No, TnB isn't dead but we should probably talk

bennet

Roleplay Department Administrator
Non-Roleplay Department Administrator
May 22, 2011
So it's one of those days, let's just get into it.

I'm going to start by saying yes, yesterday was handled terribly by myself and obviously having Hoplite and our main developer leave is a result of that mishandle. I don't regret making that stand however, though I regret that it was War Machine that I had to take it on. I'd do it completely differently without the childish bullshit but I would still do it because I thought it was important to be firm on no longer chasing or running different people away because they don't believe in the same politics that someone else does.

I think this has been something that has unfortunately been boiling for a long time between different members of this community and you can see it every time in any sort of controversial thread that the arguments will start. You're probably going to see it next week in the 4th of July thread. I'm saying this because I think people pushing their politics into TnB is honestly some of the worst shit and it taints everything by making people instantly divisive, it's been on my mind for a while and yesterday is a result of having had enough but like I said, it was handled pretty terribly.

Moving on to Hoplite and TankNut leaving, honestly it probably seems huge but really not much is going to change and I don't mean that as a slight to either one of them. Hoplite had stopped developing for a long time now and helped TankNut with some minor stuff and in terms of having a full time developer, TnB has done without one for much longer periods of time than it's had one. This isn't the community killing event that you're looking for, unfortunately. Things change and people leave, believe me TnB has had much more dramatic events happening inside of it than this.

In terms of talking about change or cultivating a community that's just nice to each other, I'll just say this. This place is a toxic shit hole. It is incredibly difficult to have open dialogue between people, that being myself, admins of the community and general members because there is no give in either side. It's all or nothing because people have been here so damn long that they really do hate the people they have issues with. Everyone just sits in their own circle on discord now and get stuck in a feed back loop on people they don't like, they don't interact with each other and they avoid trying to RP with people outside their group. Maybe this community is broken but not for the reasons put forward in any resignation post.

For the people that want me gone, maybe. I don't think that's really going to fix the issues a lot of people have with this community though. I could definitely be better than I have been and I've certainly had some missteps, in both my own actions and letting people get away with too much bad behavior and that's on me. Maybe I've been here too long myself but I wouldn't still be doing it if I didn't enjoy it in some way. I'm not really sure how to go forward in fixing something like how different parts of the community treat each other without just banning one group of people and letting one set of opinions reign.

Thread is open so you can yell or meme, I just wanted to get it out that TnB isn't dead (probably why my words are a bit all over the place, despite if Hoplite leaves, or Tank leaves or if I'm gone. TnB could survive with none of us around and just leaving the TRP server up, so you don't really have to worry about that. (Not that many people are probably...)

bennet

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator
May 22, 2011
Honestly should have tbh, such a small thing it wasn't really worth it to stop

7dast

Zealot
Jan 1, 2012
ban War Machine War Machine

let me clarify, at this point i'd more so want to see war machine gone not for his politics or not even because he's an asshole but because of the fact he has no real interest in improving or contributing things to this community. even when he was given a simple opportunity to give a well thoughout argument against wester wester he instantly defaulted to shitting on wester and embarrassing himself in front of the entire community.

he then went on to be so deluded as to think he has managed to capture some great victory and really stuck it to the man. war machine is funny to listen to, but he's really not worth much beyond that.

and his $$$

not going to hate the man but still, dont think he has any genuine interest in this place other than getting his jabs in and powergrabbing

Dandy

Legend
Mar 15, 2015
i honestly think it's beyond fixing, and i think one of the biggest problems is the lack of trust with upper administration, and i dont really blame the people who dont have faith in you guys. dave did a piss take, and it honestly seemed like you were firmly taking war machines side because of a widely perceived friendship with him. yes, it'd have been better if it was hashed out in private, but why would someone if the popular idea seems to be you're firmly friends with this dude?

people perceive you guys as disinterested in the personal problems of members of the community and letting beef fester, at worst, they perceive you guys as circle jerky.

thats just my take though.

wewlad

Mar 29, 2020
I think I speak for no one and everyone when I say:

"Zrp 2021".

Q: Why not 2020???

A: Give halo the fair shake it deserves.

Also, given the fact people found a way to shit up an Easter thread, I can only imagine July 4th being a shit show.

