[Suggestion] Collaborator flag changes.

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by Rabid, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid

Rabid Legend

Hi guys.

These are super new but just a few changes I'd suggest:
    1. Have Collaborators appear off the scoreboard like Terminators, but able to be seen by both Terminators and other Collaborators. Metagame can and would happen.

2. Allow Collaborators to see active Drones (for the sake of RP and such).

3. Allow the two to communicate somehow so information can be relayed from Collaborators to Drones.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. LandOfTheFree

LandOfTheFree I'M A PATRIOTIC AMERICAN, THAT'S MY NATIONAL RIGHT
    TRP Admin

United States
    I agree with this and it's important for some of the collaborators that aren't wearing the vests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Grumpy

Grumpy Senior Member

I agree. I think having them as their own faction to the public will just cause problems for the near future. I also think they should see drones, but drones shouldn't see them unless of command status.

4. Rabid

Rabid Legend

Main reason I suggest all Drones is so we don't have cases of them being mown down on-site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. moogaloo

moogaloo The Schemer
    Paroxysm Admin

United Kingdom
    It's also simpler. There doesn't need to be a complete air of mystery around it imo. It makes collaboration harder.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  6. Rabid

Rabid Legend

It's not so much that as it is you could play an exceptionally smart individual and get dicked over because people looked at the scoreboard, and I can't imagine getting to the stage of being useful is something most will do so masses of them isn't an issue.

People subconciously metagame. It was a big issue for Intel on HL2RP for a long time when they tried anything because if it got leaked people would avoid them or find ways to persecute them even if it wasn't intentionally done.

7. adderall

adderall Legend

United States
    Still is, present tense.

• Zing Zing x 1
  8. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    TRP Admin

@Mother what's the deal with collaborators?

9. Mother

Mother Commander of the GAR
    TRP Admin

United States
    Collaborators are an odd thing introduced by our Lord and Savior, David Zara Brown III.

Essentially, the flag and vest kind of make them brainwashed cannon fodder or something similar. People want to RP sympathizers and people hardened enough to turn against their own race in the name of survival, and that's fine, we just don't have a hard-coded way of organizing them at this point in time.

It was kinda sprung on us and some of us really don't know what to do with it. I'll make a few suggestions and see if we can get some standardized here, but I'm a busy man and my senior research takes precedent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. _Vintricus

_Vintricus Legend

United States
    i still find the existence of "mind controlled" humans and other such shit with humans siding with skynet to be a very big detachment from terminator as a whole. the entire point of skynet is that they are the ultimate evil, something that cant be reasoned or negotiated with and that will not stop until every living human on earth is dead. to side with them as a human is to quite literally sign your own death warrant.

as for mind control, it wouldnt be as absurd if it wasnt such a cheap twist, an overpowered one at that; because if skynet can mind control humans to do their bidding, why kill them?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. scumbo

scumbo good natured
    TRP Admin

the flux capacitor
    doesnt make sense but it is dope

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Rabid

Rabid Legend

Collaborators have precedent in a fair bit of EU material for the Terminator series, such as novels and even the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

They generally did everything from rounding people up (early conflict) to teaching T-800's how to better mimic emotions for infiltration or even work on the synthetic skin, depending on the medium.

They weren't mind-controlled though.

13. Bishop

Bishop ceo of asshole industries

United States
    don't you fucking bring back to the future into this................

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Zombiedude101

Zombiedude101 Zealot

United Kingdom
    Some amendments to the rules regarding collaborators would be preferable too, it's getting rather annoying to be in the middle of RP when someone runs into Gun Nest/INSERTFOBHERE and S2Ks you as you're typing. Not all have been like this but a few examples (anyone who was present on Monday when I gave a vestie shit for the above will know what I mean) have proven to be troublesome - as much as Dave is trying to give people something to do we don't need a repeat of the baldries imo, too play to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RevivalAD

RevivalAD Senior Member

United States
    Well if I remember correctly, the human race was enslaved by SkyNet after the nukes until John Connor started gathering people up to fight back and then a huge movement happened and that's what formed the resistance. It's not very far fetched to think that a lot of people wouldn't have the balls to join Connor and go up against SkyNet given how hopeless their efforts would be. I mean terminators are stronger, faster, more precise, just about better than a human in almost every way possible. Not to mention they're mass produced at an incredibly fast rate. If I had a will to survive and I was up against a force like that, I might consider joining just to possibly save my own skin, praying that SkyNet would see me as an ally. Morals are tested when survival comes into play. I'd imagine these collaborators probably want the resistance to win, but they're too cowardly to stand up against SkyNet on their own.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. popo

popo Zealot

United States
    Here's the lore we use for the server. It diverges from any specific movie's timeline, and draws from a bit of T1, T2 and salvation.

https://www.taconbanana.com/threads/trp-timeline-lore-tbc.29435/

17. LandOfTheFree

TRP Admin

United States
    Want to bump this on this. Right now, vesties are pretty much forcing all people to RP within baseplate. Running around and immediately s2king anyone they come across. They don't follow the same benefit of a doubt when it comes to players crouching around or being prone. I even had one tell me they were out for the kill and sought s2k first hand. One could say that they should treat players case by case as to whether its s2k or not, and they should, but that isn't the case now. I'm not sure they patrol right now as much as go to heavy traffic areas and look for s2k.

