Eternity

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by TankNut, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:46 PM.

1. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    After being in development for just over 10 months and existing as a loose set of ideas in my head for much, much longer than that I guess I might as well do a bit of a proper writeup of what this thing actually is. So without further ado:

Eternity
    noun
    • infinite or unending time.
    • a state to which time has no application; timelessness.
    • the time it'll take me to finish this.
    Disclaimer: Not actually finished

Eternity is at it's core a complete, from the ground up redesign/rework of Combine Control. Borrowing the same UI style and some design decisions, while completely reworking other parts. The code itself has been written from the ground up to be much more versatile and easier to work with from a developer's perspective.

That being said, as the disclaimer mentions the script isn't fully finished yet. So while we're launching soon there will likely still be things I've either forgotten to implement or simply haven't gotten around to yet. Expect a lot of updates the first few weeks while we get situated.

Between major reworks, small tweaks and all kinds of other additions made I could be here for hours trying to explain everything. So for now I'll list some of the more notable features already finished and go into more detail about the rest (with screenshots) either close to or during launch when I have more time to do so.
    • Models are now handled via a system similar to TRP but with separate torso/leg choices and significantly improved performance
    • Stats aren't a thing
    • Grid-based inventories and drag/drop support, items support internal inventories
    • Replacement of the character/combine flag system with the concept of species and a physical ID and biosignal system
    • Updated character records
    • More surveillance options through controllable cameras and bodycams
    • Combine features are accessed through physical terminals rather than your character menu
    • The ability to turn almost every part of the HUD off individually
    • A completely revamped spawn selection system
    • In-game map file editing for admins
    • Character speed will be based on your currently equipped items (More armor = slower movespeed)
    • The armor bar doesn't exist anymore, instead armor works through a damage multiplier which is based on the same level that is used to calculate your character speed.
    • Ammo functions on a mixed system between HL2 and ZRP. You load an ammo type into a weapon by dragging the ammo item onto the weapon itself, but ammo itself is infinite.

• Winner Winner x 49
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #1 TankNut, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:46 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:59 PM
  2. Miguh

Miguh Zealot

Portugal
    Is naruto-running over now?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :( :( x 1
  3. snuggles

snuggles jimmy flanagan 1985

United Kingdom
    You mention the model system has changed, does this also apply for Civil Protection models or are they akin to the one-ragdoll method for Terminators on TRP?

4. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    This applies to everything you'll wear as a human, including CCA models. Though full-model suits are being used for overwatch and may be added for humans later down the line depending on what we end up doing.

5. snuggles

United Kingdom
    So heads have a 'CCA Headgear', along with the rest of the body having their own gear?

Also, you mentioned stats are gone, but are traits still a thing? More specifically, language traits?

6. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    You have CCA pants, a CCA suit and a CCA mask. All of them can be swapped out individually.

Languages exist as their own thing (They're not a character creation option, yet) so you can have multiple if you're leaning that way. I'd like to avoid traits or any kind of inherent character advantages if possible but maybe after launch.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Santoro

Santoro Legend

are there vocoder voice commands and if they are different how do they work

8. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Won't be in at launch but will be added later down the line

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    Thanks for devoting 10 months of your life towards making it easier for ~100 lonely neets to try and smash each others pixel pussies.

(on the real this sounds fantastic, gj!)

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Kemikals

Kemikals Senior Member

United Kingdom
  11. Santoro

Santoro Legend

will we have a sneak peek of any sort

12. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    • "More surveillance options through controllable cameras and bodycams"
    bodycams? i hope this is developer lingo for scanners, and not ACTUAL bodycams....

please clarify

13. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Yes, it's called launch

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Actual bodycams on units, as long as they have an enabled biosignal and the person watching has the required clearance for it. Though unlike CC's surveillance, you won't be able to see any names. Nor can you listen to any conversations.

I haven't actually gotten around to making scanners yet, that'll probably come later down the line.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. BoB (Best of Boxes)²

United States
    Having tested it, they're actual bodycams, it's pretty sweet. Sadly we were all kind of running around and not typing a whole lot IC so I can't speak to whether or not they let you spot emotes that the unit may observe.

Edit: Tanknut, why you gotta be faster to me at replying, now I look dumb.

16. snuggles

United Kingdom
    Does the surveillance tell you the unit wearing the bodycam or is it entirely anonymous?

17. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    Body cams don't sound awfully conducive towards allowing units to toe the moral line, which I was under the impression would be more heavily encouraged OOCly. I suppose it's better to have the feature and consider not using it than to not have the option at all, though.

• Agree Agree x 13
  18. Doggo

Doggo Legend

Canada
    i forward the complaints. no offence, but it sounds destructive.

the CCA doesnt need nor deserve bodycams.

