(Suggestion) Medical System

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by Mooondy, Jul 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mooondy

Mooondy Member

Germany
    Hi, I'm Drake, Moondy, Blicky or recently also Bobby Shmurda's biggest fan.

This is basically my first thread, or suggestion, in this Forum so yeah, maybe someone agrees with this.

Surely, some of you may or may not have noticed this addon called 'Health equipments pack' (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1421027193) which is basically a collection of a few medical props such as a First-Aid kit, a bandage and such giving the player HP.
    So I would like to suggest adding these as actual items on the server.

Pretty senseless at first, I know, because our lords and saviors probably have to disable the function of automatically regenerating health, to make it work - which would be more realistic, though.

Also, this would add actual 'gameplay' to the role of a medic, instead of doing several /me's and such (this doesn't mean, that they don't have to emote wrapping a bandage around an arm).

Along with all this stuff, there could be a feature to make a player bleed or feel pain.
    On the server, the player would get the same 'overlay' or sight-reduction as if they are being punched, when bleeding or feeling pain.

That's basically it! (My goal is not to remove medic emotes or anything like that, just bring in some pepper into the soup - you know.)

Thank's for reading and stuff.

2. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin Contributor

United States
    You do not need scripts to have roleplay.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Bad Reading Bad Reading x 2
    • Thinking Thinking x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Drewerth

Drewerth nothing stops MY roleplay

United States
    SSgt. Anthony Mendoza slaps a bandaid on that bitch.

• Thinking Thinking x 1
  4. Snuggles

Snuggles Legend

United Kingdom
    i'd sooner have gbombs

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. The Red Menace

The Red Menace Silent Hill Extraordinaire
    Contributor

United States
    What TRP server are you on dude

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    Paroxysm Admin Contributor

United States
    Hey, I can tell that you're just trying to be helpful and give a good recommendation, but in my opinion when it comes to roleplay it's better to have fewer 'gameplay' mechanics that you have to write around.
    What you're suggesting might enhance realism for some people who don't want to roleplay specific things, but it would generally become a nuisance for those who do. Medical roleplay is one of those aspects that should have the least amount of things touching it because it's something that everyone has different opinions about. Some people want it to be in depth, and some people don't want to do a single emote about it. You can't have both.

This is a roleplay server, and everything you just said can be done in character. If we give people these outlets to just use scripts instead of roleplaying, it'll either not improve the level of writing or actively work against it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. kingryan

kingryan Zealot

United States
    I got a medical system for you, it's called /mes and some timeskips, booyah.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    considering TRP's combat is actually primarily S2K, some sort of medical item isnt bad

all of you HL2 mfers think you're slick to tell him that "its about roleplay" and "you dont need scripts to roleplay", but recognize the demographic and the mode of combat and a bandage might not be a bad idea

i dont think the whole thing should be implemented, only maybe an item or two for longevity on TC's side of conflicts

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mox

Mox master of hidden agendas. clandestine roleplayer.
    Contributor

[HL2 refugee boat meme]

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    i think it's actually pretty heartwarming that people still haven't given up on the idea of turning terminator into a roleplay server

as for the actual thread, though - a roleplay server's primary focus is exactly that: writing. it's not about doing a gameplay action and then writing that out; i really don't think adding more gameplay options that reduce the need to write is a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Newticus

Newticus thotticus

United States
    :thinking:

I'm not saying don't add any medical items. A bandage item and a medkit item are fine. I never really got much use out of them in hl2, but the servers are very different.
    However with exo-suits and other items already in the mix, this might be a weird addition in terms of balancing. In hl2 s2k, one person with a couple medkits could completely turn the tide of battle.

12. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    i suppose you arent wrong, but hl2's items werent thrown in with the thought of balancing. i think the most balance refinement done was cleaning up powerful rifles and nerfing ones in the CCA.

i have faith the *TS2K guys could do good with figuring out where bandages and medkits fit in

13. Malum Umbra

Malum Umbra Senior Member

Canada
    Well, I can see the value in having some form of medical script / item could help with some of the S2K events, less people dying so fast would take the confusion out of people running into the battle with physguns out to continue the fight. I know many GMod healing items such as DarkRP's med-kit and FAS's IFAK weapon could and would be abused for self heals during events, so they would need to be a form of consumable only held in amounts of 2-3 by people trained / certified to have them, like the woefully under-used CLS role Tech Comm has.

