dont fuckin' hate boys make stalker server again god damnit

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Andrew, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Rabid

Rabid Legend

From the perspective of someone who's only ever watched the Stalker servers from the outside and/or spoken to people who're passionate about the setting RP wise the past few iterations have seemed to falter for the exact same set of reasons, more-or-less.

What put me off personally though more than anything was the rampant mugging and banditry when you dared step out of loner town to experience everything else as well as most of the conflict and other stuff eventually began to revolve either around Duty vs Freedom or the UKM.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Gram

Gram space cowboy

United States
    What are your ideas? Who cares if Bennet doesnt care for SRP. I'm curious about what you've cooked up.

3. jumbo shrimp

jumbo shrimp Zealot

United States
    hate to give that @pirate fella any credit but the last 1000th try he had on his srp server had some pretty good ideas about stalker codes of honor, misery-style realism, and factions being event-driven rather than permanent stations. these ideas have been around for years but he was apparently one of the first to ever try them and realized that he had a lot of success with it despite lack of a playerbase haunting the server

ideas that are easy in concept and implementation that shouldve been considered a long time ago, at this point nobody in power wants srp but its nice to put it down in case anything ever does come around
    1) misery-style "no turning back" type shit
    2) variety of items, shitton of sunrise suit skins. anyone following gmod srp stuff anymore should have seen the hundreds of textures, many being high res
    3) code of honor for all stalkers -- mug a shit ton of people, get fucked. kill people for no reason, get fucked. fuck with neutral people, get fucked.
    4) progression towards objectives that have actual meaning and repercussion -- tnb srp has never had a storyline other than "get to pripyat" or "get gauss rifle"
    5) give admins free reign over artifact and anomaly customization -- the same 10 anomalies and artifacts got old 8 years ago
    6) factions being event only. aside from the minority that really like playing as faction characters, there isnt a need for a permanent base on either end of the map for people to afk in

srp has always been done in a david brown type of manner. nothing exactly wrong with that, but theres a lot more to srp than what we've been given

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Morger

Morger Zealot

United States
    i just wanna hunt my artifacts and play my avatar stalkers again ok

relaunch srp 2019

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    good thing we're getting Tank's Eternity script soon!

6. Davebrown

Davebrown my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
    Senior Executive Administrator

United Kingdom
    as with all iterations on almost every rp server we have ever had, my stance was that there was absolutely nothing stopping everyone from doing more in depth stuff.

if they want to take part in SRP RPG style, they play my events

if they want to take part in the storyline mode, they do that with other community/admin driven events

the genius of tnbs success over the years is that it always has catered to both (whilst not nessacarily harmoniously)
    ive taken a lot of shit for ensuring that status quo but its kept us alive

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    The last iteration of SRP left a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest, what completely killed it was /someone/ adding a nice script function when in death most of the stuff in your inventory get damaged, when that happened the population went to 0 instantly.

The administration team elected to handle it either were too busy or didn't care that much about it, events were rare and scarce, most of the time things became really stale.

I'd rather just leave it dead. It's ran it course more than it deserved.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  8. Levinx

Levinx Zealot

Canada
    I wanna be admin

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Kinda hard to do that when u give priority to your events and ban the writers when they do something outside it (cough pirate cough)

I get where you're coming from dave but at the moment we already have TRP to do the more action element of roleplay, and I think maybe Scifi RPG elements too. If we bring back stalker lets let it be narrative driven like HL2 was. I understand people like the RPG element but if we want to bring SRP into a new, functional iteration its going to need to be narrative-driven to add some depth outside of "HIDE FROM ZE EMISSION COMRADE!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Davebrown

United Kingdom
    lol if you think he got banned for that reason

11. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Nah im just tryna farm hot zing ratings lol

• Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Zing Zing x 1
  12. Gangleider

Gangleider speak into the shell
    Non-Roleplay Department Administrator Developer

Netherlands
    working on srp is one of my first priorities once s&box comes out (after hl2), the effort is better spent elsewhere until then

• Winner x 9
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  13. _Vintricus

_Vintricus Legend

United States
    dave banned pirate because pirate out-quipped an englishman

no man that powerful should be allowed to exist

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. jumbo shrimp

jumbo shrimp Zealot

United States
    im of the opinion (from my conversations a very popular one i think) that if we were to have david at the helm of an srp server and he put the proper writers in place to push their own narratives alongside his way of doing things that srp would boom. tnb doesnt have a shortage of imaginative people and i think we all have a healthy list of people that come to mind when thinking about narrators in that sense

gangleider spoke true and im glad, tnb srpers can hold on to hope they'll see clear waters eventually

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  15. jules

jules Saver of TnB

United States
    last srp wasn't even that bad. it was the combination of a temporary community split and a few unwise script additions that made a few people unhappy that caused it to die. but other than that it went pretty strong. i enjoyed making events for srp and it really flexed my creative build ideas.

srp back up pls

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Levinx

Levinx Zealot

Canada
    That is true, you did make really good Events! But ... you mind like thanking other people that helped you make those events? I don't wanna be that guy ... you know I did help too.
    I like to think I helped a lot with your events, which makes me a good contributor. Wish I had more powers back then so I could do a lot more!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman New Blood

United States
    THANK YOU IT WASNT BAD

18. jules

jules Saver of TnB

United States
    lets get it done then young bosses.

