Post your RP [TRIGGERS]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Symmetry, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Gunnerstrip7

Gunnerstrip7 Warrior of Sunlight

United States
    We all start somewhere. The fact that you're here and seem to be taking the criticism in good humor is a promising sign. Learn, improve. It's what we all did, even if many of us would rather not remember how we were all once cringe-worthy script kiddies of some form or another.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. [W-G] WorldSpawn

[W-G] WorldSpawn Junior Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah I remember when I first played dayzrp and scprp I was very...well weird but yeah I am learning to adapt on terminator rp

#1082 [W-G] WorldSpawn, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM
  3. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
    Also I forgot to mention when I made a character you have to do your status and all. My character's strength is high...

Which means before she lost her memories, she may had a job or something.

Also never underestimate drawfisms xD

^ a humour. Don't worry lol.

#1083 [W-G] WorldSpawn, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 12:22 PM
  4. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    I'm still worried WorldSpawn

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
  6. ClearlyInvsible

United States
    Always be worried. That way you can lie to yourself later and say you weren't disappointed.

7. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
  8. Greene

Greene space cowboy

United States
    Stats dont matter bud

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
    Well if it's related to rp then it should? Or well then with amnesiac character it'll be revealed what she does once she regain memories. Right?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. sneezing slug

sneezing slug mucus mutant

I think the original intention of the stats was never meant to be a literal game mechanic but rather something new roleplayers can use to assert the physical capabilities of their character in a literal point system, though sadly no new player has ever used it like that save maybe worldspawn here.

So I'd generally echo Greene in that they shouldn't be a foundation for making your character but you are free to and more than welcome to use it as a way to guide your character's physical attributes in roleplay.

11. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
    Well, I would use it for the future of roleplaying, as doing an amnesiac character, she wouldn't remember what she did before all present. But yes I would use it for RP related.
    Maybe we can talk in PM other than here to flood up the posts?

12. The General [2FA]

The General [2FA] Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Stats aren't something I'd worry about when it comes to roleplay. If you want to create a new character with a specific trait in mind then you could set your stats to reflect this. Overall I wouldn't worry about it too much. People are more likely to ridicule your character's attitude and emotes rather than your in-game stats. Unless you're fatass that can't run.

13. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
    Hahaha, nah she can run. Just not that well right now with being amnesiac. I mean I did that she tried to run...and fell on the floor by tripping on either something or her own foot at one point.

14. sneezing slug

Yea, this is ideal, though I'm just saying don't be afraid to use the stats to help guide an idea of how your character is portrayed in roleplay. It's not an awful place to start.

15. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
    I tried to, but see how that turn out. Lmao

Whoever is saying about me, I ain't salty or anything like that. Everyone has gone through that so, it's my turn now...I guess?

16. sneezing slug

This is a really big one and I'm even guilty of it too. Most of my editor's corrections were these errors when I sent in my book's first draft and it's part of why I've been putting off the revision for so long (the other part is that i just want to write HL2.......).

Mixing tenses. ie: He drank from the bottled and passes it. He drinks from the bottle and passed it.

It's a peeve that I don't find myself really going out of my way to correct other people for because even I am just awful at it. I usually post an IC thread and then the next day I'll go over it to fix all the tenses that I fucked up.

It's probably because I learned how to write largely through roleplay and its very common in RP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #1096 sneezing slug, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 5:22 AM
  17. Raklo

Raklo Legend

United States
    honestly, playing an amnesiac is a pretty generic approach to characters that most new ppl take just cause its an automatic, "interesting" plot device but really it usually rubs off as poor rp. id personally recommend moving on from it and just playing a "normal" character and learning from that rather than trying to tackle such a complex issue right off the bat

18. Chad

TRP Admin

United States
    u peeve me off mox

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. sneezing slug

Yea @[W-G] WorldSpawn mental illness is a very very complex issue and even the most seasoned of roleplayers usually can't bite into it well. I certainly try to avoid it if I can myself.

I've rarely ever seen it done in a way that's simultaneously accurate, tasteful and believable.

e; And it's not to say that I don't welcome people to try and explore new themes and new character traits but I highly advise that you take the utmost care into doing research into the mental illness/disability that you've chosen to portray in your roleplay after you've settled into your shoes as a writer.

If you're still hard set that an amnesiac character is how you want to go, allow me to advise some cursory reading that may help you:

CREATING REALISTIC AND RIVETING AMNESIC CHARACTERS

Remember, Remember: The Basics of Writing Amnesia
    How to write a book about an amnesia patient properly?

These are generally for story-writing but they're still somewhat applicable to portraying the theme in roleplay.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go about it. I hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #1099 sneezing slug, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:25 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 5:37 AM
  20. Chad

TRP Admin

United States
    remember remember the fifth of November

21. sneezing slug

we r anonymus

we donut forgive
    we donut forget

expect us...........................................

