L4D simfphys vehicles

perry

TnB's Most Wanted
Sep 8, 2011
pushed. you should be able to use the technicals now and access the testbed_armed tab

please bugtest
i'll check it out for you. i've made a lot of simfphys vehicles so i'll give you some pointers if needed

scramble

good natured
Jan 1, 2015
i'll check it out for you. i've made a lot of simfphys vehicles so i'll give you some pointers if needed
they're mostly all converted from the l4d2 cars so not much i did; added some seats, removed the unique sounds from most cars, and cut back on vehicles like the bus and the many different types of passenger van, on top of that added some of arctic's vehicles into a neat little pack; i didn't do much other than gather them into a collection and modify them as needed

perry

TnB's Most Wanted
Sep 8, 2011
20191230164232_1.jpg

missing textures on the .50 cal gmc, the .50 cal hummer, and the jeep cherokee, ravaged ATV is missing its wheels

the gun doesn't seem to work on the hummer

sdkfz probably shouldnt be in, its a literal museum piece, would be a huge eye roller to see that thing on server

should probably use the default ravaged textures instead of the hl2 themed ones from that workshop addon, the charger says "COMBINE KILLER" on the hood

20191230163743_1.jpg

i'd actually like to see at least one of the buses back, those would be good for events

all of the vehicles from that L4D set need their spring damping doubled and most need more torque

Last edited:

perry

TnB's Most Wanted
Sep 8, 2011
the ravaged vehicles all need work, the damping is mostly too low especially for the ATV and their mass centers need to be adjusted so they don't spin out as much

scramble

good natured
Jan 1, 2015
i'm not a modeller so i'm not sure how to modify those cars, but i think i know a work around

gonna push the missing materials today and whatever is wrong with the hummer + the bus

ps: just under the compression limit right now at 340~ mb. these l4d2 cars and such are actually rather light, data wise, so they're not hard to bring in - i had some more attractive and consistent tanks and humvees but they were like 200mb alone so they got axed. dave is iffy about one addon, let alone two, so i'm trying to keep things slim and buses were one of the things i cut initially but i did keep the delivery vans because i was sure they would be useful for an event, lol.

Last edited:

scramble

good natured
Jan 1, 2015
does the jeep cherokee not have textures? i have a texture fix for the technical and the humvee

humvee gun should be fixed now, working on the ravaged cars now

can i just replace the vtf of the modified ravaged textures with a same name replacement?

scramble

good natured
Jan 1, 2015
something about the roaring 20's happened yesterday? idk.

i'm working on the mass offset now. most of these cars are rear wheel drive so naturally accelerating while turning is going to lose traction and make the rear of the vehicle want to swing to the front
at the same time i'd like to make them a little less punishing to use? i'm not super sure how to modify the mass offset to benefit that, but i'm experimenting with pushing it forward towards the front of the vehicle now.

it's a learning experience lol

e: yeah, pushing the offset more towards the space between the front wheels helps a lot. i don't want to totally neuter the risk of oversteer with the throttle pinned putting you over a curb or something, but do you think that's important

perry

TnB's Most Wanted
Sep 8, 2011
by default Simfphys puts the center of mass at the exact center of the wheels, using the offset to push the center of mass forward will make a RWD vehicle more stable as long as it's roughly between the actual center and the front axle

if you push it over the front axle the vehicle will become unstable

if you want a more cinematic style (easy drifting and donuts) push the center of mass slightly toward the rear axle, that will make it swing more easily

scramble

good natured
Jan 1, 2015
perry perry ^ see above ^

also how does this impact the steering? do you think i should have to adjust the steering values afterwards, as well?

perry

TnB's Most Wanted
Sep 8, 2011
it really sucks to suddenly lose control and wipe out in the middle of s2k because that instantly kills suspension of disbelief when you become consciously aware that the bots are intentionally missing you, so they shouldn't be too lively

at the same time they need to handle predictably and sometimes you're expecting it to slide. if the vehicle babies you too much and never slides that can lead to you suddenly crashing as well

it's just a balancing act really, don't make them too slot-carish, try to keep some dynamic behavior. they should tolerate the exaggerated terrain on dave maps so raise the damping (3000-3500 is usually best). don't ignore the relative damping value either, that works best around 1500-2000 (makes vehicles handle bumps and jumps better)

scramble

good natured
Jan 1, 2015
one of the things i always considered with the suspension is that rp_futurewar for example has a lot of curbs and sidewalks u have to jump, not to mention, hills and such

pretty varied tbh in terms of areas to test with

scramble

good natured
Jan 1, 2015
does anyone know how much damage the trp M2 browning does? it's for the sake of consistency with the technical, humvee, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)