1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Blue Coats

Discussion in 'Playerbased Groups' started by GingieBreadBoy, Apr 21, 2017.

1. GingieBreadBoy

GingieBreadBoy Senior Member

United States
    // Basic Idea: This groups sole purpose is improving the lives of C17 citizens. Both peacefully by running approved events like food drives, getting clothes to those in need, ect (salvation army type stuff) and also not so peacefully, which will come as the group develops. i.e. Smuggling people out of the city, hiding people who may have acted out of line, but we believe were in the right.

Now I know what you are thinking, "Great another, shitty rebel group that's going to hardcore shot cop." Nope, that's not what I want out of this group. I want this to be a real humanitarian type group. Where we genuinely try to make life a bit easier for those that need help. Don't get me wrong I want confrontation with the Union and even possibly some confrontation with "Rebels".

Why the Blue Coats?: Simply put, we are all issued blue city 17 jackets. We are citizens helping citizens.

Basic Ideology: "Give a man a fish, and he will live for a day and die in a week. Teach a man to fish, he'll stay out of trouble in the day and survive much longer." Essentially we want to help citizens. And want the citizens we help, to in turn do the same.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    #1 GingieBreadBoy, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Jackieee

Jackieee Member

United States
    I am very interested in this group and I'd like to add on a couple of questions
    1. Would they have some sort of meeting place?
    2. How large do you intend this group to be?
    3. Would anyone be allowed or would there be some sort of initiation or interview?
    I'm very curious and interested in this idea. Please continue forth.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Rabid

HL2 Admin

We need more S1-focussed groups honestly. As I said elsewhere, I support this concept.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. A Wizard

Contributor

United States
    A great idea. Holding food drives and all to help others. A place folks could turn to.

I really love this and I'd be willing to help out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. AlbinoGlowStick

AlbinoGlowStick CCA.C17-KOBRA.SqL.85900

United States
    Running a group like that will be hard at times, but as rabid said an active resistance presence in S1 that's not so shooty shooty is exactly what the server needs.

I won't be able to join, but I'd love to see this group become a reality.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. popo

popo Zealot

United States
    This seems like an amalgam between the methods of the clandestine city resistance, and the ideals of the outlands resistance. Sounds good on paper, just be smart about it.

7. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    1. Yes. For sure would have a formal meeting place. Secondly, as the group grows and become more "Rebel type" there can be off the grid meet ups and stuff.
    2.Really depends on how the server takes it. I want the group to be kinda popular, but the resistance side of things significantly smaller.
    3. Haven't worked it out yet. Sure, there will be some screening before you become a trusted member, but I think most could join. Again Work in progress.

8. WalrusOverlord

WalrusOverlord Senior Member

United States
    the more s1 resistance presence the better. ive especially longed for a more humanitarian group anyways. the constant 'big tough rough gruff thugs against cops' concept thats commonly seen bores me to unspeakable ends.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  9. pira

pira TnB's Most Wanted

United States
    There is no big tough rough gruff thugs against cops group??? What are you talking about?

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. Captain!

Captain! a sentient cinnamon roll
    HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    [​IMG]

i really need to get the blueys up and running again since the concept faded with the general resistance becoming more and more reasonable...
    you said you'd have trouble linking your group with s2? add me on sf, i'm seeing some fun rp in the future

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #10 Captain!, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  11. WalrusOverlord

WalrusOverlord Senior Member

United States
    i didnt mean any group in specific, but the majority of any sort of resistance presence on s1 ive seen are all pretty much borderline criminals and tough guys with guns, which is okay, but this is new and refreshing.

perhaps theres more humanitarian groups on s2(?), but id have no idea because im not a fan of that server,.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1
  12. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    I was def planning on a blue armband actually. And I added you on Steam.

13. ClearlyInvsible

ClearlyInvsible Senior Member

United States
    Huh. I like this idea.

Props to you for this, you could even expand it to beyond just providing food and healthcare.

14. Jon

Jon Zealot

United Kingdom
    Hit me up, I'd be interested in helping with this. A humanitarian type of group trying to operate under the Union's nose sounds like fun, as opposed to simply shift+wing to s2 because all the other rebels are there

15. Dop

Dop Member

United States
    I'm interested.

16. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    I am in server now, so look for me :)

17. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    So just an update, but if you are looking for where to find The Blue Coats signs around town would read "Look for the Blue Coats HQ across from the ration center."

18. Chocolate

Chocolate Legend

Canada
    I like this

I like this because it resists in a different way. For some reason we have this preconceived notion that resistance is plinking cota or breaking into union facilities and nothing else.

Just as Julia never planned on inciting riots and blowing up caf├ęs in 1984, this is an example of resisting through ideology. It's removing the combine's weapon of isolation, and that's great.

Don't let us down, lads.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Captain!

HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    we don't, actually

it's just that any humanitarian aid stuff the resistance does is either so low-key that nobody really knows about it (because surprise, surprise - making a big deal out of it is how you get caught), or it never gets to people that actually rp it (ie minges just find the tampered rations and entirely ignore the papers, or they simply shrug it off and dont feel like its something noteworthy, or they dont hesitate at all when someone starts talking smack about the union because I AM A Rebel That Must Resist Right Now At All Times), or it's just so downright boring and fruitless due to a combination of the above that people lose motivation.

the generic action heroes aren't the resistance. i'm getting tired of saying it.

e;
    this is the equivalent of people saying the cca is 100% play-to-win non-character robocops that only exist to satisfy the edgy needs of teenagers. it surely applies in some cases, but the large majority plays actual characters.
    come on. you guys don't play on s2. you have no idea what you're on about.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #19 Captain!, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  20. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    Please feel free to add ideas on ways we can help citizens so I can brainstorm ways to make this group that much better.

