HL2RP Uprising

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Anony, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Anony

Anony morally bankrupt degenerate

I think we owe everyone an apology. We promised an uprising prematurely and weren't ready to deliver for it due to the uncertain future for the community. I will admit that announcing the end of our iteration months before dipping into it was a clumsy move. Fortunately, the slow crawl we've been on has given a lot of the staff time to plot out the uprising without making the same mistakes as our predecessors. I'm hoping that we can offer you and your characters the closure you all deserve after years of development. I don't think it's fair to even consider letting HL2 die right now without at least trying to give us some sort of satisfactory finale. I'd feel cheated at this point and I'm sure you would too.

Last month I invited players to a storyboarding team that helped us come up with a fitting resolution which we definitely aim to deliver before the server is shut down. I won't keep dwelling on the negatives so far because I'd like to think that the last few months weren't completely wasteful: we had good escalating conflict and a fair amount of wins/losses for each faction. The problem is that the interest we'd gathered from our culminated plots around the end of November wasn't capitalized on because December hit us with finals and the holidays. I'll agree that before that things were starting to stagnate because we'd written ourselves into a hole with C24 being the capital of C17. Which brings me to my first point:

We're moving off of the C24 map. It's dead to us.

There isn't much point holding out for the edit if we don't have the population to accommodate it. The map has it faults, like all of them do - which is why there's never been a 'right' answer to this or that map is good/bad for roleplaying on HL2. I'll keep this one brief because I know it's a controversial topic and I can't imagine it would be productive to debate it here. We've devised a healthy alternative to picking one map which we expect should appease everyone.
    We are going to begin a plot-centric map rotation that will progress into C17.

The main server will go through a series of maps that will start by representing the outer-most districts and eventually reach the heart of C17. We expect to start this on either Terminal 6 or Pripyat as both of those reflect fringe districts. We're doing this because we're going to be kicking off our own mini-uprising now. The meat of the uprising (with Gordon) will commence part way through our journey rather than being the catalyst. We are meant to be spectators to it rather than actually fighting alongside him. I'd like to imagine that FGC will be responsible for opening up paths for Gordon and winning districts around him (as he'll most definitely be an off-screen plot device). The benefit of doing this system is that you'll hopefully get to play on your favorite map (we can't use them all) and say goodbye to it before we move on. Your stashes will be refunded.
    There will be equal representation for each faction. The uprising isn't for one side.

A lot of people have voiced concerns that this will be a resistance-weighted uprising (naturally) and we want to promise that we won't let that happen. The plan is to let this all play out organically and we're expecting wins and losses from both sides based on who approaches situations better. We can take the train heist event of last month for example as that had minimal planning and the victory went to the more prepared side. Inevitably the resistance will topple the CCA but it won't be sudden nor will it be without consequences or retaliation.​

More opportunities for people to get involved.

With this point we're happy to cooperate with the playerbase and make sure that everyone is sufficiently fed on plots so that nobody is left hanging. We've got a lot of ideas in mind for both sides and hopefully we'll be able to deliver all of them. One example is that we have been toying with the idea of a big city-scale event where volunteers can represent citizens that will be immediately liberated and thrown into battle with FGC versus the CCA. It's a call to arms and potentially a way to introduce a new character and have them immediately progress into the conflict (so nobody misses out, I know there's a few out there without a main character). This is one example of the sorts of things we have in mind to get the majority of you engaged and enjoying the uprising.

I've spoken to the leadership of both factions and there's going to be a dedicated drive to do more events and provide roleplay for the players so that we can make sure everyone's entertained. Expect more frequent smaller events. There will also be map-wide objectives for each side to push the campaign along. As I mentioned previously, we want this to be organic so neither side is predetermined to win. It wouldn't be fair or fun for one side to steamroll the other because the game says so.
    The planned 'big' events are still going to happen.

Operation Jane, Nova Prospekt, Ravenholm and so on are all anticipated and we expect them to follow through regardless of this change in setting. I think they're all going to be very important to our server's story. We will make a point of keeping the Uprising Campaign thread updated so that your character is aware of everything. You can also expect a lot of threads to pop up soon that further detail all these changes and objectives. I hope that it's enough to make you want to give us another chance.
    The previously-enforced PK rules will be loosened. Self-PK will lead by example.