22. Chad

TRP Admin

United States

parry this u fucking. causal

23. The General [2FA]

United Kingdom
    /me would pull the trigger.
    /me would execute the man.
    /me would go to sleep.

That's it. Just the word "would" at the start of an emote. Instead of why they would instead of just doing the action is beyond me. Common mistake I used to make many years ago on other servers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  24. The General [2FA]

United Kingdom
    Sorry I can't speak England very well.

25. nec

nec lemondog

Australia
    putting in the time to research mental illness(es) and how they might affect your character can certainly pay off in the end and reward you with a character with more dynamics than the average joe, but it's usually too much time spent reading articles and watching youtube videos that new_player#7218 would rather spend just rping, which is why we end up with a plethora of low effort corny iM iNsAnE-type characters

• Agree Agree x 6
  26. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    It irks me really bad when @Puffin makes those thic ERP baits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. War Machine

War Machine THE IRON BANK

(2:00 for snip)

I actually do this more than I /would/ like to admit but I can agree that it is a trigger, and I do it a lot. Gonna fix that as of now.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  28. [W-G] WorldSpawn

United Kingdom
    I did some research on it since I did amnesiac character on SCP-RP when was captured by SCP Foundation and a HOEA (head of external affairs) used class f or s anesthetic on my character while converted as omega 12.

But like I said it's different to other rps. So yeah.

I can provide link what/who is HOEA is, I don't think you know much about SCP Containment Breach lol

• ...what? ...what? x 1
    #1108 [W-G] WorldSpawn, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 9:41 AM
  29. Malum Umbra

TRP Admin

Canada
    I know that I talked with someone who had lost a leg in a motorcycle accident to try and accurately portray prosthetic, in both their construction and usage. Think that people should stick to areas they want to research or have the ability to know a good deal about.

So I guess, kinda like self-insert characters, but not the kind that are power fantasies, and more about their life knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Gunnerstrip7

Gunnerstrip7 Warrior of Sunlight

United States
    I must admit I am planning on perhaps playing a Sociopathic character in the CCA or CA, but there is a grave misunderstanding of Sociopathy and I've done a great deal of research on it. People get Sociopaths and Psychopaths confused, and you're sure to find a high volume of Sociopaths in a place like the CCA that rewards cunning planning and ruthless action.

• Agree Agree x 3
  31. Kiako

Kiako New Blood

United States
    People who wear gas masks 24/7.

Four clapping hands out of five, for sure.

• Agree Agree x 6
  32. The General [2FA]

United Kingdom
    I've got to agree on that one. We all get the fact that gas masks make you look mysterious and scary. But it's also laughable to be wearing one without any real purpose other than to look cool. There aren't many advantages to wearing it constantly as it doesn't provide any protection or allow great visibility. There is only two benefits I can think of to wearing one. That is obscuring your identity and not getting gassed.

Other than that I don't really see many reasons for wearing one. It's not a common sight I'll admit but on other servers you'll be surprised.

• Agree Agree x 2
  33. Raklo

Raklo Legend

United States
    cutesty characters, they don’t belong in any of our settings.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  34. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    its very jarring to see this shit

• Agree Agree x 2
  35. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    ~

• Funny Funny x 1
  36. Newticus

Newticus (★★☆☆☆)

United States
    People who don't view roleplay as a collaborative effort or naturally assume that people are out to get them.
    The latter is a pretty damaging line of thinking. Assuming that everyone is just trying to "win" or do some demonstrable harm to you personally is not a healthy habit. I find that these people are usually just projecting and looking for a reason to justify their powergame or resistance to defeat.

People who don't view roleplay as a collaborative effort are the other side of that coin. If the only way you can think of progressing your character's story is at the direct expense of another person's experience, you need to reconsider where you're going. These people want to seem badass/psychotic/whatever, so they purposefully spike your roleplay to make their character look cool. Often times people do this to give their character's actions some artificial weight by tacking on a character's death. It's perfectly fine to have conflict and win or even desire to win, but you have to remember that you're roleplaying with someone, not against them. There's almost always a way for a situation to go in which both characters achieve development from it. Strive for that.

Also, incredibly personal pet peeve. Getting called out for not doing a proper accent on the character, but when you do the proper accent people just say "wow i can't read this fuck off" and then walk away.

• Agree Agree x 9
  37. nec

nec lemondog

Australia
    most of the cutesy characters i've seen mostly just resemble the closest thing possible the player can get to a child character without actually being called out on it

• Agree Agree x 3
  38. Bennet Dyson

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator

Ireland
    58572 was a cutesy character

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  39. ClearlyInvsible

United States
    The only remotely cutesy character I remember from the last iteration got a bullet to the back of the head from IA.

• Funny Funny x 2
  40. BMY

BMY Legend

United States
    What do u have against lloyd...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1