Also I need ideas on what we can use to identify ourselves. I.e. A blue arm band or something.

21. Captain!

HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    since this is gonna be a city ops group, do you really think identification like that is a good idea? the whole point of blending in is, well... blending in, duh. if the group reaches a scale where you cannot identify eachother through other means (such as by looks), you're doing something wrong because that's when it'll fall apart, too.

i also can't really recommend leaving signs pointing people to their HQ all around - that'll get the union straight to your doorstep. it sucks to say it like this, but you're doing it wrong if people end up knowing about it. the idea of city ops isn't publicity, but effect; not everything will be recognized publicly and even less will be thanked for by anyone - but that's the price of resisting.

more advice; recruitment - don't do "interviews" or anything of that sort. someone's either in or they're not - if you tell someone about it, they're in, because they are now capable of screwing you over as much as you're capable of screwing them over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble diamond in the rough

United States
    dont do blue armbands, just denim jackets

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    @Captain! I really appreciate the advice, and it makes a lot of sense.

24. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    Alright so some people have brought up a good point and I need help deciding what to do.

If The Blue Coats (TBC) is played as a soup kitchen/humanitarian aid group. and is simply a "front" (so to speak) for a more "not so loyal group". Should we technically advertise our location? Hold interviews? Remain in the public's eye? Many points have been made to say that this would bring a lot of scrutiny from the Union and lead to a lot of eyes watching us or even get us shut down. If we are to run it this way I need ideas on how to do so without it instantly going to shit.

Secondly, if (TBC) is run more secretly, where citizens may have just heard rumors of our organization and had some sort of way to contact us when in need of help I think that would be a cool way, not to mention the correct way to play the group. This would allow, citizens the chance to resist the Union and look for other ways to survive, without raising to much attention. It would allow the "rebels" to help or counteract (which would be a super dick move) our group, and if the Union picked up enough clues, allow them to maybe start investigating the group.

All-in-all I think choice two seems more fun, not to mention more feasible. But, please drop suggestions and what you think.

25. djunkie

djunkie Senior Member

Canada
    Tbh at this point I've been doing city ops for a while now (tho I haven't been on top of it lately), so I'd honestly just say make a few friends, work quietly, then decide the rest ic. When you're in the city, you're in enemy territory so the idea is generally to dtaw as little attention to yourself as possible. Running a front can also be really cool and it's something we've done before, but it requires lots of dedication and time. Overall I've found the most interesting pathway is often found icly. Make decisions and changes based off the ic situation. OOC communication is always important and it's great to have an ooc baseline to work off of, but don't over think it.

You won't be the only rebels in the city either.

• Agree Agree x 4
    #25 djunkie, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  26. Rabid

HL2 Admin

People think that there's no rebel activity in the city because they're not running around killing cops - but the truth is they're doing stuff daily, whenever there's S1 pop to do it. Don't get discouraged if you don't find people right away - that means they're being smart about it.

Also; if you run a front you can do it, so long as you keep it squeaky clean. Socio won't bother a random store that's just feeding people all that much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Benji Dooble

United States
    stoo exposing us rabid u crupt crabmine

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. AlbinoGlowStick

AlbinoGlowStick CCA.C17-KOBRA.SqL.85900

United States
    There's really no correct way to play city resistance, and how you want to do it is up to you. I personally have always prefered rping in "loyal" business fronts since you generally have an easier time interacting with other characters and getting a good introduction to basic resistance RP. Given this will be more dangerous as you have to put up the illusion of loyalty to the union and you won't be able to trust all of your employees/customers with the true inner workings of your group. You can still run advertisements and do interviews, but that would just be for your business front and not your resistance cell. For the cell you'd have to induct people secretly who you deem IC to be worthy of your cause and won't fuck ur shit up.

Having run a City Operations group I will say the second one is an easier and safer way to run the group safely, but it's a bit harder at times to personally interact with other characters or get other people involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Benji Dooble

United States
    lazlo boyd is the best resistance spy

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  30. djunkie

djunkie Senior Member

Canada
    U just exposed urself benji idiot

31. Benji Dooble

United States
    THEY ALREADY KNEW ITS ALL APART OF THE PLAN SHHHHHHH

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  32. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    Alright guys,

I am about to start this group up, as I have just about finished up the planning for the group. If you are interested in possibly joining please add me on steam so we can chat some OOC type stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mewtooa1/

33. GingieBreadBoy

United States
    Alright Everybody, I am pleased to announce I have finally got all my duck in a row and am ready to launch this group. If you are really interested or have any questions add me on steam and let me know.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mewtooa1/

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  34. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    Honestly yeah, if you're doing a front make it a business - like a shop or restraunt - that would benefit the intended purpose of your group. I feel that having the shadowing group behind the mask that is the useful store is a proper way.

People who know about it could ask your lady at the counter for "the royale with cheese" and be brought to your secret rebel hideout.

But seriously this looks pretty cool, just decide carefully if you want a front or a secretive underground railroad type thing cause they both require some careful OOC and IC orchestration so going with whichever suits your vision the best is usually the best