Hurricane Tracking & Resources

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cambrysiel, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
    Heyo friends & community!! I don't know how many people in the community live in the areas that are being affected, but I wanted to leave some resources here as well as keep everybody updated as time goes on (in a more serious thread than my last one) because I know a good number of people are worried.

The Houston region, as I understand it, currently looks like an inland sea dotted by islands, with floodwaters inundating roads, vehicles, and even bridges and buildings. Thousands of people have been rescued from flooded homes and cars.

At least twelve deaths and more than a dozen injuries have been attributed to the storm, which made landfall on Friday night as a Category 4 hurricane, the most powerful to hit the United States in a decade.

More than 30 inches of rain has fallen on parts of the Houston area since Thursday, the National Weather Service reported on Monday, 8/28, causing catastrophic flooding that officials have called the worst in the state’s history.

Now I can't say what's going on in Corpus Christi because I've been more concerned with and exposed to what's going on in my city; to help you guys understand the devastation: Houston is huge. The greater metropolitan area is circled by the Grand Parkway - which is 170 miles (273 km) long. That makes the area of the circle inside the Grand Parkway over 2200 sq. miles (5697 km²). 2200 square miles of densely habitated, urban and suburban, areas is flooded.
    Imagine if the entire state of Delaware, with twice the population of Manhattan, was under water. That's Houston.

Hurricane Harvey is weakened to a tropical storm and additional weakening is forecast. However, the rain threat is just beginning.
    Harvey is moving ESE at 3 mph. Wind speed 40 mph. Min pressure 998 mb.
    Last updated 1:00 PM CDT Mon Aug 28, data from NOAA NHC.

8/17 | Tropical Storm Harvey is named, six hours after the National Hurricane Center in Miami issues a potential tropical cyclone for several small Caribbean islands.
    8/19 | Moving westward between the northern coast of South America and the larger Caribbean islands, Harvey is downgraded to a tropical depression, with maximum sustained winds of 35 mph (56 kph). Six hours later, it is further downgraded to a tropical wave.
    8/24 - 1pm | After quickly strengthening over the course of a day, Harvey becomes a hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 85 mph (140 kph). It is about 325 miles (525 kilometers) southeast of Port O'Connor, and Texas coastal communities in its path are urged to complete their preparations. By midnight, it is upgraded to a Category 2 hurricane and is 220 miles from Port O'Connor, with sustained maximum winds of 100 mph (160 kph).
    8/25 - 2pm | Harvey is upgraded to a Category 3 hurricane, with sustained maximum winds of 120 mph (195 kph). It is centered about 75 miles (120 kilometers) southeast of Corpus Christi. By 6 p.m., Harvey is a Category 4 storm just 45 miles from the city, with maximum sustained winds of 130 mph (215 kph).
    8/25 - 10pm | Harvey makes landfall as a Category 4 hurricane when the eye of the storm comes ashore between Port Aransas and Port O'Connor, two communities on a spit off the coast of mainland Texas near Corpus Christi.
    8/26 - 2am | Harvey is centered about 15 miles inland and is weakening as it slowly passes over land. It has been downgraded to a Category 3, with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph (185 kph). Two hours later, it is downgraded further to a Category 2.
    8/26 - 5am | With maximum sustained winds of 90 mph (150 kph), Harvey is downgraded to a Category 1 storm. Forecasters warn of potentially catastrophic flooding in the coming days. Hours later, it is downgraded yet again to a tropical storm. One fatality confirmed.
    8/27 - 1:30pm | 6 more fatalities attributed to Harvey as family drowns inside van while trying to escape floodwaters.
    8/27 - 5:20pm | Beltway 8 breaks near near I10.
    8/28 - 3:20am | FEMA registration opens to Texans impacted by Harvey
    8/28 - 11:44am | Entire Texas National Guard activated
    8/28 - 11:49am | Explosion rocks building in downtown Houston
    8/28 - 12:21pm | Addicks & Barkers Reservoirs Water Release begins - it's later reported that the release was 5,000 cubic feet per second, and would increase to 8,000.
    8/28 - 1pm | NHC new advisory pushing Harvey out further into Gulf allowing for further strengthening.
    8/28 - 2pm | Mandatory evacuation ordered for city of Dickinson.
    8/28 - ??? | Exxon Mobil is in the process of shutting down the nation’s second-largest refining complex (keep in mind that half of the nation's refineries were/are in the impacted zone).

