The future of homemade weapons for non-CCA characters

Kieck

poland can into space
Nov 2, 2014
Oh, I must ask, where did the topic of them doing it in the city come from? I don't see why they'd be making it in the city. Also, you must always test what you do from a far distance when experimenting with firearms, usually something heavy to hold your gun in place and a string wrapped around the trigger is good.
because the cities have shitty districts that the CP probably doesn't go into and because we have only one server right now

Hi, there are a lot of people who are enthusiastic about firearms would know how to reload their own ammunition, at that some people go another step and make their own casings for their ammunition. Would you like me to give you some videos on it, Levinx?
people are usually less enthusiastic about it when the penalty for owning or producing firearms illicitly is execution
believe me, I'm polish

Fastard

My Join Date is Backwards
Sep 1, 2011
Nah. Adding crafted guns is just asking for trouble admin wise, besides guns will come along in droves once the canals/outlands opens up. Farmhouses and unscoured attics with hunting shotguns and heirloom revolvers galore. Way easier to roleplay events for getting gunpowder and shit, considering hand loading rounds is easier than having a bunch of weird machine shop geniuses making perfectly functioning wooden AK's

Jeffrey the nicest guy

Jun 25, 2019
because the cities have shitty districts that the CP probably doesn't go into and because we have only one server right now

people are usually less enthusiastic about it when the penalty for owning or producing firearms illicitly is execution
believe me, I'm polish
That's okay friend, I'm just talking about how I've seen a lot of people who like it. I'm sorry that you would be executed for dabbling in it, I really, really am.

VeteranGary

May 25, 2016
we don't mean perfectly functioning automatic firearms, we mean this, or atleast I mean stuff like this View attachment 7178
Decent ideas, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a waste of time for now. Guns are getting more involved for the CCA, and it's only a matter of time before the criminal gangs start getting them into circulation. It'd be neat to see scrap-style guns, even stuff like home-made poaching rifles, but it doesn't exactly fit the environment we're in. We're in a center of a city belonging to one of the pre-war super nations or whatever, so weaponry will be more common at some point. It'd kinda make more sense if our city was based in a more poverished area, but then again I doubt the Union bothered claiming an area which is very low in useful resources.

I mean, sure. They'll be fine for RP-wise items, not fully scripted. Ammo being extremely hard to come by, since it'll have to be handmade, or found. And maybe a high chance of failing. Doubt anyone will take the effort to make these, or they'll just ruin it by attempting to pump out endless lines of shitstols.

Foxicus

Mar 6, 2018
No? Not necessarily, no. It might not stop a shotgun slug I guess, but who's just going to leave that lying around? Zip guns are usually in small pistol calibers too.
you underestimate the power of a shotgun shell. metro cop armor is shitty, and mainly meant for stab protection - not ballistic, as there's no reason to manufacture ballistic armor when the threats you're dealing with don't even use guns. i think...that was mentioned somewhere on another post, i forget tbh.

so, yeah a pipe shotgun would blow through that.

VeteranGary

May 25, 2016
you underestimate the power of a shotgun shell. metro cop armor is shitty, and mainly meant for stab protection - not ballistic, as there's no reason to manufacture ballistic armor when the threats you're dealing with don't even use guns. i think...that was mentioned somewhere on another post, i forget tbh.

fortunately cp vests arent designed for knife attacks, otherwise they'd cover the stomach which is a gangster favorite to shove their 11" ka-bar tactical combat blade into. they are designed for bullets, but only pistol bullets, up to around .45 ish caliber. sure they'd stop a knife if someone really wanted to stab your thorax, rather than your unprotected stomach.

thing is, ballistics is a really complicated subject, for some people. some people don't understand that when you get hit by a bullet, you're slowing something down that is breaking the sound barrier in less then a second, or its going to pass through your body in less than a second. lot of energy going seemingly 'nowhere' for most roleplayers.

as for the shotgun, i'm pretty sure slugs/buckshot move pretty slow, so they won't penetrate the vest, but they'll surely shred it apart, break some ribs, and probably explode on impact, sending fragments of metal in the general area, including back into the user likely.

also, in most cases one bullet isn't enough, in the case a pistol round or maybe a certain rifle caliber. humans are weird, sometimes they can take dozens of rounds and still run around screaming, sometimes not. but that's too realistic for epic roleplay.

that's my rant about ballistics, sorry.

tl;dr ballistics arent roleplayed correctly, hopefully that changes if we execute shit correctly.

also this is sorta de-railing of the main subject but yea. originally planned to just say cop armor isn't necessarily stab-vests, since it doesn't cover the #1 stab spot.

Foxicus

Mar 6, 2018
as for the shotgun, i'm pretty sure slugs/buckshot move pretty slow, so they won't penetrate the vest,
slugs are supersonic and can easily blow through NIJ II, IIA, and even some III armor vests, depending on the manufacturer and the type of material - plate vs. soft body.
but, buckshot is different - it's like flechette. because the pellets are dispersed and don't pack their mass cumulatively, they aren't as effective. out of the muzzle, buckshot is still supersonic (at least 00 buckshot out of a say...16 inch smoothbore) yet, at target, is much slower. there's so many variables that i could ramble on and on and get even further off topic, but anyhow...

tl;dr - slugs can easily beat armor (depending) but buckshot definitely not so much

also, in most cases one bullet isn't enough, in the case a pistol round or maybe a certain rifle caliber. humans are weird, sometimes they can take dozens of rounds and still run around screaming, sometimes not. but that's too realistic for epic roleplay.
very true. for example, the 5.56x45 was meant to cause cardiopulmonary collapse within the first round, which it typically does. most people pass it off as a wimpy round.

originally planned to just say cop armor isn't necessarily stab-vests, since it doesn't cover the #1 stab spot.
i think this is more of a limitation on the models themselves, mayhaps. i don't think any of the official posts from the admins state the protection level of CP armor; but if i'm a giant alien super mega conglomerate that is presiding over a resource world, i'm psure i'd just give my nigh worthless beat cops the lowest form of protection needed to get the job done. BUT, i don't know. i'm not a giant alien super...you get it.

blooregardo

padre gringo
Jun 20, 2011

i own a pair of 12 gauges, i know that shotguns are powerful. but shotguns have a far more wide variety of ammunition types; i was bringing up slugs vs other types of shells and the logistics of handloading is because ammo is the variable here, not guns. ammo will likely be hard to obtain in the city, whether you make it or acquire it by other means.

you make a good point about stab vests. last iteration most people treated them like ballistic vests and I haven't played much this iteration, so i was taking that for granted. I don't know if a stab vest could hold up against birdshot, much less something common like buckshot.

Polioman

Mar 14, 2018
Aren't melee weapons just easier too explain and also make ic? It would workout without the ordeal of making a gun with gun powder and all that.

Desrat456

Sep 22, 2012
I hand craft my wheellock pistol, setting its sights upon the closest CP. I miss, but the shot goes through two walls, 3 COTA, and hits the SEC, instantly freeing the city.

Robe

some fucking pog fuck
Sep 30, 2012
why fix what ain't broke? plenty of old designs for characters to get a hold of that are relatively simple, not too mention undiscovered caches of weapons that are almost assuredly guerrilla related at this point. sten, sterling, klashnikovs, grease gun, pps and ppsh, tokarevs, makarovs, mosins, kar98s, etc... so many choices, so little time.

Jeffrey the nicest guy

Jun 25, 2019
You have a point Robe. I can just imagine that some of my gun's parts are homemade, or that I have a homemade simple pistol, stuff like that.
Should I delete the thread?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)