• Agree Agree x 8
  19. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    You select the unit from a dropdown list of every unit you can view. And again, it only works on units that have their biosignal turned on. Which is something you can freely toggle and is the equivalent of flagging up/down.

If you want to do shady stuff, call in 'off-duty' for a moment, turn off your biosignal, take off your ID if you want some extra anonymity and go for it. Or make sure that whatever you're doing doesn't look questionable through the eyes of the person that may or may not be watching you.

• Winner Winner x 5
  20. Nitra

Nitra Zealot

Canada
    does this mean admins can set multiple spawnpoints on a given map? are the days of shift+w'ing to a rp spot after a crash gone?

21. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Spawns work based on a group system. You simply use the terminal nearest to the spot you want to spawn at and it'll pop you down at one of the associated spawnpoints. (The spawns and floating text are invisible during normal gameplay)

So yes, you can have multiple spawnpoints

22. Miguh

Miguh Zealot

Portugal
    I feel like bodycams are counter-productive to any RP that you're trying to do.

I can just see whenever a unit turns their biosignal off, a massive wave of /r ''GET ME THAT MAN'S LAST POSITION, SEND A PATROL FOR HIM. As Nitra put it '' a big point of the cca is that they aren't held accountable for whatever they do in the games and on the server. why would the cca EVER issue bodycams for its officers''.

Not to say that if you're a rebel trying to do some shit to a unit, you'll get fucked by thirty units on the second that you pull your weapon out.

• Agree Agree x 9
  23. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Rations and posters and green bar of death are those gone for good?

24. sneezing slug

sneezing slug mucus mutant

yea bodycams are the only thing that sticks out to me as a negative imo but other than that i fuckin love everything else you’ve done with the script so far

• Agree Agree x 8
  25. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    For the bodycams I'd say just wait until you see it in action before you start screaming bloody murder. If does become an issue we'll address it when it happens.

For the hunger bar we've got a buff system planned as a replacement. Where eating will provide you with a temporary boost of sorts instead of hunger being a disadvantage.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. sneezing slug

It’ll be weird to have to ICly explain why the Combine doesn’t want more security for their CPs post launch if we decide to remove the bodycameras but I do admit that it’s best we wait and see before we decide that we actually dislike it.

27. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Don't have to explain anything if bodycams never existed in the first place a.k.a. retcon it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  28. VeteranGary

VeteranGary Senior Member

United States
    If the bodycams are a thing, it should be an optional thing, not something that's on every existing moment of the biosignal status. However, I do understand that it could be a temporary thing, as to restrict units from instantly headed off to start breaking their protocol, or going rogue early on in the new iteration. A sense of always being watched, like the in the novel '1984', rather than having an OOC rule in place. Allows rogues and illicit activity to occur, however with great risk.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • ...what? ...what? x 1
  29. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    I have questions.

Do you plan to or already have scanners as part of the camera system?

How do CCA get their supplies, just like before or in a different way?

What sort of weapons damage did you settle on? IE, arcady, realistic, or some mix there of?

30. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Scanners will be added sometime post-launch when I have time to implement them

CCA will be getting a supply box much like before, I hope to get it done before launch but if not it'll be added soon after

Damage is somewhere in the middle. Higher damage than HL2 but not as stupid as TRP gets sometimes

• Winner Winner x 4
  31. sneezing slug

do u think u might do that thing i slid ur way later on mayhaps @TankNut

the thing abt character creation

32. Raklo

Raklo Legend

United States
    to clarify, getting a language trait is as simple as /a need this language, right?

33. Ghost

Ghost yuge guy

The body cam function didn’t work (for me) when I tried it despite my multiple attempts, but from what I saw/heard it was a neat addition for Field Command(?) to have a bit of oversight on units. I see the potential issues but I’m interested in seeing it in action before completely dismissing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  34. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Should be yes

• Informative Informative x 2
  35. Zombiedude101

Zombiedude101 Zealot
    TRP Admin

United Kingdom
    I'm intrigued by the need to use physical consoles to access/amend the CCA database as opposed to just accessing it via the char menu, does that mean people won't be able to make quick on the fly checks with dispatch for wanted / specially noted civvies?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  36. posepsi

posepsi actually el pepso

United States
  37. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Pretty much, if you want to read up on someone's record you'll either have to find a console and do it yourself, or radio for someone else to do it

• Winner Winner x 1
  38. Zombiedude101

Zombiedude101 Zealot
    TRP Admin

United Kingdom
    That's probably for the better, in some ways - might be a balance to the bodycams/biosignals alerts. Will there still be features IE cameras tracking civvies earmarked for BOLO on the database and armed individuals?

39. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    Not at launch

40. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Are those consoles going to be baked into the maps like stoves were or will admins be able to spawn them on the fly