Distant examine function / Perception increase via scope

Mads

cute when mad
Jan 14, 2012

"haha. who is that guy in the duster? n-no, the other guy in the duster, next to the two guys- ah shit."

it's a nightmare to even see who you're shooting at half the time, both for actual sniping stuff in s2rp and actually also in general engagements. i understand that seeing names pop up over heads is kind of a big deal and a huge advantage in s2k, which is why i'd like to propose an alternative: allow players to examine whatever they're aiming at at any range, so as long as their crosshair is directly on the thing they want to examine, or at least increase the perception stat when aiming through scopes and thermal imaging devices (i.e. 2x or 3x) to see names that way.

Newticus

(★★☆☆☆)
Mar 16, 2013
Scopes on HL2 would also increase your range. This same thread was made in the past, but Dave said this wasn't going to be implemented.

Mads

cute when mad
Jan 14, 2012
Scopes on HL2 would also increase your range. This same thread was made in the past, but Dave said this wasn't going to be implemented.
if we can do a riot and get an e-girl role we can do a riot and get scope zoom

mattcos

Apr 12, 2015
Binoculars did this on hl2. Apply it to TIDs. As much as i miss it i wouldn't like a sea of green names on every scope i use.

Davebrown

my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
Senior Executive Administrator
May 16, 2011
The problem is that if we increase the range, then large-scale events and any situation where theres lots of people in the same area become a huge clusterfuck on your screen.

Any proposal that id accept would need to be functional only when used with binocs, scopes, or something along those lines.

sneezing slug

miko oshikawa LIVE!
TRP Admin
Nov 30, 2015
Just make it so that you can use the context menu to examine anyone when scoping in. Easy solution around clogging people's HUDs.

Mads

cute when mad
Jan 14, 2012
Any proposal that id accept would need to be functional only when used with binocs, scopes, or something along those lines.
that's actually exactly what i suggested!
i don't need to see everyone's names at a bazillion metres away, but i should be able to recognize people when using binoculars and scopes. given how limited the range currently is, scoping in should easily give you 4x perception - or, of course, just letting me examine people at any range would also be neat.

Hoplite

send me $20
Developer
May 21, 2011
i've updated the sight range increase on scoped weapons as it was done on hl2 (code was still there, just looking at the old weapon base).

see how that goes and we can change it from there.

Bulldog

script mong
May 23, 2011
We could also just make context menu "examine" be usable with no range limit...

Last edited:

Mads

cute when mad
Jan 14, 2012
i've updated the sight range increase on scoped weapons as it was done on hl2 (code was still there, just looking at the old weapon base).

see how that goes and we can change it from there.
almost works like a charm! i'd actually say it works like a charm, but there's a small unintended side effect:

as you can see on the bottom right, the perception increase is a 360° increase - meaning even if you're not looking at something, the name is highlighted. this wasn't too apparent on hl2 because the black scope UI was layered over the names (iirc), so you didn't really see anything outside of your reticle - but now that the reticle only takes up a fraction of the screen... well, you get the idea. is there a way to "nerf" this, maybe by reducing the perception buff to a cone (30° forward or something)?

Hoplite

send me $20
Developer
May 21, 2011
that's really an issue with the old legacy style hud, it looks like.

changing that would require refactoring just for a legacy setting which isn't really something i'd want to do.

Mads

cute when mad
Jan 14, 2012
that's really an issue with the old legacy style hud, it looks like.

changing that would require refactoring just for a legacy setting which isn't really something i'd want to do.
fair! on the bright side, turning off legacy hud actually makes this work out perfectly, so anyone having screen clutter when they scope in can just do that instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)