[Suggestion] Narrative Planning Board for TRP

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by Mox, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Mox

Mox I had strings but now I am free...

I want to bring the usage of a planning board into TRP for the sake of more narratively driven storylines to form. While auth boards currently exist for this matter, the medium to discuss concept storylines to push along the server in a semi-private fashion is rather limited.

I feel things like the operations in the campaign tracker, the exodus from Fresno, the detour into Mexico and the reaver events are examples of things that could emerge from this. Giving players a platform to plan and discuss ideas together towards pushing out fun things for players to involve themselves with on server will only have positive results.

It worked for HL2, and the uprising was probably one of the best orchestrated story arcs to ever have hit TnB. While TRP is not steering towards its end game, we should certainly be able to make use of it to exact stories in server regardless. Consider it a drawing board for larger narratives and event chains.

Naturally, people would be expected to contribute if they have this board access. It should not be used to see into the future regarding coming events, as the whole purpose of the board is to somewhat privatize these discussions for the sake of not having them be spoiled before we get the chance to perfect the plan and implement it onto the server.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SergeantPierre@TwitchTV

United States
    Hi, I totally agree. Plz dont PK me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    Paroxysm Admin Contributor

United States
    I feel like the HL2 Narrative Board was only ever used by staff or people who eventually became staff. People would apply for it and then never contribute a single thing. They'd read, post ratings on things, and never truly shed an opinon.

Also, the Narrative Board had nothing to do with the Uprising, and saying that it did is giving the subforum way too much credit. The Uprising was an organized group of events that was coordinated by the entirety of the hl2 staff, and every admin contributed in some way. We had a clear goal, an outline provided by toast, and an end. After that, it was just up to the individual event runners to fill it with spice. I think that potential exists in the TRP team and could be executed without the creation of this board.

The people who would use this subforum don't really need it, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Mox

how did the planning board just turn into private fast threads at the drop of a hat as soon as I no longer had access to it...

there really isn't a negative reprecussion to having this forum. if we're going to be taking a more narratively driven focus towards the server this would help.

people that dont contribute can get their access removed. i didnt contribute. i got removed from the HL2 planning board. simple.

• ...what? ...what? x 1
  6. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    they werent fast threads, it was toast with the whip telling us to get in shape and keep up the work

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Mox

I mean I suppose that makes sense but I would have probably just had one singular thread for that and bumped it.

8. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
  9. Mox

right, not the toast way.

anyways, considering how combat centric the RP setting is, a genuine board for narrative planning would be a good thing as it'd encourage more nuanced and intricate tales to tell. its not forcing story down the hatch here.

sure, TRP is not as flexible of a setting as say HL2, but we can still make the most of it. i certainly do.

10. toastmatic

toastmatic paranoid and delusional
    Paroxysm Admin Moderator

the player planning boards were a disaster. it became a little clique of people discussing the particularities of a setting and "cool ideas" (generally centered around their character or their faction) instead of progressing the server in the direction they were created to advance

trp is in the shitter because the administrators are scared of taking the reigns and ignoring the dumb shit dave does: it's caused resignations from the same people who abandoned hl2 when they were needed, and the remainder are content upholding the status quo.

letting people sit around in private forums and discuss things they'd like to see won't do anything for the server

• Agree Agree x 6
    • #shotsfired #shotsfired x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

also lol @ my work bein fast thread.s.....

12. Mox

idk man some of those thread titles...

13. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

once i did away with the pretense of caring what the playerbase wanted, all bets were off

• Zing Zing x 10
  14. AlbinoGlowStick

AlbinoGlowStick CCA.C17-KOBRA.SqL.85900

United States
    The NPB had some merits in getting people who put effort into positions where they could help the server and imo it did help get the ball rolling from ~slow burn~, but as stated by the others when it came to actually running overarching narrative events it was just a cluster fuck.

15. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    i don't think it really got the ball rolling because nothing from the narrative planning boards ended up actually being used and all it achieved was people spoiling themselves for the future

16. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin Contributor

United States
    HL2 aside, would it really hurt to give this a shot?
    If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out, no harm with bringing individuals on the staff team and playerbase together and allow them all a medium to plan some events out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

were those the same people who left after they nearly wrecked the server with dt01 or are you talkin about someone else

• Zing Zing x 1
  18. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    (ravenholm)

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    Just give us the boards. At this point doing something is better than doing nothing because doing nothing won't change TRP from Daves Playgroundâ„¢ to an actual rp server. You guys can keep saying Dave is scratching off your ideas but I don't think he'd care much if we introduced some narrative boards that won't stop him from mouse one'ing poor drones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rabid

Rabid Legend

The more people you include the more likely things are to either never see the light of day and thus upset people who are hyped up about it or (as @FervensPb said) turn it into a custerfuck.

