Paroxysm: FAQ

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by toastmatic, Jul 23, 2018.

1. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

[​IMG]

Paroxysm is TnB's first attempt at an entirely from-scratch setting. Sometimes that can be a little daunting to jump into. This thread should serve as a reference for some questions we've been getting, and a place to ask them. Good questions that come up in the posts below will be added to the OP; we won't start with much:

What is Paroxysm?
    Paroxysm is the working title for zombie roleplay. A paroxysm is a sudden onset of a symptom, behavior, or other change in condition.

When/where is Paroxysm set?
    Paroxysm is set in the current year and current day of a dark alternate reality in New York City.

What script will be used?
    We will be using a version of Combine Control, a roleplay gamemode made by Disseminate, and heavily modified by TankNut and Hoplite, our resident code monkeys.

Where can I find more general information about the server/how to roleplay?
    Check out this thread.

Where will the server start from?
    The server will open with a series of events that take the characters through the initial days of the dead rising. After these events, new players should be able to jump into the setting under the general pretense of any standard fare zombie apocalypse narrative.

As events guide the server, more information will be provided.

How will factions/groups be handled?
    Pre-server, players will be encouraged to organize among themselves and come up with player and faction concepts that work within the setting.

They are free to chose any alignment they may wish for, barring police or active duty military, which will be application based.

Groups that form after the outbreak may be done in-character or on an OOC basis. Administratively managed factions may appear as the setting progresses, but these will likely often be antagonistic in nature, and not solely limited to zombies.

I want to roleplay a cop/law enforcement.
    Okay. That's not a question, but: after 2018/09/23, if you've applied for an NYPD position, you can make the character and !a to be outfitted. After 2018/09/28, you are free to make any sort of character you would like.

I want to roleplay military/prior service.
    Also not a question, but prior service is fine to roleplay. Active duty/uniformed/outfitted will either be handled through administratively managed factions, or ad hoc via authorization.

I want to roleplay a zombie.
    Hold tight for this one. We're going to make this easy to apply for and a fluid position to find yourself in on server.

What's the general atmosphere going to be like?
    A mix of script-play and roleplay, players can expect a healthy utilization of Garry's Mod capabilities on street level with the underlying assumption that all actions taken should be done with a character's motivations in mind.

Generally, things done out of the way or on upper levels will be less game-engine oriented. We're aiming to keep a dynamic and free-flow experience that caters to different tastes and is more representative of a less contrived era of "passive v. active", "script v. roleplay".

Thematically, we're going for an edgy, highly styled, macabre world inspired heavily by media like World of Darkness, The Warriors, and Escape from New York. If you want to play along, make your play dark, pulpy, and open to the idea of unexpected factors worming their way in.

Would X celebrity exist? Does Y media exist?
    No. Assume that if it came about after 1988 that it is written out. Write about analogous figures and creations if you'd like, but give them the twist that this setting imparts on everything. Help us worldbuild. Write canon if you'd like. We're trying to leave a lot of room open for players to shape their reality here.

Q) Is zombie media a thing in the world of Paroxysm?
    A: The short answer is no. Not as we know it in the world of today. The movies that took off and popularized the genre never did so in the world of Paroxysm so 'zombie' media in the way that we understand it is not a thing.

Q) How numerous are firearms? Can we ask for some?
    A:
    There will be firearms but except for the police and for the purposes of a slow build up they will not be easily available. Melee weapons will be the main tools at the beginning, of which there should be a lot of to go around.

Q): Why are there no vehicles on the road?
    A:
    Due to current strict regulations no private transport is allowed within the confines of the city block. The only vehicles on the road will be state owned or government/military. Public transport lines are still up and running upon the start of the server.

Q): Can we play child characters?
    A:
    No.

Q): Can we play a zombie at the beginning?
    A: Maybe. There likely won't be zombie playermodels at launch but there are probably going to be many little scenes where a chance to play a zombie temporarily (for the duration of the scene) will be possible. Be sure to ask in !a if you think you're involved in a scene where it might be appropriate.

Q): Can we own a building for a business or group?
    A:
    There are many buildings to be used on the map. The only ones currently in use are the police department and the medical center. All others are free to be used. If you feel like you want to claim a building for a particular business (For example, there is a bank on the map) then post an authorization thread in the auth boards when they appear.

Q): Content pack?
    A:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1466672937

Q): Can you refund my ammo?
    A:
    Unless you've been maliciously RDMed by another player, it's your responsibility to manage your ammo after 2018/09/23. Unload your weapon before you leave the server, and reload when you arrive. Ammo will not be refunded.

