The 44th Armed Task Unit

Discussion in 'Playerbased Groups' started by Newticus, May 13, 2018.

1. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    IDIOTS Contributor

United States
    [​IMG]
    The 44th Armed Task Unit

The 44th ATU is an admin-authorized combatant group. This group consists of persistent characters whose writers are hand-chosen to make a character inside the group. There are no expendable event characters for this group. Everyone who dies is a real character with real development, and the hope is that this is enough to raise the quality of roleplay in TRP for those who desire it. The basic rules for roleplaying as a member of The 44th will go as follows:
    • All roleplayed deaths are permanent. There will be no NLRs, save for circumstances where something obscene happens.
    • All combat encounters that the 44th engage in will be roleplay, with only a few exceptions. The basis of this group is to raise the quality of RP, and we cannot do that with S2K.
    • The 44th will not play to lose like Skynet does unless specifically stated. Impactful roleplay only comes from a scenario that has real risks.
    • At the start, all 44th encounters will be approved by Newticus or someone he has authorized.
    The 44th ATU was founded by a Second Lieutenant in the pre-war United States Army by the name of Sean Bradshaw. He commanded a small company of men, two platoons totaling to about sixty soldiers, before and during Judgement Day. Lieutenant Bradshaw was out overseeing his company on a field training exercise when shit went south. It wasn’t the bombs that let them know that the world was being flushed; they weren’t that lucky. When they returned to their facility, the automated defenses started to shriek and activate. The very machines that were supposed to defend their installation started to cut them down, and the Lieutenant gave the order for them to abandon their post. If anyone was inside still fighting against the machines, then they were now on their own. Bradshaw took his men that survived, just less than half, and vanished to lick their wounds.

After a year or two of laying low in whatever hole they could crawl into, the guilt of not doing anything slowly ate away at each and every surviving member of the company until they couldn’t resist the urge to pick up arms once again. The 44th Armed Task Unit was born of the the ashes of the 184th Infantry Regiment, and they changed up their rules of engagement. They never had the manpower or firepower to go toe to toe with Skynet, but they never needed to. They split themselves up into small recon groups that insert into communities and focus on assisting non-combatants in need. When necessary to engage with Skynet drones, they take full advantage of guerilla tactics to accomplish their goals. Whether it’s ambushes or hit-and-run operations, they’re quick, quiet, and careful. Their ranks consist of surviving members of the 184th and non-military personnel who have been trained in combat procedures by those who still retain the knowledge of the old world. They maintain the United States Army rank format, which separates themselves from Tech-Com.

Character
    OOC
    SFC. Cassidy Flynn Newticus
    CPL. Cameron Finch Mox
    CPL. Sydney Wright nec
    SPC. Rebekah Burns Bungo
    SPC. Steven Carr-Montgomery Snuggles
    SPC. Angel Price joystick jihad
    PV2. Meagan Hudson kingryan
    PVT. Robert Moorman Robe
    PVT. Howard Bennett valerstein
    PVT. Charlie Huckstead Kiwi

• Winner Winner x 15
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #1 Newticus, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 6:50 AM
  2. gabriel

gabriel Senior Member

Philippines
  3. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    IDIOTS

United States
    will this group grow with more players?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    IDIOTS Contributor

United States
    This roster is not permanent, no. I intend to bring in a few more people because not everyone is active during the same hours or wants to play their character all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Hart100

Hart100 Member

United States
    One thing I'm a touch curious about is "will not play to lose like SkyNet."

By the look of it; no one plays to lose like SkyNet. How do you figure this will enhance the image of desperation the collective resistance has? As it stands, there is no reason to really fear the faction as a whole. We are seriously toned down in the interest of keeping things somewhat light for people and our only victories tend to be a result of an administrator typing a /EV detailing TC as hauling ass. But it doesn't feel genuine.

Now I understand why the resistance wins often, I do. They have real characters to develop and SkyNet is merely an asset utilized to create an array of roleplay scenarios and conflict with depth. But loss can still produce a takeaway for characters, it can lead to positive development just as well if not more then constantly coming out at the top.

I'm not really in the habit of casting premature judgements on things before they're enacted or have had time to be put into action. That said, I'm probably missing the focus here, but I genuinely don't know how it's intended to use this group to raise roleplay quality. Could you please shed some light?

Sorry for droning.

The sky is the limit for roleplay potential.

Net the results you want to see.

I hope we can terminate these issues.

I'll be back to check this thread.

Hasta la vista.

#5 Hart100, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. kingryan

kingryan Zealot

United States
    Please condense your question, you start going into Skynet, and that completely warps my understanding of what you're trying to get across to us.

What we(or, what I think it means, because I'm not speaking for the other members,) is that this faction isn't just a bunch of event characters Tech Comm can have an easy event that kills them all and takes their stuff(provided TC and this faction ever come to odds.)

