Post your RP [TRIGGERS]

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Symmetry, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Symmetry

Symmetry Kwisatz Haderach

Canada
    We all have them. Those things you encounter on server that make you want to hide in the safety of your elitist hugbox. Those deplorable habits in other players that make you cringe.

Here's the thread to air out some dirty laundry, and post about what bugs you on-server. Please keep the examples fairly general and not specific to certain players or groups, we wouldn't want anyone getting OFFENDED around here.

I'll start:

1. People who type emotes in the past tense. Don't do this. I understand that sometimes it can be more pleasant to read actions in the past tense, such as they're usually done in novels, and that this might be some sort of deranged appeal to "properness". But regardless, the action on the servers occurs very solidly in the PRESENT tense, and as such most players type their emotes in present tense. This is the biggest reason that it bugs me, in that typing in past tense is deliberately going against a well established status quo, and makes the chatbox messy and hard to follow. Don't step on other people's toes just because you have a preference to do it one way. It's rude as fuck, and triggers me hard.

THREE CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Characters w-who s-s-speak l-like this... i-in some b-buh-b-braindead attempt t-to s-seem v-v-vulnerable and... Just fucking stop. Mild stuttering CAN add a small dose of nervous flavour to a character's dialogue, but when it's done with the (often creepy) purpose of playing a helpless waif, it's only awkward and cringey. If you really must play this sort of character (we all know the type) you're better off putting an ounce of effort into the way the character acts through emotes, rather than obnoxiously hamming it up.

TWO CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Adding tildes to the end of your character's dialogue to appear "cute" or singsongy~. Fuck. That. It's lazy for the same reasons mentioned in #2, but with the added embrassment of being overly saccharine with the intention of presenting a perverted image of childish feminity. Don't do it.

FIVE CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE. TRIGGERED.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Characters who use twitter slang or memes. I don't give a fuck if the setting is "modern". This is a tacky and shitty thing to do in any situation. You're not funny, you're not contributing anything meaningful, and if anything, all you're doing is exposing your character as an idiotic avatar. If I'm an admin on the server you're playing on and you do this, your stupid ass is getting banned with extreme prejudice, "fam".

5. 6'7" | Muscular | Athletic | Probably Italian

Fuck you and your shitty cardboard cutouts. Your character is trash, and you're trash.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. People who are extremely specific about the type of weapon or bullet caliber their character is using in emotes, to the point of cringing pedantry. No, it REALLY doesn't matter exactly what type of weapon your character is using in a given situation. Writing efficiently is about telling the reader what they need to know in the situation, and believe it or not, it's not necessary to expound on your stupid gun fetish when you're explaining that a weapon is being pointed, or even in some particularly bad cases simply held in the character's hands. This kind of writing is alienating to players who don't (and rightfully shouldn't) care about the exact specifics of the item being used, and only serves to show others that all you really give a shit about is guns. Imagine if we did this for the other implements our characters use:

Pretty stupid, isn't it? Bonus points if the emotes are totally bland too, and lack proper formatting or punctuation.

FOUR CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'll be appending more items to this list as I think of them. Meanwhile, go ahead and post em.

[​IMG]
    [pictured: me playing on a tnb server at most given moments]​

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
  2. valerstein

valerstein RANDAL

i should've listened to the title warning

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KestrelBirdMan

KestrelBirdMan Those who live in glass houses...

United States
    When people walk up into the middle of intense moments and actual roleplay and say something so incredibly stupid that the immersion is just fucking destroyed.

I.E. A characters emotional death being ruined by a random coming up and asking where a store is.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. toastmatic

toastmatic paranoid and delusional

Would/seemingly. Teamspeak metagame.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Symmetry

Canada
    Forgot about this one. Literally shaking as I type this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nose Pickler

Nose Pickler Legend

United States
    [Symmetry has made a new topic]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Vorti

Vorti monolith internet defense force

United States
    When Symmetry says you and him should finish this roleplay later, but he doesn't mean it.

It's kind of the same feeling as rolling over in the morning to the empty space where your one night stand left about an hour ago without a word.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Symmetry

Canada
    You have to say how many clapping hands out of five that it triggers you, Vorti.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Vorti

Vorti monolith internet defense force

United States
  10. Smiffy Bagels

Smiffy Bagels cisphobic

United States
    Enterprising in an austere dystopian/apocalyptic city/wasteland.

Spuriously contrived military backgrounds used only as an excuse to roleplay a martially capable character.

Characters being familiar with a setting and all its trappings within moments of arrival.

Not using a tilde when you clearly intend to typefuck me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Ghost

Ghost yuge guy

i do past tense all the time

12. toastmatic

Extraneous verbosity being confused with good roleplay.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Smiffy Bagels

Smiffy Bagels cisphobic

United States
    People refusing to roleplay with you out of intimidation/perceived inadequacy or worse just on the principle that your vocabulary is too big and so you're a tool.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. kiruclanz

kiruclanz Legend

United States
    1. as most of you know 'script-culture' triggers me 5/5 hands. destroy the scriptriarchy.

