HL2 - East, or West?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bennet Dyson, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mox

Mox RIPPED SEXED BITCHED AS FUCKED
    Contributor

I was typing that before I saw your post, you castrated clown.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  3. Kieck

Kieck poland can into space

Poland
    I feel like having Berlin as the main location is good enough, just make sure to point out it's going to be residential and industrial districts rather than c24 or bundestag areas so people don't get ideas.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    Budapest or bust

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Raklo

Raklo Legend

United States
    anything isolated from c17 so that we can plausibly do whatever the fuck we want

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. _Vintricus

_Vintricus Legend

United States
    hl2 in vienna with a depressed arnold schwarzenegger as the city administrator

7. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    xen occupation rp

all vortigaunts

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Annoying Rooster

United States
    Has City 8 ever been brought up? Or is it best to not talk about City 8.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman New Blood

United States
    You’re wrong.

E;
    I think it would be cool and we already have maps for the aesthetic, unlike so many other suggestions. Furthermore, the coastline isn’t far off anywhere you go. Granted, it looks buttfuck nothing like the Japanese coast, but the Transamur and Vladivostok isn’t that far off. A degree of separation from city 8 via water would be an interesting mechanic—something that prevents you from getting to the outlands/coast server (god willing) just by leaving C8.

On that note, why not Vladivostok/Far East Siberian coast? It’s pretty separate geographically but maintains the eastern europe aesthetic, with easily accessible forests and coastlines.

Not that any of this matters, since location should be a moot point. I just want a place to fanboy for Kolchak.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #130 feelsgoodman, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  11. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    i echo the last part

12. Kieck

Kieck poland can into space

Poland
    enjoy walking into dog shit every few steps

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Bennet Dyson

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator

Ireland
    the illusion of choice is what people need

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. valerstein

valerstein RANDAL

Oh never mind I fucking love Vladivostok

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Rabid

Rabid Legend

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Decepti

Decepti 1992

United States
    start to my mega ramble post: i know it's probably far, far too late for my word to mean anything since i'm sure everything about the setting has been planned out by the staff at this point, but i feel like this gives me an opportunity to talk about some of my own thoughts on the rp's setting

i dig the idea of stepping away from city 17 and looking on to other cities since they really give us more of a blank slate to work with, and honestly, a setting i've always loved to think about working with is a US northern-east coast setting. (think new york city, boston, baltimore, etc.) the concept of a classic american skyline dominated by 50's-60's art deco with sprinkled in gothic and modern skyscrapers towering around the city center while they themselves are being dwarfed by the combine's citadel would be an all around pretty awesome and imposing sight imo, like HL2's 2001-era builds. not to mention, the general art direction of half life 2 would really excel in this case- that is, traditional architecture being progressively taken over or repurposed by unfamiliar, futuristic alien structures/tech. some ingame images i took to try to show what im talking about-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i really do think we could get some compact, snazzy looking, gritty industrial districts and cluttered city centers, with various buildings/districts connected by a series of catwalks above (which arent restricted just to authority personnel for no reason but could actually serve a purpose of getting around) and maybe even the same nooks and crannies that come with urban clusters. it's a setting that i think could be explored, and has been made in maps that i think could be repurposed for use in TnB, if given time and effort.

a good portion of half-life 2's vanilla props could fit the setting, and i believe an additional prop pack such as rp_v_torrington's (which includes early-mid 2000s american electronics and english signs) could finish it up. in all, i think @DiBen 's post really said all that i was wanting to say about an east coast setting.

alas i doubt a setting like this would ever actually make it through to tnb given the complications already posted about by users before me, not to mention i don't think there are a lot of staff members who share as much of an interest in it either

HOWEVER
    there is ANOTHER setting which was also part of HL2's early life that did sort of make it into retail half life 2, and i think could fit into tnb's type of settings and could have a far greater chance of making it in, and that's what i like to see as a 'mixed' prague-esque setting. i shouldnt say 'mixed' since it basically is prague, but imo it looks like a bit of a mix between american east coast-like architecture and more gothic, central european buildings based on prague, some imagery to show off what im talking about-

