COVID-19

Decibelle

Legend
Oct 30, 2011
So, some news from Australia.

Most of our state borders are closing. The government's basically giving anyone who's employed a full-time income, and everything is shutting down. We have a really good healthcare system, but all my friends who work in it say it'll crumble if things don't get better.

We've finally cracked down REALLY hard and people are starting to listen, but everyone's worried it's too late.

Fastard

My Join Date is Backwards
TRP Admin
Sep 1, 2011
2k confirmed cases in Canada, close to 500 in Ontario. There's a couple in my city, and I still get to work in fast food tomorrow!

I'm also very asthmatic and have damaged lungs so if I get it I'm probably dead. Poggers.

Berkana

Zealot
Apr 7, 2015
20K cases in NYC as of today, 2934 on Long Island. National Guard starting supply chains. Pretty sure the Javitt's Center in the city is about to become a triage.

Harvey Weinstein has it though.

Silver linings, boys. Silver linings...

Decepti

Jan 29, 2015
even living by a smaller city with few confirmed cases, the brunt of the epidemic's effects are being felt here in oklahoma in general

OK in general seems to be in an uneasy peace right now, things aren't exactly bad but a lot of mayors are taking steps to try to prevent the spread as much as they can. where i am, all personal services (i.e. barbers/salons/parlors/spas etc) were just now ordered by the mayor to shut down and remain closed until april. i'm particularly worried about older styled services/small businesses out here like diners/movie theaters/barbers etc that rely on a steady flow of patrons to stay profitable, but other than that things here are still fairly business-as-usual. some of the state's mayors have been criticizing our governor, though, for waiting until the numbers get a bit higher to start shutting down more services

even if it's not that bad here yet, i intend on signing up for my city's emergency management agency and see what kind of effort i can put in or if i can help with communication between them and the community in any way as i'm sure as hell things are going to get worse here before they start to get better

also those barbershops were ordered to shut down literally on the day i was going to go out and get a haircut damnit

Last edited:

Zombiedude101

Zealot
TRP Admin
May 26, 2011
I'm rather tickled that Boris Johnson and others on his cabinet have contracted it or are otherwise at risk because of exposure, considering their initial approach was "if a few pensioners die, so be it" and having played a role in neutering the NHS for the last decade. Just sucks that we're looking down the barrel of government indecision at a time like this.

Last edited:

BMY

Legend
Jul 9, 2016
I'm rather tickled that Boris Johnson and others on his cabinet have contracted it or are otherwise at risk because of exposure, considering their initial approach was "if a few pensioners die, so be it" and having played a role in neutering the NHS for the last decade. Just sucks that we're looking down the barrel of government indecision at a time like this.
We don't stan people getting sick

Zombiedude101

Zealot
TRP Admin
May 26, 2011
We don't stan people getting sick
I just think there's a certain irony that these same people who contributed to the problem are now being directly impacted by it. I don't think it's a good thing in the big picture considering it leaves us operating on a shell of a government but I have no sympathy for the same people who left our nation's healthcare and public services operating on a skeleton crew while claiming to actually give a shit about them in times like this.

Nat Attack

Legend
Dec 28, 2014
I just think there's a certain irony that these same people who contributed to the problem are now being directly impacted by it. I don't think it's a good thing considering it leaves us operating on a shell of a government.
Considering the fact that countries with robust nationalized healthcare systems (e.x., Australia, Canada...) and countries with privatized healthcare systems (e.x., America) were caught equally unawares and are both suffering major health setbacks i really don't think having a more robust NHS would've done much good. The issue every state is facing is that no one adequately planned for a pandemic of this magnitude at all regardless of their healthcare system and once it got into Milan and Tokyo it was bound to get everywhere else regardless of the measures that any particular state took.

Scouser

Zealot
Aug 3, 2011
Boris Johnson is a vile indefensible Etonian gristle flap and the best thing he could do is register his grave as a unisex toilet but good god if he croaks and we get Dominic Raab instead I will fuck

Owain6521

XCCR Ration Hoarder
May 30, 2011
Considering the fact that countries with robust nationalized healthcare systems (e.x., Australia, Canada...) and countries with privatized healthcare systems (e.x., America) were caught equally unawares and are both suffering major health setbacks i really don't think having a more robust NHS would've done much good. The issue every state is facing is that no one adequately planned for a pandemic of this magnitude at all regardless of their healthcare system and once it got into Milan and Tokyo it was bound to get everywhere else regardless of the measures that any particular state took.
it turns out that the robust nationalized healthcare system you're talking about being trimmed back or having problems caused by the conservatives for years didn't help with their ability to cope

who would have thought

Last edited:

Zombiedude101

Zealot
TRP Admin
May 26, 2011
Nonetheless it's fairly disgusting that these same people who allowed if not outright advocated for the defunding and dismantling of the NHS to bare minimum funding (among many other things) are claiming to champion it and its underpaid, overworked staff. That Johnson got tested over minor symptoms while NHS staff are struggling to procure tests for themselves.

Not to mention they've converted the Department of Work and Pensions into an inquisitorial shitshow over the last decade and left the welfare systems in a shamble where we're looking at thousands if not millions of unemployed. They've left the vulnerable and disabled in an even more dire position than they already had, speaking from personal experience.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)

• OhYeah290
  • Cato
  • Skippy