7dast

Zealot
Jan 1, 2012
i honestly think it's beyond fixing, and i think one of the biggest problems is the lack of trust with upper administration, and i dont really blame the people who dont have faith in you guys. dave did a piss take, and it honestly seemed like you were firmly taking war machines side because of a widely perceived friendship with him. yes, it'd have been better if it was hashed out in private, but why would someone if the popular idea seems to be you're firmly friends with this dude?

people perceive you guys as disinterested in the personal problems of members of the community and letting beef fester, at worst, they perceive you guys as circle jerky.

thats just my take though.
wounds have been made, time will tell, but realistically yeah it was handled poorly and people are sticking it to the community rn but sorry i think tnb's perceived invulnerability has helped breed this shitflinging and "funny ha ha" politics. you need a slap in the face like this to reflect on yourself.

wester

Kiruclanz 2.0
Halo Admin
Mar 7, 2015
probably going to take a step back nonetheless.

my only point in all this shit was to save whatever shred of hope people had left for halo, but seems like thats pretty well out the window at this point.

maybe its guilt over my first real project kicking the bucket like this? no fucking clue.

i told myself that i made a commitment to the server, and that we'd continue regardless of how many losses we took.

gonna try my best to do something productive for the next two weeks, and maybe by the time halo's supposed to be back we'll be all happy again?

maybe, maybe not.

sky sky sorry shit had to happen like that. like i said, im on sf if you ever want to hash shit out, and not in public.

sky

your newest internet obsession
Sep 18, 2015
no worth in beating yourself up over a server's failure, it's rarely actually the admins fault and is usually just an unfortunate consequence of the state of the community

dont think hl2 or this really ever had a chance regardless of anything we could do for it

posepsi

actually el pepso
May 20, 2011
tbh im just a jaded oldfag who doesnt play anymore coming back to respond to drama so you can safely ignore everything i say but the idea that just treating everyone with respect regardless of their sex or gender or whatever the fuck is some political issue is just baffling its common decency

wester

Kiruclanz 2.0
Halo Admin
Mar 7, 2015
no worth in beating yourself up over a server's failure, it's rarely actually the admins fault and is usually just an unfortunate consequence of the state of the community
nah, i don't blame myself. just pretty depressing seeing things that you really enjoyed come down over preventable and ultimately petty shit.

Annoying Rooster

Zealot
Halo Admin
May 28, 2011
The future looks bleak, and it's only going to get worse. The best we can do is to try and hold on to what little hope we have for a better tomorrow and use this platform as a way to disconnect from all the nonsense we're seeing in the world. I came here to escape from the crap in reality right now, not to see one of the few places I can go for solace turn into a battle ground too. But I'm pretty apathetic about the whole thing, does that make me a bad person? I hope not, I just don't know anymore.

Nap

Legend
Jun 7, 2015

All jokes aside i understand why people don't like it with the current age we're in. But honestly i cant help but feel like this is a crazy response to a simple discord status that was poking at the subject. Whether it's morally right or wrong in some people's eyes, it was intended to be a joke not some like harsh statement i imagine (i dont know wm's views nor do i interact with him). To berate Bennet and insinuate that he was harboring pedophiles in the thread yesterday for taking a stance that we shouldn't oust someone from a garry's mod roleplay community at the direct whim from a group of people solely based on politics is ludicrous to me. like aren't we here to have fun as a hobby? There is no denying that nobody should be made to feel bad about their gender anywhere in the world for that matter, but I don't think there was a prominent issue with that at this community. I haven't really seen anyone throw down in chat about being transphobic outside of memers who pop up on the server/aren't really invested in the community, though I am relatively new as well and can't see private discords. Either way, I think this should be a medium of a place where people with opposing views can come and roleplay and have fun like usual. Not saying get with the status quo or whatever people are saying, but like mass resigning and leaving the community over a stance being taken that we shouldn't oust people over their personal views seems silly to me.

However, to me being an outsider to the situation WM has gone above and beyond that. Regardless of the money he's thrown around, he literally said he was doing all of this as a bait and intended to stir up drama from it in the shoutbox. That kind of person? Doesn't really belong here in my eyes and anyone can see the toxicity coming from him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 18, Guests: 7)

• Miguh
  • wester
  • Desrat456
  • Owain6521
  • Klyppen
  • Pew
  • erkor
  • Mid
  • Bozo
  • LittleB
  • BMY
  • thecatwhomines