We recently stiffened the rules to reflect the atmosphere of the server however I know it isn't that black and white. I'm suggesting that NLRs can come back into the mix and be treated as an alternative to killing off your character if it's considered too soon or inconsequential. I realize it isn't really fair to lose your character over something relatively minor. PKs will still be enforced for larger operations due to the nature of them and the risks involved. It will still be a case-by-case basis for the administration but they're encouraged to be more lenient and allow you some breathing room to make small risks that will provide roleplay. I hope this doesn't come across as an excuse to take advantage of NLR because we will be moderating everything carefully.
    I can only apologize again for what was ultimately a lackluster part one. We've learned from it and we're expecting this new change to be explosive and interesting for everyone. This doesn't necessarily mean pile into the streets with guns but conflict will naturally be even more common and there's going to be many bloody skirmishes soon. I look forward to seeing you all in the outer district where we'll start waging our war together. It's long overdue. Both factions will be giving IC briefings soon to explain the scenery change and give your characters goals. Feel free to discuss everything in this thread. This will be effective immediately. We won't keep promising things 'soon' because we aren't Valve. We're Taco and Banana.

As an addendum:

I want to clear up a misconception. Taco and Banana's HL2RP is not closing down soon.

The uprising does not mark the end of the server. I think the misunderstanding stems from the uprising being the end of the game, however, for us this is simply the next chapter. I hope this doesn't discourage you from seeking closure for your characters because we're still entirely supporting that. I can promise that we'll be able to introduce and include any new character concepts you have as the iteration progresses. The statement, which I think confused people, was that we would be shutting down HL2RP for Tekka. That's in the far future. Before that we have TRP, which we won't be closing the server for unless it loses all interest for a prolonged period. I expect a dip, but we'll be making efforts to draw you back in with events and more storylines. I have always stated that if TRP comes out and we take a huge hit, we will relegate to event-based scenarios to make sure that we at least finish things up. That's the worst case. We wouldn't give up.

The server is staying up for as long as it can do (or until Tekka is finished). I'm sorry if we previously convinced you that this was the end because I haven't been personally operating on that basis. I think rumors and the lack of addressing this point is what started the speculation. That doesn't mean we'll let things stagnate; we have every intention to keep building on the story we currently have.

The uprising, when we're in full force, will mark the next chapter of the server, not the end. It doesn't all switch off when we lose the citadel. Why should we have to wait twice? It took long enough for EP1 to come out. Imagine all the potential threads from that, such as splinter squads losing contact with the greater CCA - still fighting the rebellion in fear that the Union will immediately zip into existence with synthetics and warships. The politics and interpersonal conflict. We have considered drawing from elements of the previous post-HL2 attempt and we're definitely going to keep delivering for as long as you'll have us. If there's interest in a server, if people still play and populate us in the 60s, it doesn't make sense to shut us down. It is up to us to keep expanding our content because we share the same enthusiasm as you do. The team isn't burnt out and we'll keep offering you more twists and turns for as long as you keep playing. I hope that we've done a good enough job so far and we're expecting the next few weeks to pick up dramatically as we finish up this stage and enter the real revolution as seen in the games. Symmetry's event retrieving the HEV suit, while a surprise for a lot of us, goes to show both the creativity and narrative drive provided here. I'm really happy to see it.

It's entirely our intention to keep HL2RP for as long as we can, even if we do plan on shutting it down to make way for Tekka. It isn't justifiable to do it right now when interest is so high and the community wouldn't have anything serious in the interim. We were a HL2 community first. TRP is going to be great, I'm sure, and I'm going to play there, but my heart is with the foundations and I'm going to make sure we treat our HL2 with the respect it deserves. Expect a lot more opportunities to sign up for big events that play a part in the server's progression and overarching plot. If you'd like to help us out, we're open to that too.

We are still accepting people into the HL2 planning board/discord channel so that you can be involved in the talks that set up these great scenes and stories.

