Half Life 2 - Before The Storm

Cindy

Roleplay Department Administrator
Nov 30, 2015
Identity
She/They
we got on the RR early and we were punished by hoplite and gangleider spamming us with SLAMs and entrapping us with permaprops

in the words of the great poet lloyd: i wanna go home

send help

Last edited:

Chiss

Mar 18, 2018
Identity
She/Her
I (lacey nunez, professional race betrayer) won't be able to make it for the event tonight as i was recently SUDDENLY hired for a new job, but ill be on tomorrow

Stierlexia!

meme thief
Jan 31, 2017
Identity
She/Her
massive props to the staff team for setting this rr up, i had ridiculous amounts of fun as Oliver Roberts

also massive props to the vortiguants, fucking stellar quality of rp. i shed a tear when gretel died

wester

Kiruclanz 2.0
HLNA Admin
Mar 7, 2015
Identity
He/Him
excellent last event, really enjoyed. thanks for letting me help out boys, hope it was a blast.

Lumine

Legend
May 24, 2016
Identity
She/Her
does anyone have video of the citadel being shit out i completely forgot about the event omg

bennet

May 22, 2011
And that wraps up the HL2 prequel events! Started slow and died in the middle but I did say you wouldn't be missing much, the events for yesterday and today were what it was all about.

I hope everyones looking forward to HL2 after that, and also hope everyones happy with the portal effects, Bungo and I spent a bit of time getting the skybox portals + citadel entrance ready.

Sinclair

The Shaman
Feb 15, 2015
And that wraps up the HL2 prequel events! Started slow and died in the middle but I did say you wouldn't be missing much, the events for yesterday and today were what it was all about.

I hope everyones looking forward to HL2 after that, and also hope everyones happy with the portal effects, Bungo and I spent a bit of time getting the skybox portals + citadel entrance ready.
honestly the citadel and portal effects made the whole thing. the text is great for your imagination, but to physically see a representation of such a thing in game is an entirely different thing.

Ghost

yuge guy
May 20, 2011
had a decent time with it all but missed the very end.

if this type of effort from admins and players is pushed into hl2, stuff could be real good for a long term server.

Cindy

Nov 30, 2015
Identity
She/They
Great stuff.

The first opening days were a breath of fresh air. I had no idea seeing vortigaunts dorkily run around city streets again would feel so fucking good. (@DiBen) Even though the very nature of an RR is by definition a scripted experience, I couldn't help but feel like the experience was organic and truly something I could maneuver a character in with confidence. I and many others have spent years enjoying this setting and to have even just a taste return was so enjoyable.

The conflicts felt real (and almost relevant on a meta level) and I'm so glad that even when shit hit the fan the military was still crazy hesitant to delegate any shred of trust to the vortigaunts. But nothing unifies better than a common goal.

bennet bennet @pvt. bing 'b' bing? Those final portal effects, entwined with the tone-setting music, were absolutely chilling. It's few times where I feel like I'm actually in the metaphysical shoes of my character and that was one of those times. I'm going to need a track name for that song, though.

bennet

May 22, 2011
yeah i did scroll up to play a random tune while we were waiting a bit so it was probably that one, ngl i found 90% of those tracks an hour before the event what a god send they were actually perfect

Cindy

Nov 30, 2015
Identity
She/They
God, you know what? I can't get my mind off that fucking music. I'm going to keep talking until someone forcibly shuts me up, because damn I am moved.

Listening to that track over and over again, there's nothing creepy or foreboding about it. There's nothing intrinsically tied to the track that sticks out to me like it would be menacing, or that it's heralding something unspeakably awful. And yet those things are exactly what impress upon me when I listen to this track because of how it was used in the event. That track is bound to that memory in my mind and if for whatever reason I hear it again in another event I'm going to be unable to detach it from it from the visual of seeing those portals in the sky. You managed to pair something horrific and cataclysmic with a graceful sound. We all knew as roleplayers what was coming, and yet I still felt so suspended as the track guided the roleplay that was had. Serene is the only word I can use to perfectly articulate that experience.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a sucker for anything violin/cello/viola/etc. but man. That final moment was pure art. Definitely one of the best experiences I've had on any TnB server to date.

Lumine

Legend
May 24, 2016
Identity
She/Her
music brings a lot of emotion into roleplay, as seen from the uprising and i'm glad people are popularizing it more. i think we'll see a decline with it in city because of events that don't affect all players in the server, but just ambient music playing from time to time will do so much.

example w/o context:

Cindy

Nov 30, 2015
Identity
She/They
music brings a lot of emotion into roleplay, as seen from the uprising and i'm glad people are popularizing it more. i think we'll see a decline with it in city because of events that don't affect all players in the server, but just ambient music playing from time to time will do so much.

example w/o context:
You forget that is exactly why stream radio exists. Stream radio is perfect for setting the tone for small groups.

bennet

May 22, 2011
i really hold the lorn series of tracks in high regard, but i try very hard not to use them

for me they signal the uprising + the opposite end of phl2, they invoke very strong feelings in me when it comes to that, i was happy to find another low key series of tracks i could use for this rr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)