FIVE CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE

2. as smiffy said, people making all their characters master veterans of whatever setting theyre in

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. when people make their characters white knights not because of their character's morals but because it makes their characters 'unique'

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. FUCKING TWO-PERIOD ELLIPSES EVERY FUCKING TIME I SEE SOMEONE USE TWO PERIODS FOR AN ELLIPSES INSTEAD OF THREE OR AT THE END OF A SENTENCE, FOUR, I GET SUPER FUCKING TIRGGERED BECAUSE IT'S BASIC FUCKING ENGLISH THAT HAS MADE ITS WAY INTO MEDIA AND HAS STAYED THAT WAY. TAKE YOUR TWO PERIODS AND SHOVE THEM UP YOUR FUCKING RECTAL CAVITY

THIRTY FUCKING CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. Symmetry

Canada
    Someone please get kiru to a safe space.

16. kiruclanz

kiruclanz Legend

United States
    it's okay i'm calm now

just please ban everyone who uses two period ellipses

thank you

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. brim

brim another nana disappeared

United Kingdom
    roleplaying with people who are constantly using LOOC

• Agree Agree x 9
  18. Loser

Loser Kink Doctor

Canada
    hey there~

19. Zippo Raid

Zippo Raid OUTTA' LUCK, OUTTA' SIGHT, TURN THE FUCK OFF THE H

United States
    RPing a fistfight

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Ron_Paul

Ron_Paul Zealot

United States
    rping a gunfight

• Agree Agree x 7
  21. Zippo Raid

Zippo Raid OUTTA' LUCK, OUTTA' SIGHT, TURN THE FUCK OFF THE H

United States
    When people get genuinely upset OOC over something happening to their character

[​IMG]

22. nec

nec lemondog

Australia
    rping

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Loser

Loser Kink Doctor

Canada
    /me medigels

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. nec

nec lemondog

Australia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMf61rCFfg
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. toastmatic

and yet we still wont rp with each other

26. Fuzzy Wolfy

Fuzzy Wolfy The 'good' cop

Canada
    1. People who role play characters that frequently and openly indulges in a variety of drug related activity, but role play the effects identically with a lack of any awareness as to what certain narcotics do or how they function. Typically coupled with their effects only lasting a few minutes at most - or as long as the passive stoner talk lasts, despite every emote containing one or two extra consuming acts such as taking a drag from a joint/bong or taking extra pills (typically ecstasy).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. People who use multiple exclamation marks to punctuate a single sentence.

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Smiffy Bagels

Smiffy Bagels cisphobic

United States
    Well not for lack of trying.

28. Decaro

Decaro smegma stink

United States
    rping with someone for the first time then they say [LOOC] sec and disappear
    without any console logs

OH FUCK ME THIS IS A FUCKING ADMIN, SHIIIIIIT

then they come back and just assume i can keep rping in the same exact state of mind i was a few moments ago

goddamn admins thinking theyre roleplayers. shut up and create an event for me or reward me with script items for gracing your worthless life

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  29. Echoes

Echoes porridge

United States
    i tried to rp with sym once on 12000

two minutes in

"sorry i gotta go to bed"

five claps out of five

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. shotcopper 9000

shotcopper 9000 Dead Soul

Australia
    "Fancy" formatting (or horrifically long bullet-point lists) in character description.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Obvious ERP bait descriptions, especially using absurdly specific or airy descriptions of irrelevant shit.

Basically 90% of RP involving weapons of any sort.

Unflappable characters who aren't afraid of anything and will gun down any threat without ever losing their cool.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Waiting half a day to connect to the server because it's so bloated with garbage, 90% of said garbage being (atrocious) SWEPs.

Basically,

TRYING TO RP ON GARRY'S MOD

jesus FUCKIN christ

• Agree Agree x 4
  31. Massie

Massie Senior Member

Germany
    Waiting a minute for someone (Typing...) only to see a huge paragraph in OOC chat, followed by a 3-word-emote IC.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

When you're held at gunpoint out in the open and some Anorak lolsprints up to the scene, about to shoot someone in the head with his Echo Detector, looks at you for 3 seconds and then lolsprints away to the next anomaly without comment.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That one uninvolved person who tries to backseat and complain in LOOC for other people during rp, despite everyone else being fine to stick IC. Really, just shut the f*ck up.

32. knife_cz

knife_cz New Blood

Czech Republic
    /me would
    -you- as in TnB spreaded this incredible garbage across all RP in Garrysmod, I don't know who exactly started it, but you spread it everywhere.
    When I see somewhere "/me would sit on the chair" I'm about to murder. Do you expect the chair to resist? Do you expect someone in the bar suddenly starting shit by running over and pulling it under you, despite nobody being around?

literally triggered

Unnecessary LOOC is also awful.

