Forums - Richard

• Attention
    • Do not post useless +support.
    • Do not post personal vouches.
    • Do not shitpost or derail.
    Failure to adhere to this will get you infracted and/or banned.

A permanent ban is often a method to get the accused to post an appeal. It is not at all times the verdict.

Helios

Legend
Dec 1, 2012
Richard said:
I'm sorry for the delay in reply, but I needed to get some sleep. I want to address some of the points- fair points as they are- made against me thus far. Firstly; If up to this point the impressions has been that I don't regret my actions, I want to stress the fact that I do. Of course I do. I am in the sincerest way sorry for the actions I have taken that got myself banned. At the time I was not thinking of the destructive scope of the things that I posted. My mindset was not agreeable, and I deeply regret exposing people that very much should not have to see the sort of things I posted. I am sorry. You are not an inconvenience. You're a community that I love, that I have wronged. Secondly, intent in ehat I have posted and talked about in Discord so far was to explain why I posted the things that I did, and I feel that I have made no implocation that the rationale I had for posting it is not the way I still think. I understand very clearly that "it used to be okay" is not a justifiable excuse, it's simply the reason that at that time I believed it was okay. Of course I'm fully aware, at the time of this appeal, that it is not okay.

This is and will be my one and only offense to this community and it is one I regret deeply. To those that know me, friend or otherwise, I would hope you can see that I'm not that sort if person. To those unfamiliar, please consider the words of myself and those that would speak up for me. I am not some kind of wacko, I'm just a guy that used to be a lot stupider.

I am deeply, sincerely, and desperately sorry for my actions.

feelsgoodman

New Blood
Dec 21, 2011
Don’t double back and take this as him defending his actions by comparing them to other people. You all wanted him to explain his actions at the time and that’s all well. He did, if you read the image I posted.

If you read some of the examples in the image I posted earlier, you’d realize why he might think this wasn’t an offense worthy of getting utterly removed from the community. It wasn’t normal, certainly, but there were people you, in a position of power, tolerated for years who showed the same sort of behavior—fun fact, still tolerate! If you’re interpreting “wahh but these guys didn’t get banned” as his defense, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Mongoose

Has absolutely no life
TRP Admin
Jun 6, 2011
Personally abstaining as TRP admin, but as a general rule the "others have done it" has never worked for me, not at old TNB or TNB now.

Snaparoni

TRP Admin
Dec 15, 2014
Okay but this isn't about the people in power and this isn't about those who tolerated it. This is his own separate case, one that I have a voice over in the moment.

I don't care what other people have done, this is his unban thread. I don't want someone who thought that putting a beheading on a public forum was okay. I think you truly have to have something wrong to think anything like that is okay. Even if the internet was fucked up back then.

AKA. If I had any voice over people in power who have done the same thing, then I'd give them the same treatment.

Scouser

Zealot
Aug 3, 2011
AKA. If I had any voice over people in power who have done the same thing, then I'd give them the same treatment.
This is like 90% of the problem I have with Richard not getting unbanned FWIW. I don't think anybody is really saying 'ahh just a bit of gore lad', but it seems very apparent to me that Richard is having the book thrown at him in a way that people with more clout at TnB simply wouldn't.

Snaparoni

TRP Admin
Dec 15, 2014
This is like 90% of the problem I have with Richard not getting unbanned FWIW. I don't think anybody is really saying 'ahh just a bit of gore lad', but it seems very apparent to me that Richard is having the book thrown at him in a way that people with more clout at TnB simply wouldn't.
I mean I haven't seen anyone post a beheading in a good while...

I'm actually going to build off of this more.

A lot of people are saying that folks in the past who hold high positions have done the same thing. But I'm not going to compare Richard to others. I'm not going to go on a witch hunt to find out who posted a fucked up image five years ago and ban them.

Richard's here, though. I don't have to go looking for that. I just know that I don't want it.

And as far as I'm concerned, I haven't seen anyone post anything bad to this extent in a good long while.

feelsgoodman

New Blood
Dec 21, 2011
Okay but this isn't about the people in power and this isn't about those who tolerated it. This is his own separate case, one that I have a voice over in the moment.

