[SUGGESTION] Admin Updated Setting Description Screen

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by RevivalAD, Jan 13, 2019.

1. RevivalAD

RevivalAD Banned

United States
    Have a menu that admins can update and all players can reference from to help give players a better understanding of what's going on in the server. (Where we're located, notable events, etc.)

This menu could pop up every time a player joins the server, or it could be a button placed in the f3/f1 menus, however you guys want to do it. It would be VERY easy to implement. Admins would be able to pull open the box and modify it as needed.

I feel like I'm often cluelessly walking around when I first join and I have to either spam GOOC to figure out what's going on, or just RP being clueless when my character would have been around to witness events unfolding and would have an idea of the situation.

Most the time I don't even know what state we're in icly, trp doesn't really seem to have a coherent plot right now, and I think this would really help.

A custom TRP joining screen would be cool too, would be even better if that could somehow be updated with the current situation so we can at least have something to read while we load in. :)

I will donate for this.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #1 RevivalAD, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. wester

wester Kiruclanz 2.0

Canada
    we already an MOTD menu that can be used for this, and is used for context on phl2. we don't need another feature for this, really.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Scone !

Scone ! I am not a bot

India
    That MOTD is only updated with changelogs to the script?

Can TRP admins even change the MOTD?

4. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    The MOTD is a text file included with the script, the reason why it's being used for story stuff on PHL2 is because Bennet's got access to update that file.

5. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.
    TRP Admin

United States
    If regular admins could edit it and not devs, then it'd be amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. posepsi

posepsi actually el pepso

United States
    I remember asking for this years ago... The idea is to have a sort of 'previously on TRP' sort of thing. Tech-com has been chased underground and is low on supplies and are waiting for a chance to strike. Sgt. Vinter has been assassinated by reavers. That sort of thing which would be common knowledge to characters.

It would also be neat to have it keep a dynamic list of the last x number of /evs to establish some context if you joined into the middle of an artillery bombardment or something.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. RevivalAD

RevivalAD Banned

United States
    I imagine it working in the same way editing your character description works, except it would be accessible by all admins for editing, and then non-admins could reference it with either a hotkey or a button on their f3 or f1 menu, as well as have it automatically open when people join.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chad

TRP Admin

United States
    idk if every admin should have access to it considering there's already issues with hasty map changes and confusing the playerbase.

but more than just devs would be helpful considering trp doesn't have have the luxury of bennet being involved as much as he is over at hl2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. scumbo

scumbo good natured

things like that are complicated to implement, at least as far as tapping into the standard MOTD system

we could however make something that links to the forums or vice versa - either way, this is a sensible request

10. pvt. bing 'b' bing?

pvt. bing 'b' bing? sopping wet
    TRP Admin

United States
    Deadeye will not be allowed to access it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Drewerth

Drewerth nothing stops MY roleplay

United States
    Even if it's a text file you could probably whip up a little tidbit that just make it so flagged admins can work up a quick edit to be saved with file.Write, or into a little sqlite db.

Hell, I'd do it and post the Lua file but I'm willing to bet that code has been deviated from the base CC code as well.