1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevlar, or PCV?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Desrat456, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    One thing I've always wondered with our version of HL2, and by extension, HL2 in general is this. The Combine Energy outlets are clearly in places for a reason (Outside the fact that of course Gordon needs to refill his giant bloody orange tank every 10 meters.) And that's lead me to ask, what if the CCA use them for the same exact purpose.

Now, hear me out. I know we like to portray the CCA as using Kevlar, and COTA as heavy flak uniforms respectively, but wouldn't it make sense for them to use some form of electronically powered armor, much like Gordon? Now, don't get me wrong, it isn't some sort of god machine like the HEV, but it was shown humans already had this tech back in HL:Opfor, where the HECU had powered vests for their protection. And it'd add some merit to the idea the combine chargers everywhere.

Of course, the biggest issue is, how does it work, compared to down and true, simple Kevlar that we go with right now. Do the fibers tighten upon bullet impact, drawing power from the PCU? Maybe, and that seems most possible, but it never does go into detail.

What do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Raklo

Raklo Zealot

United States
    ive always been under the impression that cca vests are kevlar and cota wear plate carriers

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. AlbinoGlowStick

AlbinoGlowStick CCA.C17-KOBRA.SqL.85900
    HL2 Game Moderator

United States
    Fairly positive in the C74 iteration we RP'd CP vests as kevlar and COTA vests as a PCU/Kevlar Combo. Though this iteration for simplicity since no one really knows how the PCU works I think they just opted for the kevlar and plate carrier option.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  4. Horten-229

Horten-229 Senior Member

United States
    Gotta recharge the ol' stunbaton and radio halfway through the day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Helios

HL2 Admin Moderator RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    combine energy outlets could also just be the equivalent of a universal portable energy source, not just suit juice too

the reason explained for the HEV being adapted to use them is so it can power the energy shield it provides, which is what equates to armor. something-something radiation protection and science

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    True enough, true enough. Still, the idea holds some merits. For example, say a recruit, simple Kevlar, nothing more. A Sql? PCU style vest, with a large power supply. Can take a hit and not go down, like their inferiors, instead of just saying "Well... more Kevlar." Still, Kevlar does leave it rather simple for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. not-so-solid snake

PCVs are basically done and dusted, nobody has those anymore. Cop vests are weird in that nobody knows what they're actually meant to be made out of but it's pretty commonly accepted as being good enough to resist cuts, stabs, and small bullets. Dunno what you'd call OTA armour but it's basically military grade aramid marshmallow.

Always assumed the charging stations were for the electronics metrocops carried and you could just jack into them for gameplay reasons to recharge your suit

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    Guess that makes sense. But you know what, to plug the thing I got the idea for this thread from, the Mod Entropy Zero on steam's got some interesting gameplay, considering it is the shotrebel dream of CPs

I also just realized it is PCV's. brb swallowing bottle of pills.

#8 Desrat456, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. Anri

Anri basically a cat
    HL2 Admin

Germany
    pcvs are more complex than simple kevlar vests and thus more expensive; they're designed for military application
    the cca is meant to be a police force, not a military force. most of their canon battles are unarmed rebels or people armed with handguns at most.
    it'd make sense for COTA troops to be wearing PCVs because they're also being deployed off-world and then the union would want their best gear on those guys, but then again i assume the union's R&D team was a little faster on the armor & weapons front and their iconic marshmallow armor is probably tougher than a pcv could even dream to be

tl;dr cca = cops not soldiers

for our own canon at tnb it might make some sense to consider, given the cca has become the resistance's favorite form of shooting practice, but even then - why not just say they're now wearing plate inserts or something else instead of overly fancy and expensive pcvs? the union's on earth for resources, so spending most of those resources on gearing up beat cops with high-tech stuff seems unfitting for them

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. not-so-solid snake

Cop armour, again, is assumed to be good for small bullets, so whether it's just sufficiently thick soft armour or a plate inside doesn't really matter much. Also of note, why would you equip your beat cops with armour geared for rifles and shit? They're not meant to be fighting fully-armed insurgents, they're meant to be stoving Joey Fettucini over in block B over the head with a shocky stick. Yes, real world cops wear armour pretty consistently, but the beat cops aren't the ones wearing full rigs and looking for fights with Chris Dorner- they're wearing low threat stuff at best.

In the end it's a question of what makes sense for the position cops are in and whether or not semantics past "it's good for this stuff" are even necessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    Tbh, I've always thought saying Kevlar makes it alot easier in the end, RP wise. But It is always an interesting question to pose with the PCV's, given their place in half life lore. I do like the idea of COTA using it, though, as Anri said, they are the ones going out their shoving their boots up the arses of things the Union doesn't like.