Incapable Admins who suggest silly solutions like completly restarting the RP or banning both people, whatever reasoning that even is.

People that self-insert themselves into their characters all the time, even when given some role in event. Basically people that aren't playing roles but themselves.

Roleplaying drinking alcohol and passing out/acting completly drunk after third beer.

Thinking that HL2RP is better over /any/ other roleplay setting, HL2RP was created only because of the lack of content back in the days, HL2 content was there, so it was used, and HL2RP was born. It's incredibly boring, there's no space for originality, it's basically slave roleplay or 1984 roleplay where you're a citizen under opression or some other force that regulates you to function normally, you have restrictions. You bond with others over the awful times, or desire to escape or overthrow the system. Backstory doesn't matter much, as when you join you're a citizen, no matter if you were a mob boss somewhere or if you were travelling with circus, it just doesn't matter in the end, it's just used to talk.
    You've got only two ways to live in that setting, either legal or illegal.
    Legal consists of trading, being a loyalist or joining the ruling party (In this case CPs), or being a citizen that follows all the orders.
    Illegal is made of escaping, being a rebel, smuggling, gambling, fight clubs or plotting something against the ruling party.
    The events are also pretty limited compared to every other roleplay setting that you can choose from, usually rebels x cops, antlions, headcrabs, escaping from CPs, work for citizens, rations, propaganda. Anything that tries to introduce something new instead of choosing one of those is usually too out-of-canon and doesn't really fit the setting.

There's actually a really long and elaborate post somewhere on some forum that pitched everything bad about HL2RP and why it is the worst out of every other roleplay setting, shame I didn't save it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  33. Steve

Steve this space for rent

don't forget "/me would smile"

34. Echoes

Echoes porridge

United States
    pedantic little bitches

five claps out of five

• Agree Agree x 1
  35. Anri

Anri cute when mad

funny how you're triggered by this, considering you've done this exact same thing - although you weren't uninvolved, sure - after mugging a rookie indoors and my character stumbled upon the scene. i believe rokhazula told you to get ic like three times, then you started disconnecting and every time you hopped back on you were able to continue ranting in looc, but behold, as soon as you're told to drop that and get ic, you crashed again...
    come on man we're both german and you're like the only other active tnber from this country why cant we get along and build an empire

[hr]

on another note, "attempts to" in every emote
    like jesus fucking christ nobody's gonna stop you in your attempt to breathe or look at something

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

36. Fuzzy Wolfy

Fuzzy Wolfy The 'good' cop

Canada
    Speak for yourself.

37. Pew

Pew wonga

United States
    welcome to the 'rangers'

38. Massie

Massie Senior Member

Germany
    What I was refering to was people backseating something that had nothing to do with them, despite everyone else being fine with the situation. Anyhow, don't say it's the "exact same thing" and "you were involved" in the same line if I clearly explained the conditions.

Do you want me to post that net_graph again?
    The reason why I kept reconnecting after the timeouts was because I didn't want to look as if I was trying to blatantly avoid rp, hence I desperatly tried to explain myself with the little up-time I had, instead of dropping one IC line before getting cut off again. Thankfully Anony finally told me to fix my shit before coming back and kicked me, releasing me from the "rp or get banned" dilemma during that problematic time.
    I was waiting for you to come back on me for this, after my connection was stable again, but not like this. I was not expecting for you to instead save up the incident for weeks in order to stab me in the back and publicly shame for something I had little control over. So don't ask me "why can't we get along".

--------------------------------

People pronouncing caliber and numbers in words instead of actual numbers. Saying one or two loafs of bread is fine, or five grand, but by god, whenever I see someone who writes "Yes I can offer you some sevenpointsixtytwo-times-fiftysix for two-ninety per box. I also sell this gun for fifty-twohundred.". Don't get me started when they do that in GPDA, where you read/write text, not pronounce it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  39. Ace

Ace Maverick

United Kingdom
    1. The bizarre ideology that the Combine shouldn't advocate trans-humanism at the upper echelons.

2. Any iteration of The Lambda Movement that wasn't headed by Rick Vitelli.

3. ERP in general.
    SIX! CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE. DISGUSTING.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Someone complaining the Combine is 'too mean' IC or OOC (two clapping hands if both)
    ONE CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE

[​IMG]

5. Reading the CCA forums/roster after you've left.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. The 04 ranked unit who displays about as much as emotion as a T-800 because rebels killed my parents

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. CCA weaponry and equipment is worse than the resistance's for [arbitrary/Dave reasons] in the script.

damn i wish mine were as witty or funny as sym's or as on-point as ross'
    fuck it

• Agree Agree x 2
  40. Robe

Robe some fucking pog fuck

United States
    Adding an exclamation point at the end of an emote in an attempt to make it seem interesting or shocking.

THREE CLAPPING HANDS OUT OF FIVE.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2