TRP: The Possible Return

sky

your newest internet obsession
Roleplay Department Administrator
Sep 18, 2015
guess my loa is over if i have to come back to trp now

fks sake can you cunts go back to halo for a lil bit i aint even beat divinity 2 yet

Belowthebelt

TRP Admin
Aug 19, 2011
you monster.

Seriously though, i'm looking forward to TRPs return but with the fragile state of Halo i'm hesitant.

sky sky what do you think of the red prince? i'd recommend pillars of eternity as well mate. pretty good.

sky

your newest internet obsession
Roleplay Department Administrator
Sep 18, 2015
red prince is lovely but my favorite companion is fane...

Disorder

Zealot
Nov 14, 2012
Just remove the Alpha lesbians and everything will be fixed by itself.

Kidding. As someone who went from boot to CO I could draw a few conclusions, at least from my personal experience. People like militaryRP but don't want it excessive, it's always been an issue to try and find the middle ground to satisfy everyone.
The way the game was portrayed, the whole concept was split in half. People who actually roleplayed PTSD from various situations that their characters went through and others that were "yeah sure when we fighting next". And the worst part in this, instead of rewarding those people who actually realistically played their characters, they were either ignored or punished through various IC means.

Another issue, the one from the start was the need to have the best gear and weaponry, a thing that caused various conflicts between players. It went up to the point where people even had the AA12 flag which literally mowed down 600-700 series drones very quickly, thus making the fight fun on barely one side. And this was applied to even people which I considered good roleplayers too, I don't know if it's how human greed works but it caused more bad than good on the long run.

All of this above can be solved very easily if you people start respecting eachother and working /togheder/ to find means of creating a fun and interactive setting. Unless this will change every server, not specifically TRP will end up in a circle and die out in the end.

TheGr8Spade

Dec 31, 2018
just need people to be invested and rp again. seeing how people rp on halo, i know we’re perfectly capable of it. i just cant blame people for not wanting to play trp.

Jul 1, 2018
All of this above can be solved very easily if you people start respecting eachother and working /togheder/ to find means of creating a fun and interactive setting. Unless this will change every server, not specifically TRP will end up in a circle and die out in the end.
This is huge. A lot of this is about respecting other players, like "playing nice in the sandbox". Nobody wants to feel ignored, cast out, or irrelevant. That goes from passive RP to S2RP to S2K. People will not stick around if they are not enjoying themselves, or if they feel like they don't belong. If people aren't getting attention playing a character with a more subtle emotional conflict, they may suddenly start doing more overt things to get attention that may not be realistic given the setting. I'm sure people can think of some cases where they've seen that.

The majority of the responsibility for this falls to the genpop. While admins decide how to take actions in S2RP and can gently encourage people to treat others a certain way, at the end of the day the responsible party is the one whose behavior slowly approaches one-man-wrecking-crew status. TRP is fortunate in that unlike say HL2RP the actual extent of the PVP is typically very limited (a lot of player-played opposition functions like event characters). Considering the player on the other side of the equation typically means you're just trying to give space for an ally, so there really is not a whole lot of cost to taking a step back and easing off the gas.

Btw tho you still should respect Skynet players and not just one tap them. That's not fun for anybody involved

Kieck

poland can into space
Nov 2, 2014
addendum: vetting is still on the focus of taking more than 2 seconds to look at someone. I don't see why the idea of wanting people who can type with capitalization and spelling and don't have a OOC-attiude of 'give me a gun' is bad. Should I adjust that in the main-thread post to clarify?
we're already doing that, people going Cpl. and up are told to recruit dudes that seem like they got the hang of this
we usually rp a little with them to see whether they're a vessel for guns, a newbie who thinks guns = character development (which is really a natural thing, I started out like this too albeit a long ass time ago) or a good RPer, and we give them Rct. or Pvt. depending on their impression on us (it's worth noting Recruits don't get plasma in the beginning)
you get the occasional moron who can write enough lines to fool us but they either end up digging their own graves and desert due to petty reasons or we just give them the boot the moment we realize they're fucking around

this post has been made by the Bravo Command Gang

Foxicus

Mar 6, 2018
People like militaryRP but don't want it excessive, it's always been an issue to try and find the middle ground to satisfy everyone.
imo your best middle ground is just using milsim or milrp or whatever as a tool to help with combat and that’s about it.

dont use it as a platform, as it has been, to just have NCOs scream and berate people to get an ego high, or feel like they’ve earned more respect by yelling at people. 🙄

instead, use it to teach people on a voluntary level things that they can use. different ways to make IEDs in our current setting (such as with fuel cells), best ways to ambush x y z model, ways how to breach a room with x y z model as a threat, etc.

The biggest threat, though, to the server is the pants on head retardation that’s sitting with our way of punishing people. Backtalk? Exile. Having a slave and walkin around with them on a collar? Eh just a meme, slap on the wrist. Someone tries to rescue the slave? Exile. Pubbie group that kind of helped us but had one bad apple? Totally exile all of them. The NR Spec Ops soldier that’s been sadistically torturing all of our men, taunting us on radio, and killing us for the past year? Operation paperclip’d into our ranks, and tell our men to “get along, we need them.”

What. The. Fuck. This goes in line with our milsim shit. PLEASE, stop going after milsim in the wrong aspects.

Foxedit: also, where’s our balance of power? I found it too common that I had an issue with the leadership of a squad, especially when it came to a select couple of NCOs and a few LT’s fucking with my Charlie dudes and trying to get them exiled/booted. I explain this to MY COMMAND and they slap both of them on the wrist. Then it happens again!

This also goes in line with our red tape milsim bullshit. I was told that the corresponding command would be told of “x y z” punishment that the MPs or other squad lead would want to do BEFORE they enacted the punishment. What happens? They do it anyway.

This is why I left. It’s infuriating to try and run a squad or do anything SNCO/CO related while all my emotion and motivation is put towards quelling fires and keeping OTHER SQUADS from fucking with my guys. I really wonder why Charlie has such a shit population.

Last edited:

posepsi

actually el pepso
May 20, 2011
if u want loook bakc in my posts it when I bitched about things having no consequences honestly if that changed I'd come back. Trp ends up being literally the same thing day after day after day and sure it's exciting for a while but when you're playing regularly it gets old fast. Especially when potentially interesting scenarios get shoved aside for another hour long torturous s2k slaughter with shitty instagib weapons breaking any sense of verisimilitude and rp grinding to a halt as everyone repeatedly sprints from spawn to rejoin the fight while 2-3 donators or admins with ass spawned OP guns keep the slaughter going far longer than it should have or needs to and oh God all I want is some peace and quiet but here comes the mortars and John wick ost on loop and what's that I see in the distance it's the ah6s and gunships

yeah

A Blaze of Glory

Subtlety is overrated.
TRP Admin
May 8, 2018
The biggest threat, though, to the server is the pants on head retardation
That's just the nature of the beast.

I'm going to post this all here so I have a documented reference for when this issue pops up again, which unfortunately, it inevitably will.

Without myself and the other admins literally Hand of God-ing decisions onto characters from observe we really can't control how RPer#11789 who's an accountant in real life chooses how to handle the politics of a court martial and the internal investigation as the CO of an infantry company. We really rely on common sense decision making to keep the roleplay gears turning and grounded, but as someone in the adult babysitter profession I can, and always will readily assure you that common sense is anything but common.

It's hard to balance, and it's frustrating. I can appreciate everyone who's frustrated right now with the way things generally work, whether that be IC decision making or how consequences for actions are played out and their effect on characters and their narratives.

You're not screaming into the void in this thread. You're being heard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)