It was difficult sometimes with just the staff team until we settled into it to make something cohesive, nevermind if we'd opened it up fully to the playerbase. There were some very good GM's who I'm glad to have had aboard but there were also a lot who volunteered and did next to nothing.

A plot in TRP terms doesn't have to be as complex as the Uprising was because one side is a faction dedicated to being the antagonist and aren't actual characters you have to satisfy.

21. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    i didnt do shit

i was a bad planner

22. popo

popo Zealot

United States
    jeez dude I thought you were done grandstanding about this. Kinda hard to take this as anything but molten salt still bubbling under the surface when you're gonna outright misrepresent the truth.

You know full well that, despite the fact I no longer wanted to deal with the rest of the admin teams' indecision (at the time) and resigned from the team, I still offered up detailed event plans I had been working on, and was glad to run them still. You're aware of this because you commented in the thread I proposed them in. In that same thread I was explicitly told I wasn't needed anymore so I took that on face value. However I'm glad you guys decided to go with the 6 week plan (which Albino and I had suggested something quite similar months prior and was met with a resounding no from the SCL as "slow burn" was still in full effect at the time). The 6 week plan was definitely the best way to structure the uprising so maybe we can at least agree about that if nothing else. You guys did a knockout job, I really applaud that, and I'm not being facetious when I say that. There's no beef on my end but I can't help but think the feeling isn't mutual...

Anyways I know you're quite skilled in hyperbole but I gotta ask you kindly to stop purposefully misrepresenting the truth about my actions. I don't usually wade into drama and prefer to just wash my hands of things but where my personal reputation is concerned it's hard not to say something.

23. Rabid

Rabid Legend

The other problem is the setting itself in regards to coming up with a coherent, dynamic plotline that doesn't tread the same water.

Inherently what made The Uprising work is that you had two opposing sides that were filled with actual characters, all of whom had an invested interest in seeing the conflict through. You had years worth of tension boiling over and you had a real solid playground to work with even just from that.

TRP doesn't have that dynamic. SkyNET isn't interesting in itself as an antagonist because you can't communicate or sympathize with it. It isn't filled with characters you can relate to or who can develop long-term in ways that'll make people stop and think or turncoat. You are in a war with literal machines that have no other interest but to kill you and will not and cannot be swayed from that (outside of Reprogs which have massive potential). This then leaves human antagonists which kinda defeat the point of the setting if they get made the focus.

Trading body-blows with SkyNET is about the only faction dynamic you can reasonably have. The more I've thought on it the more I've realized how horrifically crippling it is for the team to work with.

#23 Rabid, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  24. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

you mean the closed event you wanted to run after washing your hands of all accountability? yes i was awre of that..........

i wont derail the thread tellin you i disagree with your view of what happened, so

give trp planning boards should be entertaining to lurk on if only so i can look forward to posts like this a few months down the line

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. popo

popo Zealot

United States
    It was designed to be as inclusive as possible actually so I'm not sure why you're calling it a closed event. Even if it was, I don't see an inherent problem in enforcing standards through a threshold of quality for admittance. I'll post my write-up for the event in question, I guess we can just let people make up their own minds. Like I said I'm not trying to stir up drama, and I don't like engaging in it, but I do feel obligated to point out a blatant lie about myself.

"Let those curse it who curse the day, Who are prepared to rouse Leviathan." Job 3:8

Some have waited a lifetime to strike back at the malevolent forces occupying our home, others have spent this decade only wishing things could go back to the way they were. Humanity, for this long Generation, have been cracked and fractured. Cast adrift between the worst excesses of the Black Mesa incident, a world of infinitely unfolding chaos, and the harsh brutalities of a global regime, a world of suffocating order where every living thing has been collected, catagorized and catalogued.

In the ashes of City 17 sits the smoldering ruins of that great monolithic Citadel. A resonant stake twisting into the sky that burns itself into the eyes of those who look upon it. Though the catalysmic signal to the fleets of armageddon was thwarted, humanity must still take even bolder steps to ensure it's own continued survival. Truly these could be end of days. The One Free Man has opened the way, now we must contend with what lays beyond the threshold and seal the door behind us.

Tale of the Leviathan is a story driven, highly cinematic single event that incorporates established concepts from the Half-Life series and a hand picked selection of homebrewed elements that will tell the story of how Lambda aquires 2 things- The launch codes for the WF rocket, and the Borealis' materialization point. It takes place directly following the Citadel's explosion, effectively book marking episode 1 and episode 2.

