[SUGGESTION] long distance recognition

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by scumbo, Oct 21, 2018.

1. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    TRP Admin

with scopes/binoculars or eyes im not sure what it should be limited to

in trp for example its hard to communicate to a specific bot without knowing their digits at range and thus being unable to pm them or anything - this may be a niche request but it would solve a universal problem and make scopes/binoculars much more useful

simultaneously the additional clutter of names on screen may be annoying for people using sniper rifles for example

any thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. LawlMan

LawlMan Zealot

United States
    Not sure if this is possible, but we couldshrink the size of the name pop-ups and increase the distance in which you can see them? I've always had the problem of not knowing who I'm emoting at during S2RP because I can't see their name, so I have to awkwardly physgun shift+w up to them. I don't see why we couldn't at the very least increase the range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Emeritus

Emeritus Member

Portugal
    While I do agree that sometimes not knowing who you're emoting or pming makes the S2RP a little difficult, the aura of mistery prevents people from metagaming.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
    • ...what? ...what? x 3
  4. Mox

Mox I had strings but now I am free...
    Contributor

I have never agreed to the idea of utilizing script features or otherwise to 'hinder' metagame at the cost of something else. When people do metagame, it is blatantly obvious and is sorted out.

I'd prefer to allow the problematic individuals who would attempt to metagame the ability to do so simply so that the admins are given an opportunity to handle them and prevent further issues, instead of putting our trust in a script system to thwart that sort of mindset when in reality they'll just find more secretive ways to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Davebrown

Davebrown my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
    Senior Executive Administrator

United Kingdom
    I would much rather not......I dont want those visuals cluttering up the screen. Too much HUD information really spoils immersion.

People have got along without this for years just fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. LawlMan

LawlMan Zealot

United States
    I've never really ever encountered an instance where the screen is cluttered due to names or otherwise, especially when looking at things through scopes or thermals. The distance increase doesn't have to be all that far, and quite frankly, I should be able to recognize who someone is from more than fifteen feet away. It doesn't really spoil immersion at all imo.

Maybe if there is a way to just increase the range for when someone uses a scope, that could be a viable option. Though that sounds like something that might be difficult to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pirate

pirate TnB's Most Wanted

United States
    At HL2 we had the binoculars which made it possible to see names at great distances.

Could do it so scopes show the name of the person you're looking directly at from any distance, and binoculars just increase the range for names appearing while they're being used. This way there's no added HUD clutter when using scopes; binoculars are purely for observing so if you're using them that's probably what you're trying to do.

I realize this is for TRP but I'm guessing this feature would be added to ZRP too if done for TRP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    Thing is, we have a sort of Binoc thing for TRP already. Its called the Thermal Imaging Device, and they're so common it basically IS binocs. Allows for regular and well, thermal viewing. I do like the idea of a binoc option for ZRP, though.

9. Mox

Mox I had strings but now I am free...
    Contributor

Except it doesn't show names.

10. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    TRP Admin

i absolutely agree that the added visuals would be very annoying, very likely even blocking the target in some cases - thats why i think if this was something technologically possible the option to switch the system on or off would be vital to it being a quality of life change

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    Fair enough. We'll see how it all plays out if it is added.

12. Davebrown

Davebrown my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
    Senior Executive Administrator

United Kingdom
    Its not being added.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thinking Thinking x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. LawlMan

LawlMan Zealot

United States
    k i guess