Q): How are donations handled for ZRP?
    A: Donations work a little bit differently than they did like in TRP etc. Paroxysm depends upon a certain kind of atmosphere that paying money for items in game would cause a fairly major disruption to.

1) Private donor models are allowed, at Daves usual prices.

2) Donations for weapons are allowed but with a couple of stipulations. They will not be private and you will not be spawned it upon it being added to the server. If you wish to donate to add a weapon to the server, post a thread to the auth boards so it can be approved. Do not go around this as you will simply cause myself and Dave to butt heads and the end result will be the same.

With TRP dying down however I recognize that donations will probably thin out considerably, so we'll still allow donations for stats and likely some miscellaneous items.

To reiterate, you cannot donate for a weapon nor ammunition to be provided to your character.

With TRP donor models, as Dave said before the heads will transfer over but not any of the suits or crazy tactical armour. Also, if you would like to show your appreciation for the work Tanknut and Hoplite have done on all the scripting efforts and for being around always to fix anything that goes wrong, and also to Dave who spent a fair amount of his time creating the base models that we'll be using, please go ahead and donate.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Zing Zing x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    #1 toastmatic, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Sinclair

Sinclair Zealot

United States
    From reading the lore bits, organized crime rings and mafioso types seem to be not only present, but big players in politics and things. So my questions are:

How will this sort of thing be handled? Are organized crime groups and gangs going to be something present from the beginning and admin run? Or is this sort of just a setting piece, and any character could be involved by whatever backstory is written for them? Or will it not be very present when shit hits the van, and things will be more focused on regular people surviving?

3. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

Next weekend we'll be introducing some major players in the game which you can chose to affiliate yourself with, both from a criminal perspective and some others, but you're more than welcome to make your own group. We'd like to say that any character can be involved with whatever backstory. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play a gangster or to fit yourself in to the world.

4. dougal

dougal low effort

United States
    Any idea when it'll be launching? Also, the lore thread thing mentioned that the US is more loose with capital punishment in this setting - is there a sort of boundary for which crimes end in hard time and which end in a death sentence? I plan on making a prisoner character so it'd help for writing a backstory.

5. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

No set date yet, but a month or two isn't far off.

As for the latter, I haven't considered really. I imagine that would be up to the individual judges/cases like in real life, but the cultural shift is that it's more commonly applied.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Puffin

Paroxysm Admin

United States
    In the glance thread you touch on these religious influences pulling the strings in a strong way.

First, if that is influenced by the rise of the religious right in the 80s then bravo on that touch of realism.

Secondly, are we to assume that within the US there was a resurgence of evangelism due to this detail of the president being a televangelist and this:
    • Theocratic demagogues rise worldwide, most bearing loose affiliation with the Panaxial Coalition.
    If so, I'd be intrigued to see what this means for characters who may play different religions within the USA.

Considering the demagogue detail, does this also mean that we might see a bit of religious strife within the setting before the infection hits? My mind goes to Catholic centers like Boston.

That would personally be fascinating to me, especially if the themes are darker like the thread suggests.

7. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    I think I'll keep my question kinda simple. What kind of zombies is the setting going for? Are we looking at a 28 days later type of the dead/infected, or more your typical, slow shambling zed. Or some combination there of, where the dead slow down the more they decay?

8. Flower

Flower Jason Killer does not exist....
    TRP Admin

United States
    I'm confused.

I was under the impression that we were going to be roleplaying in a world that is much like present day society but in 2010 and everything related to zombies or the 'living-dead' was omitted. I was much more excited to roleplay in a setting where everything goes to hell the morning my character decides to go out and buy a newspaper and some coffee like he normally does.

to me this reads as 'the world is already shit and now a strange infection is springing up and now the world is getting even shittier'

dont get me wrong im all for dystopian settings or even alternate timelines. I just feel like there is a little too much there and that a zombie infection was just lazily tossed in.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #8 Flower, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

It was influenced by the rise of the religious right, good catch.

As far as your second point: yes, it's fair to assume evangelism took a rise. It's safe to assume something along the lines of Abrahamic hierarchy, with various forms of Christianity taking a predominant role as cultural forces, followed by Judesm and Islam being vaguely accepted, and leaving non-Abrahamic faiths, agnosticism, or atheism as legal, but highly marginalized and subject to intense scrutiny and paralegal bigotry.