There will be ample room for established resistance and CCA characters to attend, however due to the event's structure, attendance on the resistance side of things for this event will essentially guarentee a PK one way or another (however they will have an interesting choice in their final moments), this will be HL2's Rogue One, and between Albino and I, this is our Magnum Opus in an already tall pile of contributions to this community. It will have our own personal touch and vision as we'll be putting the work to write, organize and moderate this event for the sake of providing the community with an extremely memorable and fun experience- and if you know anything about the exploits of City Ops, people die frequently in our events. Therefore those overly attached to their rebel characters and interesting in them seeing the very end of the iteration are not advised to attend, and it will be made abundantly clear the nature of this event (dont bring a char you cant bear to get PK'd). In conclusion, event characters will be available to those who want to participate but aren't comfortable with a well developed character of theirs' biting the dust.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Act 1:
    Resistance, aboard their vessel the Northern Light docked somewhere on the coast, await the signal. As the Citadel violently explodes on the horizon, they set to the seas, their objective is to breach a pre-war military subpen that was used by Black Mesa remnants following the resonance cascade as a secure place to conduct research. Aboard the dry-docked nuclear submarines' computers there are the launch codes for the White Forest bunker missle silo, these codes are the target. The resistance have secured a HK helicopter in the chaos of the uprising and, it takes off from the helipad on the ship for a forward scouting run once they've shoved off.
    Meanwhile, a group of loyalist CCA elements that recently escaped the city have intercepted communications from the Northern Light and, on assumption that they're moving manpower and weapons into the area to mop up Combine remnants, prepare a pre-emptive strike on the Northern Light and they mount their RHIB boats. The resistance helicopter spots the RHIB armada and gives the Northern Light time to form a defensive plan.
    As they're forming the plan, a massive object is detected passing below them by sonar, people speculate on what it could be. It remains unknown for now, but it's massive in size. This, is the Leviathan. A massive, serpentine synth that patrols the Black Sea. It will circle the ship for a time, but the captain will press on and show no signs of weakness, the sonar signature disappears before the CCA remnants finally arrive and begin their high seas assault on the Northern Light.

Act 2:
    Resistance execute their plan and sustain a firefight with the CCA on the deck long enough to launch in their air boats, circle around and destroy the CCA RHIB boats. Once the CCA have been stranded on the Northern Light, the resistance retreat in their smaller, faster air boats as they're close enough to the shore to make it to the subpen. This leaves the CCA now in control of the Northern Light as the resistance speed off to their objective. CCA will probably be somewhat confused but as they start to pour through information and written orders left behind by the fleeing Resistance it soon becomes clear that their true objective is to secure the launch codes. The CCA commander comes to the conclusion they're trying to secure a nuclear weapon and they set sail for the subpen, trailing the airboat brigade. In addition, they radio this finding in to land-based Combine remnants and a large group of Synths are redirected towards the subpen.
    Resistance arrive at the subpen and first have to bring the facilities' power back online, after combing through the time capsule of a place, they finally return power and are able to get inside the submarine. Upon closer inspection, there are messages from the Borealis still on the submarine's computers, and it turns out the vessel was a part of the same ragtag network of military officers and scientists who were responsible for the creation of the Borealis' bootstrap device. While they came for the WF launch codes, they realize they've stumbled across a message detailing where they intended to take the Borealis upon activation of the bootstrap machine: to the Arctic. With these 2 revelations in mind, resistance get to work preparing to broadcast the information back to White Forest and arm themselves with the arsenal left in the until recently sealed military base.

Act 3:
    CCA arrive at the subpen and start skirmishing with the dug-in resistance forces still trying to bring the old bases' communication system back online. The battle is desperate and tense, neither side seem able to defeat the other and they're locked in a stalemate and the CCA are unable to crack the the base. However time is not on the resistance's side.
    Synth reinforcements now arrive and things get turned up a notch, resistance starts employing the RPGs found within the base. Soon after the Striders start to engage, the resistance's scout helicopter enters the fray. The battle rages on land and in the air for a time, but the resistance starts to take losses and their helicopter gets shot down eventually. Resistance take down some of the Striders but eventually a strider cannon anhialates the docked Northern Light and nearby airboats, sealing their fate. Some distance off the shore, the Leviathan synth finally emerges and just watches the battle unfold.

