1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Roleplay Exchange V2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anri, Jun 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Anri

Anri Dark Soul
    HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    since the old thread is dead
    https://www.taconbanana.com/index.php/topic/19710-the-roleplay-exchange/

simplified format + date for the sake of letting ppl figure out whether the request is old or not at 1 quick glance

Code:
    [b]Date:[/b]
    X

[b]Character:[/b]
    X

[b](Optional) Steam profile link:[/b]
    X

[b]What are you looking for:[/b]
    X

[b]What do you like in roleplayers:[/b]
    X

[b]What do you dislike in roleplayers:[/b]
    X

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.
    Contributor

United States
    Racist.

Date: 6/9/2017

Character: Dalia Salazar or HAMMER.02.08787/Logan Selby. I'll separate the kind of roleplay I seek for each.

(Optional) Steam profile link: Cannot be assed to dig it out now, I'll edit it in.

What are you looking for: I need foils for each of these characters that'll highlight their downsides in ways that doesn't make them completely hate the other person. IE just enough disagreement if that makes any sense, let me explain.

For 08787, he's ignorant as all hell. I want a character that's not afraid to point things out to him, little holes in his logic. Specially when he starts talking about his plans for the future and desires. Obviously if said character just constantly told him his dreams are stupid and never will happen, he won't progress, he'd just shut down and shut them out. The way I picture is that throughout their conversations is the other person points out small things that get him thinking and he shatters his dreams on his own.

He also wouldn't mind a close patrol buddy because all his friends are dead or out of the district but w/e the character doesn't have to be a unit. (Why did you leave him @Snaparoni ;_;)

For Dalia, she's too forgiving. It takes a lot for her to say she hates someone. I want to see a character who notices this and uses it against her. Taking advantage of her, essentially, using her kindness to manipulate her. Some good drama might spark out of it as well as decent character development that doesn't come from awfully traumatic experiences. That's pretty much where all of her major development is coming from and it's just turning her into a jumpy paranoid wreck.

Tl;dr my characters need an eye opener through a foil. Hit me up on steam so we can chat. I'm very open and cooperative.

What do you like in roleplayers:

Aside from the obvious basic roleplay capability...

- Concise and clear writing appropriate to the situation. (I don't need an essay if they are chatting on a curb).
    - Decent response time for emotes.
    - Consistent, rather stable characters; emotion wise as well. If I want someone who changes emotions like a bipolar merry-go-round all the time I'd call my ex.

This isn't really a specific thing I like in roleplayers but I enjoy having characters converse while my character is doing a task. (Repairing or fixing something, cleaning, etc.). I have a weird habit where I feel I have to emote an action every so many lines so I end up getting really repetitive.

What do you dislike in roleplayers:

- Flowery and incredibly overdetailed emotes for simple tasks. Longer emotes are nice but I don't need to know what happened to your character at 8 AM on December 25th 1991 that influenced what they are doing now.
    - Constant memeing in LOOC. I enjoy fucking around just as much the next guy but it should be pretty clear when and where I like to chat. (Steam?), should be a given but w/e.
    - Massive timezone differences.
    - Incredibly emotionally unstable / Constantly depressed characters. Life is depressing enough without me constantly having to listen to another character's issues all the time while doing /me comforts crying woman/man all the time.

The rest are probably obvious. Incredibly poor roleplay and writing ability.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Snuggles

Snuggles придурка, патриот

United Kingdom
    two beautiful big burly men have wrapped me up in their tight loving embrace and offered me their assistance

the more the merrier i say

Date:

fuck knows lmao look at the bottom of my post

Character:
    CCA.C17-SHIELD.03.20770

(Optional) Steam profile link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/snugglesnugglesnugglesnuggle/

What are you looking for:
    ronjohn

no but seriously, as practically anyone that's friends with me or even knows what characters i play, i'm very resistance focussed right now, but my character means i can't actually play them on s1, and s1 seems to be getting the most pop rn

i'm just looking for someone that can help try to spark my interest in my unit again. she's a character that i spent a long time developing in Times Of Old and i want to get back in to playing her and i want to enjoy flagging up again.

-grammar
    -range
    -someone i can be friends with ooc too b/c i like to be friends with the people i rp with sue me
    -appropriate pacing?
    -stable character

-no grammar
    -cca robots.
    - @adderall
    - @adderall
    - @adderall
    -only looking at things from face value

what i wrote might not be interesting or indepth but tbf i just want an rp buddy on s1

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #3 Snuggles, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. RGB

RGB I am not a bot
    RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    Date:
    2017/06/10

Character:
    Frank (HE IS A SPOOKY ALIEN MAN)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/surgeon-scone/

A best pal.

