Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by snuggles, Jun 11, 2019 at 6:13 PM.

1. snuggles

snuggles jimmy flanagan 1985

United Kingdom

E3's over and this shit's coming in less than a year.

Making a thread for it to keep up to date on all the news and stuff that comes out is a better and easier idea than just filling the E3 thread with it, aswell as a place to post stupid fuckin memes from the trailer.

There was a thread for the trailer that was released last year but we can use this thread to keep up to date and post any new news, like the STALKER 2 thread.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. snuggles

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

gameplay demo at gamescom and a dev q&a at pax

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. popo

popo Zealot
    TRP Admin

United States
    all aboard the hype train

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. saetia

saetia Legend

United States
    this is like the opposite of bloodlines 2 in that while i'm sure the gameplay will be amazing i'm a little uncertain if they have the themes and philosophy of the setting and genre down pat

meanwhile bloodlines 2 could literally just be a map pack for the original game with no improvements to its shit-ass gameplay and i'd play the shit out of it because the atmosphere, lore and story are so damn on point

5. posepsi

posepsi actually el pepso

United States
    i kinda wish there wasnt voice acting for the PC is that weird

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kieck

Kieck poland can into space

Poland
    nah
    I'm guessing you'd like to get deeper into V as your own character

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. saetia

saetia Legend

United States
    similar logic to fallout 4’s voiced PC, since that actively made it harder to roleplay your character with the voice and resulting limited selection of responses in conversations

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. popo

popo Zealot
    TRP Admin

United States
    for me its kinda weird too but if you've played the witcher it really works there and adds to the overall experience. I think the style of RPG is less "be whatever you want" and more "choose how this pre-defined character handles the situation" but as a sidenote it does look like they'll be much more character customization this time around than witcher at least

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gunnerstrip7

Gunnerstrip7 Warrior of Sunlight

United States
    Except hopefully made with the competence of people who know how to write a PC as something more than a single-minded pushover with a sarcastic streak

10. Sinclair

Sinclair Zealot

United States
    voice main character can work but it does hurt the customization and roleplaying ability. however, having a voice protag also can help with the story and writing and such as well if used right. hopefully they make up with the lack of one thing with more of another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    @saetia honestly all i'd say is trust in cdpr. witcher 3 was (imo) absolutely carried by its attention to atmosphere and worldbuilding, whereas the gameplay was competent but nothing to write home about. call me a fanboy but i think they'll smash it

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. saetia

saetia Legend

United States
    I think it works in the case of The Witcher or conventional Japanese RPGs where you’re assuming any given depiction of a pre-defined character but for this sort of game I think it works against it

They seem real reluctant to state whether V is a character of our own making or if they have pre-defined shit going on in terms of story and personality and this isn’t making things any clearer

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sinclair

Sinclair Zealot

United States
    ive been hoping/under the impression that the depiction of V we've seen in all the screenshots and videos w/ the samurai jacket and such is just the "default character" that games like saints row have, but you can actually change most of what you want about them.

ill be bummed as fuck if customization options arent bigly focused on.

also im wondering how they'll handle augments in story portions. like the E3 video we saw, V tried to use the knife arm things against the guy. will that change if you dont select the knife arms? will he just try and punch?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. saetia

saetia Legend

United States
    That’s good to know; I’ve never been familiar with the Witcher books so idk the frame of reference as to how close it is to the lore and source material lol.

I was under the impression that it was a pre rendered cutscene for the sake of showing off for E3 and wouldn’t actually be a part of the game— though the knife arms could just be the first augment weapon that you get by default to introduce the aug system. idk.

This could also just be the intro prologue and the game really begins when you get woken up by Keanu, and the dudes who fuck you up steal your augments or something. Kinda like how at the beginning of Persona 5 you start out with all the powers in the intro cutscene and then lose them once the actual plot begins

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AtlasTheSpacePirate

AtlasTheSpacePirate Senior Member

United States
    I just want to say that voice acting isn't the end of RPGs. Deus Ex Human Revolution had voice acting and was pretty good.

