1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tekka - Backstory, Lore and Canon Discussion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Davebrown, Dec 19, 2016.

1. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    HL2 Admin

United States
    don't care make it happen

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Seph491

Seph491 New Blood

United States
    May I suggest Belltower Associates?

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
  3. Mother

Mother Commander of the GAR

United States
    From what I understand, Tekka's going to have a very SRP-ish approach to playerbased groups, so I'd expect to see a fair few merc/PMC groups popping up. Whether or not they last is another thing entirely. Either way, I'd rather not see a bunch of rips from various games (Belltower being from Deus Ex).

bloo go back on loa we don't want your ilk here

4. Krax

Krax krax is a fucking snake

United Kingdom
    Excitement levels are rising.

I wrote a whole Google doc about lore a couple years back - I'll see if I can find it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

Well now that the Tekka forum is alive, this should proooobably be moved to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mother

United States
    truly a victory for the tekkacyberpunkRP subcommunity at the illustrious taco and banana role play community.

Seriously, if development wasn't as slow as it is, having a dedicated subforum would do wonders for organization. Better than having a single superthread for everything, in any case.

7. ClearlyInvsible

ClearlyInvsible Senior Member

United States
    ...Is anyone gonna start threads in that forum? Or are we gonna wait for Dave to ask more questions?

8. valerstein

valerstein brotherman randy

is there gonna be a 3rd scl team for tekka? i mean scl is subcommunity leader...

bennet shall reign all if something called RDA returns....

e: OH NO RDA RETURNED

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #248 valerstein, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Mother

United States
    right now its just the news and announcements. so unless a dev/someone with that sort of forum access decides to give a rat's ass, i wouldn't get any hopes up.

tekkarp marks the return of the RDAs

i nominate moomao and hellfang.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Anri

Anri Dark Soul
    HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    give me a cyberpunk bar so i can see who wants to compete for having the craziest (back)story
    thanks

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Snuggles

Snuggles придурка, патриот

United Kingdom
    us*

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rookzilla

Rookzilla Zealot

United Kingdom
    In terms of TEKKA, I can't remember who started the thread, but there was a great old post about a war in a fictional country called The Middle Sea Republic. I'd like to see forum news about that sort of thing underway. What's funny is the person who wrote that did all that stuff before modern media showed us the siege of Aleppo and Mosul. I think it was a very good way of saying "This is the middle east thing going on right now" without being too specific, kinda like Val Verde in 80's action movies.

I think Dave's wisest choice would be to open up the current TEKKA thread for more posts, so that the community can generate hyper about it. All of the old stuff that used to be in TEKKA that's been carried forward could be tweaked and reworked, so a fresh start in terms of forum content is a good thing. I saw on his map he's included VICINUS as the primary weapons manufacturer, which is a throwback to the original development of the project.

I know that I for one have a lot of stuff that was unwritten for the Tekka backstory, and there was a lot of backstory that was useful that was left behind; things like the dustbowl event and the aquifers running dry. Those were really good plot events that were simple and not faction orientated, allowing for seamless transition into RP.

13. Abu Hajjar

Abu Hajjar Zealot

Posting here because I don't know where else to complain

I remember Dave saying something about the cheap pistol being based off the 1911, can't be fucked to find it because posting from phone, but as a man who hecking loves the ole 1911, it really triggered me that my favorite gun would be shit statwise. I looked around and got this picture of guns seized from Chiraq to show you all and hopefully Dave will bump the 1911 based pistol up to mid-tier pistol and not the basic bitch gun.

[​IMG]
    a Glock or Hi-Point would be the best choice to represent the starter pistol, as they are fairly recognizable and look like something a street thug would use. (Tbh, I rarely see 1911s as common criminal weapons in popular culture, more so as ones cartel kingpins would plate in gold and wave around infront of hookers)

ps. Dave may have not actually said that and it might have been in a dream (I know, im a loser, but I've got basically nothing to look forward to besides tekka at this point. Life is sad.)

14. Waptnt

RR Moderator

United States
    Its also the "distant" future where if youve looked at the things he's put up they dwarf the old 1911 in being more useful than others.

15. Abu Hajjar

Abu Hajjar Zealot

My concern is my personal and probable favorite being pushed back to "Tokarev" status. I want it to be a pistol capable of doing damage and not being a spitball shooter outside of s2rp, something I imagine there will be very little of in tekka.