Really, that's it.

A huge part of a vortigaunt is the often close relationship with a few select others, but this relationship is often very difficult to come across with vortigaunts on TnB without a tremendous effort and often wilts due to misunderstandings on the nature of the creatures, and very difficult to sustain when not promoting it on an OOC basis as well.

What I am looking for her is a guy who'd stick with Frank through thick and thin as his buddy cop in this 80's action flick of Frank's life. Frank is no wisened sage or grand thinker. Frank is an engineer, a greasemonkey, and a go-doer, and honestly just as much a man as any given guy, save for the green skin and whole trouble with human mannerisms, and that's what I'm looking to explore here. A vortigaunt that is completely integrated into human society, one that's had fifteen years of experience growing up with humans, and one that sees itself in the same light as it sees humans in regards to rights, respect, and all things it does, and one that has made best pals with a human.

The trouble in this comes in that Frank is a vortigaunt, and this often leads to stretched conversations about the same old topics on the nature of being an alien, on the vortessence, and the often secluded life they then lead. I don't feel this is how vortigaunts should be portrayed but it is difficult, near impossible, to try out another method without a push like this to find it and try it out. I don't want those mystic talks, most vortigaunts aren't mystics, don't care to be. Frank is here integrating with humanity and wants a pal, and most humans want to see the side of this alien race they could share a beer with.

Ideally the friend shares common interests with Frank in work (tech, engineering, etc.) and in personality (can take a joke, tolerant, what a lad), but they can be new or old, even one of Frank's old friends from White Forest (you'd probably have to get that authed but it's not difficult). This would work out doubly well for me as, while less of a need, I am looking for the exact same thing with Quyen and an interest in Frank's work would naturally bleed into working well there too, or if you're interested in this idea but with only Quyen I'm up for that too actually, just let me know.

Frank needs a friend from the force to back him up, assigned to him by the chief. It's like Lethal Weapon but Danny Glover was replaced with a tiny shouty alien dude.
    So does Quyen.

Oh, and Frank isn't after a vort pal. Quyen would take one though for the exact reasons I'd want Frank to have a human friend like this.

- Relatively active on the chosen character, new or old does not matter, just active moving forward
    - Willing and wanting to chat about when we wanna RP and set aside time to do so if we don't manage to keep it going naturally for our own reasons
    - People who enjoy and thrive in many types of more passive and subdued roleplay, ranging from shooting the shit to tech RP, scouting, whatever, often in small groups doing our own thing
    - People open about their intent and willing to collaborate with anyone to work to a better result agreed on by both parties
    - Matching play times
    - People just here to have a pleasant time and write something nice and being completely content with that sort of thing, not always out to do stuff, but not otherwise totally averse to this all the same
    - Somebody who meshes well with me without effort on either of our parts, it's gotta be natural, and we'd have to give it a go to find out if we don't already RP
    - Realistic limitations, emotions, and motivations for their characters
    - Somebody who can write a good personality with enjoyable and well-accomplished traits, I feel this is more important. A solid personality and how they come across defines a character more than anything else about them

- People who want to win, refuse to make compromises, or in this for themselves
    - People who force their idea or themselves into as many situations as possible regardless of circumstance
    - The people who suddenly RDM or otherwise fuck about, consensual or not, it's god awful and destroys all atmosphere. don't care about the S2Kers so much, however
    - Walking inventories
    - Drop in, drop out characters who hardly exist outside of the bubble of time they are played in
    - A lack of any sense, patience, or imagination
    - Hotheads

5. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble diamond in the rough
    Contributor

United States
    hi~
    visit your buddy in detainment~?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Newticus

Newticus New Blood
    Contributor

United States
    Date:
    7/14/17

Character:
    Aileanna Kerr

http://steamcommunity.com/id/anewticus/

I've never really been a fan of HL2:RP, and I've mostly only interacted with people from the previous SRP groups. I've heard (and noticed) that this server is a lot more roleplay focused, which is exciting to me. However, I've always had a distaste for HL2 schemas because of the tendency to be very exclusive with their roleplay. I'd like to get involved, but I'm not quite sure how to. I'm aware of the basics of Half-Life, but seemingly unfamiliar with a majority of the lore. TL;DR, I'm just looking for interesting roleplay.

