Content TnB Content Packs

OK, I downloaded this and then shortly afterwards when I tried to start gmod, it wouldn't start until the next patch came out, any ideas as to what I did wrong?

Duplicate headers received from server
The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.
Error 349 (net::ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_MULTIPLE_CONTENT_DISPOSITION): Multiple Content-Disposition headers received. This is disallowed to protect against HTTP response splitting attacks.

This is what I get when I try to download the packs from filefront, shite.

I am getting the header error aswell, are there any other mirrors in any other file server?

Thanks!

EDIT: In order to "fix" the Header Error, just use another browser to download.

Shisno said:
For the love of god, why isn't an SVN just set up?

For the love of god, we've had thread after thread about this. The answer is, has and always will be that that is a waste of time and a misuse of the software. SVN is a version control system for frequently-updated material such as scripts or source files, not a download button for lazy people. End of story.

What we need is an actual honest-to-god fastdl with appropriate file compression, and then you'd never have to deal with this "megapack" bullshit again, but like hell is anyone gonna bother to set it up.

Shisno said:
How is it a waste of time, when it'd be something in between a good fastdl, and the mega pack?

See, the new guy understands. Downloading three megapacks discourages people, not downloading one thing and allowing it to autoconfigure to garrysmod.

The new guy doesn't understand what SVN is and isn't. Is downloading and installing extra software just so you can download 2 gibs of content somehow going to be less discouraging than just... downloading the content? On a properly-configured fastDL you could probably download all of TnB's shit in half an hour. Including the map. Even at relatively slow download speeds. And that's just a rough estimate based on the combined sizes of my models and materials folders.

But then again, nobody's going to go to the trouble of setting up an SVN repository (even if this were an appropriate use of the software) or a fastDL, for much the same reason as why we're still using server hardware from the mid-1960s, so it's not even a moot point.

Steve said:
On a properly-configured fastDL you could probably download all of TnB's shit in half an hour. Including the map. Even at relatively slow download speeds. And that's just a rough estimate based on the combined sizes of my models and materials folders.
With an SVN you don't have to sit in Garrysmod while the files download to your computer, with an SVN it'll add any new file within the second that its added to a directory, not only that but with an SVN updates can be reversed, so if there's a screw up it can be easily undone by an administrator. Not only that, but to the players it makes it easy what actually went into the megapack build once uploaded to its repository. Let's say a TacoScript developer wants the other developers/Playtesters to look into something, that developer, with the administrators
permission, can create a branch in the SVN specifically for that, with no problem what so-ever. And allow the group of people he's added to that branch
to specifically download those files for TacoScript.

With FastDl you have to be in the game and you pretty much have to download files everytime you join, I see no benefit to that, I think its incredibly dumb, you think having to configure a file path to a specific area and never having to do it again is rediculous?

I think having to sit in Garrysmod for 30 minutes downloading 300 files is pretty dumb.
I think having to download this damn pack over again each update is incredibly stupid.
I think we need to get out of the stone age, and upgrade our technology. The FTP can be set as the SVN repository, there is no issue with that, at all.

I have used SVN for every mod playtest I've done, and I still use it, to this very day.

Let's say a TacoScript developer wants the other developers/Playtesters to look into something, that developer, with the administrators permission, can create a branch in the SVN specifically for that, with no problem what so-ever.
Sure. A branch of the script itself. A handful of files that will be updated frequently and where having the latest version of any given file is critical. Not static content that will be downloaded once and never modified. It's called "Apache Subversion," not "Apache Lazy Download Button".

And no, you do not have to download files "every time you join." I haven't had to download more than 10 new files in the past month or so. Which brings up an interesting point: you complain about having to sit in Gmod to download files, but I can tell you it's even more irritating to join the game, see purple models, and have to quit the game, find my Garrysmod addons folder, update it, and then start Gmod again. And with a properly-configured fastDL, you wouldn't have to download gigantic .rars over and over again, either.

Steve said:
Sure. A branch of the script itself.

No, theres the main repository, and you can make a secondary branch to add multiple files to it.

A handful of files that will be updated frequently and where having the latest version of a file is crucial. Not static content that will be downloaded and never modified. It's called "Apache Subversion," not "Apache Lazy Download Button".

Where are you getting your information from?

No, you do not have to download files "every time you join." I haven't had to download more than 10 new files in the past month or so. Which brings up an interesting point: you complain about having to sit in Gmod to download files, but I can tell you it's even more irritating to join the game, see purple models, and have to quit the game, find my Garrysmod addons folder, update it, and then start Gmod again.

With an SVN you don't have to do that either, its completely automatic, whether or not you're in game, or out of game. You only have to configure it once.

And with a properly-configured fastDL, you wouldn't have to download gigantic .rars over and over again, either.

No, but while downloading them you have to sit in garrysmod until its finished, and if something fucks up you have to go back and remove it manually, not only that but you can't make branches off fastdl, everything has to go to the players whether you like it or not, unless you give it to them through filefront.

The SVN optimizes the communities files into one program and allows them to download them as they come.
FastDL, you still have to sit in garrysmod, the developers still have to upload to third party websites or the FTP and get their files off there.
You're still splitting the communities ability to download into two to three, or even four different ways, its unorganized and messy.

I'm well aware of how SVN works. It's for source code and scripting, not for Garry's Mod content. It is not for content. If you want to give a software engineer an aneurysm from laughter, just tell him you want to use a software version control system to serve multimedia.

Instructing people to download, install and configure TortoiseSVN and SVN Notify or something, just to play on a video game server, is not simpler than bz2'ing everything in the content pack and throwing it on the game server, especially if you're going to have to do the latter anyway in one form or another.

But hey, at least we'll have the latest subversion of Zara Kane's l_pupil.vtf, and that's what makes it all worth it, right?

FastDL, you still have to sit in garrysmod, the developers still have to upload to third party websites or the FTP and get their files off there. You're still splitting the communities ability to download into two to three, or even four different ways, its unorganized and messy.
Oh, come on, fastDL is not that hard to understand. Upload a couple files to the server, add a couple of AddFile('models/male_83_lasereyes.mdl')s to resources.lua, update the Lua cache. Done. Five minutes of work from the devs, no work on the user's part. It is not difficult.

Steve said:
I'm well aware of how SVN works. It's for source code and scripting, not for Garry's Mod content. It is not for content. If you want to give a software engineer an aneurysm from laughter, just tell him you want to use a software version control system to serve multimedia.

Obviously not if you believe that at all.
You're not familiar with Gmodtower?
Perhaps Desura?

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Svn

Desura is an online mod/indie platform that works hand and hand with steam and completely relies on SVN to update and provide new content to the games people are working on.

Anything, ANYTHING you can fit in a online repository, it can go through the SVN.

Users who are viewing this thread