[Suggestion] Observer Flags

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by Disorder, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    I don't know about HL2RP but SRP definetly had them, for those of you who don't know those are some specific flags that allow you to noclip invisible on the map mostly used to be much more efficient into building stuff and narrate through various events.
    It was a great idea to be honest, it can be given to players that are trusted not to missuse them to be much more efficient into making events and be as less dependent as possible from the administration. I'm more than sure they could appreciate focusing on other stuff, like I said efficiency.

Can it be done? Of course it can.

Question is why was it not considered up until now, unless it was suggested in the past and I missed the thread. It's something that can be abused but with that logic absolutely anything can be abused, the administration can just tightly regulate who has them and who doesn't. People who have them of course bearing the obligation / responsabillity to use them as intended.

Opinions?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Rabid

Rabid Legend

Wasn't a big part of why they never returned after SRP being all the cases of suspected metagame using them and people who'd just sit in observer watching RP for ages and ages?

• Zing Zing x 1
  3. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    Supervision / regulation was very poor during SRP up to the point where over 70% of the population had access to them. It can be improved here, I'm more than sure we still have leftover people we can trust to put aside any desire to spy on roleplay or metagame in favor of doing events.

4. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    Should it be done? No.

The ability to fly around in noclip and be invisible is more used for moderation than it is for building. There's nothing about setting up scenes that requires someone to be in observe (a physgun in someones hands isn't any more immersion-breaking than one floating in the air moving props around), and if you need the convenience of noclip, just build offline, save a duplicate, and put it on thee server. The only time something like this works is when it's an intermediate player-admin role like GM where the extra power comes with the extra responsibility of moderating the server, and even with that people are tempted to sit in observe and contribute very little.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    What if we got to some sort of middle ground where the flag can be given temporarily, like:

/a hey can i have build/observer/w/e flags for 20-30 minutes to build something?

After that they can be removed so that person can resume whatever they were doing. This should eliminate the risk you mentioned above.

6. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    at that point what exactly do you need observe flags for?

7. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    To be able to be more efficient in building / manage the scene. It could be 1-2 hours too depending on how the event works out.

It's a little better immersive to just float invisible above the people to do the /lev commands and stuff.

8. posepsi

posepsi actually el pepso

United States
    If you're building anything complicated or that will take a while it is better to do it in single player and paste it over instead of being a disruptive OOC presence.

I could see them being used for certain niche situations such as an HK-Widow that can crawl through vents and tight spaces and along ceilings and such which can't be portrayed by the normal movement system. It could also be useful when admins need a hand running an event, deputizing a player for the purpose of scene description or whatever.

I don't know if the script supports temporary flags but if it does they should be that if they exist at all, expiring after the player leaves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. justcallmeipod

United States
    Hate to hijack this post for the HL2 boys but observer/no-clip flags seem like they would really help people who want to play some of the zen wildlife. I could see this being used for non-admins who want to play as one of those teleporting toads.

As for TRP yeah cheif i see no point

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin Contributor

United States
    Personally I would never hand this flag out based off the fact that I'd more than likely need to babysit the person using them.
    Also if things are too hectic on server it becomes pretty easy to lose track of who has them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Robe

Robe some fucking pog fuck

United States
    Too easily abused, admins already have enough on their hands with moderating shenanigans and events. You should be able to just use /ev or /lev flags to get your events across.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pirate

pirate TnB's Most Wanted

United States
    It's useful for building but I wouldn't add it just for that. It is extremely useful for managing events. Concerns about abuse could easily be stymied by having cloaked players show when you take your physgun out (like prop info)

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Davebrown

Davebrown my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
    Senior Executive Administrator

United Kingdom
    I only want admins having access to this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    Before I was admin, I would just ask an admin to use the color tool on my model to set me invisible, and that was usually enough.

I know there used to be a mechanism to temporarily grant admin to someone wanting to run an event that required it, and iirc it would only last until the next restart or until the player disconnected. But I think only superadmins can do this. I can imagine why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Scouser

Scouser Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Can we just have the GM role back so that certain people we don't think should be full admins can at least have the powers needed to create events?

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    There's not a need for it right now like there was during the uprising.

17. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    I trusted you pirate.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Mother

Mother Commander of the GAR
    TRP Admin

United States
    Get your filthy HL2 discussions out of my subforum.

As far as TRP is concerned, these would get abused more often than not.

Better to add a role like a trial admin or gm or something.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Flower

Flower Jason Killer does not exist....
    TRP Admin

United States
    Keep the discussion about half life two and pirate’s retarded escapades in; the half life two subforum. Next post about the previously mentioned will be infracted and deleted. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1