@Davebrown

lets get the server up.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Jules you forgot the part where that iteration wasnt even planned and only happened cause someone put the server up to test for trp and didnt put a password

20. Bennet Dyson

Non-Roleplay Department Administrator

Ireland
    why would someone put up an srp running ts2 to test trp which would be using cc

why are you like this

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jules

jules Saver of TnB

United States
    smh my friggan head

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Levinx

Levinx Zealot

Canada
    why are you such a cool guy

23. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Fuck u i distinctly remember the server just bein up some day for no reason with no announcement. Maybe it wasnt for testing but someone just put it up randomly i know that

24. wester

wester Kiruclanz 2.0

Canada
    it was dave, if i remember it was just a spot of fun and lasted for two months or less

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Scouser

Scouser Senior Member

United Kingdom
    yeah dave just threw it up for shits and gigs and it went about as well as youd expect

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Puffin

TRP Admin

United States
    i miss it...

27. buffalowing

buffalowing Senior Member

United States
  28. Andrew

Andrew New Blood

United States
    Jesus fucking christ, checked this 2 days later and it blew the fuck up

DONT LET THIS BEAUTIFUL THREAD DIE KEEP IT ROLLING DO IT DO IT DO IT

• ...what? ...what? x 1
  29. Davebrown

United Kingdom
    Personally I think SRP would be best left until sandbox where we could have huge maps with a huge new playerbase and like.....yknow.

epic stuff.

having said that i dont know how to model and map etc on the unreal engine confidently

I still have the idea that i want to do which takes key elements from SRP playstyle which is ultimately what makes it popular and mixes it with a new setting, as a sort of Tekka "Sideline". EG- whats happening in the wider world outside of the standard futuristic city RP setting.
    It was intended as a prelude to the main server launch- or when that finally happens, this could run as a second one / event server.

SRP thrives because of the economy on a base level......it keeps people busy and gives them things to work towards.

The proposition was Mercenary-themed soldiers of fortune / PMC / escape from tarkov / stalker style in various hotspots around the world that would change every 1-2 weeks .... all to the backdrop of the extended world of Tekkas cyberpunk setting.

So for example one week there could be some sort of coup in an african dictatorship country and various PMC groups come in to take part on either side to profit on the conflict....so youd get the mix of faction war, mixed with the economy driving the conflict, mixed with whatever event based storyline we want to put behind it.........mixed with an open idea of new technology and stuff brought over by the PMCs

Kind of like the awesome early heist scene from Elysium , in simple terms

Then the next week it could be another hotspot where all the PMC groups, bandits and whoever the fuck else has an interest descend to capitalise on another incident. This way no matter what happens, each incident is a fairly short lived event which can have a definitive start and finale with an outcome.

Due to the nature of the "whatever we want to do" theme of cyberpunk we are not restricted by the same paranormal stalker stuff, but can certainly include it if we want.
    We can include all of the mutants, zombie outbreaks, anomaly and artifact ideas, secret underground labs and whatever......but then take it much further based on our own ideas.

And then eventually the idea would be that the main Tekka server would launch, and all of the PMC merc characters could come back to their base of operations in the city after being on operations across the world with all the money they have earned, and continue to be used there if people wanted alongside all the typical city life characters...........until another storyline event happens elsewhere in the world and we'll boot up the event server and all these guys can deploy to take part in the next conflict etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  30. Neekly

Neekly Senior Member

Canada
    why would you have stalker rp when you could do metro 2033 rp

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  31. posepsi

posepsi actually el pepso

United States
    is s&box even still a thing

32. Kashaving

Kashaving Legend

United States
    srp sounds good

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  33. Scouser

Scouser Senior Member

United Kingdom
    i think the little marshmallows in your lucky charms this mornin were actually ur happy pills dave

no offense intended i couldnt even care to remember the nth time i went out to the school/the swamp/the house on the hill to go blat some bandits

i think the biggest strength of srp lies in the supernatural anomalies and scary underground areas. i still pretty vividly remember crawling through an underground laboratory made by @jules fighting against mutants and navigating anomalies while a controller slowly made us go crazy and almost turn on each other. or the really good floating islands anomaly build that a certain he who must not be named made and it took 5 of us like 2 hours to navigate.

im not saying that combat is necessarily boring or that it doesnt have its place, if anything its the meat and potatoes of the setting but imo its hard not to look back at srp and see how little we did with the supernatural aspects of stalker and be sad about all the wasted potential.

words haha
    srp for s&box or riot

• Agree Agree x 2
  34. jumbo shrimp

jumbo shrimp Zealot

United States
    good idea but srp when s&box come out tho

• Agree Agree x 2
  35. Chad

Chad Zealot

United States
    i like srp

i can wait for srp

because i LIKE srp THAT much

36. valerstein

valerstein RANDAL

idk when s&box comes out lmao they haven't made any updates (or at least, made the updates publicly known) and i want it i want it i want it i want it

just give me some srp into my veins :3

37. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    There's a commit tracker in their discord, all the updates are literally right there for you to read.

38. Morgeta

Morgeta Senior Member

United States
    https://sandbox.facepunch.com/commits/1

39. Davebrown

United Kingdom
    I think if Sandbox granted us the ability to have MUCH better mutant npc systems etc.........then SRP could fully be perfect

Personally im obviously more in favour of doing a blend of RP and RPG playstyles especially if we were to be a bigger community again in that era to come.

Although actually my ideal situation would be if they just made a Tarkov stalker mod after release. That would be the tits.

• Agree Agree x 4
  40. baby

baby Zealot

Philippines
    you got me. let's fucking go. srp. let's go