Also, quick question regarding gun balance, are things like the AKX going to be better in every way then the base version or are the originals going to have some reason to use them beyond "it's cheap"

16. Bennet Dyson

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator

Ireland
    im gonna make sure it does fuck all damage

17. _Vintricus

_Vintricus Zealot

United States
    -10 damage per hit

let's overwatch this bitch

18. Decepti

Decepti 1992

United States
    i was told to come here about this

continuing off my last question about the police force, and i'm guessing tekka's probably already too late into development for this kind of suggestion, but please tell me everyday on-the-beat cops aren't gonna be wearing shit like spacesuit-sized heavy armor? i get it if something like tactical response teams had that type of protection, but i'd really like it if there was at least some kind of sense of uniformity among the force, as in everyday cops not looking like they're about to go fight some otherworldly bugs on their home planet.

i guess to put it more simply, i think it'd be simpler for officers not in the middle of a tactical response to resemble something more like this (i'm gonna be spoilering images so i don't spam up the thread with them);
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and not so much like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hell, you could probably still gear up the common officers in some body armor like we're starting to in present times, and probably more financially sensible than just some massive futuristic body armor, e.g.;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from which you can still make a nice aesthetic out of for the police force and still be able to give it an intimidating presence without giving them some wolfenstein robot nazi appearance like cyberpunk servers have a tendency of doing

also will there be a jurisdictional aspect to law enforcement faction(s), i.e. county law enforcement & municipal law enforcement, or are we going with something like a metropolitan police department where the SAPD will be the primary law enforcement of the city and all of it's surrounding areas? or am i getting ahead of myself and asking these questions too early?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Smiffy Bagels

Smiffy Bagels cisphobic

United States
    If we're doing Proper Cyberpunk™ local police will be a minor player on the law enforcement stage. Law enforcement and the law itself will be under the territorial jurisdiction of megacorperations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jon

Jon Zealot

United Kingdom
    I also want beat cop basic police uniforms instead of super armour

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • :( :( x 1
  21. RGB

RGB I am not a bot
    RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    This isn't really a dev idea so I'm putting it here since it's more lore/RP stuff, but I don't know where we plan to take things like this, but making distinct drugs with distinct stated (not necessarily scripted at all) effects gives them an allure, it's part of where they went uselessly wrong in HL2RP because they have no stated IC effects, so how do you RP that? People don't, they just use real life counterparts if they want a druggie.

Shitty future drugs with determined effects on the body please. Many of the ones in RimWorld are interesting ideas, I've been playing a lot of RimWorld again lately and it's got a lot of good themes and things in it that would translate really well into Tekka, and the drugs in particular are one of them.

From combat stimulant drugs that induce rage in withdrawal but make you a hell of a brawler for about five minutes, to super cannabis that chills you out but really does have bad side effects, to advanced rapidly working medical tech that can and will fuse your flesh together if you don't use it right, or even mechanites that rot your brain from the inside out if you run out of pills in a sort of Devil's Bargain deal.

Here's a cut from the wiki on the mechanite one

Luciferium is a rare, powerful and expensive drug that can either be purchased, dropped by raiders or found in ancient structures but there is no way to produce it. Luciferium's main use is to save one's life with a dramatic blood filtration improvement, but it also affects most of the other capacities. Additionaly, Luciferium can heal old scars or permanent injuries, as long as the part is not destroyed or missing. After the first dose, there is no way to get the mechanites out, ever. On the urbworlds, they call Luciferium the 'Devil's Bargain'. Many have been forced to kill friends when no more of the seductive red pills could be found.

Luciferium has to be taken every 6.667 days, otherwise the mechanites in Luciferium will lose cohesion, and a violent and possible fatal withdrawal will begin. In order to safely prevent this, create a Luciferium drug policy which is set not to satisfy addiction, but instead to take it every 6 days, and pocket 1 extra so that it can be taken as soon as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Jon

Jon Zealot

United Kingdom
    Here's a dumb pedantic suggestion of mine:

Since the idea of setting it in 2070 was floating around, could we make it 2073 so that the calendar matches up with our current year? So that when somebody says "hey meet me here on Saturday 12th August", it will actually be the correct in-game date?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Anri

Anri Dark Soul
    HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    i think nobody's really gonna pay any mind to what the real ingame date or time is, not exactly anyway or not to that point

if ppl say "saturday, the 12th of august" everyone's just gonna go with the current date and thats that

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  24. jabonicus

jabonicus Zealot

United States
    Androids are people and you can't convince me otherwise.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    RR Moderator

