Joint HL2 donation for a default black female model

Wheatos

Legend
Sep 27, 2015
I've been meaning to donate for one of the default black females for a while now and I know others have expressed interest as well. I wanted to make this little thread to see if anyone wants to split the cost with me or even better is with a small group of people. Of course, this model would be made public.

Female_03 (above) is the one I was thinking only because I feel in terms of age range and overall appearance, it's more versatile.

We can talk about bodygroups as well but I'm thinking basic stuff like beanie+face wrap, beanie, trp gasmask. This model also has a neat skin that includes a headwrap so I'd like to see that worked in as well.

So basically just reach out to me via forums or steam if you're interested :)

Wheatos

Legend
Sep 27, 2015
okay wait so pause Zippo Raid Zippo Raid is basically my hero and used his giveway prize to get this in the game...

In conclusion, all the Caucasian people to the back immediately

Zippo Raid

OUTTA' LUCK, OUTTA' SIGHT, TURN THE FUCK OFF THE H
Nov 30, 2014
i did it for us dave said it should be on the creation menu soon

thank lloyd actually, it was his money & santoro for being a good buddy friend and electing me :'^)

Davebrown

my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
Senior Executive Administrator
May 16, 2011
it was quite simple really....back when i was choosing female models for the default selection on old HL2 and TRP......i just excluded this one (and the other hl2 black female, and the not-so-pretty white female_06) because no one ever used them. Waste of time really. So I brought in the l4d2 black female which is....yknow, not quite as cretinous looking

Scouser

Zealot
Aug 3, 2011
most of the people i'd talk to were just using white models for their black characters bc of how bad the l4d2 one is

this is something at least

Llyods

May 17, 2019
You guys can suggest a black female model that you think a lot more people will use, I'll talk to Dave about donating for it & making it public.

Davebrown

my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
Senior Executive Administrator
May 16, 2011
Whats so bad with the rochelle one from l4d2?

Sweetness

pretty girl
Dec 16, 2014
I think part of the issue is that there's no variety. I mean, yes, we should use our imagination but the ratio of white female models to black female models is still like 8:1.

Zippo Raid

OUTTA' LUCK, OUTTA' SIGHT, TURN THE FUCK OFF THE H
Nov 30, 2014
Whats so bad with the rochelle one from l4d2?
Nothing really wrong with Rochelle, but the other models are far more versatile to play different ethnicities and such with, as well as provide some choice. You really only had Rochelle to use if you wanted to be any type of dark-skinned female. Female_06 (older white broad) is just as useful -- I believe it can play a conventional country's generic white race fine or she could also fit for a lot of Eastern European characters of darker complexion and even some Middle Eastern types as well.

HL2RP has... evolved? a lot since you originally compiled the starter group (we'll just leave it at that) ... and I feel nowadays a lot more players stray from "pretty" looking models and opt for the rugged ones instead.

Wheatos

Legend
Sep 27, 2015
I think part of the issue is that there's no variety. I mean, yes, we should use our imagination but the ratio of white female models to black female models is still like 8:1.
8:1 is very generous.

To be fair that's not really anyone's fault considering it's just based on what people are requesting. That being said, I always liked female_06 because she's much more versatile than say for example female_01.

(Female_06)​

A strength that female_06 has over a lot of the other available models is that this little number can swing any number of ways. Hispanic, mixed race, Middle Eastern, et cetera, et cetera. Racial and age ambiguity go a long way in my opinion. Female_06 is just blissfully average looking.

e:
Another note. When this model was available last iteration, the fact that its face was edited to look more Caucasian sort of defeated the purpose of having it at all. I mean, when you make the nose all dainty, thin out the lips, and prune the eyebrows, it limits its versatility. If it were to be added in, I'd want the original HL2 variations.

Last edited:

Denicide

Zealot
May 22, 2011
It's great that Lloyd did this, but it really sucks that players have to donate for representation of really broad real world ethnicities in the server because of the lack of choice to begin with. If we can't at least give players the option of two model choices per gender for black/brown/south asian/east asian characters, then the creation system is off to a really bad start.

Donations have a place, and donating for universally available models is perfectly fine but it should be from a basis of a good spread of freely available playermodel colours and facial features. I don't expect everyone to have a playermodel tailored to them, and players will always have to make clarifications about their character's appearance in the description, but we can do a lot better than this.

Wheatos

Legend
Sep 27, 2015
Let's not turn this into a CCC on the playermodel selection even though that's probably not anyone's intention. To start, I'm kind of wanting to donate for female_06 and/or female_07 (the other HL2 black female) and its original HL2 variants. Any takers on splitting that?

Llyods

May 17, 2019
Let's not turn this into a CCC on the playermodel selection even though that's probably not anyone's intention. To start, I'm kind of wanting to donate for female_06 and/or female_07 (the other HL2 black female) and its original HL2 variants. Any takers on splitting that?
There are variants by the way on the model:

But I think as Dave points out, he didn't upload them initially cause no one uses them. I think that's a fair point, if you open up the player scoreboard and see all these custom models, they're literally bunch of white waifus lol.

To counter this, we just need to get some colored waifus, bonus for ambiguity like this:

Give me suggestions, and I'll talk to Dave about it. But give me at least a week cause I think poor Dave is overloaded with bunch of work.

Stiles

orgaysm
Dec 27, 2014
I think another good option for characters of color is the tan sheva from last iteration because she could either be black or just tan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)