How the storm developed:
    Tropical Storm Harvey strengthened into a hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico last week and made landfall northeast of Corpus Christi, Tex., around 9:45 p.m. on Friday. It was a Category 4 hurricane with winds of 130 miles per hour. It then moved offshore before making landfall again on the shore of Copano Bay, this time as a Category 3 hurricane.

It brought devastating amounts of rain to an area that includes some of Texas’ most populous cities. It stretched along the state’s Gulf Coast from Corpus Christi to Houston, and inland to Austin and San Antonio. Parts of Louisiana were also expecting heavy rain.

What’s happening on the ground?

At least five people have been killed and more than a dozen injured. Houston, the fourth-largest city in the United States, has been inundated. Unlike many other cities in the hurricane’s path, Houston did not order evacuations before the storm, and countless residents were trapped in flooding homes.

People fled to higher floors, and then to roofs; the Coast Guard rescued dozens. Chief Art Acevedo of the Houston Police Department warned residents not to take shelter in their attics “unless you have an ax or means to break through onto your roof.” Emergency dispatchers were overwhelmed, and some people began pleading for help on social media. Many people shared an image of nursing home residents sitting in waist-high waters before they were rescued.

What made Harvey so powerful?
    What set Harvey apart was its rain. The downpour has been torrential and unceasing. Once the storm made landfall, it essentially stalled. Roads in Houston and elsewhere were turned into raging rivers. The rain was not expected to let up for days.

By the time the storm ends, some areas may see more than 50 inches of rain, forecasters said.

“This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced,” the National Weather Service tweeted Sunday morning.

Who is responding and how?

President Trump responded to the storm with a series of tweets, noting the severity of the disaster and praising emergency workers. He signed a federal disaster proclamation and made plans to visit Texas on Tuesday.

Houston opened its convention center as a mass shelter, and Dallas planned to do the same. Tens of thousands of people spent the weekend in shelters. In San Antonio, some of them talked to a Times reporter about their fears for what awaited them back home.

People escaping flood waters as a last resort, do not stay in attic. If highest floor of your home becomes dangerous, get on roof. Call 911 for help and stay on the line until answered. Take bottled water with you if possible and a tool so that if necessary, you can cut your way up to get onto the roof.
    If you need to be rescued, call 911 or USCG Houston Command Center at 281-464-4851. Do not report your information via social media
    Please do not drive. Stay off the roads. If you get stuck, you are endangering yourself and straining emergency resources in the process. If you are outside of Houston and concerned about coming back for work or family or any other reason, do not come here. Stay where you are.
    Precinct 7 Call Center numbers for non-emergency request and inquires:
    (713)274-3571
    (713)274-3572
    (713)274-3573

Donations to the Red Cross for those affected by Harvey can be made online, or text HARVEY to 90999.
    Donations to the Salvation Army can be made online.
    Catholic Charities is accepting donations online, or text CCUSADISASTER to 71777 to donate.
    Airbnb is waiving all service fees for those affected by the disaster and checking in between Aug. 23 and Sept. 1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because I keep telling y'all we get our own set of memes every time a bad storm hits and you guys never believe me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a page of live updates concerning the hurricane as it approaches the coast.

12:43 p.m. ET | Hurricane Helene and Tropical Storm Isaac are churning behind Florence, raising fears of a repeat of 2017’s record season.

The National Hurricane Center’s latest forecast shows Florence about 950 miles southeast of North Carolina’s Cape Fear as of Tuesday morning.

Mandatory evacuation orders remain in place for the other five counties announced Monday: Charleston, Dorchester, Berkeley, Georgetown, and Horry Counties.