7. Drewerth

Drewerth nothing stops MY roleplay

United States
    I think he means that, in conflict, they're not going to play-to-lose against Tech-Com or other human groups.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hart100

Hart100 Member

United States
    Ah okay. I wasn't aware of this being an opposition group towards TC, hence why I reserved judgement and was a touch confused.

It seems at first glance like an elite group of warfighters separate from TC that utilize more hit and run tactics against Skynet.

But how does this group raise quality for the server?

9. Drewerth

Drewerth nothing stops MY roleplay

United States
    It's just another group, doesn't necessarily mean friendly to Tech-Com or not. Just yesterday we invited them into base for a psuedo-inpromptu meeting because Tech-Com made a threat against them two days ago.

It's conflict, doesn't mean we shoot each other.

10. kingryan

kingryan Zealot

United States
    If you want the most reliable answers, ask the leader.

11. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    IDIOTS Contributor

United States
    Sorry, I'm in the process of moving houses, so replies are going to be a bit slow.
    I wrote this not to explain my intentions, but to give a few small guidelines for the people in the group. I wrote this line,
    with the intention of preparing for every possible situation. It's better to be preemptive than reactive.
    Hope that helped.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

This is cool in theory but I hope this group's sole purpose isn't just "to raise the quality of roleplay on TRP" as that seems rather bare bones. This post has explained nothing as to what this group actually is in the setting (inb4 "find out IC") and only explained that you want to do quality ronjlays and explained how you're different from Tech-Com.

I'm not saying its a bad idea as it would be nice to see something akin to this on server, but I'm just saying that I hope you have more to it than your OOC mission.

edit: Spoiler tab, I'm retarded?

Still, I hope that you achieve what you're attempting to do OOC without just making that the one-trick of this group.

• Bad Reading Bad Reading x 4
    #12 Mox, May 13, 2018
  13. K33f3!

K33f3! Leave me alone

United States
    Because it's not an overtly complicated concept, Moxxy. Creating persistent groups to fill out the world, layers roleplay beyond the back and forth slug fest between 132nd SOC and SkyNET. Tech-comm is meant to be the hot shit of the Resistance, John Connor's black sheep cell of misfits and crazies. Exploring that aspect of it requires other human groups that can respond to Tech-comm's actions. Narratively, if TC goes around pissing in people's cornflakes, there has to be a negative response. There has already been maltreatment of refugees and survivalists on that end. On the other end, this also gives them a chance to try their hand at diplomacy, co-operation with an element outside of themselves.

A simple concept, well-rehearsed, and neatly presented; leads to the cleanest performance.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

I absolutely agree- It was more of a blanket concern in regards to how the presented thread was very headstrong with the OOC bits and I didn't even notice the tab regarding their IC place in the setting (which cleared up quite a bit once I actually saw it)

Not that I doubt Newticus' ability to execute something like this, my concerned only resided in the way the thread was initially presented and at first glance it felt like it was somewhat bottom-heavy on its OOC status rather than its IC role in the setting. That of course, wasn't the case.

Reading through the background of this group I like the idea of it, and as you said Robe (KEEFE ffs mox ur a mess) this gives the opportunity for TC to have to cooperate with other static groups in the setting.

#14 Mox, May 13, 2018
  15. K33f3!

K33f3! Leave me alone

United States
    I'm Keefe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

And I'm not entirely awake.

17. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    IDIOTS Contributor

United States
    Right, I just got moved in.
    @Mox
    This thread is literally just a copy and paste of my authorization request with a few paragraphs removed and a roster tacked on. It's vague on purpose. I took out any stuff that explains what their overarching purpose is.
    I'd rather their reputation build organically, and I don't want people to interact with this group with any preconceived notion of what they stand for. Part of the fun of new groups is finding out what they believe in and how they operate. I've got a briefcase full of plot that I want to push, but if I told you what it was that'd kill it.
    I'd much rather have you guys think that this is a vapid attempt at tacking a pretty rank next to my name than spoil my stuff.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

That's totally fair. Again it was only an initial concern I had.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

So what has become of this? I haven't seen it on server at all- was curious if this was still a thing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thinking Thinking x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    IDIOTS Contributor

United States
    Sorry, been going through a lot recently and decided that I was better off getting my mind in the right spot and start being a better person before making a proper attempt.
    I'm open to slapping names on the roster here for when I pick it back up so if you're actually interested hit me w/ a pm and I'll write your name down.

Sorry guys, this summer has been rough lmao

• Friendly Friendly x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    IDIOTS Contributor

United States
    That being said, the following changes are in order:

• Players no longer interested in the setting have been mostly removed/put on ELOA.

REINFORCED FROM MODESTO
    PVT. Howard Bennett valerstein
    PVT. Charlie Huckstead Kiwi
    CPL. Cameron Finch Mox

• Winner Winner x 1
    #21 Newticus, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:21 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 6:19 PM
  22. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    IDIOTS Contributor

United States
    REINFORCED FROM MODESTO