Feel free to take this how you will and run with it, if it's something you're interested in.

I'll leave this one for @Bennet Dyson, but there's going to be a mix of slow and fast zombies. Decay will not be a major factor... but most of this stuff is going to be answered through roleplay rather than revealed straight away.

It doesn't sound like you're confused to me.

• ...what? ...what? x 3
    • Thinking Thinking x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. toirtaP

toirtaP Legend

United States
    Yeah, I personally don't see the point of having this sort of "Cold war goes hot" backstory behind it. Being honest, I don't think it really adds much to the Zombie aspect of things.

The simple tried and true Walking Dead route of things where as Flower said "present day society but in 2010 and everything [relating] to zombies or the 'living-dead' was omitted." would be a whole lot easier for newer players to follow and get involved in. Furthermore, it provides ample amounts of space for people to build from, stepping on eggshells over what would and wouldn't have happened after the Gorbachev-Reagan assassination seems more like a distraction from the main entree which is how humans attempt to survive when thrown into an unfamiliar circumstance.

I have no issue with the world building itself, it's actually very interesting as a concept and well-written, but it doesn't seem like this is the server that it should be used for.

• Agree Agree x 9
  11. _Vintricus

_Vintricus Legend

United States
    this dystopian world sounds better without the zombies

it sounds like the prelude to tekka

• Agree Agree x 13
  12. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

The setting was not arbitrarily picked; it bears significance to the plot which will be laid out through the roleplay and events of this vignette. I do not want to see a disappointing gunblob/taper off into inactivity which a groundless, aimless zombie invasion would produce, and I do not want to see our first original setting being a completely vanilla puddle of muddied, overdrawn troupes.

If you would prefer a sandbox wasteland where you don't have to stray outside of your comfort zone, I would kindly direct you to one of our other innumerous hard-sci-fi, post apocalyptic, near-future settings.

Tekka is going to be a whole different ballgame. Don't you worry.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Flower

Flower Jason Killer does not exist....
    TRP Admin

United States
    I'm sure it all holds significance. No one is even trying to argue that it doesn't. I'm fairly impressed with the world building and the synopsis but personally I'd prefer to play in a setting that was laid out much like the settings in the ZombieRRs.

I think the canon that is written is more befitting of anything but a zombie roleplay.

fuck u and ur quick edits

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

Thanks for your input! Have a nice day.

• Rude! Rude! x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. moogaloo

moogaloo The Schemer
    Paroxysm Admin

United Kingdom
    What state is the Internet in?

Something like China? Where it's tightly regulated of what people can and cannot see; especially in regards to anything that could be perceived as anti-government?

Something more like NK? Where it's strictly for a select few (ontop of being heavily monitored)

Will there be monitored, illegal, 'deep web' sites people will flock too for things?

Being something so important today I'd like to know what the analogue would be in this alt. history.

16. kingryan

kingryan Legend

United States
    How heavy is media regulated? Has free speech been heavily restricted to where you can't even play certain types of music without getting in trouble?

17. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

I like the sound of that: something a little less technologically advanced, less universally adopted, and more heavily monitored. Do you want to write something up on it?

• Rude! Rude! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.

United States
    why can't we just do regular zombies?

the only benefit I can see to having some kind of big oppressive (and confusing) setting prior to the outbreak is survivors realizing that they're suddenly free, but thats it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  19. Airsoft

Airsoft Zealot

United States
    The synopsis of the lore is just as confusing as the extended lore itself. All I gathered was:

Cold War springs into action. Some stuff goes down, USSR is now in NATO. Some countries annex other countries, some different political leaders take power.

What I don't see is how all of this connects and what purpose it all serves other than to be generally confusing and hard to understand. It's like a puzzle with no edge pieces.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  20. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

I would say that the regulation is more of a cultural thing than a day-to-day pragmatic issue: a record label won't sign a subversive, a TV show wouldn't let a controversial stand up comic start their own sitcom, things like that. The NYPD might bust up nightclubs playing the wrong kind of music every so often, but most of the actual regulation comes down on media heads, which shape the cultural norm of the nation, more than at the individual level.

Things are just a bit darker here. We're not running with full blown tyranny.

21. kingryan

kingryan Legend

United States
    Is the PBG thread open to start posting in?

22. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

23. moogaloo

moogaloo The Schemer
    Paroxysm Admin

United Kingdom
    Sure, I'll write something up & PM you later.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    so tyranny in the most nine inch nails/year zero sense of the word;

I'm being sincere and I mean that in the best way possible, because I'm getting a lot of the same vibes from that album and a lot of concerns people had about the trajectory the country was going around the early/mid 2000's when the PATRIOT act was passed

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. toastmatic

Paroxysm Admin Moderator

That's the spirit.

26. Zombiedude101

Zombiedude101 Zealot

United Kingdom
    I'll confess from personal opinion I might not have specifically steered towards this kind of starting backdrop for the server but I can understand and respect the decision behind it.

Given the tactical nuclear exchange between NATO and the Warsaw pact, was there anything left of Germany/Poland or are both countries effectively backyard third world nations as a consequence of nuclear destruction/contamination? Is the modern USSR more alike OTL China?

#26 Zombiedude101, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  27. Denicide

Denicide Zealot

Ireland
    I like this. I didn't immediately get the main write-up, but when you mentioned World of Darkness it clicked. I hope in parallel to the Handmaid's Tale religious stuff we get a heap of the kind of subversive counterculture of WOD which isn't necessarily criminal but has a bit more of an edge and a bit more of "the world is fucked, let's party" vibe.

Your approach to creating canon is also extremely promising. TNB has a lot of good writers so I'm excited to see what direction they pull this in.

28. Bennet Dyson

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator

Ireland
    Some of you guys really do want to be outraged by the most mundane stuff.

It's still zombie RP, life is normal still, you still get to experience the downfall of society, life is still mostly modern. What all this alt lore sets up is what's possible AFTER the infection hits, to allow for some creativity and to try to not fall into the pitfall of generic apocalypse survival RP that will taper off in a couple of weeks. This lore is there for the people that want to use it, to the people that don't want to use it, you don't have to pay barely any attention to it, promise. All it means for you is the streets are more dirty than usual and the cops are a bit meaner.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Mox

Mox I had strings but now I am free...
    Contributor

I don’t think anyone’s gonna care about Germany or the Cold War once people start biting one another and the plague hits.

Really all the alternate history is doing is just making the interactions post outbreak more adaptable for a serious roleplay setting that doesn’t just turn into That One Zombie Flick Movie. Y’all don’t have to worry so much about the world before it all goes to hell to get some enjoyment out of the setting.

30. dougal

dougal low effort

United States
    I know you've said zombies will be applied for at some point soon, but how about police officers? I'm sure some people have interest in playing as law enforcement in this new setting.

31. moogaloo

moogaloo The Schemer
    Paroxysm Admin

United Kingdom
    I don't like the idea that the setting will cease to matter once zombies come into play. If that was truly the case than why make it alt history? It'll certainly matter. Just as Bennet said though that doesn't mean you'll have to think about it.

32. Mox

Mox I had strings but now I am free...
    Contributor

its not going to be irrelevant but its really not gonna be the main premise of whats in your face when you log in

33. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin Contributor

United States
    Do we need auth's for a PBG or is it just do whatever as long as we don't act like idiots about it?

34. Rabid

Rabid Legend

The alt. history is to open doors and to allow more freedom than the modern day could. I mean in the announcement thread alone we had people arguing why they couldn't get guns day one on top of zombies already being in our media.

This way we can have far more options when things go to shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  35. baby

baby Zealot

Philippines
    i'm super confused at how the lore is structured to affect roleplayers in creating their unique john/jane does because im not super smart or into politics and such, can this please be summarized in a way that a john doe living in said lore would understand easily

36. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    summary: don't worry about it just rp nobody's gonna do a lore quiz

37. baby

baby Zealot

Philippines
    im just wondering about how i should introduce my character to the world that he should be fairly familiar with honestly

38. Rabid

Rabid Legend

It'll likely be narrowed down further the more we go.

The point of the lore is that zombies won't just be the focus given there's a new political system and stuff in place that gives us far more leverage with the genre beyond the apocalypse than most media can go into.

The idea of "modern day with zombies" is fine until - as happened - people are pointing out they should instantly have guns or they know what a zombie is. Or, god forbid, you start getting a slew of dumb as fuck memes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  39. goldcrate

goldcrate Senior Member

United States
    will "specialty" jobs require auths?

examples being paramedics, drug dealers, shop owners, firemen, mechanics, scientists, professors, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  40. nec

nec lemondog
    Contributor

Australia
    IMO this really isn't needed since it's just going to eliminate a lot of discussion regarding common interests and not do much else, since this basically removes music/movies/books/etc. Expecting the playerbase to come up with alternatives is a little extreme.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 1