The Etiquette of Terminator Role Play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kiwi, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Senior Member

United States
    Disclaimer: None of this guide is officially endorsed by the Terminator RP or Taco N' Banana staff . Take everything said here with salt.

What is Taco N Banana Terminator Serious Role Play?

Taco N banana is a community of writers and good people, here to have a good time. That being said, there are certain rules that apply to make sure everyone has as best an experience as possible. You are welcome here no matter what, as long as you are willing to learn and grow. This is a serious role play server. This means that you are expected to act in character for most of your stay. To clarify, this is not in any way related to the DarkRP gamemode. Write an enthralling story, create complex and fun characters, and build upon each other's ideas.

Terminology

On terminator role play, there are a number of terms and words that may confuse new players at first. The following are some of the more commonly used terms.

PK: Perma-kill. Being permakilled means you can no longer play on your character ever again.
    TK: Temporary-kill. Temporary-kill means that you may not play on that character for a certain length of time.
    Script: Scripts are items that you can pick up and use. You can identify scripts by the white text that shows up above them. They will always have a name, separated by a hyphen or dash, then a weight.
    Minge: A player on the server who does not intent to follow the rules and role play, instead there to ruin the experience for other players for their own pleasure.
    RP: Role Play.
    OOC: Out Of Character. When you are OOC, it means you are not playing as your character, rather doing an activity that wouldn't take place within the real world like building. When something is OOC, it means that you should ignore it if you are IC.
    IC: In Character. Being in character means you are acting or pretending to be your character. The actions and things you say are all things your character does and says. Do not do anything you couldn't do in real life when IC, such as building with the physgun.
    Void: When something is voided, it means that it never took place IC. For example, if somebody accidental clicks their mouse, shooting their gun, they may tell people to void the gunshots, or pretend like they did not happen.

Usage of Grammar

Because many interactions on the server are done through text, it is important to have a good understanding of the English language. A simple rule of thumb, you should always capitalize the first word of every sentence, key words in titles, the word I, the first letter of proper nouns and so forth. You should also end each sentence with some sort of punctuation. If your character has an accent you would like to convey, don't be afraid to spell certain words how they would pronounce them. Following these simple rules will earn you respect and trust.

Character Creation

Your character is a product of your imagination. Make them into whatever you want them to be, within reason. A good place to start is the creation of a realistic name. While many cultures have exotic sounding names, complete gibberish like "Pbitf Fjklyif" does not usually pass as a reasonable thing to call yourself. Your name is the first thing people see, and first impressions matter. Remember to capitalize the first letter of your first and last name. Many players choose to give their characters nicknames. This is absolutely alright, however there is a semi-standard way many go about it. For example, if my character's name was Joel Smith, and his nickname was Chip, then the format would be; Joel 'Chip' Smith.

Your description tells other people vital information about your character, such as the way they look, sound, and the things they wear or hold. The first few words of your description will be visible over your head at all times. Often people choose to state one or two important things in this first line like an accent or major injury. As common sense, thoughts and other things players can not see simply by looking at you should usually be kept out of the description.

Combat

There are three primary types of fighting on the server. Shoot to kill, Shoot to miss, and Shoot to RP. These are almost always abbreviated to S2K, S2M, and S2RP. S2K means that you will try and kill your opponent by attacking them using a weapon. This is the most common form of combat on Terminator Role Play, and should be used in large groups. Do not S2K other humans unless given express permission by staff. S2M means you will shoot near your target, but miss them on purpose so as to create cinematic effect without actually killing anyone. All terminators will do this unless you are either very close to them, acting without fear, or they are ordered to by the staff team.

S2RP is the most complex of the three. Instead of simply using weapons, you engage by typing out your actions in the form of a /me or /it. This should only be used in small groups, as it can become chaotic and lengthy otherwise. Please keep your actions within reason. Typing "/me punches the T-600 in the face, causing it to explode." is unrealistic, and considered powergaming. Powergaming is where you take control of a situation without allowing other players a chance to react or counter your actions. You can read more about this here: https://www.taconbanana.com/threads/etiquette-combat-emotes-and-timescale.27542/ You may see some people S2M after typing an action where they shoot a weapon. This is perfectly alright, as long as you make sure to miss.

Terminators and You

Bravery is often described as having no fear. This is simply untrue. Instead, it is having the courage to face your fears. Charging at a terminator with your bare fists is not bravery, it is idiocy, and will see you killed in an instant. As an unspoken rule, your human character should try to avoid contact with terminators at all cost, especially trying to avoid combat. When it comes to stealth, the players acting as terminators will be very lenient. This does not however mean that crouching in the middle of the road makes you invisible. In certain cases you may want to lead a terminator away from someplace or someone. To do this, you should generally attack and retreat in the direction you want them to follow you, not try to outright destroy them in the process. On another note, entering the SkyNET base is usually a strict "no", unless you are participating in an event. You will never find weapons or items inside, and realistically any SkyNET installation would be heavily guarded.