News Report for our Non-US friends
    National Weather Service for Raleigh, NC
    National Weather Service for Newport/Morehead City
    National Weather Service Hazardous Weather Outlook

With only one day to prepare, here are some steps I recommend taking to those of you who may not have ever been through a hurricane/flood on the East Coast:
    1. Charge any device that provides light. Laptops, tablets, cameras, video cameras, and old phones. Old cell phones can still used for dialing 911. Charge external battery back ups.
    2. Wash all trash cans, big and small, and fill with water for flushing toilets. Line outdoor trash cans with trash bags, fill with water and store in the garage. Add bleach to sterilize.
    3. Fill every tub and sink with water. Cover sinks with Saran Wrap to keep it from collecting dust. Fill washing machine and leave lid up to store water.
    4. Fill old empty water bottles and other containers with water and keep near sinks for washing hands.
    5. Fill every Tupperware with water and store in freezer. These will help keep food cold longer and serve as a back up water supply.
    6. Fill drinking cups with water and cover with Saran Wrap. Store as many as possible in freezer. The rest you can store on the counter and use first before any water bottles are opened. Ice is impossible to find after the storm.
    7. Reserve fridge space for storing tap water and keep the sealed water bottles on the counter.
    8. Cook any meats in advance and other perishable foods. You can freeze cooked food. Hard boil eggs for snacks for first day without power.
    9. Be well hydrated before the storm hits and avoid salty foods that make you dehydrated.
    10. Wash all dirty clothes and bed sheets. Anything dirty will smell without the A/C, you may need the items, and with no A/C, you'll be sweating a lot. You're going to want clean sheets.
    11. Toss out any expiring food, clean cat litter boxes, empty all trash cans in the house, including bathrooms. Remove anything that will cause an odor when the A/C is off. If you don't have a trash day pickup before the storm, find a dumpster.
    12. Bring in any yard decor, secure anything that will fly around, secure gates, bring in hoses, potted plants, etc. Bring in patio furniture and grills.
    13. Clean your environment so you have clear, easy escape routes. Even if that means temporarily moving furniture to one area.
    14. Scrub all bathrooms so you are starting with a clean odor free environment. Store water filled trash cans next to each toilet for flushing.
    15. Place everything you own that is important and necessary in a backpack or small file box that is easy to grab. Include your wallet with ID, phone, hand sanitizer, snacks, etc. Get plastic sleeves for important documents.
    16. Write down your full name and social security number on your body with permanent marker should you be in the projected path of the hurricane. It's not fun to think about, but it will help rescuers identify you should anything happen.
    17. Stock up on pet food and fill up bowls of water for pets.
    18. Refill any medications. Most insurance companies allow for 2 emergency refills per year.
    19. Gather all candles, flashlights, lighters, matches, batteries, and other items and keep them accessible.
    20. If you can, take a video of your house and contents. Walk room to room--open cabinets/drawers and closets. This will help if you need to make a claim later. It will show proof of items and help you list all the items.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1 Cambrysiel, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. pirate

pirate TnB's Most Wanted

United States
    The storm is extremely volatile and unpredictable. NWS has pretty much given up forecasting and are only focusing on tracking the storm as it is now. We literally had no forecast at all in my area (just said 0% chance) and it is pouring rain on us so I can not get any yard work done today. I fueled up the mower and everything :angry:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. blooregardo

blooregardo padre gringo
    Paroxysm Admin

United States
    should've bought an amphibious mower moron

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Pineapple

Pineapple Legend

The best part of the storm is the fact that the bands are going across Florida and will eventually end up in the Atlantic where it will become another storm

5. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    im so glad i live where i do

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dougal

dougal low effort

United States
    reminiscent of katrina when i was a lil kid
    good luck to everyone, wish i was able to drive over and offer support or something :(

7. K33f3!

K33f3! Leave me alone

United States
    THE WATER FLOODED THE GATOR SANCTUARIES, THERE ARE ALLIGATORS IN THE WATER OUT THERE.