[​IMG]
    (this industrial area in general could really fit both the northeast coast and prague-esque settings perfectly anyways)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (the very top image is an old map known as c17_01 or d1_garage, i'll just be calling it industrial, the bottom two terminal)

this ties back into what i was talking about previously; aesthetically, it's a mix of traditional, gothic, and vaguely modern architecture with futuristic alien technology creeping onto it. functionally, it serves as a compact, cluttered map with various potential buildings to serve as apartments and shops. (think industrial17, while there are people who really don't like it, i'd say something it was good at was promoting rp by putting people into a moderately sized, cluttered urban environment) and again, included are the various nooks and crannies of the urban jungle.

the three screenshots above are from the old city 17 plaza/terminal, the top two are straight from the beta files and the third is from a fan-fixed version of it. (also on the beta engine) there are various fixed up terminal maps and the industrial map ported over to the retail souce engine on the gmod workshop which i think could be repurposed/edited for rp

i will admit that this suggestion has a few glaring usses, as well. the biggest one is that with the maps i mentioned, a lot of people that ported them over actually ported over their more popular E3 counterparts, and the uploaders have straight up kept in the scripted sequences and all. with the industrial map, while various factory interiors are present, there's next to no residential/commercial space. as for the terminal plaza, while there are buildings that could serve as potential residential apartment buildings and shops, lacks a lot of interiors and has some paths that just go nowhere.

i'm personally not very experienced in hammer or map making, so i'm not sure how difficult it would be or how much time it'd take, but it would be pretty cool to see the scripts disabled/removed, the terminal map fleshed out a bit with more interiors for extra shops/apartments, all the while being conjoined/stitched to the industrial district (think like that one city17 map which merged the first couple of sections of HL2's city 17. the two maps i'm talking about actually functioned somewhat similarly to the original half-life 2, with the sections connected via a tunnel loading screen, pictured below)

[​IMG]
    the terminal-industrial transitional tunnel, industrial side
    [​IMG]
    terminal-industrial transitional tunnel, plaza's side

it just really irritates me that the only maps that can easily be found on the workshop are filled with scripted events when the original storyline-focused beta maps themselves are relatively barren and modifiable when it comes to npcs/events and could (hopefully) be easily removed. iirc, i think they actually have more interiors in them. these files are relatively easily accessible, too, it's mostly a matter of removing the few scripted events there are and adding interiors to the terminal plaza, then porting them over to the retail source engine, though i'm not sure how possible that would be either

given the prague/european setting, i'm pretty sure a good chunk of the props we already use for hl2rp would fit well into the prague setting. hell, i'm pretty sure most of the props we have now were around during HL2's prague era as well.

i also want to add that i know TnB actually used a beta map based on a mix of half life 2's 2001-2002 era before (i forget what it was called, city17_beta_full or something like that?) but it was absolutely massive and really empty if the server wasn't at max pop, so i hope it didn't leave a bad taste in too many people's mouths when it comes to beta-influenced locations.

i REALLY do believe a city like prague represented by the prague/american-based industrial & terminal plaza maps pictured above could really have potential as a fun and new setting for tnb, and i'd love to get a bit of a breath of fresh air with something i haven't seen used before. i don't think it'd really hurt to try new things this early- if it doesn't work out, well, hl2's final city 17 already carries a hint of prague which often carries over into other hl2rp maps, so i don't think we'd have as much of a problem with switching around maps. in any case, industrial17 already fits the bill since it seems to be partially based on the american/prague era anyways, so i'd be happy with it too in the end

in the end tho, i know this thread was literally just asking 'western or eastern?' and i went way over the line with this post with rambling and other bullshit, and a lot of the things i talked about here are probably near impossible, and i probably couldnt change the staff's opinion on the setting. (if they've already settled on one) a lot of it is most likely wishful thinking on a nuclear, but this is just something i've always thought about for years when it came to tnb's settings and just wanted to finally get some of my own word out there about it, idk maybe something could be worked out with this concept (sorry if there are some parts of this post that seem nonsensical or go nowhere my browser fucked up and i lost the post for a moment so im not sure if anything i cut out is still in here or what)

unrelated bonus: as for new starts i think it'd be best to just let the people have their fun, it's gonna be a new iteration and i dont think people with old chars should be walking around being all "Hey Remember the City 17 Uprising? Shit was Cash Bro" but if there are people out there think it'd be fun to play their characters again and try out new ideas with them, let em. otherwise i think all that will happen is they'll just find a way to slip through the system. something like a different universe/timeline, or whatever

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    #136 Decepti, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019