1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dauntless, a game like monster hunter

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Duaine The Rock, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Duaine The Rock

Duaine The Rock schween suckler

United States
    Hey guys anyone in the closed beta. I got a free key while watching twitch for a totally unrelated game.
    It's a little meh right now, partly cuz i don't have friends to play with

2. wester

wester Kiruclanz 2.0

Canada
    nice one duaine

3. Horten-229

Horten-229 Senior Member

United States
    I'll try to get you a key for Tale Of Toast if you get me a key.

4. FervensPb

FervensPb Legend

Is this like Corruption of Champions or am I thinking of something else?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RGB

RGB I am not a bot
    RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    Give me some details

I'm interested

Platforms? Screenshots? Price? Release date?

6. _Nirri™

_Nirri™ Legend

Belgium
    Price = Free
    Platforms = PC.
    Release date = Somewhere early 2018.

7. RGB

RGB I am not a bot
    RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    Lovely art style

8. Duaine The Rock

United States
    @RGB

Dauntless is a soon to be free to play game similar to the monster hunter titles. In short the whole game is about fighting giant threatening monsters. Set in a sort of viking magic punk setting humanity has taken to the skies and set up home on giant floating rocks. Your character is a fledgling slayer. A person who makes their lively hood from killing behemoths, boss like monsters with individualized mechanics ranging from shooting spines to creating gusts of wind from their enormous wings. You're given a very basic set of four different weapons, a magical lantern, and some basic armor. All of which cannot be changed while out hunting across other giant rocks for behemoths.

[​IMG]
    Here's a picture of what I mean by giant floating rocks. There's whole cities and expansive biomes scattered out throughout these vast hunks of floating earth.

[​IMG]
    This picture is some concept art of said giant rocks.

Combat in the game is for the most part smooth. You're given a health, stamina, a lantern that gives special powers and refills through combat and depending on your weapon another type of gauge. Stamina can be consumed and regenerated over time to roll, blink, hop, do power attacks, and sprint.

Combat is based around combos, which are done with only right and left clicks of the mouse. Although this sounds simple each weapon is beautifully animated to be slow and heavy or fast and light. If you swing down your heavy axe at the wrong time you may find yourself carried off in the talons of an owl like monster, or skewered for massive damage by a quill shooting behemoth. I would say these combos are not as easy as simply spamming buttons, however you can learn how to do all of them relatively quick. The real skill comes in deciding which combo you can sneak in, and if you have to cut it short or not. This I can best articulate in the weapon I've been using the most so far, the axe.

The axe is a very slow moving, hard hitting and smoothly animated weapon. You can really feel the strain your character has as they lift the weapon heavier than their body weight over head, linger it, and then slam it down. This weapon has an interesting mechanic around charged attacks. Some weapons can charge attacks, meaning if you're able to charge an attack you can hold the corresponding button. This will mean you take even longer to attack, but you deal considerably more damage. The mechanic specific to the axe is if you land a charged attack as your first hit, you can then build charge for your special gauge with every other hit in the combo. If you manage to get the third tier of charge and miraculously land a full combo, which is only possible on beefier larger behemoths, you'll charge this bar considerably faster. If you fill the bar this will let you use an attack which locks you into possibly the slowest but satisfying animation. If this hits your bar will glow white. This white bar can become yellow if you fill your bar and not miss the attack, thus draining your special bar, you will get an even stronger damage buff than the white glow. This can be done to orange, then red finally. If you do not land a special attack at all you will eventually lose this massive buff and gut your DPS. If you get too aggressive on building charge you'll die. If you build too slowly you'll never reach red and probably lose any buff you get. This rewards the best play possible. This is what changes a simple right click left click attack theme into something beautiful and satisfying. Every massive specially charged attack feels rewarding and earned.

You can see this in the hammer as well. The hammer is also a slow weapon, but it has a ranged component of it. Four shells are shown on your special bark and can be used by right clicking and thus expending a shell. You must use your special key with well timed inputs to reload and not jam your cannon. Now, you can't simply just sit back and spam shells. For one you've got to get reasonably close and they don't do much damage on their own. Usually you throw them in between hits with your weapon. However if you land a full combo you can end your combo by firing the cannon part of the hammer. However instead of expending one shell it fires all your remaining shells. This leads to a fight where you've got to decide between tossing shells inbetween attacks for extra damage, or trying to land the big combo for extra damage at the risk of not getting the extra damage from lacing cannon shots between attacks.

I would say the combat is great for a closed beta. Of course the environments you encounter the beasts can be a bit repetitive, but they plan to change that soon. You do also face a few struggles such as jarring closed beta text boxes. There's only currently one character who's mouth moves while talking. It becomes jarring to listen to voices but not see lips move, but they'll implement that eventually. Another problem I've come across due to the nature of the closed beta is the majority of players are not at the very start. The way queing for groups works is if you don't reach the max party of four by 3 minutes it just puts you in with the 1-2 people qued with you. Unfortunately if it's an odd hour sometimes you'll just end up waiting 3 minutes to get solo qued. Loading times for my PC are also annoyingly long, but then again I'm running minimum specs without an SSD. A lot of my worries are only worries until they're fixed, not deep seated woes that will affect the game forever. It's got promise, if you can get a beta key or are interested in purchasing their founders pack it might be worth it. Ethically I'm against purchasing closed betas, but they've already reached the majority of their promised goals and seem to be in it for joy as opposed to profit. It's one of the few games I'd consider buying early, although tentatively. The lowest costing founder's pack is however 40$, which for me is a bit too much for a closed beta. It depends on how desperate you are. Although there's still plenty of beta key giveaways. Also it's set to launch to everyone very soon.

There's also a bunch of mechanics I've skipped over such as cutting off parts of the bethemoth, elemental damage, and general gearing shit

9. _Nirri™

_Nirri™ Legend

Belgium
    Think of Dauntless as the 'casual' F2P Monster Hunter version...

Everything about it is meant to be more casual oriented compared to the brutal, expansive things that the real Monster Hunter offers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Duaine The Rock

United States
    Casual carries the wrong connotation. They've publicly said they're not trying to out compete monster Hunter. Sure it plays different, but it isn't any less of a game. Casual implies middle of the pack and watered down.

11. Levinx2

Levinx2 Zealot

Canada
    oh hey do you also play T.I.T.S?
    Trials in Tainted Space?