I don't care what other people have done, this is his unban thread. I don't want someone who thought that putting a beheading on a public forum was okay. I think you truly have to have something wrong to think anything like that is okay. Even if the internet was fucked up back then.

I think if you read the post Helios just made you’d realize that Richard doesn’t think it’s okay. You’re worried about unbanning and sharing a community with someone who thinks posting beheadings is okay, but I can assure you if you read that post that you’re not.

Hoplite

send me $20
Developer
May 21, 2011
Richard said:
I'm sorry for the delay in reply, but I needed to get some sleep. I want to address some of the points- fair points as they are- made against me thus far. Firstly; If up to this point the impressions has been that I don't regret my actions, I want to stress the fact that I do. Of course I do. I am in the sincerest way sorry for the actions I have taken that got myself banned. At the time I was not thinking of the destructive scope of the things that I posted. My mindset was not agreeable, and I deeply regret exposing people that very much should not have to see the sort of things I posted. I am sorry. You are not an inconvenience. You're a community that I love, that I have wronged. Secondly, intent in ehat I have posted and talked about in Discord so far was to explain why I posted the things that I did, and I feel that I have made no implocation that the rationale I had for posting it is not the way I still think. I understand very clearly that "it used to be okay" is not a justifiable excuse, it's simply the reason that at that time I believed it was okay. Of course I'm fully aware, at the time of this appeal, that it is not okay.

This is and will be my one and only offense to this community and it is one I regret deeply. To those that know me, friend or otherwise, I would hope you can see that I'm not that sort if person. To those unfamiliar, please consider the words of myself and those that would speak up for me. I am not some kind of wacko, I'm just a guy that used to be a lot stupider.

I am deeply, sincerely, and desperately sorry for my actions.

i see

feelsgoodman

New Blood
Dec 21, 2011
Very astute post. They’re literally the same sentiment. Neither one is insincere or wheedling. He could have started off the bat with something like that without it being contextualized by the people who have problems with his return. Somehow, that’s a zinger.

Doggo

Legend
Jul 2, 2015
I really can't see the harm in giving him another shot at the community. He's being sincere, at least perceivably, and if he does cause any damage it won't be hard to fix whatsoever.

Plus, some reputable community members are rooting for this guy

pirate

TnB's Most Wanted
Sep 8, 2011
it looks like helios' lazy post gave yall an extra negative first impression that isn't really fair to continue to apply to richard

ultimately it boils down to him posting a shock image in a birthday thread while under the impression we were still looser with that kind of stuff, 2 years ago

he's grown up since then, no longer finds shock images funny, and wants to return. he's being forced to use other people as middlemen who are doing a poor-to-middling job at presenting his case. this really isn't worth keeping anyone perma'd over.

this isn't someone who doxes people or any kind of dumb shit like that, he just had a heated gamer moment and posted a shock image/video/thing because at the time it seemed funny. he's never done anything else wrong. if we all got permanently banned the one time we did something really stupid there'd be about 10 people at tnb. can't yall cut the fella some slack?

Nat Attack

Legend
Dec 28, 2014
In regards to what Snaparoni Snaparoni yeah anyone who legitimately enjoys gore is a fucking weirdo full stop. The thing is I don't think it's the actual gore that Richard found funny but people's reactions to it. I'm inclined to believe his thinking went "oh I'll post some gore because it'll get the people rowdy and start a shitposting storm, that could be fun!" and not "Wow gore is funny let me share this with everyone because it's funny."

Yeah the former is bad but the latter is worse and I think Richard's grown up enough where he's not going to go around posting gore to try and goad reactions out of people so I really don't see the harm in unbanning him. If your issue, though, is that he likes gore and you're afraid that he'd post more because he likes it, I can pretty confidently say that I'm almost sure he doesn't get anything out of it. Maybe he's desensitized to it but I doubt there's any pleasure from it. If that's the case then it kind of disqualifies the idea that he'd do it again because he enjoys it.

i.e. he fucked up because he wanted to get people rowdy. The dude doesn't get any legitimate pleasure from posting gore I think.

