Post your RP [TRIGGERS]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Symmetry, Apr 22, 2016.

1. blubaugh?

blubaugh? Legend

United States
    i do what I can to get around it by approaching characters as tools or, more appropriately, lenses rather than people. my personal goal is to explore a concept that I’m familiar with through a different way of being in the world

it’s kind of hard to explain since it’s an intuitive sort of thing but authentically constructing a character by taking into account what’s real life experiences create similar people to that character forces a certain amount of distance already. at the very least that works for me

thinking of rp as a character centric thing is valid i suppose but thinking of it more as an interaction centric one may be really beneficial to overcoming some of my biggest pet peeves

like the character should serve the interaction first, and then the interaction should serve to change the character

or to put it simply as a goal statement

ask not what the situation can do for your character, but what your character can do for the situation

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chiss

Chiss Senior Member

Canada
    no

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    I don't feel a microgram of pity for people who get made fun of for only playing a certain type of character all the time or only playing the extremes of the human spectrum

None of it makes your character special

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. kingryan

kingryan Legend

United States
    memes in descriptions
    5/5

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Symmetry

Symmetry Kwisatz Haderach

Canada
    People's failure to understand this is the root of like 90% of the problems with RP at TnB.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. A Blaze of Glory

A Blaze of Glory Subtlety is overrated.
    Contributor

United States
    Take it back.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Drewerth

Drewerth nothing stops MY roleplay

United States
    When the Charlie vs Bravo drama is so bad that it's practically toxic on an IC and OOC level and it makes it hard to enjoy the server. So many IC issues turned into OOC ones. So many OOC ones turn IC.

5/5

:(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. sneezing slug

sneezing slug mucus mutant

[​IMG]

not here, drew

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    #848 sneezing slug, May 16, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 6:18 AM
  9. Drewerth

Drewerth nothing stops MY roleplay

United States
    Except it isn't. It's a serious problem that needs addressing.

• Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1
  10. sneezing slug

Needs to be addressed? Sure.

On this thread? No.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
  11. shinzokk

TRP Admin

United States
    this is the rp triggers thread m8... stop making a problem fellas

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    when everyone in your squad is a 6'2 lesbian sniper ; _ ;

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    #852 Nat Attack, May 16, 2019 at 6:36 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 7:05 AM
  13. Malum Umbra

TRP Admin

Canada
    *The plate takes the 60 watt, as my own 60 watt melts the 800's head in 2 shots*

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Robe

Robe some fucking pog fuck

United States
    you know who you are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. posepsi

posepsi actually el pepso

United States
    when u flag skynet and find urself in the middle of an angry tirade from a skynet main player about how terrible techcom players are and how much they want to kill them

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. sneezing slug

the amount of times I've seen this, god.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Greene

Greene space cowboy

United States
    When I'm trying to provide good s2k experiences but humans just keep running right up to me so I kill them

what are you nerds expecting to happen, stop fucking doing it

5/5

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  18. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
    what goes ON in trp?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. sneezing slug

I'm trying to think of an HL2 parallel.

You know when cop mains would go off in ROOC because rebels were supposedly being too slippery in the city? That.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    This, but then a few vocal people complain when the big scary machines that is purpose built to kill people killed them.

21. Annoying Rooster

United States
    Sometimes whenever a major roleplay event happens it feels like most players get sidelined while the "important" characters do the heavy lifting in HL2. It's easy to understand that admins have a lot on their plate to manage the scenario, but it still makes me scream when I deliberately put myself in a situation just to be denied the chance for character development.

Granted it doesn't happen often as now, but it still occurs.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. sneezing slug

Not just an HL2 thing. I certainly loved getting told to go S2K bots outside while a small group of characters got to do real roleplay inside of the submarine in that one event on TRP.

It's pretty much a gmod staple.

• Agree Agree x 5
  23. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
    maybe it’s the inner cop main in me but 85% of the time, the complaining was justified but was quickly stopped after they had their piece and was moved on. i didn’t see any cops say “KILL ALL REBELS 67476733x99 BODIES” oocly at spawn cause an admin would’ve murked them

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. sneezing slug

literally skynet radio

25. BMY

BMY Legend

United States
    People who don't have the courtesy to type properly IC (I'm looking at like 4 regulars)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  26. Chad

TRP Admin

United States
    people who pretend to be afk so they don’t have to interact with your character but 5 seconds later they shitpost in gooc and walk off aimlessly to another corner

• Agree Agree x 5
    • #shotsfired #shotsfired x 1
  27. The Red Menace

Contributor

United States
  28. Chad

TRP Admin

United States
    "grrr i hate it when people don't roleplay at the standard i've established

i must only be surrounded by brains as wrinkled as mine"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  29. Robe

Robe some fucking pog fuck

United States
    this is why we shouldn't mix s2k and s2rp scenarios. it muddles up the whole thing, establish a precedent beforehand and expect better results for both parties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Chiss

Chiss Senior Member

Canada
    i would honestly be okay with setting a cap on the amount of people allowed to s2rp. 6 characters max, or something of the sort - if the limit is exceeded, it's automatic s2k. it makes it hard for people to read through how many emotes are coming at them when everyone's doing 4-liners to shoot a gun

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  31. A Blaze of Glory

A Blaze of Glory Subtlety is overrated.
    Contributor

United States
    "Group emotes? What do you mean group emotes? I'm special and I have to do my thing!"
    Repeat for every involved individual.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  32. Klacer

Klacer Zealot

Canada
    When you're rping and then Scousers there.