@redgreenblue items will have customizable names and descriptions i think, so its very likely scriptwise you'll be able to edit drug_overwatch as youd like

26. RGB

RGB I am not a bot
    RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    Yeah but I mean will w have some pre-established stuff on what these drugs actually are? We have a whole pile of custom drugs on show in HL2 RP and almost nobody acknowledges this stuff because it's not got any stated effects, scriptwise or even IC, except for Antlion Rage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  27. Lemonfizzle

Lemonfizzle Member

United States
    This sounds like some tasty stuff, sign me up. Especially for mutants!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

I am 100% serious when I say that a Mars colony independence movement should be a major plotpoint in the Tekka setting.

• Agree Agree x 6
  29. Gunnerstrip7

Gunnerstrip7 Warrior of Sunlight
    HL2 Admin

United States
    This is more of the fact that the drugs are entirely a concoction of TnB and have no sort of reference. If we wanted to make sci-fi drugs without resorting to being a Dark RP server with actual RL-style drugs, I'd recommend we look at other Sci-Fi games that have drugs. Like Shadowrun.

30. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

Also on the topic of mutants.

I've been reading up on a lot of 40K lore and delved into what are referred to as Voidborns, or individuals born in zero gravity aboard a space vessel of some form. Due to the gravity (or the lack thereof) in the environment, birth often has unusual outcomes and thus is akin to what we'd likely refer to as a mutant.

I'd be interested to see this concept played around with to see if we could fit that in somewhere, as from what I gather Mars colonization is very much a plotpoint (Which again I think we should expand upon via my previous post.)

31. Gunnerstrip7

Gunnerstrip7 Warrior of Sunlight
    HL2 Admin

United States
    Voidborn are the result of generations of birth in zero-G. It's unlikely that Void Born as they are would appear on Mars. Maybe there'd be some form of Marsborn? Certainly not the Adeptus Mechanicus...

Mars colonization can take a lot of ques from different games or literature. Mars is often depicted as being colonized and being apart of Earth's coalition and, in a setting where Earth doesn't go very far into space, may declare independence or get into fights because of disagreements. "You don't live here you can't tell us what to do!" For example. A real life worry that many people have is, if we terraform and colonize Mars, and they have extreme disagreements with us, Mutually Assured Destruction doesn't apply. Because they don't live on Earth.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  32. Mox

Mox
    RR Moderator

I was moreso referring to people born in transit, on space stations or asteroid/moon mining facilities, but yes I absolutely agree!

I don't want to delve too much into space as that begins to carve far beyond our aimed local on server setting, but these are some great foundations to work off of that I wanted to address/bring to the table.

33. TOMKEG1

TOMKEG1 terrible tastes in anime

United States
    Individuals born and raised on Mars, or any planet/moon with a gravity less than that of Earth's, would be taller and physically weaker. It'd be awkward and difficult for those raised on Mars to return to Earth, they'd likely be confined to a wheelchair and considering the setting face prejudice from the citizens of Earth, and perhaps the government.

34. Snuggles

Snuggles придурка, патриот

United Kingdom
    am i a martian??

• Agree Agree x 1
  35. TOMKEG1

TOMKEG1 terrible tastes in anime

United States
    yes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  36. Jackie

Jackie Senior Member

United States
    i still wanna be to jack in that 80s cyberspace/simulated reality
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  37. adderall

HL2 Admin

United States
    you've come to the right place, my friend.

38. Davebrown

Davebrown my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
    Senior Executive Administrator

United Kingdom
    Im happy to suggest that Mars-born humans (or anywhere else in space) can be physically larger etc.
    Although I wouldnt want to have them become weak - that would be restrictive of an interesting plot and character trait.

Would be cool to have like, the "big dumb martian" stereotype which is inherent for the Mars-independence militia.....reason enough to make them somewhat feared and imposing idk

39. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    RR Moderator

i can see the martian colonys just prescribing/importing tons of steroids and other supplements to null the effects of birth in lower gravity and as a result we get things like drug dependency and PharmaCom making a killing off 50/50 talcum powder and real 'roids

• Agree Agree x 2
  40. pirate

pirate TnB's Most Wanted

United States
    Mars is usually depicted as technocratic in these kinds of sci-fis because Martians rely heavily on technology to sustain their lives, especially if they've cut ties with Earth. Individual Martians are therefore usually pretty sharp tacks and handy with tech.

• Agree Agree x 3