12. Rabid

HL2 Admin

I'm fairly sure those energy outlets aren't for suits - they're just used for general purpose shit by the Combine (ie; recharging batteries which have fluid in them by the looks of it). Kleiner modifies Gordon's suit so you can hook up to them... somehow.

It's never really explained but then again the HEV chargers work the same way, so.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Ruffian

Ruffian Zealot

United States
    would be cool if the cca had a bootleg pcv, but nothing like the actual one worn by hecu, here's a quote to support why they shouldn't have full-fledged pcv's

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Anri

Anri basically a cat
    HL2 Admin

Germany
    keep in mind that godly armor like that is still gonna get the user killed in far less of those impacts
    if it really only guards the torso, abdomen, shoulders and back, the actual blast wave of an rpg is just gonna be redirected along the vest and instead damage anything caught in its path - bye-bye to your limbs, basically. same with bullets that impact - they might splinter (well, if it's really all about how hard the fabric is) and once again be redirected along the vest and then shred the throat. fun fact: that's why those awkward-looking collar guards are included in some armor designs.

also the force behind the impact won't be negated i'm pretty sure, so even if you don't actually lose all your organs and limbs to the RPG blast in freak-accident-style luckout, you'll still have your ribcage kissing your spine through your entrails

give cops PCVs and they're essentially just as fucked as they were before but now when they die they lose equipment of much higher value

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Fuzzy Wolfy

Fuzzy Wolfy The 'good' cop

Canada
    It makes sense to me, believe it or not.

Considering Overwatch units are supposed to be sealed for extra-planetary / extra-dimensional relocation, more than likely through the use of portals, then it would make sense that the same principles used in the HEV suit are present in OTA uniforms. It’s protective gear, not meant exclusively for combat, but for environmental hazards too.

This, to me, is why energy outlets are typically always found in strategic locations, primarily where said Overwatch units are / were / may be.

At the end of the day though, this is really just a balancing issue.

We’ve delt with ID-locked AR2s, suits and powered armor for COTA way, way, way back in the day and its always - read; always - been a source of gripe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. popo

popo Zealot
    HL2 Admin

United States
    Honestly I think this level of specificity when it comes to shit like body armor is way less important than the actual context of why a character is being shot at, and how the situation from there would help make the scene/narrative better.

For instance if one character betrays another character and shoots them in the back, what's more important is the narrative outcome of the scene (the outcome when its all said and done- whether they died or took a few rounds and dove into a drain pipe and got away) rather than trying arguing about what's more realistic. That's basically the key difference between what an RP server does and what a simulation is. This is an RP server, work with one another to find the best outcomes to situations instead of trying to stack up realism points against one another. Just my opinion on this level of specificty and why I think it doesn't even matter except from a world building angle (I guess)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    Thank you all for the responses so far, and for keeping it so civil. Don't know if I stated this, but no aim to stir up controversy, just talk about an element of a lore that we all love that may or may not be interesting to think about.

Edit; Finally changed my fucking tittle error. brb another bottle of pills

18. Fuzzy Wolfy

Canada
    I like brainstorming.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    In actuality, it wouldn't be hard for the Combine to produce them -- since they're cost-free -- but I think a reason the CP and COTA wouldn't have them is;

1. It's a pain in the ass to mass produce
    2. Having a unit have to run to a charger in the middle of a battle is terrible

The Combine needs to churn out equipment really fast, so the cheap but effective method is probably their priority. The high-tech factory lines are probably dedicated to things like the helmets for the CP and COTA, since those seem to be the most high-tech piece of their uniform.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #19 Doggo, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  20. blubaugh?

HL2 Admin

United States
    why are we making the assumption again that the combine cares about metrocops

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Zing Zing x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Fuzzy Wolfy

Canada
    Because they give me food.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  22. RGB

RGB I am not a bot
    HL2 Game Moderator RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    I believe those chargers are to charge up the fancy light-up masks all the units wear for their eye holes and I refuse to believe they have any other use

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  23. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.

United States
    I've rpd the batons as entirely battery powered and you just change the batteries once in a while. Same for radios.

The power stations could just charge your baton directly and the mask face holes. You just gotta get real close.

24. Symmetry

Symmetry Kwisatz Haderach
    HL2 Admin

Canada
    We need to go back to an original metrocop skin... We have no excuse now if our setting is C17...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. K33f3!

K33f3! Leave me alone

United States
    Steel plate already is pretty effective at stopping ballistic threats, not to mention cheap and plentiful. Electronic armor systems are usually reserved for vehicles and require complex maint. from skilled workers. Logistically, plate carriers are going to win out, everytime.

Also a plate carrier isn't a very magical piece of equipment. It's pretty much thread and buckles. Not even enough to make a catholic school girl blush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. shotcopper 9000

shotcopper 9000 Dead Soul

Australia
    backlit lenses aren't a vanilla feature for civil protection, only overwatch

civil protection's are mirrored