5/5 hands

• Agree Agree x 5
  33. Symmetry

Canada
    I don't really buy this, those people "told" to sit outside are perfectly capable of writing their own story there. With a bit of creativity and initiative, even prescribed and mundane situations can be made interesting.

Really, the problem is that people expect so much to be spoonfed, that when it isn't their turn they get upset. Nothing is stopping anyone from writing their own narrative, and in fact it's that type of initiative that leads to popular plot developments to begin with. They aren't all admin-driven.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  34. sneezing slug

If people wanted to passive-rp or write their own story and make the most out of a mundane situation, they would probably do it in their own abodes, not while they're attending an event that's hyped to be really cool and intriguing to attendees.

• Agree Agree x 5
  35. Symmetry

Canada
    Passive RP is a meaningless term. You write your own characters' stories, and every interaction should have the same weight as others. Events are only a backdrop. If it seems lackluster or dissatisfying, the problem is with you, not the event coordinator - there's no point looking on jealously at the development other characters are getting because every event is contextualised differently by every character participating. Encouraging equal participation for all characters only leads to railroady gunblob events, which frankly, only stifle creativity and nuance.

Player initiative can drastically alter events, and it's usually appreciated and admired by the event coordinators.

#875 Symmetry, May 17, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 7:39 AM
  36. sneezing slug

This is kind of an old vs. new generation clash as far as roleplay is concerned because most current era roleplayers aren't used to creating their own narratives beyond their own characters (or sometimes, the player's own) wants/needs/desires/ambitions/etc. @blubaugh? was pretty accurate with the "ask not what the situation can do for your character, but what your character can do for the situation" part, in that a lot of people see events and roleplay at large as the first part and not the latter part unfortunately. I'm sure you and I are more than capable of creating our own stories from little more than nothing, but that's not the status quo.

And the event I referred to in specific also wasn't really a good place to try and sit down and create your own narrative since if you weren't inside doing the intriguing roleplay you were stuck in endless waves of S2K shot-botting, but I suppose that's the part where TRP differentiates from HL2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  37. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Sym, if you're not included in that small group then largely your character is physically being left out of that part of the scenario because you're in a different part of the map completely. You can't actively alter events if you're not physically present for them, and even if you were, in a gamemode like TRP if you start acting out against command, thanks to the milsim aspect, you're more than likely going to have your shit kicked in and not given that opportunity again.

Sure, on your own you can initiate situations with other people but TnB is a collaborative writing studio. If the other people you are involved with are unwilling or unable to generate on-the-spot narrative decisions then you're screwed because if you do something that the others view as out of turn you're going to be met with a litany of LOOC jabbering about how you're retarded and should wait for the admins to say something instead of doing your own thing. Sure it doesn't really matter what they say, but if they're unwilling to work with you then you're just going to be roleplaying with yourself and that's not very interesting at all.

38. Symmetry

Canada
    Sounds like a problem with the community then.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  39. Scouser

Scouser Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I came back after being banned from TnB for several years, knew like 3 actively played characters when I returned, and within weeks I was getting very much involved in the meat of big events (albeit during the Uprising where it was probably easier).

Sure yeah you can't really do much about the TRP milsim aspect but moreso whenever this complaint was levelled against HL2RP I always got a little confused because I can't speak to this experience... ever. I didn't participate in every event that ever happened or anything but if I wanted to be involved I just sorta RPed. Maybe it's a product of me being on the server during the cold eventless weekdays? Idk wish I could give you any advice except 'just ask to be involved'.

40. Rabid

Rabid Legend

TRP specifically:

Being told you are playing a threatening antagonist only to be shamed and shit on in OOC by TC players when you actually try and live up to that because you didn't just walk into their guns like a retard and actually used your BIG ROBOT BRAIN to make them go "Oh balls" via pressuring or flanking them.

Also someone already mentioned it before but those wonderful emotes where it boils down to "/ME QUICKSCOPES ROBOT IN FACE AND IT DIES DESPITE IT RUNNING WHILE ITS SHOT ONLY GRAZES ME."

Its fucking boring, stop doing it. I'm already hoofing it across the map because I'm not allowed to actually maim anyone please don't try and murk me for the sixth time that day in one emote to show off how cool you are.

• Agree Agree x 3