18. Ober

Ober Zealot

United States
    What i've been seeing is too many new players being captured, who don't have a general feel for this type of rp yet, and having vests and flags slapped on them because they agreed to let their character become mind controlled.

What I think should happen:
    Make a official OOC roster for collabs- listed players will have a checklist saying whether or not they are mind controlled or not (most collabs are mind controlled for now, but I can see that changing in the future)
    Require at least a short auth request/ multiple admin approvals for future mind controls
    have a trial phase for their collaborator characters to determine whether or not they are able to roleplay the character effectively
    Have collaborator captures/PKs happen frequently to keep numbers down (assuming that there is a large number of them)

tl;dr: This should more or less be handled in a similar fashion to reprogramming terminators, just to limit the amount of collaborators getting flags, as well as keep the faction organized.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bishop

Bishop ceo of asshole industries

United States
    @Davebrown take a look, you made this. what've you got for fixing

20. Raklo

Raklo Legend

United States
    disclaimer, as someone who plays their collab often (i could be very wrong):
    collabs don't need to play dumb when you act retarded. they have the same capability of any human, though they're emotionally numbed and can have their decisions overruled by any skynet asset upwards of a 700 (or 600? maybe just any skynet asset lol). as such, expect to get your shit pushed in when you keep using the same tactics or get tunnel-visioned and flanked.

pertaining to the main discussion:
    collabs can contact drones if they have an uplink/transmitter, forget what it's called. basically the skynet radio item. they should definitely allow them to see drones on the scoreboard, though I'm reluctant to say they should be hidden for personal reasons.....

also please god @Davebrown give collabs guns that they spawn in w/ by default, if it can be done.

21. Zombiedude101

Zombiedude101 Zealot

United Kingdom
    As far as combat tactics to with vesties I don't have so much of a problem so long as they're not frequently outwitting 700 series drones - the problem I've actually had so far is examples such as what I mentioned above.

22. LandOfTheFree

TRP Admin

United States

You're totally missing the point here. I'm not talking about what they do ICly, I'm talking about the players that play the collaborators. I'm not even talking about when there's contact between TechComm and Skynet. I'm talking about when people are trying to go out and RP away from the base and collaborators are just running around looking for things to s2k. You're expecting people to RP through typing while an entity is running around shooting the first thing they see. Let's not forget how bad the engine is at letting people sneak around, or the fact that it takes some people minutes to have a shot conversation.

In fact, this is probably the mindset that I'm actually talking about. I'm bringing up an issue of people wanting to RP outside of baseplate, and you're talking about pushing shit in.

23. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    If colabs are s2king people rping that's bannable no? @admins

24. tommy shlug

tommy shlug jimmy flanagan 1985

United Kingdom
    if i see u s2king someone that's roleplaying you're going in the bin

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. Flower

Flower Jason Killer does not exist....
    TRP Admin

United States
    as a collaborator you should be s2ming upon first contact and then look for cover. my understanding is that the characters are allowed to fight like standard humans. once you have found cover and they have returned fire, and verified that it is s2k. by all means s2k; but don't fucking bumrush to try and rack up the most kills.

if people are obviously roleplaying, don't shoot at them. instead ask if you could initiate s2rp with them. that's so much better than just default s2king. furthermore, just because you die quicker than drones doesn't give you the right to mow down people without even giving them the chance. there has never been a server where that has been okay.

act like an asshole, get treated like an asshole

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  26. jumbo shrimp

jumbo shrimp Zealot

United States
    pending a thread being posted, we've got rules and organization for vests coming very soon (not sure in what capacity) so just hold on and see what happens. also submitted a few of these similar requests to the Big Boys™ to review

either way a core principle of the vest faction is just not being a dick, same standards as drones. dont randomly s2k people, dont deploy without a proper reason, dont be rude. follow these and try to roleplay as much as possible. we honestly at this point in tnb shouldnt have to teach you guys how to play nice. mistakes happen and thats obvious so a lot of our decisionmaking is case by case but obviously we can tell who randomly s2ks people at BP while theyre roleplaying and who plays by the rules

im gonna lock this because its just kind of an echo chamber, but for any additional information or input please pm or steam msg myself, nathan or hawkeye as we go about the process of looking at vests

• Friendly Friendly x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.