8. Snuggles

Snuggles Legend

United Kingdom
    isn't this how sharknado started

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
    SHARKS ALSO, DID YOU SEE THE REPORT OF THE ONE ON 290?
    ALSO HOGS IN THE WOODLANDS

10. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
    bruh katrina dropped 6 trillion gallons of water right
    harvey has.... so far.... dropped 15 TRILLION

• Zing Zing x 1
  11. Flower

Flower Jason Killer does not exist....
    TRP Admin

United States
    I heard about a family of 6 drowning in their van while trying to leave. I don't know where at but its pretty bad. I think they are also calling for evacuations of the areas surrounding the Addicks Reservoir. Be safe y'all.

12. K33f3!

K33f3! Leave me alone

United States
    • :( :( x 1
  13. TheIrishSailor

TheIrishSailor Senior Member

United States
    Things are getting bad, and two more tropical storms have propped up off the coasts of florida, north carolina, and virginia, not even sure wtf is happening right now.

14. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    hell has come to take us all, curse you trump

15. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.

United States
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. shinzokk

shinzokk Zealot

United States
    harvey is anony in disguise

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
    Bringing this dead thread back to life with some information for our East Coast TnBers & those of us who want to keep up with the storm.
    Since I'm not East Coast, some of my information may be a little off as far as timing goes. I'll update periodically throughout the next few days.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Benji Dooble

United States
    im gonna surf the storm surge into a parking garage

20. dougal

dougal low effort

United States
    Ventusky is a super cool weather website, and it shows all the named storms in the world right now. Lots of neat info, although idk how accurate its predictions are.

Hopefully anybody in the eastern bit of the Carolinas has gone ahead and found somewhere to go - I've heard that this storm is comparable in size to Katrina, and Katrina was pretty bad, speaking from experience. Even when we stayed with my grandma like an hour from the coast, we were without power for about a week. Make sure to stock up on food, water, batteries for flashlights/lamps, charge all your portable batteries/devices, and fill up your car, etc. The storm itself is pretty bad, especially if you're right on the coast, but the worst part for everyone else in the area is the damage that the storm does to the grid for the coming weeks.

21. FlatPancake

FlatPancake The Pancake That Matters

United States
    It's a good thing I work in Durham/Raleigh, right where the eye of the storm's projected to pass right over. :flatpancake:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  22. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1
  23. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    Paroxysm Admin Contributor

United States
    a captain goes down with his ship

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. Wizard

United States
    we already sold out of cases of water at work yesterday. an entire pallet of 24 packs was gone before i left for the day.

still had a few deer parks but its probably gone by now

#24 Wizard, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  25. Wheatos

Wheatos Legend

United States
    I had hoped to drive down from NY and visit either Duke or UVA until I heard. It's pretty worrisome considering my brother is stationed near Wilmington/ Jacksonville at Camp Lejeune. It was supposed to be a whole family get-together.

The last time I visited I noticed most houses were on stilts which should help with the flooding I hope. Regardless, if anyone's down there please be safe.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    right now it looks like the hurricane is going to sail over the carolinas and either push inland or stall

For everyone down south please stay safe

27. Vicaderous

Vicaderous Senior Member

United States
    Hopefully though, my house can stand through the storm, if not, Rest in pieces then.

I got everything I don’t need to live so incase I die of boredom instead, I got things to do.

But seriously, stay safe. Be smart and use your wits. Because at the end of the day, that could be all you got left.

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. SweetandSour

SweetandSour loveable sweetheart

Me IRL kayaking during the hurricane.

[​IMG]

Just kidding. Everyone stay safe, God knows I will be trying not to drown.

29. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Zealot

United States
    the ones out-of-country are cackling at our misfortune :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Wizard

United States
    south carolina checking in here-

i live pretty far inland, the most we're going to get is rain and maybe a power outage for a day or so. though a lot of people are migrating from the coast inland so it still sucks to be this far in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  31. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
  32. Benji Dooble

United States
    hurricanes are how africa punishes us for racism

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  33. Rabid

Rabid Legend

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  34. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
  35. Cambrysiel

Cambrysiel Zealot

United States
    meanwhile the storm in the gulf of mexico has a 60% (and rising) chance to turn into another hurricane so :^)

• :( :( x 1