Regardless, though. I'm a bit worried about other things. Whenever I hear "Choices Matter" I think of Telltale Games where they really don't because it'll railroad you down the same path regardless, and watching the Gameplay Reveal where V tried to just buy the shit from the bad guys with the corpo's money only to be forced to go guns blazing by the game made me grit my teeth.

16. saetia

saetia Legend

United States
    I think the nuance is that in Deus Ex you’re playing as JC Denton/Adam Jensen, clearly defined and established characters who might simply have a number of different things to say or choose from a few different ways to handle a situation. In a game like this where the character is ostensibly supposed to be You(tm) you lose something when you’re stuck to a pre-defined delivery and vocal cadence and demeanor and shit like that

Definitely agree with the bit about railroading though

17. Rabid

Rabid Legend

I'm 99% they've confirmed at E3 that your 'V' will be massively customisable.

The ones we've seen are just defaults.

Also yeah that trailer we saw with the knife hands was totally prerendered for E3.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. AtlasTheSpacePirate

AtlasTheSpacePirate Senior Member

United States
    Is it really supposed to be us? I've never seen it that way. Forcing the character to have a friend (Jackie), and a backstory with only a few differences (Shown by the character creation) always had me thinking that I was playing as V. I could be wrong, though. We'll see in good time.

19. saetia

saetia Legend

United States
    Most WRPGs have circumstances that the player avatar is forced into by default for the sake of plot, like FONV for example :V

I generally assume with WRPGs with a degree of player character customization that you’re intended to project yourself or whatever roleplay concept you might have in mind onto the PC l, but I could be entirely wrong because CDPR made The Witcher which wasn’t like that at all. We’ll see, I hope that if it’s what you suggested CDPR will make V a compelling enough character (though the “surly man with gun” cover art has me a little concerned)

20. Raklo

Raklo Legend

United States
    cd projekt is just rolling in good PR rn

21. Greene

Greene space cowboy

United States
  22. Scouser

Scouser Zealot

United Kingdom
    cover art exists to sell games. i think the sekiro art in the west was changed to make the character look less asian lol. its not a very good representation of the product

23. saetia

saetia Legend

United States
    lol did they really do that to sekiro

perfidious w*sterners

24. Greene

Greene space cowboy

United States
    cyberpunk doesn't need good cover art, nerds

cd projekt red can pretty much sell it just by their name

especially now that keanu has his name on it

25. posepsi

United States
    western kirby is angry

26. snuggles

United Kingdom
    never trust cover art to sell games anymore, it's always shit and always disingenuous to the final product

doom guy standing still doesn't show you anything about doom

a zoom in on t-60 power armor doesn't show you anything about fallout

cyberpunk's boxart is honestly garbo but so is almost every game's.

also, the voiced protag looks like it'll be fine. the gameplay video shows it, there's a good few options for talking

27. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    So, not gonna put this picture directly on the forums since I personally think it can be NSFW, but I was lurking around for some Cyberpunk stuff, and something concerning Nvidia was released, with a few screenshots from the game. Including this.

Really, last warning, don't open at work. http://is2.4chan.org/v/1560297917181.png

I am not sure what to say or think, but considering the setting... Accurate.

Small Edit: I'll go digging for the actual Nvidia stuff to see if there are more screenshots, but this is 100% real, I'm one hundred percent certain.

Small Edit 2: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-partnership-ray-tracing/

28. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
    oh great game for you desrat

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. posepsi

United States
  30. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    ... TBH still gonna get it.
    I plead the fifth.

31. Polioman

Polioman Senior Member

Canada
    I hope truly that they are able to get this game made good. Even if we have to wait more then half a year then at least it will be finished to be better then.

32. snuggles

United Kingdom
  33. Memed

Memed Senior Member

United States