-play and /a's.

50.0%
  2. I would like to see the workbench expanded on.

50.0%
  1. Malum Umbra

Malum Umbra Senior Member

Canada
    So I'm making this to go along with my recent interest in the workbench entity / script.

Foremost it would be nice to be able to pick it up with F2, or through the interface to have a 'Pickup' option.

Giving the amount of scripts on TRP, mostly those with weapon modifications such as scopes and addons, I've made this to try and open the idea of people suggesting a way to alleviate the need for admins to constantly spawn in a M4 with ACOG, or a M4 with a under barrel. My Ideas are by no means perfect so if anyone has changes or suggestions this would be the place to put them.

Here is a image of the current interface for those who have not seen it:

Workshop Interface.

I like this interface, there's quite a bit of room for improvements and additions.

My current idea is that rather then adding in scripts for weapon additions, such as scrap metal or electronics. The currently existing 'Repair Kit' and '[insert weapon type] Repair Kit' could be used as a ingredient for upgrading, or changing a weapon. A theoretical example of what I am proposing is that lets say I wanted to add a Thermal scope to my .44 Magnum (There is no weapon for this and I'm not suggesting one be added [It would be dumb] )

Someone could add a thermal imagine device, with a repair kit or without it to add it to the weapon.

Example.

In my suggested addition to the current system, these two items could be combined to make the script for a .44 Magnum with Thermal scope. Along the same vain of thought, if you wished to add a scope, magazine addition, or silencer, You could add the weapon and a amount of repair kits corresponding to that weapon.

I'm not sure which of the resident code monkeys we have the thank for this interface, and the systems behind it. I just hope they spot this at some point and are willing to take a look or suggest alternate methods. All of this I know is easy to subvert with RP and /a's but I feel like it would be more interesting to have Mechanics and tinkerers sending squads of scavengers out to find bits of weapons to upgrade their guns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin Contributor

United States
    Not gonna lie, we've tossed this idea around but it's not serious by any means yet.

IMO giving people the ability to add attachments makes perfect sense but you would still need to go to a QM/Scavenge to find an actual gun and other scripts.

e; By "we've talked" I mean the admins have cause we like to get ahead of ourselves and give Dave anxiety

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    If we allow players to customize weapons to their heart's content, you know what happens?

[​IMG]

Pain fucking happens.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. A Blaze of Glory

A Blaze of Glory Senior Member

United States
    [OOC]: Hey who picked up my M4 203 laser sight holo foregrip master key extended double c-mag flashlight folding stock with suppressed bayonet??

5. BMY871

BMY871 Legend

United States
    Except for the suppressed bayonet isnt that how trp is already

6. The Red Menace

The Red Menace Silent Hill Extraordinaire
    Contributor

United States
    Can’t wait to add a suppresser to my gun and have a foregrip and ACOG magically appear

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. HardHat

HardHat that thing bob the builder wears

United States
    Need an mp7 magazine for that

8. mattcos

mattcos Senior Member

Canada
    My gun is useless unless I suppress my scope

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Malum Umbra

Malum Umbra Senior Member

Canada
    Well, I wasn't exactly implying a free gun modding system, more a way to let people work towards a preferred weapon, rather then try and swipe a M4+Master key from someone, when they could take a regular M4 Script, and through additions, add on the Master key. From there they could remove it, getting their weapon back minus the parts used for the addition, so they could try a different addition to their weapon.

They wouldn't be modding the weapon like other GMod addons [the name escapes me, I think its M9K?] but rather be swapping scripts around with weapon kits used as a catalyst.

• Winner Winner x 1