• Winner x 31
    • Friendly x 4
    • Late x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    #1 Anony, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. wester

wester Kiruclanz 2.0

Canada
    fuck yes i love you anony

3. Cato

Cato Zealot

United States
    [​IMG]
    Anony does it again. You've got me super fucking excited. WOOOOOOOOOO

4. Mox

Mox I had strings but now I am free...
    Contributor

mmmmmm love seein those paragraphs comin outta that orange name mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Horten-229

Horten-229 Zealot

United States
  6. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian
    Paroxysm Admin Contributor

United States
    i stand with anony

7. Mox

Contributor

I STAND WITH ANONY

8. Neurotic

Neurotic Senior Member

United States
    i

fucking

love

you

anony

cheers

9. The Red Menace

The Red Menace Silent Hill Extraordinaire
    Contributor

United States
    Have my children good sir

10. Mox

Contributor

turns out that this was all a scheme set in place by anony to rig the polls for his re-election campaign next year

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Anony

We're just waiting on a box restart then all your stashes will be refunded and the map will change away from C24.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. TankNut

TankNut Is Tekka done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Smh anony prematurely announcing a map switch after admitting the uprising was announced prematurely

• Funny Funny x 6
  13. Wheatos

Wheatos Legend

United States
    A genuine thank you is all I have to offer at this time.

Thank you, staff.

14. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    i'll probably come back if this actually happens

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Hoplite

Hoplite send me $20
    Developer

United Kingdom
    ok you're good to go

p.s. anybody else not read what anony posted?

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. Newticus

Newticus thotticus
    Paroxysm Admin Contributor

United States
  17. Symmetry

Symmetry Kwisatz Haderach

Canada
    Did people actually quit playing because stashes were removed?

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Late Late x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  18. Scone !

Scone ! I am not a bot

United Kingdom
    ahahahaha

probably

19. Raklo

Raklo Legend

United States
    tnb reacts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    #19 Raklo, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  20. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
  21. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    why are the is the black guy the shotcopper

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  22. HardHat

HardHat that thing bob the builder wears

United States
    Been waiting

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  23. jules

jules Saver of TnB

United States
    i want half of these winner ratings or i post a ban request on you anony

• Winner x 4
    • Optimistic x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Artistic x 1
    • Late x 1
    • Dumb x 1
  24. hawkeye

hawkeye Zealot
    TRP Admin

United States
    Good to see the rules about the NLRs and PKs

I definitely want to be apart of all this now, just need my comp to be fixed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    #24 hawkeye, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  25. Bennet Dyson

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator

Ireland
    boys stroking themselves to climax before anyones even gotten to do anything

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
  26. David Heinrich

United States
    Hurray I came back just in time for Half Life 2 to fucking die

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. DTBWolfie

DTBWolfie Zealot

United States
    I skimmed through this and it sounds great and all, but I got a few questions.

1) How will citizen/non-affiliated characters be involved? Will there be stuff for them at all besides "/me hides", etc. Will they have to pick a side? I don't really have any characters with a "side" since I have barely been on, but I'd love to come on and participate in any way possible to end off the iteration.

Edit: "One example is that we have been toying with the idea of a big city-scale event where volunteers can represent citizens that will be immediately liberated and thrown into battle with FGC versus the CCA." Just saw this. Will it be volunteer only or freely joinable?

2) What happens to characters after the closing of the iteration? Are we assuming that everyone dies/meets some sort of end-story or are characters able to be left open-ended; can characters return if HL2RP is rebooted in the future provided they aren't PKed/dead IC-wise?

28. Rabid

Rabid Legend

I think the idea of 'non-affiliation' kinda goes out the window when the Uprising comes, in a way. You're definitely not gonna side with the Combine because they'll just murder you and are liable to follow the Rebels to get yourself out of the city and away from the fighting, even if you don't stick with them.

This is doubly true if we follow the idea that most occupation-style 'perma-refugee camps' would probably cease to exist as they did before shit hit the fan as they move to shack up and reinforce places like White Forest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  29. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    while i dont think the uprising would really have everyone on either of the two sides in a real-world scenario, we're very likely to have something along those lines with the uprising on tnb
    the truly neutral elements will be so rare and scarce that planning the entire uprising to include them is wasted effort. "truly neutral" really means "truly neutral", for reference, because if you're not with the union, you're basically already with the resistance unless you literally lock yourself in a room until everything blows over. being part of either side of the conflict isn't necessarily acting with it, but simply *not* acting with the other side.

tl;dr the uprising has no neutral side because not joining the union means you've decided against it and they will treat you as a foe while the resistance is likely going to treat you as an ally until you attack them too, at which point you're not neutral either - but simply a third group

i dont doubt the uprising itself will involve citizens and give them a chance to get involved, but that involvement will likely consist of being conscripted into either of the two factions - or atleast hunkering down with either of them

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  30. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    "We're doing this because we're going to be kicking off our own mini-uprising now. The meat of the uprising (with Gordon) will commence part way through our journey rather than being the catalyst. We are meant to be spectators to it rather than actually fighting alongside him. I'd like to imagine that FGC will be responsible for opening up paths for Gordon and winning districts around him (as he'll most definitely be an off-screen plotdevice)."