The Leviathan is an allegory of the Combine itself. That which observes, deduces and acts coldly and rationally with unstoppable might behind it. Now I know what you're thinking "but popo, Leviathans are a archetypally a symbol of chaos not order". That's exactly the point, it's an intentional inverse of archetypal symbolism to produce the effect of something strange that does not fit in our world, does not belong, does not seem right. Where the Levithan represents chaos in traditional spheres of human symbology, this Leviathan has been twisted and pressed to serve Order (the Combine being the most complete manifestation of order).

Act 4:

From the resistance's perspective, this is now when the grim reality of their situation starts to become apparent. They're surrounded by Synths by land and sea. But they finally get the communications system back online and sobering as it may be, they realize that sacrifices have to be made, with nowhere to run, they hunker down and prepare to defend the comms system while it transmits the information packet.

It's about now that CCA are ordered to fall back, they fly away like bad asses in their dropship and watch the Leviathan deploy a dark fusion weapon against the subpen. The CCA escapes the blast zone and watches the terrifying weapon's immediate after effects as they fly on to wherever they'll be based for the episode 2 phase.

As for the resistance trapped in the subpen. Their day of reckoning has come. They made the ultimate sacrifice, laying down their life to secure information vital continuing the next steps of the global rebellion. However, moments before the dark fusion weapon lands, a strange man appears to them. A man with a charcoal suit and briefcase. All time and space stops and freeze around them, and the G-man offers to whisk them away from certain death to be put into stasis. Each character is able to make their own respective decision here, to live another day but as a slave, or to die free, and that's really one of the core philosophical questions that emerges from analyzing HL2 so I think it's thematically fitting, consistent with lore (though out there) and offer players a very interesting choice even though the outcome has been rail roaded to a degree. Now this will effectively be a PK for all the rebels like I said above, they either die in the fires of the dark fusion weapon or accept the G-man's offer and go into stasis. Either way, they made an ultimate sacrifice.

26. Anton

Anton Zealot

Israel
    I honestly don't get why most of admins/gms/whatever shy out of using human antagonists. The closest you get to a human antagonist is a 800 that can talk and process what humans say but it's still a machine that will not relent until it turns you into a pile of ash.

With human antagonist leading human enemies you could actually do a lot more as the story arc becomes more flexible, one might argue "whats the point of trp if you use human antagonists", the answer to that is simple because Skynet is always the bigger, looming threat above the heads of all humanity no matter which group they belong this. You can easily reinforce this belief by adding a touch of Skynet during conflicts or events that are mainly focused on the human antag aspect.

27. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

;^\

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Zing Zing x 1
  28. popo

popo Zealot

United States
    What are you even talking about dude LOL.

29. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin Contributor

United States
    Okay cool great back on topic, thanks and uhhhhh....thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. jules

jules Saver of TnB

United States
    been doin a lot of antagonist work with the silk road even though i never really wanted them to become the antagonist role but because no one was buying my drugs i am now slinging rpgs

in terms of the planning board, it's a good idea on paper but no one really goes through with it. for me i do a lot of sporadic type stuff and write a thread up later after i'm finished building it/making the plot out via the authboard.

it's a little hard to make intensive roleplay events on the server as joystick said. because of the lack of no event server -- so if you do an event, you're gonna have to split the event up with an s2k part and a roleplay part but you need a lot of hands on deck to make sure both parts of the events are going good.

i'm pretty sure dave said he doesn't really care what the players do in terms of roleplay, i'm not sure what he does to bar the admin team but i'm sure we can work around it. but like i said, i don't know what happens behind the scenes.

also this hypocrisy is delicious, especially coming from toast rofl

31. Rabid

Rabid Legend

This is a pretty big one for me and its why a lot of event makers have kinda trailed off.

Events are either all-or-nothing and that really isn't productive for staff or players. You can't really craft anything small-scale without hoping the rest of the server doesn't come rushing to their aid or you have to cut off their radio every time and build in an area they've probably been to a thousand times.

If you do a full-scale event you have to drag everyone along with a map-swap for half a day and that kinda ruins it and inherently you sorta have to stuff the S2K in somewhere to keep everyone satisfied.

32. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    Paroxysm Admin

United States

• :( :( x 1
    • Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1
    • ...what? ...what? x 1
  33. Bennet Dyson

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator

Ireland
    i need an angry rating for this

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  34. _Vintricus

_Vintricus Legend

United States
    :angry:

35. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    TRP Admin

full disclosure
    i opened full stop with more ambition than energy to see it through and let it die

i have ideas i think are cool and fun but im always shy to show them off and when i do they're much tinier short-story kind of things, and i put each one on the same kind of pedestal because i know or worry they're not enough to stand on their own

#35 scumbo, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  36. Scouser

Scouser Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I think we should get a narrative planning board for TRP just to produce some more spicy admin drama.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1