Mugging and Crime

These two actions are not specifically forbidden, but there are certain rules concerning them both. In the case of mugging, holding a player at gunpoint and demanding they give you their weapons and items or be killed is simply not allowed. Mugging people for non-script items is almost always the way to go, for example trying to steal a can of peaches that one person has. If the person being mugged understands and consents to the removal of their scripts/items, by all means take them, but this is a rare occurrence. Keep in mind that playing the bad guy automatically puts you at a disadvantage. This server is set up so that the good guys will win the majority of the time, and you as a criminal are no exception. Most of your attempts will either end in death or imprisonment, especially if they are carried out in crowded spaces or against heavily armed and armored individuals.

Looting

Looting and scavenging are two primary ways that you obtain items or scripts. In the case of scavenging, you simply need to search around the map to find items, and pick them up with your "use" key. Keep in mind that guns and armor are rare, and the staff team places each item by hand. The chance of you finding extremely powerful equipment like machine-guns and rocket-launchers is next to nothing. Looting is the act of writing a /me after killing an enemy in S2RP or searching something during an event. Keep in mind that both of these only apply when a staff member is present and willing to acknowledge your actions. For example, terminator units killed in S2K will never drop their weapons, and will almost never do so in S2RP.

I may very well add more to this guide later.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #1 Kiwi, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Enraged

Enraged Sorry, You Need Auths For That
    Contributor

United States
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    this is pretty great, yeah
    i'm not gonna pin it bc thats up to trp admins but i'd highly recommend getting in touch with them to see if u can get this pinned

if you want to make it wholesome(tm), add a section explaining the difference between ic and ooc (or pointing out that this is a serious rp server) as people often connect thinking trp is just a themed darkrp mod

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AftershocK

AftershocK Zealot
    TRP Admin

United Kingdom
    Pinned - Good Stuff

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Mr Bagel

Mr Bagel Guest

**Several script losing dramatic moments later....** Oh....Oh there's a guide now? I could've fancied this earlier.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. hawkeye

hawkeye Zealot
    TRP Admin

United States
    I'll point some new players in this direction, thanks man

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. UncleanNurgle

UncleanNurgle New Blood

United States
    I don't like the mugging one, sets up the situation to easily lead to unrealistic scenarios where you will mug someone for peaches and they will later have their script and kill you or take them back.

Just like when a character is captured by Drones, it should be a similar situation with Bandits, you'll probably lose the scripts you have equipped, especially weapons. Why would a Bandit /not/ disarm you?

In fact that entire mugging section is pretty silly, basically it says don't mug people. If I had to sum it up realistically, I understand the pretense that the server is about good guys, but Bandits are not Drones, and beyond that they're not a faction in of themselves, I think Bandits should be allowed to operate much more freely than Skynet unless you want applications for bandit factions etc.

If you're going to hold Bandits to the same restrictions as Drones, they deserve the benefits thereof, being given weapons, not dropping any of their scripts, management, all of that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    #7 UncleanNurgle, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. hawkeye

hawkeye Zealot
    TRP Admin

United States
    Note that this guide, while good nonetheless, is not the official admin stance on the rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. UncleanNurgle

UncleanNurgle New Blood

United States
    I agree with the rest of the guide don't get me wrong, but like I said, if you're going to treat bandits like Skynet, they deserve all the boons that come with that. Admin management, applications, strict usage, etc.

I noticed someone disagreed but they never said why, so there's that. I'll change my stance if someone could explain why Bandits should put themselves at such a massive disadvantage if they're also being played by regular players who have to spend time finding loot and developing their characters just like the rest.

10. Rabid

IDIOTS

Outside of a few exceptions, most bandits that aren't staff-characters are done for OOC script-greed. They're not well-recieved at all for that reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Scone !

Scone ! I am not a bot
    RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    There is a distinct difference between one type of bandit and another, the type this guide covers and then the type you're instead thinking of, which is leading to this disconnect.

Historically on most gmod rp servers, particularly TnB, bandits exist to serve a niche role of short lived generic baddies. They're fundamentally no different from event characters or SkyNet because their entire reason to be is to serve some sort of narrative. They aren't characters. They don't get treated like characters, so it's a go to assumption for the latter case up next.

The other kind, the kind this guide isn't really referring to at all, are the actual player characters who end up in banditry related activities. They're there as actual characters with drives and narratives of their own, but that by no means will let everyone else know, or stop them from dogpiling like any regular bandit.

The guide's not saying you have to lose if you try be an antagonist, it's a warning that you're going to lose anyway when you incite the wrath of 60+ Tech Com members with plasma guns.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. UncleanNurgle

UncleanNurgle New Blood

United States
    That's why I said what I said in that case.

If it's an event character then it deserves the same liberties that other event characters recieve.

And if someone becomes a Bandit by narrative, then I believe they have the same right to play to win as any other character, I already understand the dogpile effect, I can't imagine who wouldn't, I never said that Bandits should be protected from such activity.

I would disagree with the idea that Bandits are traditionally event characters, perhaps in TnB but, everywhere else it's not uncommon for a group of players to create a gang and resort to criminal activity. Mug players, and stir tension, in fact it's fairly important to have developed Bandit characters, because of how much they contribute to keeping the day to day from becoming a stale repeat.