Thread Logos

Discussion in 'Media Section' started by Newticus, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Newticus

Newticus (★★☆☆☆)

United States
    Hey everyone!

Ever since we started doing the banner contest I've been dabbling in graphic design as a hobby by making logos for player-based groups. I find it really entertaining trying to portray the group's philosophy through images in a way that's both concise and appealing. I often do it when I'm bored, and figured that people would appreciate some free graphical work for their groups!

So, if your faction/group needs a cool logo, feel free to post in this thread with a short little synopsis and I'll probably eventually get around to making you a little image. It'd be cool if you could just explain a little bit about the group and what you want the logo to portray. It makes my life easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Alternatively hit me up on discord or forum pm.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Artistic Artistic x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. sneezing slug

sneezing slug mucus mutant

These are really good, dude. Hope to see some of your work in HL2 in the near future.

Especially love the White Forest one- the writing in the treeline silhouettes are a great touch to that theme of resistance and reform.

#2 sneezing slug, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. sneezing slug

Filthy doublepost, oops.

I'm a bit curious- what program do you use? I've been archaically using GIMP 2 for the last few years despite its generally awful comparison to other software (even free ones) but I simply choose to stick with it on the premise that I know my way around it to the point that it would be too much of a bother to switch off it. Might eventually try to migrate to something else.

Also wondering where you grab your fonts. Just google or do you have a preferred site that you use? Or do you make them yourself?

#3 sneezing slug, Apr 8, 2019
  4. Newticus

Newticus (★★☆☆☆)

United States
    I use photoshop for all my logo-making just because I had a pirated copy of that and Sony Vegas that I'd use for all my video making. I eventually just started forking over the money for it.
    I generally use DaFont for my font picking, as they've got a good collection of stylized fonts for non-commercial use. Adobe's Typekit is pretty useful if you're making something for commercial use.
    For situations where the font is a bit more stylized than I could get from a pack, I usually just make them myself.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. sneezing slug

[​IMG]

Haven't heard of DaFont, I'll check it out. Probably grab Typekit too. Thanks.

I'm a bit light on the dollars as of late but I might snag photoshop when I get the chance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Koumakan

Koumakan Zealot

United States
    Not a bad start, what's nice is you have a good sense of understanding in making the logo to fit the respective theme. A lot of people don't really get that for a while.

My advice is to try and stay away from text effects such as stroke, inner shadows. The slavic one works because its meant to be an industrial sort of thing, but white forest, CCA, and gruppa don't necessarily need to be "3d". If you need to use stroke to make something more legible you might want to instead rethink what you have going on in terms of things being too busy. Try to avoid dafonts that are a little too characteristic or have grunge built into them. With the white forest logo it would be better to have a regular typeset over it and instead add grunge over it. This keeps the letter forms unique so for example the two "E"s do not have the same exact grunge/splatter spots. This helps create a more realistic deterioration appearance. You also want to be careful with things like the remnants logo where you seem to appear to be trying to create a logo out of 3 spray overs which are r/b dragged in whichever way you did it. Realistically each of these "3 sprays" would have their own slight bends and imperfections instead of perfect overlaps, and the pain would not be dripping in the same exact spots in the same exact ways. Go back and erase some of the drips so you have irregular and different drips in each area, stuff like that.

A good example of this type of stuff is say you wanted to use a handwritten font. Don't ever do that. Actually hand write it yourself so it's legit.

The West Star logo is a good example of using a more unique font in a decent enough way because it looks like it fits regardless. Also instead of using the photoshop texture filters for the vox populi, look online for some actual texture shots to then overlay on top of and create a much better textured effect.

Also watch out for things like the black flag where spray paint really doesn't come out like that. The letters and the X shape might work, but that's like really really shitty stencils with extreme overspray. I feel like the black flag itself and the underline would just be straight paint and a lot more smooth and less splattery/spray-y.

Or like in the gruppa logo you have stencils there but it's not really being spray painted/painted in general - which is what stencils are for. You have the themes fitting but you also need to make all the little details fit, and thats what leads to being a really good designer. You would never use comic sans for anything other than a comic. You would never use trajan for anything other than actual engravings. Think of what these sort of typesets were made for and what they were made to mimic instead of just how they look.

Think of what a logo actually is and how its more typically used, some of these are more appropriate as a banner instead of a logo and maybe that was your intention but - you get what I mean, maybe.

West Star Armaments, Vox Populi are your strongest logos here, they're definitely the most all encompassing of being a good logo/look for the group described and are only short of your experience.

Keep it up for sure.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. toastmatic

toastmatic paranoid and delusional

remake my sig

8. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    Now I want to make a group on HL2 just so I can get a sweet logo

e: My only criticism is that graffiti doesn't really look all speckled like it is in the Black Flag logo (or at least I've never seen anything like that). You're looking at something fairly smooth unless something awfully wrong has happened, with a fair few of the drips/trails that you have in the Remnants logo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #8 Scouser, Apr 8, 2019
  9. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    gruppa :(

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Newticus

Newticus (★★☆☆☆)

United States
    Bump. I've been practicing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    These are sweet as heck, now I want a group just for a banner

12. Newticus

Newticus (★★☆☆☆)

United States
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    I'm just still funny three months later...