Newticus

(★★☆☆☆)
Mar 16, 2013
Paraphrasing what I put in Discord. Take it with a grain of salt as I did not see the thread nor the pictures, and most of my information is second-hand.

After some time thinking about it, I think Richard should probably be unbanned from the forums. Gore is gross, disgusting, and has no place on this forum. That was the case when this happened, and the statement "It was more acceptable at the TnB that I remembered" doesn't alleviate blame from Richard as much as provide an explanation of why it happened in the first place to those who so desired it. Aside from that, I think Richard is just the victim of impeccably poor communication. I'd never unban someone with a first post like that, but he's not exactly able to defend himself right now, and almost everyone who's posted on his behalf have hindered more than helped.

I talked to Richard in Discord pretty extensively because I was torn on how to feel about this one, but after deliberating and having several people that I trust from multiple social circles provide character witness, I find it hard to look at this and feel he shouldn’t be unbanned. The post itself wasn't targeted harassment, and the person who's thread it was confirmed this. Rather, it was simply a post of extreme ignorance for other people's reaction that has since been remedied. Richard apologized for the goreposting, both to Bungo and to the community as a whole. He acknowledged that what he posted was immature, in bad taste, and banworthy. He's got a clean track record beyond this situation, and has had plenty of time to reflect on his actions. His message feels genuine in the consistency of it alone, something that really couldn't be translated well through the telephone-game that is forum unbans. He isn't banned from TRP, and has expressed a genuine desire to interact with the community once again.

I don't think there's anything else that you could request of someone trying to get unbanned short of flagellation. That being said, that first post is absolutely awful. I'd never unban someone if that was all they offered. Luckily, in this case, it wasn't.

Last edited:

Enraged

Mana Addict
TRP Admin
Jan 26, 2018
Alright I'll admit that I made my original post based on the idea that he just didn't give af about putting effort into his appeal.
I'm not sorry about it though because haiku's are wonderful.

Truth be told I'd say that the one that got hit the worst out of this is Bungo cause he had to deal with cleaning the pics up last time.
If he's cool with Richard being unbanned then so am I.

pilotfish

vitriolic shitbird
May 20, 2011
I've known Richard for a few years now. He's a quiet, friendly, inclusive sort of roleplayer. I don't know why he did this, and it doesn't strike me as fitting with his normal way of going about.

I think he said and did a few things in this appeal that weren't ideal, but I also think it's a bit of a stretch to twist that into 'He thinks he didn't do anything wrong; what a psychopath'.

I agree 'other people have done worse' doesn't hold water. I think probably he hadn't considered the impact of what he did on younger minds, when he did it. Judging from the shift in tone, I think he's been considering that.

As someone who's hopped on more than a few moral jihads, I think maybe there's a little bit of getting kicks in on an easy target.

He did something bad. He's sorry about it, and he's not going to do it again. It's not an appeal that's going to move us emotionally to back poor Richard's plight against a cruel system, but idk if that's the standard we should be expecting. He does have a point about how these things tend to move a little better when the appeal is written from a position of insincere and sycophantic guilt.

He's sorry, and he's not going to do it again. I don't think any better of him for it, but, again, that's not really the standard we should be expecting.

Snaparoni

TRP Admin
Dec 15, 2014
i still think its odd someone would post this content in 2018 wheres its pretty safe to assume its not acceptable but whatever.

im going with what enraged said. im no longer hell bent on keeping you away (though im still uncomfortable at the idea personally, but thats a me thing) but you made bungo have to go through that experience which is completely fucked. if he doesnt want you back still, i dont want you back. simple as that.

sneezing slug

miko oshikawa LIVE!
TRP Admin
Nov 30, 2015
I just think that the OP set a very bad precedent and the sentiments that the discord snippets reflected should have been there from the get-go. The people that were quick to be repulsed were hardly being unreasonable or asinine with their responses simply based on the offense and the initial lackluster appeal provided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)