Paroxysm Perma-Kill Rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by toastmatic, Sep 19, 2018.

1. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

There is inherently a lot of violence in this setting.

Death is likely to come quick and often. As such, we've opted to be forgiving in some circumstances: death via script, be it NPC or SWEP, will generally be counted as a New Life Rule (NLR) situation, unless roleplay leading up to the death is comprehensive enough to frame it in a cinematic or notable manner: one character pushing another into a horde, a suicide, a negligent act, etc. Using this rule in an attempt to escape consequence will result in a PK.

Otherwise, all roleplayed deaths will be considered final endings for characters. PKs can be reversed ad-hoc or via appeal if the roleplay was sub-par, the result of meta or powergame, or otherwise objectionable. This comes with some degree of responsibility from the playerbase; punch above the belt OOC. If people begin using PKs to punish one another, to exert power, or to ruin someone else's experience we will come down hard.

Muggings can not result in death outside of negligence on the behalf of the victim; this does not give the mugger autonomy to discount any form of non-compliance as negligence, nor does it mean that a victim's non-compliance is poor roleplay.

This thread will be open for questions and concerns regarding PKs.

• Winner Winner x 19
    #1 toastmatic, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. Morgeta

Morgeta Member

United States
    What do you mean by NLR? Do you mean New Life Rule as we can have the same character, but he's just a new guy? Sorry if I misunderstood anything.

3. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

New Life Rule is a dark-rp holdover. Generally, it means that when a character dies and that rule comes into effect, they simply lose all recollection of the events that lead up to their death. This is not an excuse to do the exact same thing over again; write whatever your character was doing off.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    keep in mind this also applies to non-npc related things most likely

if you jump off a 20-story building expecting to escape some zombies chasing you and not have your legs in your skull youre expecting too much

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.

United States
    So if we're just chilling and get decimated by an NPC/Just suck at fighting NPCs it won't count against us?

6. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

Would that be fun?

7. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.

United States
    Nope, not at all, just making sure.

8. Malum Umbra

Malum Umbra Senior Member

Canada
    So, unsure of how large hordes will work, If they are IC hordes [Like a /ev saying there are hundreds on the streets, when there are no NPC's or stand-ins] the posted rule makes sense.
    If there will be NPC zombies running amok on the maps my question is this:

Due to HL2's and GMods, less then optimal, NPC path finding and tendency to phase through or kill people through props, walls, and doors among other things. Will events of say, a NPC zombie phasing through a locked door or solid wall and killing someone be considered a PK or will they be taken case by case ?.

I know some of these situations could be taken IC in a way of 'it crawled through a crack in the barricade' or 'It grabbed him at the window' My scenario is closer too the what-if's of a fault map collision working alongside a NPC to kill a player.

9. LilSumac

LilSumac Zealot
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    I doubt we will enforce PKs due to the pitfalls of the Source Engine. Confirmation pending.

10. BMY871

BMY871 Legend

United States
    It was already said that NPC kills shouldn't be PKs. If it's caused by a glitch, it should be voided entirely and you should go back to where you were.
    You're not going to lose your character unless it's absolutely necessary for the integrity of roleplay, okay? Okay.

11. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    Paroxysm Admin Contributor

United States
    Reading a bit into what toast is saying here,
    you can assume that a death due to the fault of a source engine is neither cinematic nor notable. As such it would likely not be a pk.

e; The only exception I can see would be if you were surrounded and just delaying the inevitable. Source engine glitches wouldn't be grounds to ignore negligence.

Hope this helps!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    toasts post seems like a shitpost to the untrained eye, but use his post as a flowchart from the viewpoint that pks arent a punishment, but a conclusion to a story, and youve got a pretty clear answer bb

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. barry spaggot

barry spaggot small member

United Kingdom
    thats how it is on this bitch of an earth

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Rabid

Rabid Legend

I appreciate the fact that death is going to be a common occurrence and it makes sense to put more emphasis on playing smart, not the hero (not that I've seen any that though don't get me wrong) if you want to survive.

Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. It'll be nice that zombies remain a consistent threat or obstacle through that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Zombiedude101

Zombiedude101 Zealot

United Kingdom
    Perhaps this is redundant given a little common sense should be in play here but will the administration be setting down rules for how infections/injuries may be handled?

Just so we don't have someone going "it's just a scratch/nibble/flesh wound" to circumvent a legitimate death.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

If someone is godmodding, report them. As for being "infected", find out IC.

17. Scouser

Scouser Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I imagine the rules on how one becomes a zombie will be figured out pretty quickly after everything goes to shit.

18. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    How many seconds does it take for a zombie bite to fully infect me if I get bit in the neck.

No wrong answers allowed.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Eyeball Val

Eyeball Val Member

United States
    Edited out, posted in appropriate thread as told by admin.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #19 Eyeball Val, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  20. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    Paroxysm Admin Contributor

United States
    negligence on the victim, he was told to kneel and he didn't so he was shot.

if you really think it was fucky make a pk appeal here, i guess? we dont have a pk appeal subforum yet but i'll talk to it ppl about it and it'll get moved there when its made

or, if you dont want it to be seen by a public audience just send it into the auth boards

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

Post PK appeals in general for now.