I like unique characters who are written by people who try hard, or at all, not to have a generic black-or-white character. Otherwise, I'm not very picky.

I dislike roleplayers who have a tough time putting themselves in the shoes of their characters. It leads to either unimaginative or otherwise bland roleplay. I'm also not a fan of people who don't know how to lose. I feel like building a character to be this unstoppable fuck machine that can crush anything in his/her path causes characters to feel flat; more like npcs that people.

It's hard for me to recall a lot of things, since I haven't roleplayed in a little bit, so I'll probably update this if I remember anything.

e; Basically, I really want to be an active member of this community, but I'm absolute dogshit at making friends.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    #6 Newticus, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

Date:
    8/1/17
    Character:
    Wild Goose
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mmahsbdbsnshabdusha/
    Wild Goose is a character concept I brewed up a while back (Middle of 2016 I'd say?) as a mild attempt to bring more passive concepts to resistance RP outside of propaganda. His role within and between cells is that he's a mailman who takes letters from people that are aimed towards their family members, and Wild Goose goes to scout around to find out if they're still alive. And if they're still indeed alive, deliver said messages. It's a prominent theme in HL2 that families have been separated through transfers after transfer (not to mention the Graduate academies). Of course, it would be unfair to just run up to someone and handwave a letter from a relative of their character without the player's OOC approval, hence why I'm here to try and make some connections with people. Contact me on Steam or through forum PM if you'd be interested in this kind of encounter. You can be a rebel or a normal citizen, S1 or S2. It matters not.

I like it most when people care about carving a thorough and well paved story above all else. I don't mind when people make the occasional joke in LOOC, either as I get that for a lot of people TnB is a place for them to wind down. I also don't mind roleplaying with extremely new or generally inexperienced players who have just recently been exposed to serious roleplay. I'm very, very patient.

Outside of general roleplayer taboo, the one thing that agitates me above else is when people clearly don't want to be doing what they're doing in RP, and it shows in their writing like a sore thumb. I want people to be upfront with what they want and not wave off something that they might potentially not like and face the storm when they're clearly not enjoying themselves. It doesn't feel right calling it collaborative storytelling when only one person is having fun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #7 Mox, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  8. Benji Dooble

Contributor

United States
    i believe i took that spot for dalia mhm

9. Wizard

Contributor

United States
    For Dalia. Not my unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    RR Moderator

scumbo

anything, hmu and we can talk, i have a few characters id love to play again

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Massah DoomGuy

United States
    Date:
    10/8/17

Character:
    Chelsea Dixon
    Vanessa Swan 'Nessa'

Find it on my forum profile for now

Basically anything, but if you're going to do anything like taking my character hostage or something of that ilk that requires outside intervention don't try and keep it in Steam, give her a fair chance to be rescued

I like it when both people enjoy themselves, and when the story isn't stagnating. Those who know a Roleplay scene has gone on for too long are the best.

If it's immoral I'd prefer you didn't do it. If you really need that broken down add me on Steam and I'll go into detail. Mostly it's a case by case scenario even then.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Ashea

Ashea Member

United States
    Date:
    10:44... Uh, 8th of October Twenty-Seventeen.

Character:
    Emma Lavoie, Aharon Bensies, Cletus Donovan, CCA.C17-UNION.04.45020

find out ic

A good roleplay experience.
    Friends.
    Pretty much anything.

People who bend the (ic) rules to make rp more interesting (ex; taking a bribe, turning a blind eye, not being stuck up to FGC rules or CCA rules etc)
    When they enjoy themselves and make it enjoyable to others.
    When all their chars have different defining traits.
    VORTIGAUNTS!
    People who try and bring rp, while not standing in a corner, afking, waiting for it.
    Many other things.