When I say underutilized I mean that most people who get their characters CLS trained treat it more as " I can make a splint " when it should be more about battlefield stabilization. Many times the CLS trained Characters will just run to a injured soldier and heft them up and dump them in medical, but enough about that, back to the idea of a medical item.

Pros I can see out of having a 'Heal other / Heal self' item is that if HP regen was disabled, or at least vastly slowed, it would give precedent to actually having combat medics out there keeping folks alive in a S2K situation or even on the larger events making a medical stop shop. This could also carry over to a S2RP situation, I know I remember doing someones field surgery while others held off machines just around the corner. As for how it could work in game, it would need to be a slow heal, and I mean slow, If it is too fast, whats to stop someone from getting nearly killed in a event, running to medical, and 10 seconds latter leaving at full hp. Personally I think a 1 - 0.5 hp /sec heal would keep it fast enough to keep S2K going while not slowing things down too much, it would likely need balancing as it went but this is all just theoretical.

Cons of this, if the item is just left out as a script for any and all to get, the idea of a Combat Medic would die, if everyone can grab this medical kit and heal their friends what point is there too it at all. If two people both get medical kits they could daisy chain healing and S2K for hours if they played it overly safe, running away at low hp to heal each other. Another idea along the same vein, if 7 people all get to cover, and heal one person. even with a slowed heal rate, the healing target could be alive for a very long time. Next, unless a healing limit is placed a person could life forever so long as they had a pocket medic, a ammo limit of 40 - 60 HP before a long recharge period, and during the recharge the item cannot be used, it would need to reach full charge before being usable.

In Summary:
    1. If a heal item was added. It would need to be giving to CLS who would agree not to abuse it under fear of punishment.
    2. Keep its healing rate low to avoid treating it like a medical pit-stop.
    3. A limit to the amount of healing the Item can do before needing ether a RP restock or In-game Recharge.
    3[A]. A slow recharge of the medical kit would be needed, slow enough so a conservation would be needed.
    4. Let this medical kit see a Green/Yellow/Red status on a players HP, to manage who needs healing more.
    5. Make the item a flag, or a item that cannot be drop on death. To prevent it from falling into abusive hands.
    6. Hold RP training sessions that includes OOC rules of having this ability.
    7. Eliminate or severally lower the regen time on a humans HP to facilitate the use of this medical kit.
    8. Do not allow the item to recharge unless emptied of HP to provide to prevent spamming.
    8[A]. Allow the user to purposefully empty the HP to start a recharge. [A long un-equip / re-equip time could do this ?]

My hope for this is that if a healing weapon is added it would give combat medics something more involved then /me's or being just another grunt firing at the bots during a S2K. I imagine a situation were a S2K gets going, and TC is hold their trench, and a soldier gets knocked to 15 hp. Rather then running inside and hiding while their HP comes back and they re-flag their armor. They can yell for a medic, and someone with this item can be seen sprinting over, healing them up enough that they can limp back to the line.

If there's any ideas people have in-regards to what I suggested please let me know. There's a lot of things here that would need a lot of approval and testing, like the heal-rate, recharge rate, and who would be allowed this item.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1
    #13 Malum Umbra, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  14. Chocolate

Chocolate Legend

Canada
    no offense and I'm pretty sure you raised some good points but goddamn bro turn down the lights on your post

15. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.

United States
    Usually by the time your armour is gone you're pretty much dead anyway with how powerful a lot of the guns are, plus health regenerates too. Though it also would give people who are bad at s2k (such as me) something else to do in a fight.

Maybe some way of repairing armour would be nice too?

16. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
    hey guys can you see my post

17. Sinclair

Sinclair Zealot

United States
    no

• :( :( x 1
  18. Malum Umbra

Malum Umbra Senior Member

Canada
    Well most people that need too fix their armor just do a /me of 'Replaces plates' then re flags their armor.

19. Mox

Mox master of hidden agendas. clandestine roleplayer.
    Contributor

20. Guy!

Contributor

United States
    bring back stream radios and give me medkits or give me death