Will Nova Prospekt still kick it off like in the games? Because "Operation Jane, Nova Prospekt, Ravenholm and so on are all anticipated and we expect them to follow through regardless of this change in setting" sounds like Nova Prospekt happens later in our Uprising rather than being the spark.

Just trying to clarify.

31. Rabid

Rabid Legend

Nova Prospekt will kick it off, yeah.

Those three things were plots we had to kick off our section of events that'll lead up until shit hits the fan. They'll be accelerated, naturally. We won't cause the Uprising, we'll just follow through with it.

32. McCrae

McCrae Has absolutely no life

Canada
    I've only been waiting for 8 years.

33. Anony

We're a few days into this now. Any thoughts, comments or criticisms? As far as I'm aware there's been a big boost in population and to accommodate that we're introducing more staffers with the game moderator position. We're not omnipotent so any sort of advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

34. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    + big pop boost
    + high pop in turn attracts more new players
    + tons of rp going down because of the pop
    + tons of rp also going down because of the storyline
    + very inclusive as far as i could tell (even new players were involved)

- pacing feels a littlebit rushed (2 days on pripyat? shit map but u kno...)
    - new players dont always get the attention they deserve (ive seen atleast one new guy leave after asking for help bc nobody got to him in time)

• Agree Agree x 3
  35. Cato

Cato Zealot

United States
    I've felt like we breezed right through pripyat way to quickly, mostly due to everyone's inherent dislike of the map. But as Anri stated above, ye. There's no rush people. My only main criticism is that there's a shit load of rebels all the damn time whenever anything happens, like jesus christ 49 out of 50 citizens all geared up in heavy shit is pretty scary against maybe twenty units tops if that. Hopefully though numbers get a bit balanced out, I know it makes sense for there to be more rebels most of the time but sweet jesus guys. It's not very fun for the CCA to have to rely on APC's, choppers, and other things just to survive, so please refrain from rofl stopping everything completely just cause you got the numbers to do it, and no I'm not referring to S2K's, I could give two damns about those. But it's still very early and hopefully things tend to just calm down a tad is all, let us get full usage out of the maps, like I said no rush.

• Agree Agree x 2
  36. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    i mean, to be entirely fair, choppers and apcs and striders are exactly what makes the union dangerous
    i agree that the numbers are a little off tho and that it makes for a pretty onesided uprising atm
    if we cant get more units we gotta get more striders...

37. Cato

Cato Zealot

United States
    Yeah, my main point is that it's shitty for ground units cause they just sit there and either get wounded or dead to all heck, and then the big boys in the big guns just go to town. I'd like to see more even footing there is all. Not just, suddenly REBELS and then you got fucking striders and shit everywhere cause all the CCA just got fucking swarmed to shit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  38. Anony

I did express that this won't be one-sided victories. There's definitely room for the CCA to 'win' maps and we'll make sure that happens because it wouldn't be very fun for half the server otherwise. We're letting things be fluid at the moment but it will be easy to write in ways in which Combine can win over the resistance in x or y situation.

You have to keep in mind that Pripyat was meant to be the fringe-most district in C17 with minimal staff stationed there. It doesn't surprise me the resistance overwhelmed it already. That won't be the case every time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  39. Cato

Cato Zealot

United States
    Ofcourse, just wanted to make sure it was expressed is all, I sorta expected pripyat to get fucked big time but just not so quickly. No biggie. Gazing through binocs to see a blob of thirty names all wearing fucking big ass vests tends to make one shit bricks is all lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  40. popo

popo Zealot

United States
    hl2_Pripyat was also supposed to represent a district right on the edge of the city. The districts should become more and more controlled the further they go in

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1