People who hold OOC grudges for stuff done IC.
    People who'se characters are too exotic.
    Minge.
    People who aren't stuck up.
    When roleplayers make it incredebly hard to read their character's dialect. It's been 12 years, could you not /only/ speak in broken english? Goo' aftah' neen', wha's do we haft' hee'?
    People who don't try to make RP last long.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Anri

Anri Dark Soul
    HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    hey u guys while it's nice to have this thread coming back to the living, simply asking for "any" rp isnt really what this thread is meant for

the thread is for setting up situations that'd otherwise be rare if not downright impossible for whatever reason, such as someone wanting to rp a friendship that crosses the border of the overarching conflict (cca / rebel buddies), or wanting to explore a particular theme that wouldn't appear without a little guidance

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. Massah DoomGuy

United States

15. Clarkie Rubbs

Clarkie Rubbs cumhole

Hong Kong
    Date:
    10/13/2017

Character:
    Henry Gibson/Vincent Forelli

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jewishinsurgency/

Drug dealing, drug running, cooking, etc. Stuff along those lines. Ideally we could get a system that is believable, and actually functions without the need of pussy-ass script items (although they can be involved if need be). Certified cook operations, drug deals that are organised with runners and product (and can be stung by cops of course), hopefully even a few crooked cops looking to get their hands on what the Union can't give them in their shiny ration packets. I live in a dreamland where I could imagine a few dirty cops using performance enhancers and getting copious amounts of booze and cigarettes from their shaky relationships with resistance dealers, working with a few guys for some info on the inside too. I just want to introduce more cloak and dagger stuff in general, honestly.

Openness, flexibility and interest in expanding into uncomfortable territories e.g, addiction.
    As well as people who are willing to throw perfection and realism to the side when it benefits the fun or interest to the roleplay (nobody likes to be held down because they dont know the ins and outs of meth cooking, as long as it feels legitimate, and carries out the story, who cares if you accidentally used fuckin 100mg of pseudoephedrine instead of 65mg or some shit??) writing a fun story, with tales that make interesting anecdotes is my priority here.

People who stay by the book and aren't willing to take risks, being a stickler for "realism" and "believably", often makes roleplay monotonous and uninteresting.
    Taking things too seriously, and not knowing when to let their down and have a little fun.

Basically, I'd love to see the above mentioned stuff, dirty cops, dirty cooks, exchanges of info, etc. as well as the access of drugs in a realistic manner to the general populace. A link between the underground grit with the general city dwellers. I've also considered an interesting plot point if we were to actually go ahead with this and create some sort of narrative as well as drug dealing/cooking system, so hit me up on steam or PM me here if you want a lil spoiler.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Benji Dooble

Contributor

United States
    if your internet was up this summer we could've been perfect for eachother but uhhhh

yeah

17. Anri

Anri Dark Soul
    HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    Date:
    12th of October, 2017

Character:
    Kazuko Campbell

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/anri-actual/

i'd like to get kazuko into a friendship that shouldn't work; she's aligned with the resistance, but lives a double life. in particular, i'd like to get her into a friendship with a cca unit - one that, ideally, isn't on the brink of going rogue, but still capable of understanding that being with a group doesn't mean having to be fanatically loyal to it. ideally, i'd like them to eventually find out about eachother's secret live, perhaps either at the conclusion of their interaction(s) or as another milestone.
    i've had something similiar to this on another character and it was some of the most fun i've ever had in rp, but i fear i'm not going to find a situation like this dynamically anymore so i'd like to set it up instead. as for starting it, we could do something as simple as taking them and saying they've been assigned to the same apartment - boom, there's the basis for all future interactions.

- appropriate pacing (emote length based on the situation, i.e. shorter emotes when rping in groups, longer emotes during one-on-ones)
    - appropriate pacing (typing time in general)
    - characters that set themselves apart through who they are, not what they do / what they've done
    - characters with a healthy mix of strengths and weaknesses
    - characters that can deal with conflict (i.e. not shooting eachother over minor debates, or not cutting ties permanently after a disagreement)
    - dynamic characters; characters that aren't permanently behaving in the exact same way

- using the OOC chat more than the IC chat (i.e. constantly commenting or narrating IC situations OOC, even as they happen)
    - static characters that don't change, ever
    - dumb mindsets (i.e. "long emotes are good rp")
    - the expectation of being spoon-fed everything - a scenario like the one above only functions if both of us put some work into it
    - poor grammar / spelling (please punctuate your sentences and capitalize them at the start)

18. Benji Dooble

Contributor

United States
    if i was more active id say hmu but uhjjjhh

@Anri i mean it was serious but lol jokes okay

maybe i wont get active again bye then shit

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    #18 Benji Dooble, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  19. Wizard

Contributor

United States
    HMU. I'd be game for a somewhat dirty cop relationship and my other character Lillian is a drug user.

I've had a couple relationships like this on 08787 and they are always fun. Just shoot me a pm if I'm online or over discord.

:friendly:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    I play 876 and I’d be willing to organize something

• Friendly Friendly x 3